Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is medical/other health science school going?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

Can now officially add 'room full of fake penises' to list of weird places medschool has sent me. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Rotation timetable changed again. They have now decided to place me so far out of Dublin that I'm in an NHS hospital. No joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

weeeeird =/ where?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Paeds next week. Halp!

Freshers week is awfully distracting. Getting no study done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Just found out a few in my class won't be allowed repeat the year because they failed their repeat exams :( Heartbroken for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 raftni

what school and year Jesse ?
    we lost one or two ourselves due to the same :(
    heartbreaking :(

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Just found out a few in my class won't be allowed repeat the year because they failed their repeat exams :( Heartbroken for them.

Won't be allowed or can't afford to repeat the year?? The college is usually very good at giving students 2nd and 3rd chances of getting through exams. Seems strange.

Larianne wrote: »
    Won't be allowed or can't afford to repeat the year?? The college is usually very good at giving students 2nd and 3rd chances of getting through exams. Seems strange.

Seemingly it's only in 'exceptional' circumstances they'll let them repeat 1st year, otherwise they're counted as excluded. I didn't believe it myself but it's in the Health Science regulations. One didn't get their exams by 1%:eek: that's draconian at it's extreme! It's in the hands of various tutors now, so here's hoping :(

Wow, that's a new one. :eek: I've heard of systems where you can only repeat one year in the entire way up but this is a lot worse.

So those people just have to leave medschool now?

Seems quite wrong really... :(

Seemingly it's only in 'exceptional' circumstances they'll let them repeat 1st year, otherwise they're counted as excluded. I didn't believe it myself but it's in the Health Science regulations. One didn't get their exams by 1%:eek: that's draconian at it's extreme! It's in the hands of various tutors now, so here's hoping :(

Really? Is it a new thing? I was speaking to a med friend back in first year asking about the drop out rate and he said it's quite small, but that lots of people repeat the year. :confused: Is it just for Medicine? That 1% person better be asking to see their papers again! Then the ones who can't repeat the year? Don't understand that AT ALL.

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Really? Is it a new thing? I was speaking to a med friend back in first year asking about the drop out rate and he said it's quite small, but that lots of people repeat the year. :confused: Is it just for Medicine? That 1% person better be asking to see their papers again! Then the ones who can't repeat the year? Don't understand that AT ALL.

No idea if it's a new thing, but aye, it's just plain horrible. We had repeats in our year alright so I'm not entirely sure how it works/what exceptional circumstances are... :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Horrible to see people fail out. the drop out rate in medicine is really very low. In my (and DrZ's!) class there were only 5-6 AFAIR, and that was over 6 years. Always gutted to see someone fail to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I failed first year back in the day (as in failed the initial exams and failed the summer repeats). I repeated first year and it was made perfectly clear to me at the time that if I failed another year in the same "cycle", you were not allowed to repeat again. In RCSI there are 3 cycles, junior, intermediate and senior cycle. When I was there, you could repeat a year in a cycle but if you failed again you were out.

When I was in final year there was a rumour that if you failed final year and failed the repeat exams, you could not repeat final year. Dont know how true that is. Maybe they brought that rule in across the board last year?

Thats very harsh. Failing first year was probably one of the best things that could have happened to me back then. I got my life together, and never did it again! I used it as an opertunity to develop myself and I am so glad I made that investment now. Much more level headed now :) (with the token bit of crazy of course :p)

The more of final med I do, the more convinced I am of how much I want to be a doctor. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I sliced my hand open on a fence and had surgery on it during the week. Will be spending the next four weeks in a splint. Smashing start to the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm doing Paediatrics at the moment, and it's so unbelievably good. I did my Summer elective in Paediatric Oncology, and tbh before I did that I would never, ever, EVER, have thought working with children was for me, at all. But it is. I think I've actually found something I really, really enjoy and would love to do. Kids are awesome.
    I grew a little disheartened at times last year with some of my rotations tbh so I'm really glad to not be feeling "meh" about Medicine this year. Hopefully I'll keep on riding this wave of enthusiasm for a while!

Testing reflexes. Official verdict: Cool. Very cool. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I know that in my college the rules are such that the school reserves the right not to let you repeat first year (to give them discretion to not let people go further if they don't seem to be able for the course). In practice, a lot of people get a second go at repeats and very few (if any) are excluded.

blubloblu wrote: »
    I know that in my college the rules are such that the school reserves the right not to let you repeat first year (to give them discretion to not let people go further if they don't seem to be able for the course). In practice, a lot of people get a second go at repeats and very few (if any) are excluded.

