Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Become a teacher

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

What was your old job?

Again, from my experiences this is not true.

I was in school and teachers regularly left the room for 10 minutes at a time, to go to the printer or toilet or go speak to another teacher, go get some markers etc.

BTW if you're having a tough personal time most private sector jobs would be the same, you're interacting with people etc. I believe you're in IT which is different because many can just work remotely and never have to speak to anyone.

This post right here illustrates the problem with teaching.Everyone thinks they know all about it because sure we all went to school, right??

Wrong.

Myself, I can barely handle my own kids first thing in the morning, I am not silly enough to think I can (or want to) be handling thirty of someone else's kids.It's a good career if you really want to be a teacher.If you just want holidays, then don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Supervision money? We do that for free.

Also, allowances were gotten rid of for those that entered in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I occasionally read that fb page someone referenced earlier - Voice for Teachers. I am constantly amused by the comment that no other profession would put up with things they have to. A lot of teachers don't seem to be aware that many other newly qualified graduates don't get jobs straight from college in their chosen profession, (and definitely not at 35k), only get contracts with little or no rights, get paid less than the people they are working alongside, have stressful situations all day long, etc - thats the same for many jobs. Teachers talk about sending out 30/40/50 cvs job hunting, etc - thats the same for many job hunters. Many seem to have little awareness of how much taxes are correct, can't read payslips, quote their salaries in net. I have no problem with any worker not knowing about other professions but the "no other profession would put up with it" just to me shows immaturity and misunderstanding of all other jobs which make the world go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

alroley wrote: »
    Supervision money? We do that for free.

More lies.

Teachers can earn even more by supervising exams and then more again on corrections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

salonfire wrote: »
    More lies.

Teachers can earn even more by supervising exams and then more again on corrections.

I thought the comment meant supervision of other teachers classes when they are on trips, sick etc. That's for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Secondary school teachers work 114 days a year. Not a bad deal if you love your job.

Completely made up fabrication.
    It’s 167 days plus an extra 33 hours of Croke Park meetings, 43 hours S&S and another 10 hours of meetings as well.

shesty wrote: »
    Don't be a teacher if you are just doing it for the "easy" hours and the holidays.
    I disagree. I'm playing devil's advocate here, but with a real example

My Mum was a a really good secondary school teacher; she taught Maths and PE (nerds and the sporty kids didn't know whether to love or hate her) who subscribed to the three traditional reasons for pursuing that career: June, July and August. Genuinely, she was really cynical about the job, but did it well.

She was a popular and (bias aside) a very good teacher. Just because you're using a career for the pension, or the holidays, doesn't mean you can't be really talented at what you do.

I don't subscribe to this idea that vocation is all-important. My Mum knew how to teach, and she did it well. I know other people who are brilliant business-people, but would rather teach yoga.

We seem to be trying to convince ourselves that vocation is all-important. I disagree. Talent matters, and if your talent matches your vocation, then well done. But for most of us, it doesn't.

Most of us do a good job without loving our jobs, or our employers. A good teacher isn't necessarily after a vocation. If they're very talented, and they can do the job well, that ought to be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I agree with OP. Teaching has struck me as the absolute easiest and most satisfying job in existence.

Imagine being a French teacher. The only skill you need to have in your entire working life is the ability to speak French. And many French words are practically English to begin with. I mean it would be pretty funny if there was a French teacher who couldn't speak French very well (I once had a math teacher who was terrible at Junior Cert math). Basically all you have to do is avoid the temptation of having sex with the pupils and you're good.

They get to put on a bit of a show every day in front of a live audience - that's bound to help their oratory skills, their speaking confidence, their ability to take control of a situation and ultimately their social skills. Kids are very sharp, especially when they reach that age of 14+. They're just lacking in some experience.

What better satisfaction, especially for people with a big ego, than to preach a lot of your life values and opinions to this small crowd of people who are open ears and listening? You are a big part of their world. If you speak to a group of adults they're going to be a lot more cynical and resistant to changing their world view based on what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I would like to be a teacher. I’d earn more and would have better holidays than I do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

poisonated wrote: »
    I would like to be a teacher. I’d earn more and would have better holidays than I do now.

Then why don't you? You had the same options at CAO time as everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Treppen

I occasionally read that fb page someone referenced earlier - Voice for Teachers. I am constantly amused by the comment that no other profession would put up with things they have to. A lot of teachers don't seem to be aware that many other newly qualified graduates don't get jobs straight from college in their chosen profession, (and definitely not at 35k), only get contracts with little or no rights, get paid less than the people they are working alongside, have stressful situations all day long, etc - thats the same for many jobs. Teachers talk about sending out 30/40/50 cvs job hunting, etc - thats the same for many job hunters. Many seem to have little awareness of how much taxes are correct, can't read payslips, quote their salaries in net. I have no problem with any worker not knowing about other professions but the "no other profession would put up with it" just to me shows immaturity and misunderstanding of all other jobs which make the world go round.

