Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are we off to tomorrow

Options
  • 04-12-2019 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

I see on agriland Joe is going burning a bale of straw tomorrow somewhere in kildare.
    Who is going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

They’re embarrassing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Joe who now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Might as well leave it to IFOI now,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry the Board members and Committee members of Dairygold aren't available to attend, as they are all in France. They're all financed out of the farmers milk cheque. He might have a go at that and the price paid by most of the other processors.
    But then on the dairy side, nobody is stealing his thunder, ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Tileman

Obviously a price rise is being paid next week and ifa are going to claim credit for it due to their activity tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

wrangler wrote: »
    Might as well leave it to IFOI now,

Did you mean IKEA.Those with loose screws and not all the contents in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

Tileman wrote: »
    Obviously a price rise is being paid next week and ifa are going to claim credit for it due to their activity tomorrow.
    I’ll second that. If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years about the IFA it’s that they will sit back and do nothing until the result they want is already agreed and then they will protest or make a stand and claim the credit for it. The photo opportunity is never to be missed.

It’s good news for beef farmers as there is definitely a price rise coming but it must be a week or 10 days before its being implemented, otherwise the protest would have been held today to make the rag for tomorrow. With the protest only on tomorrow it’ll only make next weeks rag so it’ll be a few days after that when the already agreed price rise will happen.
    They’re an embarrassment of an association at this stage and you’d have to pity the few ordinary farmers who still have a blinded loyalty to them based on actions from 30 plus years ago when they actually were of value to the farmers.

I don’t know how to post a link but there’s an article after going up on the Farmers Journal website titled “Factories admit beef prices set to rise”.
    How can any of the IFA men not be hanging their heads in shame at the minute? Are there any IFA men on here that can offer up some sort of valid excuse for the outrageous carry on of the great Joe? If he was in the Dail we’d probably be looking at a motion of no confidence at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭kk.man

The IFA runin for cover now as the BP or whatever their name is have momentum. IFA seriously miscalculated by not initiated factory protests.
    Beef price is a scandal beyond all proportion at this stage. Years ago beef price was poor and factories were picketed agreement reached. Everyone went back to work prices increased and no grudges held. There is something very sinester about this one. I know of the rouge element of some protestors but the factories are getting up with flees this time. By digging their heels in they are only stiring the pot.

I would have no sympathy for the factories if there was a return to the gates. Protests all over the world have changed tactics. These are very powerful instruments of persuasion and most effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

• Advertisement

barnaman wrote: »
    Them UK prices show that an R grade heifer is averaging about €3.95/kg. That’s 0.45 cent ahead of us at the minute which equates to €157 on an average 350kg carcass. I think there’d be a lot more optimism amoung beef farmers if we could get anywhere near matching that. I don’t understand how that’s supposed to show that the IFA have done plenty??

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

Larry sets the price on Friday for following week so price rise comming tomorrow. This is what the conspiracy theorist in me thinks. Also think it will be aldi or Lidl as these where the ones who said they dident mind the 36 month cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭kk.man

barnaman wrote: »

The factories have 8k very cheap cattle per day for a number of weeks now. Forget optimism its time for fairness. No farm organisation could or should stand on while these facts have been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

kk.man wrote: »
    The IFA runin for cover now as the BP or whatever their name is have momentum. IFA seriously miscalculated by not initiated factory protests.
    Beef price is a scandal beyond all proportion at this stage. Years ago beef price was poor and factories were picketed agreement reached. Everyone went back to work prices increased and no grudges held. There is something very sinester about this one. I know of the rouge element of some protestors but the factories are getting up with flees this time. By digging their heels in they are only stiring the pot.

I would have no sympathy for the factories if there was a return to the gates. Protests all over the world have changed tactics. These are very powerful instruments of persuasion and most effective.

MII see the fractured representation of farmers as an opportunity to exert their power.

I know it won’t happen but the farmer rep groups need to get together under an umbrella group, otherwise the processors and retailers have more power.

The IFA fumbled the ball on beef, they presided quietly over the current catastrophe coming into being.

_Brian wrote: »
    MII see the fractured representation of farmers as an opportunity to exert their power.

I know it won’t happen but the farmer rep groups need to get together under an umbrella group, otherwise the processors and retailers have more power.

The IFA fumbled the ball on beef, they presided quietly over the current catastrophe coming into being.

Once they get under an umbrella group, they'll be a target for Competition Authority, lack of organisation is the only thing that's saving them, someone told me lately that picking up individual farmers would clog up the court system for months whereas attacking one organisation is only one court case with massive effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

So they’re going to Aldi for 12 hours. Shure if they only bring home a row boat and a saxophone, it’ll be a productive day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Healy on mornin Ireland at the moment in full “mad as hell” mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Healy on mornin Ireland at the moment in full “mad as hell” mode

Was just about to text the same.why won’t joe picket outside the factories.oh wait they don’t want to upset Larry.sad to see a once great organization reduced to also rans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

RTE article this morning...

