Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Auto refill system?

Yeah, its a gift. I've an off farm job and my dad does most of the day to day work..... he also got his hip replaced 6 years ago and his knee 4 months ago, so its a must for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

This is just some basic engineering, its a stand to stop the vacuum pipe pulling on the cone when sucking up slurry. Without it the cone and the rubber from the tanker pipe can break it seal.
    Tidy job darragh . I call down one of the days and throw a coat of plaster on that wall for you :P

moy83 wrote: »
    Tidy job darragh . I call down one of the days and throw a coat of plaster on that wall for you :P

After ya do that, you can build a wall in delaval's parlour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

After ya do that, you can build a wall in delaval's parlour.
    No bother at all :D In fairness there are even a few walls in my own place that I havent plastered , once they get a splatter of cow sh1te on them they are more or less finished .

moy83 wrote: »
    No bother at all :D In fairness there are even a few walls in my own place that I havent plastered , once they get a splatter of cow sh1te on them they are more or less finished .

You'll get more for a wall spattered in ****e these days. Some American will think its traditional or sme bull and pay a fortune for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Picked up this old lister pasture pump for a few euro. It needs a good clean up. Have bought a litre of rust treatment and will then give it a good coat of new paint before I put it out to work for the last few weeks of cattle outdoors. Also going to replace the insides of it. Nice little project for the darker evenings!

pump3_zps075fc30d.jpg

pump4_zps36ef96d0.jpg

pump1_zps92b87ba4.jpg

pump2_zpsb13c41a5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Might be worth getting it sand-blasted Reilig.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Might be worth getting it sand-blasted Reilig.

Have you ever seen the rust treatment stuff at work? You just wire brush any loose stuff off, paint up the rust with the treatment and the rust turns back into into metal in about 1 hour and you can paint over it in 3 hours. It's some job and less than Eur5 worth should do the job on this. If I had to start driving to a sand blaster with it, it wouldn't be too long before it would be costing more than it is worth. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

reilig wrote: »
    Have you ever seen the rust treatment stuff at work? You just wire brush any loose stuff off, paint up the rust with the treatment and the rust turns back into into metal in about 1 hour and you can paint over it in 3 hours. It's some job and less than Eur5 worth should do the job on this. If I had to start driving to a sand blaster with it, it wouldn't be too long before it would be costing more than it is worth. ;)

Does it keep the rust away for long

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭tomo75

What is the name of this rust treatment?

• Advertisement

Does it keep the rust away for long

Paint is the only thing that will keep the rust away for a long time. If you don't paint it after putting on the rust treatment then it will start to rust again when moisture gets at it..

tomo75 wrote: »
    What is the name of this rust treatment?

I use aquasteel rust treatment but there are plenty of other similar products out there.

Paint is the only thing that will keep the rust away for a long time. If you don't paint it after putting on the rust treatment then it will start to rust again when moisture gets at it..
    thats what i meant, it keeps it away for a while as long as you paint as ive seen rust come through paint in feck all time

thats what i meant, it keeps it away for a while as long as you paint as ive seen rust come through paint in feck all time

Rust will come through paint in a short time if you don't treat the rust with something before painting. But when treated, it won't.

Rust will come through paint in a short time if you don't treat the rust with something before painting. But when treated, it won't.
    yeah i hear ya but i used red oxide before and it didnt last too long

yeah i hear ya but i used red oxide before and it didnt last too long

Used red oxide on shed roofs myself too and the rust came through after a few years. Put a rust treatment on other sheds before I applied the red oxide and there's no sign of rust through it!!

Used red oxide on shed roofs myself too and the rust came through after a few years. Put a rust treatment on other sheds before I applied the red oxide and there's no sign of rust through it!!
    thats what i like to hear, must try that on my winter project when its finished

thats what i like to hear, must try that on my winter project when its finished

Buy it on ebay. It's half the price.