Where are those teaching jobs for 35k?
    I'm on educationposts.ie right now looking in the secondary section.... Help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Edgware wrote: »
    Don't forget the grinds. Money in to the hand

This........

I know a teacher that does grinds in evenings ...making a packet and fair play to her .... then during summer months works in an outdoor centre ....

Life is what you make it folks ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Treppen

More lies.

Work more get paid more. The injustice of it.

Then why don't you? You had the same options at CAO time as everybody else.

Because teachers had their own state run progranda machine in RTE bemoaning their plight multiple times through the year. School kids listening to this did not know any better and there was no way of exposing the lies.

Only these days when everyone has internet we can look up the actual salaries and shopping list of allowances that make legacy teachers at least far better paid than they let on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

MrMiata wrote: »
    No, I said newly qualified teachers can have a hard time getting jobs, there's no mention of any other career having a hard time finding work.

Teachers can and do have a hard time finding work, that's not to say others don't.

Yeah and newly qualified scientists, engineers all have the same problems.

shesty wrote: »
    This post right here illustrates the problem with teaching.Everyone thinks they know all about it because sure we all went to school, right??

Wrong.

Myself, I can barely handle my own kids first thing in the morning, I am not silly enough to think I can (or want to) be handling thirty of someone else's kids.It's a good career if you really want to be a teacher.If you just want holidays, then don't do it.

I've given you multiple sources of information, from going to school, from having friends of friends who are teachers, from work colleagues partners being teachers, to seeing teachers on facebook comment on public groups.

How many kids do pre school teachers handle by the way? Yet they're on **** money and not held in the high social status like teachers are.

Exactly. Teachers should be forced to work in the real world for a number of years. Most of them spend all their life in academia where they're sheltered from the cut and thrust professional world. Like ffs they get guaranteed increases every year.

Completely made up fabrication.
    It’s 167 days plus an extra 33 hours of Croke Park meetings, 43 hours S&S and another 10 hours of meetings as well.

And take out your 3 training days you can do while browsing online? :)

And do you ever notice a lot of politicians are teachers? Ever notice a lot of these cottage industry type things on facebook like "fairy doors" or "personalised picture frames" are done by teachers?

Because they have so much free time to spend time on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

And do you ever notice a lot of politicians are teachers? Ever notice a lot of these cottage industry type things on facebook like "fairy doors" or "personalised picture frames" are done by teachers?

Because they have so much free time to spend time on these things.

You are getting a little obsessed with teachers at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Exactly. Teachers should be forced to work in the real world for a number of years. Most of them spend all their life in academia where they're sheltered from the cut and thrust professional world. Like ffs they get guaranteed increases every year.

Most civil servants do.

I would say that most jobs are easier than bring a teacher. Except for the holidays it doesn’t appeal to me at all.

mariaalice wrote: »

Where else is the balance to teachers propaganda apart from forums such as this? Or are we to take the whooping and howling every Easter as a reflection of their work conditions?

Most civil servants do.

I would say that most jobs are easier than bring a teacher. Except for the holidays it doesn’t appeal to me at all.

You're barely in school long enough to dislike it.

You're just back and in 5 or 6 weeks you have a week off. Then you have 6 or 7 weeks off until Christmas break for over 2 weeks.

99problems1 and others, read my thread from over a decade ago complaining about teachers.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055466794

Then I actually became a teacher and realised I was talking complete and utter nonsense. I don't hold it against ye or anything since I was the exact same.

mariaalice wrote: »

Was wondering how long it would take for the personal insults to start. Typical behaviour of a teacher though.

99problems1 and others, read my thread from over a decade ago complaining about teachers.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055466794

Then I actually became a teacher and realised I was talking complete and utter nonsense. I don't hold it against ye or anything since I was the exact same.

Where did you teach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

You're barely in school long enough to dislike it.

You're just back and in 5 or 6 weeks you have a week off. Then you have 6 or 7 weeks off until Christmas break for over 2 weeks.

Who is the “you”. I’m not a teacher. Fanatics like you assume we all hate teachers but we don’t. It’s a hard job.

If you like it so much. Get a degree. And do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think everyone should be forced to work as a primay teacher for a couple of weeks and a secondary teacher for a few more weeks.
    Then every professional, including teachers, should be made work in blocklaying, labouring or some other "heavy work" that would make them all appreciate the jobs that they have.

Where did you teach?

Asia, where it's far easier than back home. Lots of qualified teachers living out here who hate Ireland and the UK for teaching and have to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Where else is the balance to teachers propaganda apart from forums such as this? Or are we to take the whooping and howling every Easter as a reflection of their work conditions?

Its not a balance thing the vast majority of other people jobs and occupations have no affect on me, teachers included so the obsession with the teachers by the op is ridiculous. I get how annoying self-absorbed always moaning teachers are but so what there are peopel in every profession like that.

The op is stalking a teacher discussion site and posting dozens of posts about teachers a lot of which seem to be full of rage.

Advertisement