Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda recruitment 2019

Options
  • 23-10-2018 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has an idea if AGS, will launch a '19 campaign?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Most likely, but nobody really knows for sure. They are trying to grow the force and got funding for it from the government as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

I'm hoping to be 3rd time lucky by next year. I won't stop till I get to the gates of templemore

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

Ciano1997 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to be 3rd time lucky by next year. I won't stop till I get to the gates of templemore

Good for you! be an interesting crew to work for iff they manage even half of the restructuring they are chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Ciano1997 wrote: »

Great attitude. Wish I had the years on my side to do the same ha

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sazxox

Hey - I public jobs, asked my partner who is a guard and also asked an ex - super and they all are saying May / June 2019! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

sazxox wrote: »
    Hey - I public jobs, asked my partner who is a guard and also asked an ex - super and they all are saying May / June 2019! :)

Thank you so much! I look forward to it. Time to work hard .

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

Hi guys just wondering are they expected to run a campaign for trainee Garda for 2019?

Hi guys just wondering are they expected to run a campaign for trainee Garda for 2019?

Probably in the next few months.. Seems there will definitely be a 2019 campaign anyway.

Nobody here is going to know for sure when it will be. It was June/July last year for 2018 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

Hi all,
    For anyone who has applied before, how difficult in reality are the aptitude tests to pass and get to stage 2, and any advice, cheers

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    For anyone who has applied before, how difficult in reality are the aptitude tests to pass and get to stage 2, and any advice, cheers

Difficulty is subjective. Some people will find it relatively okay, some difficult. There are some courses online that provide similar tests for practice. But ultimately it depends on you and your ability.

So honestly, nobody can really tell you how difficult they are!! You'll have answers from easy to very hard here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Career services courses are brilliant.. it’s just down to aiming for the lowest possible OOM at the early stages to keep everything going fast for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ctmo765

Hi, new here looking for advice if anyone can help, i applied for the Gaurds last June but failed the stage two aptitude test, i hope to apply again this year but i was wondering... I have minimum five ordinary level d3's in my leaving cert and i passed English and Irish with c1 and c3 but i failed Maths (in 2006) but in 2016 i took a course in a Pitman training centre and got a computer technician qualification in COMPTIA A+, It's an industry qualification like chartered accountants or Engineers Ireland. What i am wondering is will they accept my leaving cert? Then when they say a "hold a recognised qualification (at level 5 or greater), deemed comparable to the
    above in terms of both level and volume of learning as determined by Quality
    and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), are these Pitman diploma's recognised?
    since then i have gained two component certs from CMIT which are QQI registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

ctmo765 wrote: »
    Hi, new here looking for advice if anyone can help, i applied for the Gaurds last June but failed the stage two aptitude test, i hope to apply again this year but i was wondering... I have minimum five ordinary level d3's in my leaving cert and i passed English and Irish with c1 and c3 but i failed Maths (in 2006) but in 2016 i took a course in a Pitman training centre and got a computer technician qualification in COMPTIA A+, It's an industry qualification like chartered accountants or Engineers Ireland. What i am wondering is will they accept my leaving cert? Then when they say a "hold a recognised qualification (at level 5 or greater), deemed comparable to the
    since then i have gained two component certs from CMIT which are QQI registered.

Best bet, is email Garda HR and or the public appointments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

ctmo765 wrote: »

They will accept what you have in your leaving cert. you don’t need maths anymore. And you have your two languages.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Careers/Why-should-I-join-An-Garda-Siochana-/What-are-the-educational-requirements-.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Crafty_Veteran

Hi Guys,

I am 27 years old and have currently worked in banking since I graduated from College. I am currently living / working in Toronto, Canada however I am really considering becoming a Garda when I come home. I have been thinking about it a lot for over a year now and I believe its the right career path from me. I have always thought Id be very good at the job.

1. I am just wondering has anyone else had a similar experience as myself in terms of working in chosen field for years and changing over completely?

2. Does anyone know when the next campaign will start and are they flexible on dates in case I have to fly home from Canada?

3. I know the age limit is 35 but at 27 years old am I too old to apply? I heard it is all young people in Templemore.

All thoughts and answers are greatly appreciated.

Crafty_Veteran

Hi Guys,

I am 27 years old and have currently worked in banking since I graduated from College. I am currently living / working in Toronto, Canada however I am really considering becoming a Garda when I come home. I have been thinking about it a lot for over a year now and I believe its the right career path from me. I have always thought Id be very good at the job.

1. I am just wondering has anyone else had a similar experience as myself in terms of working in chosen field for years and changing over completely?

2. Does anyone know when the next campaign will start and are they flexible on dates in case I have to fly home from Canada?

