Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Election Louth Constituency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭event

How Brexit is managed is a big one for me. Its one of the main reasons I want to keep it as it is, despite having no love for FG. I'm really worried about the impact it will still have and Coveney was very strong imo. I don't know who FF will put in there to replace him, as looks more likely now

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

He's not remotely transfer friendly.

The man is literally incomprehensible.

It's funny, I live near Dundalk but work in Dublin and I'm looking for something closer to home. The last 2 interviews I've had have both been in Drogheda, I was beginning to resent Drogheda for having all the jobs (among other reasons:D)

Have never heard of that before. Usually Dundalk gets everything. What line of work are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Have never heard of that before. Usually Dundalk gets everything. What line of work are you in?

Mid-level manager in a Medtech company but both this and the previous position were in different unrelated fields and while I’m only half heartedly job hunting my own experience is that there seems to be more jobs in Drogheda.

It’ll be interesting to see what WuXi and Wasdell do in Dundalk once fully operational.

What's the story with James Byrne running? Hasn't been a councillor a wet minute and running off coat tails of brother and father's political careers. Not buying it. Michael Martin was in town with him very early on in election so FF must think they can nab another seat.

McGahon for FG I would put in the same category.

Very poor selection for Louth East Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What's the story with James Byrne running? Hasn't been a councillor a wet minute and running off coat tails of brother and father's political careers. Not buying it. Michael Martin was in town with him very early on in election so FF must think they can nab another seat.

McGahon for FG I would put in the same category.

Very poor selection for Louth East Meath.
    FF have not been strong in Drogheda for a very long time, so they just put up empty suits. If they had any sense they'd try to get someone a little further up the constituency. The FG chap in Dundalk is no different to Fitpatrick in the previous elections. He'll need O'Dowd and good vote management to get in. He has a decent chance.

is_that_so wrote: »
    FF have not been strong in Drogheda for a very long time, so they just put up empty suits. If they had any sense they'd try to get someone a little further up the constituency. The FG chap in Dundalk is no different to Fitpatrick in the previous elections. He'll need O'Dowd and good vote management to get in. He has a decent chance.

Yeah it seems like that alright. They had Anthony Moore running the last time (and in the local elections, with a brilliantly cringey song) and didn't make much headway.

The assault charge/alcohol issues with the FG candidate from Dundalk will probably lose him votes back to Fitzer.

Yeah it seems like that alright. They had Anthony Moore running the last time (and in the local elections, with a brilliantly cringey song) and didn't make much headway.

The assault charge/alcohol issues with the FG candidate from Dundalk will probably lose him votes back to Fitzer.
    FF had Emma Coffey in 2016. Not sure about the court case, which keeps getting put off. I don't think Fitzer can do much on his own. Was never a great TD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Why would they? People who are going to vote FG after their shambolic few years in charge wont care what he done

FF had Emma Coffey in 2016. Not sure about the court case, which keeps getting put off. I don't think Fitzer can do much on his own. Was never a great TD.

I forgot about Coffey. She canvassed down in Drogheda and was likeable. Think her stances on a number of issues have diverged from traditional FF though.

Fitzer? Forget it.

• Advertisement

I forgot about Coffey. She canvassed down in Drogheda and was likeable. Think her stances on a number of issues have diverged from traditional FF though.

Fitzer? Forget it.
    Eh not that likeable. Blow in/runner was the muttering and there seemed to be other stuff under the surface. She didn't do well.
    Meanwhile RTE had a party political in Dundalk. Breathnach, Munster, Fitzer and McGahon. He actually came across OK. LMFM reckon SF will take two seats and Nash in the running. Sinead Hussey questions whether SF will get both seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Rte News at 6 featured Louth. Strongest candidates are from drogheda. Fitzer was hopeless. McGahon came across ok. Breathnach, a teacher, spoke about entrepreneurs being the life line of the economy. Give me strength. But he’s guaranteed a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would a conviction (criminal record) prevent him from running for FG?
    Just found the answer=

Rules
    You are disqualified from membership of Dáil Eireann if:

You are not a citizen of Ireland
    You have not yet reached 21 years of age
    You are a member of a local authority
    You are a senior official of an institution of the European Union, for example, a member of the European Commission or a judge, advocate general or registrar of the European Court of Justice or a member of the Court of Auditors of the European Community
    You are a member of the Garda Siochana
    You are a full-time member of the Defence Forces
    You are a civil servant and it does not specifically state in your contract of employment that you may be a member of the Dáil
    You are a person of unsound mind
    You are presently in prison serving a term greater than 6 months
    You are the President, a member of the Seanad, the Comptroller and Auditor General or a Judge.

If Mick Wallace qualifies, for Dail membership, ( not FG) and European Parliament membership, the rules must be ‘loose’ and if Dara Murphy (an FG TD)could be a Junior minister and turn up when the Dail wasn’t actually sitting then FG rules mean diddly squat,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

joeysoap wrote: »
    If Mick Wallace qualifies, anyone qualifies.

