Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where are we off to tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was talking to a IFA national officer this evening, he's expecting another hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

wrangler wrote: »
    I was talking to a IFA national officer this evening, he's expecting another hit.

in what shape or from

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

kk.man wrote: »
    Another point Irish supermarkets only buy less than 5% of what we produce. That won't hurt us either.
    Now check your facts before you make an argument.

Then why protest? Just doesn’t make sense to start an argument with someone that’s a relatively small customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

gerryirl wrote: »
    in what shape or from

The IFA lads are going to hit the five star hotels around the country for the xmas party season. Apparently there's a million left in the slush fund that has to be blown before the end of the year.

gerryirl wrote: »
    in what shape or from

I didn't ask, he said he had a few phone calls this evening from higher up.
    I know from past experience that they don't phone on sundays for fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Robson99 wrote: »
    If I was you I would change factories....if you are any sort of a regular you should be able to get them killed....

Regular here with same factory for 15 years still can't get last of them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Robson99

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Regular here with same factory for 15 years still can't get last of them away.

Think you need to have a chat with the manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Robson99 wrote: »
    Think you need to have a chat with the manager

Always sent through agent, maybe another chat with him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Robson99

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Always sent through agent, maybe another chat with him

They really are ****ing you over. As soon as things settle I would source another factory and tell the current agent and factory to go **** themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just on a side note how much has Larry Goodman's name has been in the media since the beef tribunal days and bet he doesn't like it one bit. It's subtle pressure from lots of different sources at the moment on the cartel that will yeild results. Every day it's in media is breaking a clink in his armour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Just on a side note how much has Larry Goodman's name has been in the media since the beef tribunal days and bet he doesn't like it one bit. It's subtle pressure from lots of different sources at the moment on the cartel that will yeild results. Every day it's in media is breaking a clink in his armour

A quote comes to mind from The Usual Suspects......

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The longer term solution is not to be dependent on the 'goodwill' of a factory agent and join a PO and let them deal directly with the factories and markets.

That may not be what you want or need to hear ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Produce less cattle. Reduce the supply to the factories. That'll raise the price paid...

Of course that means that some lads would leave the business but this would give a better return to those remaining.

When we produced 30k per week the factories rode us, when we killed 28k per week and 24k per it was the same result. They brought in 30 month rule under many gusises but it controls the supply.
    We are dealing with a Cartel here that domestically or at EU level the powers that be don't want to tackle. That's the nub of the problem. The factories have no problem selling the meat none of it is left over or goes to intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

At this stage I'd say he couldn't give a sh1te . He is 80 odd I think and considering he got this far on the backs of farmers ,tax payers and politicians(not too mention his smarts ) he will hardly change tack .
    Farmers are years aswell giving little concessions to factories and making less and less and sometimes a loss altogether but we keep the numbers up regardless of how little is coming next year .
    Who is worse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

They’re picking on Tesco’s now.

kk.man wrote: »
    When we produced 30k per week the factories rode us, when we killed 28k per week and 24k per it was the same result. They brought in 30 month rule under many gusises but it controls the supply.
    We are dealing with a Cartel here that domestically or at EU level the powers that be don't want to tackle. That's the nub of the problem. The factories have no problem selling the meat none of it is left over or goes to intervention.

They are very good at their job, but you can sell anything if you drop the price enough.
    I see on the bargain thread a guy bought 12 steaks for 12 Euro, someone said he got it in the ''salmonella fridge'' :D. 12 hrs to go before the end of sell by date.....straight in to the freezer and it'd be the finest.
    I saw legs of lamb at 2 or 3 euro in a similar fridge myself

I knew that but I couldn't put it up here, I also knew my source was genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They're bloody right to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Anyone think it’s a stages thing. Dunnes towards the end of the week. And then Musgraves Blanchardstown/Ballycoolin next week.
    Or are they ballzy enough to take on Musgraves?

• Advertisement

BPM did the picket of Musgraves Cork months ago.
    Why would they be sacred?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anyone think it’s a stages thing. Dunnes towards the end of the week. And then Musgraves Blanchardstown/Ballycoolin next week.

again, they bloody should, they should be all picketed at the same time

Water John wrote: »
    BPM did the picket of Musgraves Cork months ago.
    Why would they be sacred?

If they blockaded either of those Musgraves distribution centres, it wouldn't be too long before things came to a standstill.
    During the BP protest neither of the above had beef on their shelves nor were able to supply to restaurants/caterers.
    That being said, Christmas week is a terrible time to try and get a protest going.

I was with IFA when they blocked musgraves in maynooth ten years ago, all the processors sent us steaks on the day, I've a friend that works with youth groups and he brought up two huge Barbeques, we must've cooked 3 or 400 steaks that day.
    So yes they are ballzy enough to take on Musgrave

Actually just after remembering that rushes shops are musgraves franchised, Probably that's why you're on about musgraves only I was ABIT SLOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

I was with IFA when they blocked musgraves in maynooth ten years ago, all the processors sent us steaks on the day, I've a friend that works with youth groups and he brought up two huge Barbeques, we must've cooked 3 or 400 steaks that day.
    So yes they are ballzy enough to take on Musgrave

Rushe is connected to Musgraves, might make a difference.

Rushe is connected to Musgraves, might make a difference.
    Yea, just after copping that

Yea, just after copping that

That’s the point I was trying to make.....
    Ye’d hope it wouldn’t make a difference but sure we know the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Was talking to a lad who seemed to think the 12 hour blockades weren't making any difference to retailers as the vast majority of traffic is in and out outside of the blockade times. Any truth in that?

The main despatches would be at night time. You pass Lidl in Chareleville by day and its empty. Now smaller distribution centres would operate, round the clock. What you most affect is their scheduling.

• Advertisement

Was talking to a lad who seemed to think the 12 hour blockades weren't making any difference to retailers as the vast majority of traffic is in and out outside of the blockade times. Any truth in that?

Suppliers for Charleville were told to get trucks in before 5am.

Advertisement