3. I know the age limit is 35 but at 27 years old am I too old to apply? I heard it is all young people in Templemore.

Crafty_Veteran

1. Yes, it scares the life out of me but always something i’v wanted to do and know I’ll regret if I don’t try.

2. No, no one knows. Keep an eye out in careers services page, they tend to leave hints when the recruitment is starting up. Regestier with publicjobs.ie and they will email you when a new campaign is open.
    You do the first test online, so if you pass that you will get a few weeks (depending on you order of merit, the better you do the quicker you are called) notice for the second one which is sat in Dublin. I can’t see there being much flexibility for the test in Dublin, early stages tend to move pretty quickly.

3. 27 is 110% NOT too old.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    1. Yes, it scares the life out of me but always something i’v wanted to do and know I’ll regret if I don’t try.

2. No, no one knows. Keep an eye out in careers services page, they tend to leave hints when the recruitment is starting up. Regestier with publicjobs.ie and they will email you when a new campaign is open.
    You do the first test online, so if you pass that you will get a few weeks (depending on you order of merit, the better you do the quicker you are called) notice for the second one which is sat in Dublin. I can’t see there being much flexibility for the test in Dublin, early stages tend to move pretty quickly.

3. 27 is 110% NOT too old.

Cheers Five.0

Yes I believe if I don't apply and try it I will really regret it when I am older. The thought of sitting behind a desk from 9-5 until I am 65 actually terrifies me. I feel I have more to offer haha.

Are you in the process yourself or are you waiting for the 2019 campaign to start?

Also, Is Career services the way to go for the aptitude test prep?

Thanks

Crafty_Veteran

Cheers Five.0

Yes I believe if I don't apply and try it I will really regret it when I am older. The thought of sitting behind a desk from 9-5 until I am 65 actually terrifies me. I feel I have more to offer haha.

Are you in the process yourself or are you waiting for the 2019 campaign to start?

Also, Is Career services the way to go for the aptitude test prep?

Thanks

Crafty_Veteran

I’v been accepted and starting in Templemore now in 2 weeks.

Yes 100% careers services helped me no end with the aptitude test, but in saying that a lot of people have done well without any course. You can do them online also so that will be handy for you if you feel you need the help.

No problem. Boards is a great way to get any information you need. A lot of people here have been through the process.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Best of luck with it! Just keep an eye on the residency requirements - can't remember what they are now off the top of my head and apply before 2021 - think someone posted aaaages ago that there would be less recruits then - unless AGS get more funding/government promises in the meantime.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it! Just keep an eye on the residency requirements - can't remember what they are now off the top of my head and apply before 2021 - think someone posted aaaages ago that there would be less recruits then - unless AGS get more funding/government promises in the meantime.

Hi,

Can you elaborate on the residency requirements. Could living in Canada for a year be a hindrance to my application?

Yes I plan on applying for this years campaign so hopefully it comes up soon

Thanks

Crafty_Veteran

• Advertisement

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    I’v been accepted and starting in Templemore now in 2 weeks.

Yes 100% careers services helped me no end with the aptitude test, but in saying that a lot of people have done well without any course. You can do them online also so that will be handy for you if you feel you need the help.

No problem. Boards is a great way to get any information you need. A lot of people here have been through the process.

:)

Oh lovely best of luck with it. Id say you cannot wait to get started :)

Cheers for your information

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

I'm 27 and had my fitness test recently, there was actually a good few in their late 20s and a few in their 30s. Age won't be a factor at all everyone was treated the same. I'd say there will be a campaign at the start of summer. Best advice I'd give someone who is a bit older is to do the prep courses, if you fail at any stage you will be waiting a year or more to try again.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tutiefruite

Hi Guys,

Crafty_Veteran

You havin a laugh boi????? 27!!!! You're ancient give up now! Geriatric

Im Joe King....hahaha im 33 and highly offended

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

You havin a laugh boi????? 27!!!! You're ancient give up now! Geriatric

Yeah I hear all the youngsters all refer to anyone over 23 as golden oldies or something, too much life experience or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Hot_Fuzz wrote: »
    Yeah I hear all the youngsters all refer to anyone over 23 as golden oldies or something, too much life experience or something?

I heard they don't let ya play football with them at lunch. Something about being too old to run fast

kellbag91 wrote: »
    I heard they don't let ya play football with them at lunch. Something about being too old to run fast

Ran fast enough for the fitness. And my bff push and pulled 40kg on the push pull....i wouldnt mess with the over 30s haha

I have May in my head for the campaign ... My boyfriend is based in Dublin and he's been asking around for me, a lot have said 'pretty sure its May but don't quote me on that' .. So we'll see!

Campaign is out! 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

sazxox wrote: »
    Campaign is out! 😊

Just finished my application there!

Advertisement