Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda recruitment 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sazxox

Hot_Fuzz wrote: »
    That’ll be all essential info like your current & past addresses, your career & education history, etc. but pretty sure that’s the first thing you fill to apply like the big pdf?

You won’t hear about most of that stuff until your interview in stage 3 anyway but it’s a good bit easier than Form B where you have to have alllllll your family details and addresses too haha

Ohh apologies, I just thought that was the application form didnt know it was form A :)

Actually question on the vetting, do they look for cousins now??

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

sazxox wrote: »
    Ohh apologies, I just thought that was the application form didnt know it was form A :)

Actually question on the vetting, do they look for cousins now??

Vetting is up to and including your aunts and uncles. When you get to templemore you bring a list of up to your first cousins with you but think that’s for stationing rather than vetting so you’re not out near a load of relatives!

Hot_Fuzz wrote: »
    Vetting is up to and including your aunts and uncles. When you get to templemore you bring a list of up to your first cousins with you but think that’s for stationing rather than vetting so you’re not out near a load of relatives!

Ohh thank god - cause all mine are in different countries!! I have a feeling my vetting will take a looooong time if I make it that far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Hey, first time applying for the gardaí, just wondering how difficult the aptitude tests are?

SeanD123 wrote: »
    Hey, first time applying for the gardaí, just wondering how difficult the aptitude tests are?

Start looking over the likes of logical reasoning and verbal reasoning. They have a few different types of tests so not sure what’ll come up this year yet but Career Services and a few others are usually pretty good with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

SeanD123 wrote: »

The best answer would be it's not easy, else you would have everyone passing it, and every stage of recruitment there will be people that won't move to the next stage.

However, you can look online and see similar tests, and try to practice them and prepare.

Ultimately, just give it your best shot. You don't have to get every one right. Do your best, give it your all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Sorry folks complete newbie here and struggling to find information about the process. I applied last week so what is the next thing to expect? Presume nobody will hear anything until after the recruitment has closed? Have been looking at some of the online courses they are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Sorry folks complete newbie here and struggling to find information about the process. I applied last week so what is the next thing to expect? Presume nobody will hear anything until after the recruitment has closed? Have been looking at some of the online courses they are very good

Hey, yeah I'd say next thing we hear will be regarding the aptitude tests, think they provide familiarisation material before the actual tests

Won't be till after recruitment closes. And then Stage 1 will involve online tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

3pm on 24th April 2019 Closing date for receipt of application forms

9th May to 16th May 2019 Stage 1 On-line Assessments

June / July 2019 Stage 2 Assessment Centre
    Initially the top group of candidates from Stage 1 will be invited to Assessment Centre in late June. Further groups may be invited from time to time as required.

August 2019 Stage 3 – Interviews and other assessments.
    Initially the top group of candidates from Stage 2 will be invited to Interviews and other assessments in August 2019. Further groups may be invited from time to time as required.

September 2019 An Garda Síochána Clearance stage to commence for those successful at Stage 3 in PAS in August 2019.

Mid-2020
    It is envisaged that successful applicants from this campaign may be considered for intakes into the Garda College from mid-2020 however, this is subject to change*

Taken from info booklet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hi guys,
    whats the story with publicjobs.ie and downloading the required PDF?
    it keeps giving me a place holder pdf form that says "please wait... if you are seeing this it means the correct pdf form isnt in place" etc.

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Hi guys,
    it keeps giving me a place holder pdf form that says "please wait... if you are seeing this it means the correct pdf form isnt in place" etc.

Strange.
    I had to download the latest version of adobe reader, I then right clicked the link for the pdf and went to the ‘open with’ tab. I then clicked on the adobe reader I had just downloaded and it worked perfect.

Hope that works for you!

From earlier in the thread worked for me when having the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

Hi guys,

Strange.

I was having this problem as well but instead of opening the link when the download bar pops up, just save it to your desktop first and then open it.

Hope this helps!

Just a reminder that the deadline is 3pm tomorrow :)

Phew...got in there with 7 minutes to go!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenjenHarley

Will everyone who applied online be invited to do online tests or do they actually start filtering out applications straight away?

Will everyone who applied online be invited to do online tests or do they actually start filtering out applications straight away?

Think everyone gets to do stage 1 at least.. be a bit unfair to be filtered based on your name, address and employment history haha

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

Everyone that applied will sit stage 1 tests. Those who pass will be ranked in Order of Merit (highest score). Invitations will then be issued to sit stage 2 in Dublin depending on your OOM

Great, thanks. Well best of luck to everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Kevin17W wrote: »
    Everyone that applied will sit stage 1 tests. Those who pass will be ranked in Order of Merit (highest score). Invitations will then be issued to sit stage 2 in Dublin depending on your OOM

You actually only get 'placed' after stage 1, although it essentially is your OOM.

You get placed after stage 1 and your placement can then increase or decrease after stage 2.
    After stage 3 you can rise/fall again but you'll be given an OOM which will not change from that point forward.

Funny thing is that OOM means very little after stage 3. It has no bearing on how quickly you'll be called to see the seargent/super nor for when you'll be called to do the medical/physical.
    The only difference it apparently makes is if there's more than 200 people for 1 intake, and going by recent intakes that won't happen for a long time.

Placement after stages 1 & 2 is actually important as the people they call to the next stage are those who did best in the previous stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

lines are officially closed. Best of luck to all who applied. Hoping 3rd time lucky guys!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Ciano1997 wrote: »
    lines are officially closed. Best of luck to all who applied. Hoping 3rd time lucky guys!! :)

If you don’t mind me asking how far did you get in previous campaigns? First time applying for me.

I believe everyone gets a go at the tests. The application doesn't really show up until the interview, whatever you write on the application at the start they will have a copy of at the interview.

bottar1 wrote: »
    I believe everyone gets a go at the tests. The application doesn't really show up until the interview, whatever you write on the application at the start they will have a copy of at the interview.

I'll be interested to see how I get on in the tests. It'd be my first time applying, so I'm excited to see what's ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Yes, everyone has the opportunity to do stage 1! It mentions on the application form, that it’s to assist you in the interview stage! So therefore, it’s possible for people to get to the interview stage before the application form will even be reviewed!

Would people recommend doing the Career Services Garda Preparation Courses? - https://careerservices.ie/an-garda-siochana

SquireD wrote: »
    Would people recommend doing the Career Services Garda Preparation Courses? - https://careerservices.ie/an-garda-siochana

I found them beneficial. My first time going for it and never having done tests like it helped me familiarize and get a good go. I've passed everything in the 2018 campaign for reference.

I found them beneficial. My first time going for it and never having done tests like it helped me familiarize and get a good go. I've passed everything in the 2018 campaign for reference.

And did you just go for the online course or did you attend the day courses as well?

SquireD wrote: »
    And did you just go for the online course or did you attend the day courses as well?

I did the online courses and attended a day course for the interview. I also got one to one interview preparation with someone that I highly recommend whom I got in touch with on boards.

• Advertisement

I did the online courses and attended a day course for the interview. I also got one to one interview preparation with someone that I highly recommend whom I got in touch with on boards.

Cool, thanks for the feedback! All going well i might ask ya for that contact if i get that far to help me out! :)

Advertisement