Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 guitarman1

incoming 1st year myself . Got turned down by Gort , full they said ( wondering if photo was too creepy ) and got put on a waiting list . Applied to corrib village just today , It can be cancelled up to 25 August so Might look for private house in meantime . Think having definate place takes stress off if can't find any thing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NUIGstudent

...in a good or bad way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Gort, Corrib and Cuirt are all around the same price. Although you'd be beter off getting a house with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NUIGstudent

Friends got applications from Gort rejected, so I assume its full. Corrib is for first years. But thanks! Where's good to get a house?

In order of proximity to the college... Newcastle, Shantalla, Westside, Rahoon, Dangan.. or somewhere in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

Hi, Im from Kildare and thinking about going to Galway to study at NUIG, three of my mates are going to live together in a house in Corrib and they want me to tag along, I'm just wondering should I join them? or is it better to meet new people?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

DessieMG wrote: »
    Hi, Im from Kildare and thinking about going to Galway to study at NUIG, three of my mates are going to live together in a house in Corrib and they want me to tag along, I'm just wondering should I join them? or is it better to meet new people?

If you get on well with them and don't think they'd leave a mess I would, If you know them well enough. In corrib village you could end up with anyone...:eek:

When I went, you could only put down one person's name to live with. Although I guess you could contact them, or make sure you each put down one of the other's names in the group.

Anyway, you'll meet new people either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

Wahey! same boat :D you want to study medicine? I dunno if corrib is a great place to be if you are :L

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

My two friends and myself are all applying to NUI Galway this year. I was just wondering if anyone knows if Menlo Park Apartments are any good? I havent heard much about it but the place looks really nice and is reasonably priced.. I've heard how much craic Corrib Village is but Menlo is the same price and looks much nicer. Any feedback would be great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 ledzepkickass

@megan.mcgowan, Im in Menlo this year and returning next year. The positives are that the apartments are nice, in general not too noisy and not a huge walk from town or the college. Most of the people here are american students, who stay for one semester, so a different group move in in january.
    . They tend to keep to themselves in general, not a huge amount of interaction between them and us Irish students which is a pity. Overall menlo is good but theyre a bit too strict in ways, leaving the odd party slide and that would be nice, but in general they dont. Not exactly mad here in terms of the craic, but depending on yourself that might be a good or a bad thing.. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

Great to hear from someone who has actually lived there! i've heard its a bit of a trek from the college but good to know its not! I moved from America to Donegal a few years ago so maybe we'll have something in common :P Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ledzepkickass

Well its 10-15 mins walking, which I dont find too long personally but some people do ha! Thats walking by the dyke road and cutting up on to the quincentennial bridge, walking to the college the long by gort and cuirt na coribe its more like 20 mins. No problem glad to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Menlo's a fair bit out, i'm out near there this year, and you're looking at about 15-20 mins walk in most days, especially if it's raining. it's not nice crossing the quincentary bridge in that kind of weather.
    i much prefered living in Westside last year. found the walk into town from there was a bit shorter than where i'm living this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Menlo's a fair bit out, i'm out near there this year, and you're looking at about 15-20 mins walk in most days, especially if it's raining. it's not nice crossing the quincentary bridge in that kind of weather.
    i much prefered living in Westside last year. found the walk into town from there was a bit shorter than where i'm living this year

More. ex gf lived out there and it would take 25 mins to get to concourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cats331

I'm an international student, and I'll be studying abroad at NUI Galway for the coming academic year. I'm trying to make decisions about housing. My options are: a twin room in Gort na Coiribe, or a single in Cuirt na Coiribe.

I've heard more about Gort than Cuirt, so if anyone knows about the latter, I'd love to hear about that too. I'm looking for a place that's not all just international students. What's the atmosphere like in each place? Is it easier to meet people in one than in the other?

If any of you know anything about either of these places, and can tell me specifics and recommend one to me, that would be fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

GORT for sure! Cuirt is like a fancy prison and Gort is where most of the international students tend to stay.

I live there too so ask me any questions you want :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cats331

are there lots of irish students living at gort as well? Also, I was wondering if gort tends to be loud/have lots of parties- it looks like a fun place

cats331 wrote: »
    are there lots of irish students living at gort as well? Also, I was wondering if gort tends to be loud/have lots of parties- it looks like a fun place

Yup.. They tend to be all mixed in together too, I was living with 2 American girls last semester and 2 other Irish people.

Gort is awesome for parties. Cuirt on the other hand is VERY strict. No parties allowed, if you do have one then security will break it up. No outside guests allowed at night and they have a security guard at the gate stopping non residents from going in.

Gort is the least strict place to live.Anyone can go in or out at anytime.
    You'll only get problems with security if the party is VERY loud but most of the time they just tell you to quieten down a bit or just close your doors and windows to keep the noise in. Their management is fairly sound too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Basically, I live in Dublin, and have seriously start thinking of going to NUIG for Computers.
    I dont know if this is in the right place, so sorry if it isnt.
    So basically, I need help with accommodation on campus or off?(preferably on)
    What kind of prices would one be looking at?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Mark.

• Advertisement

Most student accommodation seems to be well booked up at this stage.. You'll be going on the waiting list for them I'd say.

Try daft.ie college search for houses

Hmmm, really wish i got my head around this earlier :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Most of the more popular accommodation is booked up at this point, last year I left it fairly late but still got student accommodation, Try Dunaras it's about a twenty minute walk to college but there's a free bus, the prices are fairly reasonable , and the accommodation is nice and spacious.

Sent an email enquiring to them. Ah sure a walk will do no harm, I walk that most mornings to school :)

The computers here aren't that good bro, you could probably get the same or better in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Rent a room in shared accomodation somewhere in town itself. Student accomodation is a shit hole and not any less expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Gort all the way. Cúirt is like a fancy prison complex. Except in prison the internet is faster and they allow you to have more sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

I live in cuirt. I hate it and I can't wait to move out. Management are arrogant a**holes. The place is clearly made from cardboard aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I'm in Dunaras atm..Meh Has it good bits and bad.

Negatives - Dodgy woodwork,Bug infestation,crap internet,Drafty,FAR AWAY FROM UNI, have to get taxis after night out, can be noisy, hard to get replies from the office, bus runs at awkward times.

Positives - Good at matching roomates, will make friends,nice security,near to cheap offy, really really comfy beds, big kitchens, bus to uni, Bike sheds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 eimsbgl

I'm going to college next year and other people i know that lived with their friends regret it now because they would've met more people :)
    Still like their friends tho :)
    Hope that helps

Advertisement