Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Should I start another thread for it then, do you think?
    yeah do. Gets more people involved as theyre more likely to see it as long as thread stays on front page of the rugby forum...
    Even though superbru competitions have their own thread I can throw code for that there as well....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Is any one else less enthusiastic about the RWC lately?

I don't know if it was the last two games or what that put me off, but I'm no longer counting down the days. I know they shouldn't be read into too much, but nonetheless..

Semi final or bust!

moleyv wrote: »
    Is any one else less enthusiastic about the RWC lately?

I don't know if it was the last two games or what that put me off, but I'm no longer counting down the days. I know they shouldn't be read into too much, but nonetheless..

Semi final or bust!

The Irish results haven't put me off but I am a little disappointed by the Welsh injuries. I was really looking forward to seeing Pool A play out, as I'm sure anyone not from those 3 countries was. Hopefully Wales can pull themselves together in time to still make it competitive.

The Irish results haven't put me off but I am a little disappointed by the Welsh injuries. I was really looking forward to seeing Pool A play out, as I'm sure anyone not from those 3 countries was. Hopefully Wales can pull themselves together in time to still make it competitive.

I've no doubt I'll be enjoying it once it kicks off, Pool A hopefully lives up to the hype. I've a feeling they will be awful close slogs of games. If they are Wales will truly pay for their injuries.

Ireland will hopefully find their rhythm, I'm very interested to see how the pacific island teams get on.

Thinking about all this now is building back the enthusiasm!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've no doubt I'll be enjoying it once it kicks off, Pool A hopefully lives up to the hype. I've a feeling they will be awful close slogs of games. If they are Wales will truly pay for their injuries.

Ireland will hopefully find their rhythm, I'm very interested to see how the pacific island teams get on.

Thinking about all this now is building back the enthusiasm!

I'm looking forward to it so much I've planned my holidays away so as not to miss any Ireland match :D

My biggest dilemma will be choosing what channel to watch the games on. Tv3 doesn't have HD?

My biggest dilemma will be choosing what channel to watch the games on. Tv3 doesn't have HD?

It does. It launched a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Hang on, I've just checked and it's disappeared again. Maybe they were just testing it out?

EDIT: Hang on, I've just checked and it's disappeared again. Maybe they were just testing it out?

Hopefully they will have it for the start of the RWC. I'll likely watch it on itv, I used to watch the premiership highlights on there, the lads are a bit drole but at least they have an idea what they are on about.

Hopefully they will have it for the start of the RWC. I'll likely watch it on itv, I used to watch the premiership highlights on there, the lads are a bit drole but at least they have an idea what they are on about.

Unfortunately we don't get ITV anymore since the switch over to UTV Ireland at the start of the year. I think the lineup TV3 has isn't too shabby. I'll have to put up with them whether they're good or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

It does. It launched a few weeks ago.

TV3 is only available on skys HD package
    Not available on Saorview

Wang King wrote: »
    TV3 is only available on skys HD package
    Not available on Saorview

I have UPC. Like I said it appeared for a few days maybe 2 weeks ago but is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Rhys Webb is confirmed to be out, Mike Phillips and Eli Walker called up. A lot of calls for Phillips to be the starting 9 now, I say England, Australia and Fiji would be happy enough with that.

Isn't Phillips a bit of a liability to have on the pitch for 80 minutes? I seem to recall him trying to get involved in argie bargie on a couple of matches with Ireland. Maybe he just doesn't like us.

Happy to see Eli Walker get the call up. Thought he was their one bright spark in the first warm up match again us.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Gareth Davies will surely start? He is a try machine for Scarlets.

Calling for Phillips to be starting 9 makes no sense given he was axed before the final squad was even decided. He wasn't considered good enough to keep in camp for the full period but people think he should start?

I think every team is well aware that all you need to do is get under Phillips skin a little and he will fly off the handle.

Parisse has had surgery to remove a hematoma. No word as to how long he'll be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Parisse has had surgery to remove a hematoma. No word as to how long he'll be out.

I read that he's battling to be fit for the world cup. Would be such a shame if he wasn't able to make it. A true legend of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

might be an idea to start a thread for each of the four pools?

• Advertisement

aimee1 wrote: »
    might be an idea to start a thread for each of the four pools?

I suppose rather than having individual match threads for non Ireland matches 4 pool threads would be a good idea.

I suppose rather than having individual match threads for non Ireland matches 4 pool threads would be a good idea.

I'd say the big Pool A matches warrant their own threads.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Coburger wrote: »
    I read that he's battling to be fit for the world cup. Would be such a shame if he wasn't able to make it. A true legend of the game.

Really hoping he recovers to make it, Italy are a different team without him

I'd say the big Pool A matches warrant their own threads.

Probably right. But as far as Canada v Romania or the likes all in the pool thread I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yeah pool threads are probably the way to go. Obviously Irish matches and any big games can have their owns threads (if someone wants to start them). Who knows, I might even do a match preview for a game. Maybe. Unlikely. Possibly. We'll see how I feel nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭phog

phog wrote: »

It's a fair enough interview. Tiny bit of humble pie towards Phillips maybe.

Can't understand the Halfpenny criticism he is getting.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Bit of a weird one, if anyone hears any Ireland promos for radio, involving Simon Lewis (voice of Twickenham Stadium) can you let me know. He interviewed me for the piece and would like to hear it

It's a fair enough interview. Tiny bit of humble pie towards Phillips maybe.

Can't understand the Halfpenny criticism he is getting.

You can understand in a way people wondering why Halfpenny was on the pitch at that point but at the same time Wales weren't the only team to put out a full strength team at the weekend and plenty of starters were still on the pitch at the end of our game with England. If he hadn't been hurt nobody would be questioning it. Sounds an obvious thing to say but that's how it is. If Halfpenny had finished that match in one piece the talk would all be about how important it was to get the win and go into the WC on the back of two wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Criticism of Halfpenny being on the pitch is very silly, to my mind. Are they supposed to just wrap the guy up in cotton wool and let him play only the England and Australia games when he's completely undercooked and not match fit? He did his ACL with nobody near him. He could have done it in training or in a previous game. If he did it in April, he'd still be out of the RWC.

You can't simply avoid game time for a player. He needed to play and had only one appearance for Wales in the warm ups prior to the weekend. He got hurt. It happens. Bizarre logic by those blaming Gatland.

Shane Williams is a daft sod for raising it.

Advertisement