Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark your diaries! Pope Frank coming to Ireland - August 2018

Options
  • 31-03-2017 10:57am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Next August, Pope Frank is going to board an aircraft somewhere - I'm assuming he's not coming via Irish Ferries or Stena Line - and take off for a six-day visit to Ireland from the 21st to the 26th of August.

No activities have been positively confirmed yet, but it's understood that he's hoping to attend something called the "World Meeting of Families" taking place in Clonliffe College on those dates. And he has written a covering letter which stops a little short of confirming anything at all really.

http://www.thejournal.ie/vatican-confirms-popes-visit-3315575-Mar2017/

There are no obvious plans at this point to visit anything related to church-run orphanages, mother and child home or anything at all related to the redress scheme. I also imagine that Tuam will not be on his final itinerary either.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The conference lasts 6 days; I very much doubt that any papal visit will.

If there's a visit, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't include a function (separate from the conference) at which he addresses the abuse crisis in some way. Not likely to be a visit to a former Magdalene home or similar, but maybe a meeting with survivors.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Must remember to book the time off work to protest,
    Very much doubt the Vatican will have apologised for its systematic cover up of abuse by then,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

robindch wrote: »
    Next August, Pope Frank is going to board an aircraft somewhere - I'm assuming he's not coming via Irish Ferries or Stena Line - and take off for a six-day visit to Ireland from the 21st to the 26th of August.

No activities have been positively confirmed yet, but it's understood that he's hoping to attend something called the "World Meeting of Families" taking place in Clonliffe College on those dates. And he has written a covering letter which stops a little short of confirming anything at all really.

http://www.thejournal.ie/vatican-confirms-popes-visit-3315575-Mar2017/

There are no obvious plans at this point to visit anything related to church-run orphanages, mother and child home or anything at all related to the redress scheme. I also imagine that Tuam will not be on his final itinerary either.

Thoughts?

Which church run orphanage do you think he should visit and what would the visit entail?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Must remember to book the time off work to protest,
    Very much doubt the Vatican will have apologised for its systematic cover up of abuse by then,

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26989991
    Is this not an apology?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

infogiver wrote: »

Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words and all that. If they actually made an effort to properly compensate the people affected and complied with requests for information that 'apology' might ring true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A few extraditions of the paedos and paedo enablers holed up in the Vatican would be good too.

Pope Francis visit to Ireland may be ‘shorter than people expect’

He can step off the plane, hand over the cheque and then f off as far as I'm concerned.

Oh and asking for forgiveness isn't an apology. An apology benefits the wronged person, forgiveness is for the benefit of the wrongdoer, so even this was self-serving.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a weak attempt at an apology for the abuse, it is certainly NOT an apology of any kind in relation to the Vatican's systematic cover up of that abuse.
    The two things are very very different,

The Vatican to date have NOT apologized for their coverup.

The cover up wasn't an error, or a failure on their part. It was well thought out, it was documented and it had rules and guidelines for people to follow. Trying to claim that the cover up of such horrors was a simple error is like trying to claim the final solution was an error, both were well discussed, documented and had rules and guidelines with a end goal.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words and all that. If they actually made an effort to properly compensate the people affected and complied with requests for information that 'apology' might ring true.
    No, the poster didn't realise that the Vatican had apologised so I'm glad to be able to set that record straight.
    It wasn't difficult to find that link. That apology was reported everywhere.
    What "information" do you think has been witheld by the Vatican and who is it being withheld from?

A few extraditions of the paedos and paedo enablers holed up in the Vatican would be good too.

Pope Francis visit to Ireland may be ‘shorter than people expect’

He can step off the plane, hand over the cheque and then f off as far as I'm concerned.

Oh and asking for forgiveness isn't an apology. An apology benefits the wronged person, forgiveness is for the benefit of the wrongdoer, so even this was self-serving.

Has a country or countries served extradition orders on the Vatican that have been rejected?

Has a country or countries served extradition orders on the Vatican that have been rejected?