We're in the same place :p:D :eek:, thankfully mostly positive resolutions to this, i have to say, and credit where credit is due, the tutors did a fantastic job. The initial scare though was horrible and could have been handled better by all parties, but I believe for the most part it worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Psychiatry probably always appealed to me most out of all the specialties, and I was kind of worried that the placement wouldn't live up to my expectations. Fortunately, I'm enjoying it an awful lot. Based in a primary care centre with frequent forays into the inpatient unit in hospital. It's just so different to anything I've done before. As odd/insensitive as it sounds, it's just so fascinating to meet people with really profound delusions and hallucinations, or thought disorder. It's just so bloody fascinating. I imagine that perhaps someday I may see myself going into research in such a fascinatingly fascinating area. I'm fascinated.

I'm also surprised at how pleasant outpatient review clinic can be; people with terrible mental illnesses can get better and do well, despite popular belief. It's cool to be able to meet people who are living proof that the "psychiatry is miserable because no one gets better" school of thought is incorrect.

I have two more weeks of general placement and then I've two weeks of adolescent psych, which I'm really looking forward to as well.

I don't want this placement to end and to have to go back to smelly old medicine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Any recommendations for a surgery book? I've no idea what to go for aside from a suggestion from a 5th year. I think he recommended essential surgery by Burkitt. I just remember the author's last name starting with a B! I'm only in 3rd year btw!

Also is there much different between the Basic Robbins and the bigger one? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

theowen wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a surgery book? I've no idea what to go for aside from a suggestion from a 5th year. I think he recommended essential surgery by Burkitt. I just remember the author's last name starting with a B! I'm only in 3rd year btw!

Also is there much different between the Basic Robbins and the bigger one? Thanks! :)

The difference between the basic and big Robbins is this - you will waste many more hours of your life with the big Robbins than with the basic one. Don't make the same mistake I did.

So, there's a distinct possibility after this week I may end up repeating the year I just finished, partly because I can not see this exam going well, and partly because well, I'm being forced to admit my performance isn't as good as it could be because I'm not well since my little incident earlier in August. I'm still getting tired ridiculously easily and despite small leaps and bounds, I may have to admit I'm pushing myself too hard. I'm actually not too broken by it as a possibility though if it happens, will mean a year out of the plans but knowing my stuff better can't be that bad really, and it'll give me a bit of time to fix myself. Now, what I was thinking of doing, since I won't have every subject to repeat, is to take up a volunteer placement somewhere for a different view/bit of experience. I'm volunteering in two hospitals at the moment, so would anyone have any other suggestions for organisations willing to take on an early 30's first med?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

theowen wrote: »

I'm generally a fan of any good revision book because so many surgeons seem to like point-form-esque answers. I may be a bit of an "at a glance" junkie, though. Burkitt is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't used it, but have heard nice things! I found Davidson's surgery book to be a bit off the point, but that may have had more to do with my learning style than the book.
    So, there's a distinct possibility after this week I may end up repeating the year I just finished, partly because I can not see this exam going well, and partly because well, I'm being forced to admit my performance isn't as good as it could be because I'm not well since my little incident earlier in August. I'm still getting tired ridiculously easily and despite small leaps and bounds, I may have to admit I'm pushing myself too hard. I'm actually not too broken by it as a possibility though if it happens, will mean a year out of the plans but knowing my stuff better can't be that bad really, and it'll give me a bit of time to fix myself. Now, what I was thinking of doing, since I won't have every subject to repeat, is to take up a volunteer placement somewhere for a different view/bit of experience. I'm volunteering in two hospitals at the moment, so would anyone have any other suggestions for organisations willing to take on an early 30's first med?

Maybe ask your faculty how to contact a good consultant in a field you like? I had help from some lovely, lovely surgeons when I had just started first med. They might be willing to take you for a placement. If you're stressed or want to talk through suggestions or anything, PM always open. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I am so very over lectures, after only six weeks. Can't wait to start back on placement next week, although then I'll probably start to bitch about sore feet and a sore back.

It'll still be good to do something practical though, much as I enjoyed pharmacology this semester my brain is melting a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

although then I'll probably start to bitch about sore feet and a sore back.

My feet and back are so very sore. I love surgery but more sitting would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Intern application time!

It's all beginning to seem so real now. It feels like only yesterday I was in first med, not sure I'd make it through one year. Now we only have a few months to go.

I'm quite excited, but nervous too. :)

(Yes, I do realise that my post is full of cliches, but they're all true.)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Captain Albection

Intern application time!

Just sent mine off there! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Good luck lads and lasses
    It's tough, it's hard it's tiring but by God it's the start of a helluwa ride .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

AndrewJD wrote: »
    My feet and back are so very sore. I love surgery but more sitting would be appreciated.
    I am not looking forward to my theatre placements...as a nurse im on my feet all day but I'd much prefer to be running round in circles on a ward than standing still for hours. Ouch.

Loving my community placement at the moment. In 8-4 five days a week, it's like being a normal person again <3

Advertisement