Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is medical/other health science school going?

Options
  • 25-09-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭

I have a week on one of my favourite specialities coming up. :D

I'm busy, but in a good way.

Just finished a week on something dull, so glad to be moving on. It was educational all the same. :cool:

How about the rest of you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MLH1

It would be alot more interesting if You told us what the week of something dull was? And also what your looking forward to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

MLH1 wrote: »
    It would be alot more interesting if You told us what the week of something dull was? And also what your looking forward to?

That'd make me immediately identifiable, for this week anyway. I'm not comfortable with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Does that not render the thread pointless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

who is this chancer

Jammyc wrote: »
    Does that not render the thread pointless?
    Not one bit. There will be many weeks when the speciality won't give my identity away. Plus, this was supposed to incorporate the experience of others too.

I'd be delighted to hear from people who are just learning to cannulate/suture etc., or who might like some help or advice on particular topics that wouldn't warrant an entire thread and I thought this was a nice idea. I also thought it might be good to start another rare thread that wasn't about getting into medicine.

I didn't expect this inquisition! :P

• Advertisement

who is this chancer
    There really is no need to be unpleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

going to be studying anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pathology, basic thuganomics, brb not giving out when and where because it will give away where i am :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

OP, are you a med student or a secret agent? ;)

I made it into fourth year ok. Third year went pretty well. Enjoyed Path, Pharm, Micro and Ophth. ENT not so much.

Did an elective in Pathology during the Summer. Definitely do not want to be a pathologist. I'm glad I found that out sooner than later. Reckon I might do one in surgery this summer.

On a Paeds rotation at the moment. Find that the USMLE study is really helping me out, even this year. Wouldn't have a clue about meiotic nondisjunctions and metabolic diseases otherwise.

Have Obs and Gynae, Psych and GP rotations to do after this one and thats pretty much fourth year.

Well thats my story so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

who is this chancer

Someone a bit more interested in something outside a GAMSAT thread?

I'm starting EVERYTHING :D (first year, first class, first panic as notes don't down load....) It's my second time back in college, you think I'd remember the computer issues from the first time. Looking forward to anatomy and physiology.Not looking forward so much to SGL, but that's just general group learning worries, I'm sure that'll be put to bed soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I just spent a week doing something really interesting and hope next week is the same.

• Advertisement

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Someone a bit more interested in something outside a GAMSAT thread?

I'm starting EVERYTHING :D (first year, first class, first panic as notes don't down load....) It's my second time back in college, you think I'd remember the computer issues from the first time. Looking forward to anatomy and physiology.Not looking forward so much to SGL, but that's just general group learning worries, I'm sure that'll be put to bed soon :)

Not the biggest fan of SGL, but I've survived it so far! I loved first year. 'A laugh plus a half' I believe is the scientific term. ;)
    OP, are you a med student or a secret agent? ;)

Definitely a medical student, but sometimes I like to pretend I'm a secret agent when I wander the hospital corridors alone. :cool:

I can't wait for all my surgical ones, A and E and psych, but not so excited about the likes of... actually I'm really excited about it all. :D Following last year, I absolutely love orthopaedics and I could probably happily suture all day long.

Got that surgery elective sorted.
    Will be shooting off to Pennsylvania over the summer.
    Penn university is an affiliate of TCD along with Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Duke University Hospital. They are supposed to be pretty decent places to do an elective.
    Hoping to do it in general surgery. Failing that I have cardiac surgery, vascular surgery, gastroenterology and endocrinology down as my other choices.

Do you do electives in UCC physrocks?

We do! Did some surgery this summer (but didn't leave the aul sod). Hoping to go to perhaps South America this year.

Any idea what you want to go into eventually?

Have a month of various medicine placements starting this month, and ENT and Vascular and Urology in November. Can't wait for November, but undecided on how I feel about this month - keeping an open mind, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

who is this chancer
    I just spent a week doing something really interesting and hope next week is the same.

if you cant contribute constructively then don't contribute at all. if you persist in posting in this manner the choice will be taken away from you. you've received plenty notice /warnings already in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I'm one month into second year grad med and it's so much more interesting than first year... pathology for one thing is cool, we are doing a little bit on the wards and with plastic people etc.

I tried cannulation on the wards there in June and it's SO SCARY! The feeling when you get in all right without murdering anyone is pretty sweet though :D

Any idea what you want to go into eventually?

