Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 monkeyslut

Which is the best place for first years moving to Galway?
    I'm looking into Corrib and Centrepoint. I don't know which one to choose.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

monkeyslut wrote: »
    Which is the best place for first years moving to Galway?
    I'm looking into Corrib and Centrepoint. I don't know which one to choose.

:confused:

Corrib is the best as far as i've heard :) so i booked there :P Best place to meet new people and all. heard they're also fairly good at matching people to rooms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Laochra333

Ive got a place in cuirt i know its ment to be fairly strict but how bad is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Laochra333 wrote: »
    Ive got a place in cuirt i know its ment to be fairly strict but how bad is it?

The worst in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

ciano1 wrote: »
    The worst in Galway!

I heard that one year, a group of students tried to tunnel out. I heard one even made it to city but was caught. Cant find the video of it at the moment on youtube, but I believe it was turned into a movie. Great Escape or something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Hi guys! :D

I'm a 6th year and was looking into NUIG, but I really can't afford the whole €800 deposit thing on top of their extortionate rates, and I'm worried that if I don't live on campus that I'll miss out on all the craic in first year.

Anyone have any ideas? :(

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Hi guys! :D

I'm a 6th year and was looking into NUIG, but I really can't afford the whole €800 deposit thing on top of their extortionate rates, and I'm worried that if I don't live on campus that I'll miss out on all the craic in first year.

Anyone have any ideas? :(

Try and get a place in Dún na Coiribe.... Its literally right beside Cuirt and Gort na coiribe. Theres lots of students living there too and you could also easily pop over to Gort or Corrib Village ;)

Keep an eye out on daft... Dún houses seem to be always popping up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

heard bad things about Dún landlords, not giving back deposits and such. Castlelawn Heights is just above them on the Headford Rd, much cheaper but a bit longer of a walk into college, especially if it's raining.

or try and get a place in newcastle, only a short walk to Corrib Village, and quicker to college. keep an eye on daft and the advertiser site.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

What is it with Galway and having booking fees for everywhere :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

._. wrote: »
    What is it with Galway and having booking fees for everywhere :mad:

Everywhere has booking fees :L It's a deposit so if you mess the place they have something to use to get people in to clean it with at the end :L and so it pays for your gas and electricity and all :) and to secure your booking of the place. It makes sence really :)

• Advertisement

xEmily2011 wrote: »
    Everywhere has booking fees :L It's a deposit so if you mess the place they have something to use to get people in to clean it with at the end :L and so it pays for your gas and electricity and all :) and to secure your booking of the place. It makes sence really :)
    UCD and TCD don't :p
    Well, not until after you've been offered a course there that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

Got accepted by Cuirt, should be happy that i got there but it sounds like such a miserable, conservative prison :(

Anywho Im in 14c, any of my future roomies up in here? :D

I'm pretty sure i'm going to book Dunaras Village pretty soon. Im the quiet type who studies a lot.. So think this this place will be perfect. I like that a lot of the med people live here, but what really sold it to me was the fibre powered internet access :D

I'm pretty sure i'm going to book Dunaras Village pretty soon. Im the quiet type who studies a lot.. So think this this place will be perfect. I like that a lot of the med people live here, but what really sold it to me was the fibre powered internet access :D

Internet in Dunaras (And ALL student accommodation) is utter SH*TE!

You'll end up suffering the slow speeds or getting yourself mobile internet!

Internet in Dunaras (And ALL student accommodation) is utter SH*TE!

You'll end up suffering the slow speeds or getting yourself mobile internet!

But it's fibre :\
    I'll set my torrents to download during the night, it'll be fine :P

But it's fibre :\
    I'll set my torrents to download during the night, it'll be fine :P

Its probably one fibre connection shared between a few dozen students :p
    People in Dunaras have problems using FB chat alot of the time!

Funnily enough, Corrib Village is in the process of upgrading their internet so that each apartment has its own separate WiFi connection and its fairly fast (3-4mb which is SERIOUSLY a lot faster than any student accommodation internet atm)

In Gort last year, I gave up on the internet there and got meteor broadband for a tenner a month. Does the job :)

Its probably one fibre connection shared between a few dozen students :p
    People in Dunaras have problems using FB chat alot of the time!

