Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i start looking at the advertiser/daft around mid-july, and look at houses at the end of the month, before the LC students start looking. there's plenty of houses in galway for rent, so you can choose to be picky at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

mmmchoccy wrote: »
    When do people normally start looking for houses/apartments?

Well if it's student accommodation your on about then most is well booked up months ago..

I'd say now is the time to be looking for a house/flat if you want one in a good location!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Usually in the early evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

Any suggestions for the best place for a postgrad moving from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TimeToWander

Haay, I'm looking for a room mates too! I'll be a first year in september.
    anyone wanna bunkkk?
    Ruth :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Sexi Mama!**!

Corrib Village : Where the students are plastered but the walls aren't!

I stayed there in first year, BEST EVER. and i got a good degree.
    Have fun, enjoy it while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kissbecca

right lads and lassies ..me and my friend need two more ppl to share a twin room in gort na coiribe if we gt the house ..its not the student accomadation but right beside it..if anyone is interested email me...we will know for defo on tuesday if were getting the house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

Has anyone any experience living in Dunaras village?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

daffodil14 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for the best place for a postgrad moving from Dublin?

Advertiser/Daft for sharing a room. If possible meet with the people beforehand so you don't end up with a bunch of junkies or students who won't let you sleep.

Also an awful lot of people seem to be having trouble spelling accommodation despite it being on every school spelling test that I can remember and in the title of this thread. lrn2read

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Does anyone know, in Cuirt na Coiribe, would it be possible to be organise a room/apartment swap with someone? Because instead of being put in an apartment with the person I put down to live with I've ended up being put in an apartment with someone who I know and simply couldn't live with without my mental well-being being completely thrown out the window :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Looking to find/share a house with some lads going to NUIG. pm me if you're looking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bad_Panda

I applied for a single room in Gort na coiribe, but i rang them today and they said that i "Might" get it when theres cancellations after the CAO like theres 80 people on the list, does anyone have any idea what me chances are, or should i start looking for other accomodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

Bad_Panda wrote: »
    I applied for a single room in Gort na coiribe, but i rang them today and they said that i "Might" get it when theres cancellations after the CAO like theres 80 people on the list, does anyone have any idea what me chances are, or should i start looking for other accomodation?

You should definately get a place in Gort, but it might not be a single room.

I know two people who only applied for Gort in September and got in (one didn't do as well as he expected to in his leaving and hadn't bothered to book accomadation in Galway because he didn't think he'd be going there, and the other person was living in Corrib originally but didn't like it so she moved to gort) both however are in twin rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Heya, I just did my LC and Im hoping to be in NUIG in September. I booked Amhra house way back in Feb, In the middle of my mocks. So I didnt have much time for investigating.
    In preparation I just thought Id have a look around here to see what people thought of it. All the threads that come up in the search are about a year old, or older. But the stuff Ive been reading isnt great by any accounts... So I was just wondering if its still the same? Mouldy? Broken fridges, couches, locks ect? And is it the same landlord as the year before last (Mike)?
    Any way any info would be a great help!
    Got to start getting my name on some waiting lists now! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Anyone know any double rooms for couples in the city centre? Exhausted daft.ie

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Anyone know any double rooms for couples in the city centre? Exhausted daft.ie

Have you tried the advertiser? or the online version?

Lots of double places on daft still. Some say they won't take couples but if you call them and actually talk to them rather than email they might be persuaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 galwaynewbie

Hello all, I'm heading up to NUIG this September to start a PhD and was wondering could anyone tell me where is local to the college? I don't want to live next door to the college so maybe 15-20min walking distance. I have exhausted rent.ie but as I don't know where is close the search is a little redundant. I would like to rent with professionals so I want to avoid student-land and party-land - been there done that.

Anyone help me out?

Have you tried the advertiser? or the online version?

Lots of double places on daft still. Some say they won't take couples but if you call them and actually talk to them rather than email they might be persuaded.

Yeah, i've done all that. Had very little joy but a few places to look at. If anyone knows of anything still PM me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Heya everyone. I have Galway down number 2 on my cao. Realistically I don't think I got the points for my first choice. I haven't booked any accomadation in Galway. Any idea on where I could start looking ? What kinda standard can I expect? What sort of prices are charged? Anyone looking to share a house can pm me if interested. I know a few lads going up to Galway but their on campus.

Heya everyone. I have Galway down number 2 on my cao. Realistically I don't think I got the points for my first choice. I haven't booked any accomadation in Galway. Any idea on where I could start looking ? What kinda standard can I expect? What sort of prices are charged? Anyone looking to share a house can pm me if interested. I know a few lads going up to Galway but their on campus.

Search the boards. There are loads of threads over the years of people in the same position. Even in this thread there are answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭WillyWaggler

ciano1 wrote: »
    In Gort last year, I gave up on the internet there and got meteor broadband for a tenner a month. Does the job :)

Is this a student offer? I can only see it for 20 a month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i know O2 does 10GB for €10/month. good signal in galway city, does the job for browsing and the odd download.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Broadband/Student+Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Yup, they seemed to have taken the offer down from the website though at the start of the summer.

I'd wait until you actually move into your place though as they might have upgraded the internet over the summer.

As for the o2 offer, it's pretty much the same except you have to pay €20 for the mobile broadband stick. It's free on Meteor. They both have 12 month contracts too.
    From what I hear though, meteor tend have faster speeds due to it not being around as long as o2 broadband and less contention etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Is anyone else finding it particularly hard to find accommodation this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TimeToWander

Is anyone else finding it particularly hard to find accommodation this year?

Im screwed for accomodation....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Is it true a lot of houses arent advertised until a while after race week ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The week the LC results come out, aye..

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Anyone know of a reasonably priced place to stay for repeats. Tried a hostel last week but it was very loud and the common room closed at 12 so couldn't study then...Corrib is full

Across from Corrib there's a great BnB. They're cheap enough and have a desk for studying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Anyone know of a reasonably priced place to stay for repeats. Tried a hostel last week but it was very loud and the common room closed at 12 so couldn't study then...Corrib is full

Eyre square townhouse, charges e49 for a single ensuite room. Places are a bit thin on the ground at the moment, so B&Bs are your best bet. Good luck with your exams.

Advertisement