"The IFA has said retailers, who they accuse of driving down food prices..."

FFS lads as if joe public is supposed to turn around and want inflated food prices to go along with every other rip off in the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Robson99

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Was just about to text the same.why won’t joe picket outside the factories.oh wait they don’t want to upset Larry.sad to see a once great organization reduced to also rans

They won't cut the hand that lines there pockets

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    RTE article this morning...

"The IFA has said retailers, who they accuse of driving down food prices..."

FFS lads as if joe public is supposed to turn around and want inflated food prices to go along with every other rip off in the country...

It’s true though.
    Meat is too cheap.

A chicken for €3
    A pair of steaks for €5-7
    Small beef roast for €8

Very hard for the farmer to get a fair share when it’s retailing so cheap.

The decision by a retailer to sell a chicken for €3 will still factor in a profit for them, the processors won’t handle them for free so the squeeze goes into the person in the loop with the least power and poorest representation which is the farmers.

The lie that good food is cheap is destroying the food chain.

I say this because it’s sensible not because I on any way support the IFA

It’s true though.
    Meat is too cheap.

A chicken for €3
    A pair of steaks for €5-7
    Small beef roast for €8

Very hard for the farmer to get a fair share when it’s retailing so cheap.

The decision by a retailer to sell a chicken for €3 will still factor in a profit for them, the processors won’t handle them for free so the squeeze goes into the person in the loop with the least power and poorest representation which is the farmers.

The lie that good food is cheap is destroying the food chain.

I say this because it’s sensible not because I on any way support the IFA

Bit mad to hear meat is too cheap yet here we are in the EU which has been subsiding the industry since 1960s. With all the protectionism in the world farmers still cant make it work. The consumer wants a pair of steaks for €5.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Bit mad to hear meat is too cheap yet here we are in the EU which has been subsiding the industry since 1960s. With all the protectionism in the world farmers still cant make it work. The consumer wants a pair of steaks for €5.

The consumer wants steaks for €2, should we strive for that ??

The subsidies have actually contributed to the problem, they provided a fallback for farms as the processors and retailers (probably in collusion) drive back the price of meat to current levels. Without the subs this problem would have come to a head long ago and be resolved by now.

Meat retail prices are too low for it to be ethically, environmentally produced while providing for a margin for all parties in its production chain.

The current prices just don’t provide enough for it to be divided, and our lack of power and representation means farms will continue to get the crumbs of the deal.

Cheap food is a lie, it can’t be properly produced and be dirt cheap.

The consumer wants steaks for €2, should we strive for that ??

The subsidies have actually contributed to the problem, they provided a fallback for farms as the processors and retailers (probably in collusion) drive back the price of meat to current levels. Without the subs this problem would have come to a head long ago and be resolved by now.

Meat retail prices are too low for it to be ethically, environmentally produced while providing for a margin for all parties in its production chain.

The current prices just don’t provide enough for it to be divided, and our lack of power and representation means farms will continue to get the crumbs of the deal.

Cheap food is a lie, it can’t be properly produced and be dirt cheap.

We should strive to feed people at the lowest possible price, yes, that should be obvious I would of thought.

There is an oversupply of food in Ireland and Europe in general. There is nobody going to be getting a so called "fair" price while that prevails.

I would love to know the stats on how many farms here would simply cease to exist if it were not for Brussels.

The sooner Mercosur arrives the better for the consumer.

boggerman1 wrote: »

Factories just think its hilarious having farmers at the gate, the last protest should've finally proved that for everyone.
    Farmers pushed it to the limit and got nothing.
    50 in naas this morning, 200 in dublin last week. not a lot of people worried out of 100000 or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

This weeks strike is brought to you by the IFA, stay tuned for a word from our sponsors.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Tileman

The only reason the ifa picked Aldi is because the beef plan met them this month and had a very constructive meeting with them. Likely to allow 36 month beef. Ifa got wind so had to be seen to do something so beef plan can’t get the plaudits.

Why didn’t they target musgraves or Dunnes or Tesco

I don't know what's happening to Irish meat, for years now I'll only eat lambs we feed here apart from maybe lamb shank when I'm out,
    As for ram lambs from now on...ugh
    but the last few time s I've got beef out it has been very poor.
    Not surprising that people are moving away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

The only reason the ifa picked Aldi is because the beef plan met them this month and had a very constructive meeting with them. Likely to allow 36 month beef. Ifa got wind so had to be seen to do something so beef plan can’t get the plaudits.

Well, musgraves wont be targeted that for sure. Too many connections high up.

• Advertisement

I'd bet Aldi and Lidl are doing the most harm to beef prices, they seem to be the cheapest and I'll guarantee you they're not below cost selling

Advertisement