Funnily enough, Corrib Village is in the process of upgrading their internet so that each apartment has its own separate WiFi connection and its fairly fast (3-4mb which is SERIOUSLY a lot faster than any student accommodation internet atm)

In Gort last year, I gave up on the internet there and got meteor broadband for a tenner a month. Does the job :)

Don't tell me that >_<
    Well, it said on the website that it the broadband was only recently upgraded to fibre, so lets just hope that it's new for this year :p
    I'm going to email them and see what to story is..

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Dunaras blocked torrent downloading.. I posted the pros and cons back a few pages somewhere..:rolleyes:

MissMoppet wrote: »
    Dunaras blocked torrent downloading.. I posted the pros and cons back a few pages somewhere..:rolleyes:

Yeah.. I'm not a fan of reading 6 page long threads before I post in them, but I went back and read it, informative, thanks.

Do you know if they're still blocked when using an SSL tracker?
    And do you know if FTP/SFTP is blocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Yeah.. I'm not a fan of reading 6 page long threads before I post in them, but I went back and read it, informative, thanks.

Do you know if they're still blocked when using an SSL tracker?
    And do you know if FTP/SFTP is blocked?
    They are blocked but work during the night sometimes but you have a load of seeders or it won't work. At the start of the year nothing was blocked and we were getting serious speeds. Every port is blocked except port 80. They IT guy uses some opensourse software can't remember the name but we tried loads of times to bypass it ... not successful. As all the ports are blocked no PSN and couldn't use a VPN service as well. They filterd the internet as well but that only half worked

• Advertisement

They are blocked but work during the nights sometime but you have a load of seeders or it won't work. At the start of the year nothing was blocked and we were getting serious speeds. Every port is blocked except port 80. They IT guy uses some opensourse software can't remember the name but we tried loads of time to bypass it ... not successful. As all the ports are blocked no PSN and couldn't use a VPN service as well. They filterd the internet as well but that only half worked

wow.. They seem like they know what they're doing alright :p

I really like the sound of Dunaras but i'll definitely need to be transferring a few GB a week.. I'll have to pick somewhere else I suppose :\

I assume it's the same story with the internet access at NUIG itself then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

wow.. They seem like they know what they're doing alright :p

I really like the sound of Dunaras but i'll definitely need to be transferring a few GB a week.. I'll have to pick somewhere else I suppose :\

I assume it's the same story with the internet access at NUIG itself then?

Student mobile broadbands can be quite cheap, I had O2 when I was in Corrib last year. Coverage was grand in Galway, terrible in a lot of other places in the country, but I only used it at college.

You assume wrong. NUIG wifi is good where you're studying. Patchy in the corridors but what do you expect? Improving all the time anyway.

WiFi in student accomm will be crap no matter what they say. It'll be one fibre connection shared between loads, it'll have things blocked like torrents (though if you're clever there are ways around it).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Last year we signed a one year contract for our apartment, lease is up August 9th. We'd like to move out a month early, so we want to sublet for the last month (July 9th - August 9th). The landlady said the tenant can then sign a long term contract if they want.

It's a wonderful two bedroom (one double and one single) rooftop apartment in the heart of Galway city centre. Only 30 seconds walk from Eyre Square and all amenities. The apartment is furnished, has an electric shower, UPC Broadband, and all mod cons. Ten minute walk to NUIG, and because the apartment is on the 7th floor you're well above the noise. 750/month.

Contact by PM if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Using torrents/warez on a shared internet connection is poor form, IMO. If you really need to download stuff do it in a quiet corner of NUIG near a router, you'll get seriously good speeds. Or just get yourself a student mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Or use something far more efficient, like Rapidshare/Megaupload etc. Torrents are so last decade.

Zillah wrote: »
    Or use something far more efficient, like Rapidshare/Megaupload etc. Torrents are so last decade.

lulz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

DUN ARAS? is it suitable for second years??? :D

DUN ARAS? is it suitable for second years??? :D

No.

Get a house in Galway with friends somewhere near the college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mmmchoccy

When do people normally start looking for houses/apartments?

Advertisement