Nope, not a clue. And I have become less and less sure as time has gone on. Sure I have plenty of time to be deciding on that....... I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Nope, not a clue. And I have become less and less sure as time has gone on. Sure I have plenty of time to be deciding on that....... I hope.

you have loads of time, honestly.

from my class, there were two of us who went straight into psych, two into paeds, three into gp and all the rest did either surgical or medical schemes. loads of people changed course after a while in a specialty and people went in really surprising directions. relatively few people have a definite idea that they ultimately stick with while at undergraduate level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Started in RCSI exactly a month and a day ago.

Thrown into the deep end wouldn't even begin to describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

jtsuited wrote: »
    Started in RCSI exactly a month and a day ago.

Thrown into the deep end wouldn't even begin to describe it.

same (UCD)

loving it but its a lot of work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Made it to 3rd med and I've found that I've really come in to my own this year. My first rotation was a great success and I really loved it. Into a month of lectures now which, although a bit tedious at times, is actually pretty interesting.
    I've also found that I can manage my time now, which is a nice revelation! Somehow managing to fit in all of my college work commitments and a nice healthy gym regime, and still have time to get involved with societies and the odd night out. It's great!

I'm doing a surgical rotation next month which I'm semi-dreading though. I think I'm going to be completely out of my comfort zone, but what-ya-gonna-do...

• Advertisement

I just had a week of lectures. It was dull in quite a few places.

I have a medical rotation coming up now, which is supposed to be tough, but looking forward all the same. I should have a bit of gastro, bit of resp, bit of neuro and some cardiology too.

Dreading neuro, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Tis mad craic altogether! :cool: requires maaajor change to my study methods,but might as well embrace the change :pac:

Having a bit of a non rotation! Resorting to attending the tutorials of others and seeing patients of unrelated teams. It's okay, though, and changing to another department next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Just started 1st Year... and I really love it so far. :) Feeling a little bit overwhelmed at the minute with anatomy and biochemistry though :/ Just hope that I can get better at them soon and somehow find ways to study them well soon. I clock in the time but seem to walk away knowing so little. Hoping it all comes together somehow before exams :/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

wayhey wrote: »
    Just started 1st Year... and I really love it so far. :) Feeling a little bit overwhelmed at the minute with anatomy and biochemistry though :/ Just hope that I can get better at them soon and somehow find ways to study them well soon. I clock in the time but seem to walk away knowing so little. Hoping it all comes together somehow before exams :/

I honestly think that first term is the hardest in most of the colleges. It's very overwhelming but if you put in the time and just keep trying to understand the main concepts you should do grand come exam time. I was non-science going in and felt completely at sea for the first few months but it does all start to click. As for forgetting a lot; that's unfortunately a feature you'll get used to! I'm always having to look up things we 'learnt' last year but the good side of that is the second time round you generally just need to glance over something again and you remember what it was about. I found getting your friends to mutually quiz each other in the dissection room was really useful - deeply embarassing because I knew so little a lot of the time, but it does help solidify things and usually someone has studied anatomy before and knows way more than everyone else (annoying in one sense but useful in another sense!). Drawing things out also helps a lot and Acland's videos got me through most of my card signings. Biochem is unfortunately more of a repetition game - invest in a white board and draw out the biosythesis pathways til you're blue in the face before exams. It's a lot to take in but stick with it, you'll be fine :)

edit: Oops, just realised you're in the undergrad course but most of this still applies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm really liking 3rd year! It feels like we're finally starting to learn actual medicine. So far this year I've had a medical rotation and a month of clinical pathology, pharmacology, and microbiology lectures. I can't wait to go back on a medical rotation with all of the taught material to back me up, I feel like I know way more now.

Starting an ophthalmology placement next week though, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Second year in trinners is a bit boring content wise. Anatomy's gone from my favourite subject to one of my most boring. I hate the project we're doing as it means we go over the same material every week rather than new and exciting organs like last term. Clinical biochemistry lacks clinical stuff (our first 6 lectures were on collagen, fibronectin etc...), and Tallagh hospital is way too far away. Buzzing for next year/things to get more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Its been a long time since I posted here so hello again! Made it to final year eventually and am really enjoying reading this thread and seeing how everyone is getting on in their respective years. I am getting quiet nostalgic now as I think back through the years myself :o

I have to say that 4th year was horrendous and glad to see the back of that. This year is quite exciting as we are so close to finishing!

Just remember as you go through - when it gets tough, dig deep and know that you are capable of getting through. Its sometimes hard to keep perpective also, so look after yourself, your friends and your family. Onwards and upwards people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

God, I've just finished my masters, and looking at this thread really makes me want to do medicine. :)

Good for you guys!

• Advertisement

I got the two rotations I was more apprehensive about out of the way and am quite excited about the rest. Having minor motivation difficulties at the minute, though. :o Perhaps a bit of the fear factor might be the kick I need...

Advertisement