Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is medical/other health science school going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Doing a short Global Health course this week, some interesting stuff. Then it's on to two weeks of Psych lectures and workshops, and then I start my first surgical rotation.

I approve of 3rd year very much, now it's just time to get my arse in gear and start studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It was kinda worrying that a 3rd year med had to ask what ESR stood for in an IPL workshop today. :eek:

Placement (again!) next week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Just spent the night on call with the intern. If you have the chance to do so it's a great experience especially when there's a student on call room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Larianne wrote: »
    It was kinda worrying that a 3rd year med had to ask what ESR stood for in an IPL workshop today. :eek:

Placement (again!) next week. :D

I found those IPL sessions really good. Maybe it was just the group I was in but I learned a lot from the OT student in our group re Mx of stroke and RA pts.

Have they put on more sessions this year. We only had two, but I believe many students said they would like more in a feedback session we had.

I found those IPL sessions really good. Maybe it was just the group I was in but I learned a lot from the OT student in our group re Mx of stroke and RA pts.

Have they put on more sessions this year. We only had two, but I believe many students said they would like more in a feedback session we had.

We have three days of them. Third is an older aged patient. I think they benefit the Meds the most. They don't really seem to know what Allied Health Professionals do. It is good though. It'll help them know when it is appropriate for referrals and just maybe appreciate our roles in the care of patients.

I didn't have much knowledge of what SALTs Ax involved so that was beneficial to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Student nursing is exhausting. No time. No energy. No money. Come on internship, only three years away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

On ObGyn this month. When it started, I thought I'd hate it and I did. But now, two weeks in, it's actually beginning to grow on me. :)

It's very tiring though.... (Which, admittedly makes it the same as every other specialty but I'm very tired now so I'm going to mention it anyway).

2 weeks of basic psychology and psychiatry lectures and I'm even more attracted to it. Shame I don't get to do psych placement 'til fourth year. I think it could be the one...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I just paid $960 for the USMLE Step 1 in September. The reality of how boring my life will be for the next 7 months has just hit home. Worst $960 I ever spent.

Biologic wrote: »
    I just paid $960 for the USMLE Step 1 in September. The reality of how boring my life will be for the next 7 months has just hit home. Worst $960 I ever spent.

I just booked a date at the Prometric centre today. April the 23rd cannot come soon enough.
    Best of luck to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Wow, the USMLE's are so expensive! Jesus! Won't be doing them anytime soon!

UK elective sorted! :D Neurology/Neurosurgery.

Larianne wrote: »
    UK elective sorted! :D Neurology/Neurosurgery.

Nice. Will you be present in the neurosurg theatre during operations?

Nice. Will you be present in the neurosurg theatre during operations?

Oh, I'm sure that could be a possibility but after my last experience at a hip surgery I may be best to avoid. :o Not usually squeamish.

I really love Ophthalmology, what a lovely job it would be. NomRotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Words just cannot describe what a huge relief it is to be finished with my most recent lecture block. The sheer discomfort of sitting still at a desk without leg room between 8.30 and 6 is horrendous. Some of the lectures were genuinely very good, but it was still unpleasant.

Absolutely cannot wait to get back to the hospital. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

Hitting the hospitals on our first placement on a few weeks........! I cannot wait for it, eek!

Got a first on placement. Boo-yah! :D

bythewoods wrote: »
    I really love Ophthalmology, what a lovely job it would be. NomRotation.

If you enjoy opth you should consider giving the Duke Elder a bash. You get a lovely wee certificate from them if you pass.

If you enjoy opth you should consider giving the Duke Elder a bash. You get a lovely wee certificate from them if you pass.

Yeah, I sat it on Wednesday actually.

Jesus, it was tough/ soul-destroying.
    Apparently you need 70% in it to pass? Doubt I got that. Ah sure. I'm over-prepared for the Summer exams now.

• Advertisement

bythewoods wrote: »

Yeah, I sat it on Wednesday actually.

Jesus, it was tough/ soul-destroying.
    Apparently you need 70% in it to pass? Doubt I got that. Ah sure. I'm over-prepared for the Summer exams now.

Aye it was 70% last year, although even getting over 50% in that exam is an accomplishment imo.
    If your finals is anything like mine last year you will be seriously happy you studied for the Duke Elder.
    There was a load of MCQs on rare eponymous syndromes and other bits that you would only come across in Kanski and the Oxford Handbook of Ophth.

Just trying to remember some of the tougher topics covered in case they appear again......
    The difference between acute and chronic Adies pupil, Foster Kennedy, legal definitions of blindness, loads of stuff on autoimmune diseases effects on the eye, side effects of anti glaucoma drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Finals are looming...........

Neurology: it is good.

A Neurotic wrote: »

SJH or Tallaght?

A Neurotic wrote: »

SJH or Tallaght?

Bonus answer C: NRH.

Ah, I was in NRH myself.
    Great wee place. Shame you only get two weeks there.
    Is Dr. McElligott still teaching there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Last placement of 4th year coming up. I can't quite believe it. First year feels so recent.

USMLE in 20 days. I'm slowly going crazy.

Ah, I was in NRH myself.
    Great wee place. Shame you only get two weeks there.
    Is Dr. McElligott still teaching there?

It's a lovely rotation - relaxed enough, but still with a good daily schedule and lots of teaching.

Dr McElligot is great, I was really nervous about presenting to her today (we'd been lead to believe she really grills you) but she was cool.

Annoyed that tomorrow is the last day of the rotation, due to lectures on Thursday and Good Friday on... Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Speaking of NRH is it true you only go there if you have something like a L-M surname?

Advertisement