Not that I'm aware are of off hand. However Ireland, Australia and the UN all requested records as part of major investigations. All were denied.

The Vatican is also shamefully resistant to change, don't take my word for it..... Take the word of an abuse victim who dealt with them first hand https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0301/856373-marie-collins/

The Vatican is big on words, but lacks any meaningful change or actions

• Advertisement

No, the poster didn't realise that the Vatican had apologised so I'm glad to be able to set that record straight.

Except you haven't and you are very much incorrect.

The Vatican has never apologised for the sex abuse cover up run by them, it's evident you have an issue understanding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

My inclination is to show up to the pope's public appearance cross-dressing as a prostitute-nun.

I'm glad to be able to set that record straight.

Unintentional funny is the best kind of funny.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bet you Belfast is included, as the normalisation continues.

Although I can't see Arlene or Gregory Campbell queuing up to meet him.

More deflection.

You can't make extradition requests where no extradition treaty exists.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Except you haven't and you are very much incorrect.

The Vatican has never apologised for the sex abuse cover up run by them, it's evident you have an issue understanding this.

But it's true that it doesn't matter what type of apology is made and what wording is used you are going to rely on pedantry and semantics to keep beating your drum.
    Pope Francis is a very popular figure throughout the world and the leader of over 1 billion Catholics and growing. Almost every official statement he makes is carried by news agencies everywhere and even the possibility that he will visit Ireland next year even for 48 hours made headline breaking news.
    As much as you would wish that the Pope would be relegated to the status of say Prime Minister of Luxembourg well that's just not going to happen.

More deflection.

You can't make extradition requests where no extradition treaty exists.

Then why are you looking for "paedos" to be extradited?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I bet you Belfast is included, as the normalisation continues.

Although I can't see Arlene or Gregory Campbell queuing up to meet him.

I couldn't see Arlene getting into a pew for a IRA funeral mass but she did.

My inclination is to show up to the pope's public appearance cross-dressing as a prostitute-nun.

You should do that. It'll be hilarious. Don't forget to bring a placard in Portuguese so that he knows what your supposed to be.

Then why are you looking for "paedos" to be extradited?

Because they are using the Vatican's refusal to enter into extradition treaties to shield themselves from justice.

• Advertisement

You should do that. It'll be hilarious. Don't forget to bring a placard in Portuguese so that he knows what your supposed to be.

He's not from Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Why Portuguese?

I'd be up for the x-dressing, though not sure about the nun bit. Just go as a hooker. Could make a killing... :pac:

He's not from Brazil.

He speaks Portuguese though

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Why Portuguese?

I'd be up for the x-dressing, though not sure about the nun bit. Just go as a hooker. Could make a killing... :pac:

€10 a go should do it

€10 a go should do it

Heh, I'd say the Vaticanesers (is that what they're called) would expect it for free.

Heh, I'd say the Vaticanesers (is that what they're called) would expect it for free.

I'd say they'd get it for free off you, too. Your terribly keen!!

I'd say they'd get it for free off you, too. Your terribly keen!!

My terribly keen what?

Wrong anyway. They wouldn't get it off me, as I'm not up for it, and they prefer the defenceless.

My terribly keen what?

Wrong anyway. They wouldn't get it off me, as I'm not up for it, and they prefer the defenceless.

A few posts ago you were going to go as a cross dressing hooker and make a killing ....

But it's true that it doesn't matter what type of apology is made and what wording is used you are going to rely on pedantry and semantics to keep beating your drum.

They've not made an apology, they've not made an admission of guilty for the systematic cover up. If it doesn't matter then why not apologise if it's no big deal and you think it won't matter anyway?

They can't even change the current system to protect children, even abuse victims have confirmed this. They are unwilling to change because they are unwilling to see themselves at fault.

The fact you are here defending the indefensible shows this mindset isn't confined to the Vatican. Utterly depressing.

• Advertisement

Nah, it wouldn't work. They'd have no interest unless the person is a child. Remind me what was the age of consent in the Vatican until 2013......12 years of age wasn't it?

Advertisement