Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

Just finished Cailphate, one of the best shows I've watched in a while. Its about Islamic radicalisation in Sweden, highly recommend it if you don't mind subtitles.

Thanks for that. If it has you in the right mood, you might like to try Bodyguard, if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Snowpiercer season 1
    Earth has frozen over and the last surviving humans live on a giant train circling the globe, struggling to coexist amid the delicate balance onboard.

Justice League (not a recommendation)
    Batman assembles a band of fellow superheroes, including Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash and Cyborg, to defeat their most formidable enemies yet.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Just finished Cailphate, one of the best shows I've watched in a while. Its about Islamic radicalisation in Sweden, highly recommend it if you don't mind subtitles.

Yes, really enjoyed that show myself. Recommended it to my parents and last weekend and they ended up watching the whole series in one day/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭budgemook

km79 wrote: »
    Now I’m off to play NBA jam
    Boomshackalacka

This! I think I have it on SNES mini and all. I watched Space Jam with my 3 year old on Saturday afternoon. He got up Sunday morning at 6 to watch it again :D

Watching Life on Mars after reading recommendations here. Two episodes in and it's okay, pretty good - will stick with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Yes, really enjoyed that show myself. Recommended it to my parents and last weekend and they ended up watching the whole series in one day/night.

:pac: I may or may not have done this too. Couldn't turn it off!
    1 sheep2 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. If it has you in the right mood, you might like to try Bodyguard, if you haven't already.

Yep saw that last year and thought it was really good too! Someone suggested Line of Duty to me based on that which I hadn't seen at the time and it's prob one of my fav shows ever.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is Caliphate along the same lines as Bodyguard/Line of Duty in that they're not remotely believable but very very entertaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I just dipped into this thread so forgive me if 'Fauda' has already been mentioned. Its a series following an Israeli infiltration squad going after Palestinian terrorists in the West Bank. It's not one sided. It puts abit of flesh on both sides of the argument there. And it's great fun to watch..just a great show all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is Caliphate along the same lines as Bodyguard/Line of Duty in that they're not remotely believable but very very entertaining?

I think I saw someone say a few pages back there were plenty of parts that weren't believable, I didn't notice to be honest and thought it seemed fairly believable overall. But then again I didn't think that was an issue with Line of Duty or Bodyguard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I think I saw someone say a few pages back there were plenty of parts that weren't believable, I didn't notice to be honest and thought it seemed fairly believable overall. But then again I didn't think that was an issue with Line of Duty or Bodyguard!
    Loved Caliphate. Should get its own thread really. It seemed altogether worryingly believable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

peteeeed wrote: »
    Snowpiercer season 1
    Earth has frozen over and the last surviving humans live on a giant train circling the globe, struggling to coexist amid the delicate balance onboard.

added

Just looked there, reviews for this don't seem particularly good. Shame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bella Bee

Watching Marcella at the moment. It's very good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Has anyone watched Titans?

I've started watching the new Harley Quinn animated series on E4 and am really enjoying it. I noticed it's been made by/for DC's own streaming service in the US. It's only got a few shows at the moment but one of them is Titans which Netflix seems to have global distribution for. I'm guessing it's probably not got quite the same adult tone as Harley Quinn has, but just wondering if it's worth watching?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has anyone watched Titans?

I've started watching the new Harley Quinn animated series on E4 and am really enjoying it. I noticed it's been made by/for DC's own streaming service in the US. It's only got a few shows at the moment but one of them is Titans which Netflix seems to have global distribution for. I'm guessing it's probably not got quite the same adult tone as Harley Quinn has, but just wondering if it's worth watching?

No. Not on balance IMO. I mostly enjoyed season 1, but season 2 was a chore. Nothing really changed between seasons, I just got sick of the Try Hard angst infused in the show's blood. Wants to split the difference between open costumed super-heroics, and Synder'esque edgy drama - and doesn't quite pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

pixelburp wrote: »
    No. Not on balance IMO. I mostly enjoyed season 1, but season 2 was a chore. Nothing really changed between seasons, I just got sick of the Try Hard angst infused in the show's blood. Wants to split the difference between open costumed super-heroics, and Synder'esque edgy drama - and doesn't quite pull it off.

I really enjoyed the first season, and haven't got passed half way on the second. No great appetite to finish it, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the first season, and haven't got passed half way on the second. No great appetite to finish it, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Right, I'm thinking add it to my list but in no hurry to get to it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'm on season 3 of Money Heist - please no spoilers!
    really enjoyed it so far, although it's kind of always the same thing repeating in every season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I'm on season 3 of Money Heist - please no spoilers!
    really enjoyed it so far, although it's kind of always the same thing repeating in every season

I’m just finishing season 2 now. To be honest I’m kind of annoyed with myself that I’m still watching it. It’s incredibly ridiculous but enthralling at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns is leaving Netflix in 3 weeks time.
    Highly highly recommended viewing so put the time in to see if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I’m just finishing season 2 now. To be honest I’m kind of annoyed with myself that I’m still watching it. It’s incredibly ridiculous but enthralling at the same time

full of plotholes too :D:D

Hannah Gadsby: Douglas
    Hannah Gadsby returns for her second special and digs deep into the complexities of popularity, identity and her most unusual dog park encounter.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dark is back on 27th June..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

finally watched Brexit last night, with all the news about subject of it in the news at the moment. Really interesting and enjoyable film. Didn't really try to show Cummins in a good or bad light. A fair film IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really need to sit down and watch Dark season 2. The first was immensely good, but it was so complex I feel like I'd nearly need to watch it again before taking on S2.....which is what's putting me slightly off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I watched the first two episodes of Snowpiercer. I hadn't seen the film but I'm familiar with the plot.
    I'm enjoying it so far. I've only known Daveed Diggs from Hamilton so I'm interested to see how he works as the leading man.
    The scene in episode 2 with the
    Mothers arm being frozen and smashed
    was a bit mad but shows how insane it is outside.

I used to hate waiting for weekly episodes of shows but I'm a fan now as I wont be back in the office till September at the earliest and it marks the days.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Homelander wrote: »
    I really need to sit down and watch Dark season 2. The first was immensely good, but it was so complex I feel like I'd nearly need to watch it again before taking on S2.....which is what's putting me slightly off.

We only got around to it recently and it was brilliant. Was sorry we put it off for so long though as we were a bit lost at first trying to remember who everyone was and how things played out in season 1 (the recap on netflix itself is useless). At least it is fresh in our head for part 3 now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Homelander wrote: »

I’m the same, season 1 was brilliant but I feel like I have to rewatch it before I start season 2

Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich
    Stories from survivors fuel this docuseries examining how convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein used his wealth and power to carry out his abuses.

I'm No Longer Here(mexican)
    A terrible misunderstanding with a local gang sends 17-year-old Ulises, leader of a group hooked on cumbia music, across the border to save his life.

added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Watched season 1 of kingdom. Very good, but one major inconsistency has put me off a little.
    The monsters we're definitely reacting to the sun and not heat. They weren't bothered by fire in the same way as the sun. They would flee as soon as the sun came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

Have started watching Girl/Haji. So far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I really liked season 1 of the last kingdom, so much so I was comparing it with game of thrones. But watched season 2 recently and found myself nodding off during a lot of episodes. I was happy there was only 8 episodes as I just wanted to get it finished, as I guess season 3/4 must be a lot better based on all the talk about it.

Advertisement