Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭mjp

See England have named a near full strength side for clash against us next Saturday in twickenham.

What sort of team do we expect joe to select? Will he risk o Connell murray and sexton as we are in big trouble if they pick up an injury but our half backs look like they need some gametime to sharpen up.

We're in a much better position than likes of wales england in that we start off campaign against the lower ranked sides

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

mjp wrote: »
    See England have named a near full strength side for clash against us next Saturday in twickenham.

What sort of team do we expect joe to select? Will he risk o Connell murray and sexton as we are in big trouble if they pick up an injury but our half backs look like they need some gametime to sharpen up.

We're in a much better position than likes of wales england in that we start off campaign against the lower ranked sides
    I think all three should play given their performances last week. I think the rest of the team are better up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Ceadog wrote: »
    Heard that Gatland never informed the Welsh players that weren't going, all of them found out off of the TV, on the plane or no.

Is it just me or is that a bit ****?

I really... Really dislike Gatland. Totally unrelated to his time with Ireland as I was only a kid at the time.
    He has an obsession with media hype, talking ****e about opponents, these big reveals (even the bloody jersey needed a big reveal). He seems like a genuinely nasty character. The polar opposite to Schmidt.... And dont get me started on those 12 man lineouts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I find that hard to believe that Gatland didn't contact the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

CatFromHue wrote: »

i dont! Nothing would surprise me with that egomaniac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Number of players from each clubs in the RWC. This isn't 100% accurate as it seems to be missing Connacht and Munster at Ryan jest, but it's interesting anyway

CN02yVxWsAAPpx4.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Why are some clubs on the list twice e.g. Toulon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Sangre wrote: »
    Why are some clubs on the list twice e.g. Toulon?

It's two lists; list on the left is all clubs, on the right is France only. That's why Munster and Connacht don't appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Apparently if a player is suspended at the RWC they can't be replaced. Replacements are only allowed on medical or compassionate grounds.

Could be a real problem for the squads with only 2 hookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Have just read a quote on Sky from Zebo that seems to suggest they found out by email?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

My understanding is that players in the squad got an email players out of the squad got a phonecall.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ceadog wrote: »
    Apparently if a player is suspended at the RWC they can't be replaced. Replacements are only allowed on medical or compassionate grounds.

Could be a real problem for the squads with only 2 hookers.

And if they are injured for a game and a replacement brought up, they have to be left out of the squad after that, they cannot come back into the squad
    My understanding is that players in the squad got an email players out of the squad got a phonecall.

Simon Zebo has mentioned it a few times, that he kept refreshing his email over and over, and was onto Keith Earls to see if he got anything, then when he got it, checking the following morning to make sure it was still there. Schmidt has referenced phonecalls a number of times, speaking to players

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Fiji v Canada warm up in the Stoop on Sunday - whats the betting I might bump into some Irish coaching staff there?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Fiji v Canada warm up in the Stoop on Sunday - whats the betting I might bump into some Irish coaching staff there?? :D

warren gatland might be there too.

aimee1 wrote: »
    warren gatland might be there too.

Will I give him a dig from BOD?? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Australian team for their match against the USA
    1. James Slipper (c), 2. Tatafu Polota-Nau, 3. Greg Holmes, 4. Kane Douglas, 5. Rob Simmons, 6. Ben McCalman (vc), 7. Sean McMahon, 8. Wycliff Palu, 9. Nick Phipps, 10. Bernard Foley, 11. Rob Horne, 12. Matt Giteau (vc), 13. Henry Speight, 14. Joe Tomane, 15. Kurtley Beale.

Reserves: 16. James Hanson, 17. Scott Sio, 18. Toby Smith, 19. Dean Mumm, 20. Sam Carter, 21. Quade Cooper, 22. Will Genia, 23. Taqele Naiyaravoro.

Includes 3 players (Hanson, Carter, Naiyaravoro) not in the WC squad. Largely a second choice team apart from Phipps, Foley and Giteau who are being given a chance to gel together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'm fascinated by this Naiyaravoro guy. I'd say Glasgow rue the day they got into bed with him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,090 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm fascinated by this Naiyaravoro guy. I'd say Glasgow rue the day they got into bed with him.

really strange clause to include in a contract formed pre world cup, if he reneges i cant help not feel sorry for glasgow.

the whole mess of contracts this year with cooper, naholo, douglas and others is going to put a lot of NH clubs off searching the SH for prospective players.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    really strange clause to include in a contract formed pre world cup, if he reneges i cant help not feel sorry for glasgow.

the whole mess of contracts this year with cooper, naholo, douglas and others is going to put a lot of NH clubs off searching the SH for prospective players.

I think it's just the Aussies we need to avoid. They're just all mad in that part of the hemisphere.

Wales and Australia could face sanctions over lack of frontrow cover
    "Decision to name only two hookers in World Cup squads could backfire"

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/wales-and-australia-could-face-sanctions-over-lack-of-frontrow-cover-1.2338047

Would be pleased if Gatland got caught out!
    Ireland have no worries here. Madser & Tadhger :P

• Advertisement

Would it make sense at all to expand the size of the WC squad considering so many countries have elected to run some kind of injury risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/wales-and-australia-could-face-sanctions-over-lack-of-frontrow-cover-1.2338047

It's a stupid risk

Part of me hopes it backfires, the other part of me would feel so devastated for the welsh fans if their world cup was ruined because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Would it make sense at all to expand the size of the WC squad considering so many countries have elected to run some kind of injury risk?
    It wouldn't really be fair to the smaller nations who haven't got such a large pool of world class players to choose from

I thought 32 would be a better number. Insofar as you must bring 3 LH, TH and Hooker. But i remember one poster rightly pointing out that it would be unfair on the weaker nations. i.e. bigger squads.
    More front row players would suit Georgia or Romania but probably not Japan or Fiji.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ticket sales for US vs Wallybees this weekend in Chicago don't look too healthy: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04004EB4D1052F11&#ref=usarugby

I wonder if this will have any impact on the rumoured US/Maori & Ireland/NZ double header in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Robshaw, Billy Vunipola, Dusatoir, Nyanga, Faletau, Aaron Smith, Folau, Fekitoa, Nonu, Halfpenny.

Any of these unlikely to start? Considering for fantasy teams haha.

Robshaw, Billy Vunipola, Dusatoir, Nyanga, Faletau, Aaron Smith, Folau, Fekitoa, Nonu, Halfpenny.

unlikely to start what? the first round RWC games?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In a first choice team, I assume?

Good chance BV loses out to Ben Morgan at this point. Good luck picking the French back row, doubt Nyanga will start; he has only one start for France this year.

Fekitoa won't start unless there's an injury (or maybe even two).

Robshaw, Faletau, Dusautoir, Smith, Folau, Nonu and Halfpenny will all be first choice.

Oz, Uruguay, Wales, USA, Arg, Namibia all have only 2 hookers.

• Advertisement

the teams are going to chop and change a lot for the first few weeks, so look at the fixtures and see what games the "first teamers" will be put out
    for example, the AB's are up against the argies first out so they will most likely put out their first team, as so might Argentina... whereas wales play Uruguay so the will rest a lot of their first liners, and use it to try out players in different positions.

if you select a "best" fifteen to start with you might find a lot of them not playing.

also look at whos carrying niggles (L williams), whos in form (D Kearney) and who will best score points for you in each week.

Advertisement