Buy it on ebay. It's half the price.
    even better:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Must try it out as well.

• Advertisement

Picked up this old lister pasture pump for a few euro. It needs a good clean up. Have bought a litre of rust treatment and will then give it a good coat of new paint before I put it out to work for the last few weeks of cattle outdoors. Also going to replace the insides of it. Nice little project for the darker evenings!

pump1_zps92b87ba4.jpg

pump2_zpsb13c41a5.jpg

Finished and ready to go. New rubber gator fitted into it

Following the rust treatment

DSC_0052_zpse9728871.jpg

2 Spray coats of green

DSC_0054_zps81e4213a.jpg

DSC_0056_zps67e2f3e7.jpg

DSC_0054_zps81e4213a.jpg

Have to bolt it down to a heavy duty small pallet after this. Fitting 1/2" heavy duty pipe to it with a foot valve to stop it taking up dirt and a non return valve.

Total cost ~ €120
    Cost new €350

very nice reilig, ace job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hi relig , what is a pasture pump and what does it do ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Hi relig , what is a pasture pump and what does it do ??

It's a nose powered pump and drinker for cattle. You can use it to suck water from a pond, river or well. The cattle learn to pump it with their nose and as they pump, the trough fills up with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Total cost ~ €120
    Cost new €350

how many hours work did you put into it?

how many hours work did you put into it?

About 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's a nose powered pump and drinker for cattle. You can use it to suck water from a pond, river or well. The cattle learn to pump it with their nose and as they pump, the trough fills up with water.

Handy and clever .... Thanks

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

How long will the cows and calves be in this area it is serving? I hope Stan, delaval et al are not looking in on this tread. Really it's far from ideal and no comparison to a mains fed water trough.

If suckler men are supposed to be commited to promoting milk in the cow, then these have no role to play. We had them here years ago, ripped them out. sure one cow would be stuck in at it for ages trying to get her fill, while the rest have to wait. How much energy is she using pumping that feckin thing.... leave it there to the poor calves. Water and adequate water is as important if not more important then fresh grass.

What kind of water would a lactating cow be needing this time of the year with a strong weanling pulling out of her?
    How much water does a strong weanling need aside from milk?
    How many gallons a minute is this yoke going to pump?
    What grass are they eating while they wait around?

It'd get a lad out of a pinch for maybe a day, but that's about it. I hope your not set stocking with it.

Muckit wrote: »
    How long will the cows and calves be in this area it is serving? I hope Stan, delaval et al are not looking in on this tread. Really it's far from ideal and no comparison to a mains fed water trough.

If suckler men are supposed to be commited to promoting milk in the cow, then these have no role to play. We had them here years ago, ripped them out. sure one cow would be stuck in at it for ages trying to get her fill, while the rest have to wait. How much energy is she using pumping that feckin thing.... leave it there to the poor calves. Water and adequate water is as important if not more important then fresh grass.

What kind of water would a lactating cow be needing this time of the year with a strong weanling pulling out of her?
    How much water does a strong weanling need aside from milk?
    How many gallons a minute is this yoke going to pump?
    What grass are they eating while they wait around?

It'd get a lad out of a pinch for maybe a day, but that's about it. I hope your not set stocking with it.

I don't know what ye were using, but certainly it couldn't have been a pasture pump like this?

We have one for years and it serves 10 cows and calves at its ease. This second pump will allow us to have 20 cows and calves in the one group.

It fills as fast as a mains drinker. A cow could pull 5 gallons into it in a minute. It will bring more than half a gallon with each pump and the animal drinks it as they are pumping. As for energy required to pump it, you could pump it with your little finger, it's that easy to pump.

Cows are never standing around waiting for it - even during the hottest weather!

I think you are very misinformed!! A pump like this will provide more than adequate water for cows and calves. It can be moved from field to field easily as the cows are moved. It's the ideal low cost solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

About 2 hours

€115 an hour! Worth your while!

Advertisement