Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are we off to tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

The more I think about these 2 protests the more, they look like publicity stunts for woods and coughlan.

Hope our local man and rushe get elected. They'd have the balls to to cut out a lot of this bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

orm0nd wrote: »
    The more I think about these 2 protests the more, they look like publicity stunts for woods and coughlan.

Hope our local man and rushe get elected. They'd have the balls to to cut out a lot of this bullsh1t.

The voting is practically over, is it not too late for any change. Rushe was at the protest in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I’ve 5 quid on him at 4 to 1 too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

wrangler wrote: »
    The voting is practically over, is it not too late for any change. Rushe was at the protest in Naas
    And he spoke very well. He’s a good man I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

kk.man wrote: »
    It is the same. People go to the hand that feeds them when the food is reduced. Farmers and others have entered negotiations with most stakeholders for years and got nowhere. That was a last resort to air our grievance.

A farm is a business. Piss off your customers and you run the risk of losing business. Retailers can and do switch suppliers. You may end up reaping what you sow.

Public servants on the other hand have a level of protection, even if they go on strike and annoy the public.

You are more exposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

BarryD2 wrote: »
    A farm is a business. Piss off your customers and you run the risk of losing business. Retailers can and do switch suppliers. You may end up reaping what you sow.

Public servants on the other hand have a level of protection, even if they go on strike and annoy the public.

You are more exposed.
    How do you propose farmers get a fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

t.

Publicity stunt for the IFA full stop.. A joke really. They should have done this months ago instead of leaving it to the beefplan. Healy only got a set of balls once the beefplan started the fight . too little too late then. They did in fairness stick bythe farmers that had injunctions which redeemded them in my eyes a bit but sadly the once great IFA which they were are now only a shadow of years gone by and the farming comminuity by and large have realised this too

gerryirl wrote: »
    Publicity stunt for the IFA full stop.. A joke really. They should have done this months ago instead of leaving it to the beefplan. Healy only got a set of balls once the beefplan started the fight . too little too late then. They did in fairness stick bythe farmers that had injunctions which redeemded them in my eyes a bit but sadly the once great IFA which they were are now only a shadow of years gone by and the farming comminuity by and large have realised this too

No point to doing it months ago, bit sad even to try it

No point to doing it months ago, bit sad even to try it

well its right bloody sad looking now I tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Darragh McCullough had an article in the farming independent this week discussing the injunctions . He said one was a Fine Gael councillor and part time builder the other was a carpenter. No mention of any connection to farming. If this be the case why was there such pressure to get injunctions lifted

• Advertisement

well its right bloody sad looking now I tell you

A mess if you're still waiting to sell cattle since August

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Darragh McCullough had an article in the farming independent this week discussing the injunctions . He said one was a Fine Gael councillor and part time builder the other was a carpenter. No mention of any connection to farming. If this be the case why was there such pressure to get injunctions lifted

Hard to see it alright but farmers were insistent on all injunctions being lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1014/1083201-beef-market-taskforce/

whats that got to do with the IFA pickets. Thats what I was on about. And yes Ive been trying to kill cattle since August

Base price wrote: »
    Read the article, I can't see where it says that these individuals were farmers

Read the article, I can't see where it says that these individuals were farmers
    Part time farmers would be more accurate -

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-still-battling-with-legal-threats-speak-out/

Base price wrote: »

Strange that Darragh McCullough didn't mention it if they were part time farmers.Surely this would have been a very important point?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Part time IWT, like most beef farmers. BTW, if they had no connection with the land and came to support rural Ireland and their neighbours, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

There is no one waiting to sell cattle since August...tarmac talk

Water John wrote: »
    Part time IWT, like most beef farmers. BTW, if they had no connection with the land and came to support rural Ireland and their neighbours, fair play to them.

These guys weren't supporting rural Ireland. Caused misery to the owners of a reported 100,000 cattle that went overage and some of which still aren't killed. Continue to be fed for e3.45 per kilo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Robson99 wrote: »
    There is no one waiting to sell cattle since August...tarmac talk

Oh but there is

The number is down a lot but still cattle to be killed

Panch18 wrote: »
    Oh but there is

So cattle that were fit for killing in August are still in a shed waiting to be killed...lads in this position really need to question there factory procurement manager or maybe they are lads who chop and change factories regularly...I haven't heard of anyone who is killing cattle having to wait any longer than 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

Oh but there is

I find that very strange
    I think there is more to that than meets the eye they must have annoyed someone in a previous life or with last cattle they sent.
    I had 2 factories that i dont regularly deal with looking for cattle last week (no extra money)

Strange that Darragh McCullough didn't mention it if they were part time farmers.Surely this would have been a very important point?
    Both are part time farmers - https://www.northernsound.ie/longford-farmer-vows-continue-farming-despite-c-d-injunction/

epfff wrote: »
    I find that very strange
    I think there is more to that than meets the eye they must have annoyed someone in a previous life or with last cattle they sent.
    I had 2 factories that i dont regularly deal with looking for cattle last week (no extra money)
    What spec?

The factory that we go too are actively looking for Chinese spec cattle. There is a delay in getting overage and cull cows booked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

I enquired about the price for a few cows last Monday, could have sent them on the Wednesday if i wanted. Only offering 2.90 for R's so i didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

epfff wrote: »
    I find that very strange

Still have fit bullocks here that went overage during the strike. Were originally booked in first week of the strike. Factory only taking them next week. No way to get over 30 mths killed the past 2 months.
    Only saving Grace is that they were on grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

kk.man wrote: »
    How do you propose farmers get a fair price?

Produce less cattle. Reduce the supply to the factories. That'll raise the price paid...

Of course that means that some lads would leave the business but this would give a better return to those remaining.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Still have fit bullocks here that went overage during the strike. Were originally booked in first week of the strike. Factory only taking them next week. No way to get over 30 mths killed the past 2 months.
    Only saving Grace is that they were on grass

If I was you I would change factories....if you are any sort of a regular you should be able to get them killed....

• Advertisement

Oh but there is

have to agree I only got the last of mine off there this evening since the end of September and the agent said this evening plenty still to get through. My regular factory was doing severe cutting of weights so id lose 100-150 a head by going to them so I waited my time and got them away.. rang alot of factorys but when I wasnt a customer they didnt want to know me

Advertisement