Indeed, and Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

The Louth hospital is a disproportionate issue these days. Most of the candidates talking about reopening it are paying lip service as it's unlikely at this stage it will ever be done. Would require massive investment, staffing and modernisation before it could reopen and with the state the HSE is doomed to for the next decade at least that investment would never be made available even if a pro-reopening candidate made it into government. Short of a Louth TD being given the Health minister post, it's pie in the sky stuff at this stage, much as it pains me to say it.

What are people's main concerns about Louth in general? For me it's crime. Breathnach's calls for cross-border crime taskforce resonates well with me. The border is a magical forcefield for criminals as it stands. Would like to see that tackled properly somehow. Depending on how the Brexit deal pans out a flare up of smuggling and cross-border organised crime is very much on the cards.

Healthcare in the region is an issue but dont let any politician ramble on about reinstating the Louth County Hospital to full acute status. Too far gone at this stage. What candidates could be pushed on is using the capacity at LCH for stepdown beds, convalesance after time in OLOL to free beds there and also respite capacity. The LCH is already the regions centre for Endoscopy services and similar daycase eg opthamolgy and at a push 'minor' op procedure services could be developed to take presure off OLOL. MIU and the expansion of this to some paediatrics is progress. A one stop shop primary care centre in Dundalk is badly needed - GP referrals for xrays and minor diagnostics in preperation for a consultation in OLOL would help wiaiting lists and reduce waiting times at clinics. I see today there is a planning application to add 2 stories to OLOL for acute surgical facilities which will have a significant impact. A pre-admission holding area so that people are not lying on stretchers (usually from an ambulance unit tying up that unit) is a must but they are running out of space on the current site. Acquiring what is currently United Park for anciilliary services to allow the more expansions of the more acute needs on the main campus should be pushed.

Safe injecting facilities across the region with support and detox services should top candiates agendas also.

Crime is a major issue currently. I'm not sure that there is a quick fix with the general time for due process to occur. As bad as it is, short of something like internment of suspects we have to let police do their job. What is probably more of an issue is reform of the judiciary, expiditing criminal cases and providing capacity in the prion service. That said do we want to be a society that is always all about locking people up? There are other models to look at eg restorative justice that are proven to be more effective than incarceration. Dealing with the drug epidemic even to the extent of legalisation would completely change criminality in this country.

Jobs in a Drogheda v Dundalk v Dublin shouldnt rank that highly in concerns. up to 1 hour commute to work people should adapt to. Time to lose the Dundalk V Drogheda stuff and focus on what can benefit the region. Appropriate transport infrastructure is the main issue here. There should not be hundreds of cars parked at each junction off the M1. Safe carparking, car pooling initiatives, buses should be introduced at ky points off the M1. (re)Opening of railway stations eg Dunleer and an audit of old lines that could be reopened eg Navan to Dublin.

Globally and very much nationally and locally we need to take a long term look at the nation's health-GP referral schemes to personal trainers may seem daft and extravigant but would save a fortune in the medium and long term.

I'm intrigued by the 'living wage' experiments that have been done in Scandanavia and something we should look in to here as a reform of the welfare system.

We are so far behind on enviornmental issues that it is a national embaressment but this is not just for new policies with new politicians - we need to consider our own conduct and attitude toward things beyond recycling as flytipping and general littering is costing unnecessary money to clean up. Maybe school initiatives to develop respect invested in?

Cross border issues and Brexit is a wait and see but initially get rid of the whole dying poluting agri fuel and use the tax system with authorised suppliers to agriculture directly. There are bound to be ways more sophisticated to tackle this issue than spending millions cleaning up the mess by smuggling fuels and the chemicals left from the 'washing'.

Incoherent, misspelt ramble over...

Fitzer appears to have left a branded car in my housing estate. No NCT, no tax or insurance displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Fitzer appears to have left a branded car in my housing estate. No NCT, no tax or insurance displayed.

All in the post :pac:

Call the guards and get it towed away.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

LOUTH:

Big bother in wee county according to Fionnán Sheehan in this mornings Irish Indo.

"It's not guaranteed but Sinn Féin is in play to hold two seats with Imelda Munster in Drogheda, and Ruairí Ó Murchú in Dundalk, replacing Gerry Adams. Fine Gael's Fergus O'Dowd and Fianna Fáil's Declan Breathnach should be alright. Then there's a right scrap for the seat held by Independent former Fine Gael TD Peter Fitzpatrick - and the second Sinn Féin seat if it comes loose - with Labour's Ged Nash and Green Mark Dearey. Fianna Fáil's James Byrne and Fine Gael's John McGahon will build for another day."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/bitesize-ballot-the-final-week-whos-on-the-run-or-in-the-running-38920124.html

For me,atm =

Breathnach(FF) will top the poll.(1 seat FF)

SF will hold 2 seats.(2 seats SF)

O'Dowd(FG) home for all money.(1 seat FG)

Battle then between Deary(GP),Byrne(FF) & Nash(LAB) for the 5th seat.

Fitzpatrick(IND) wont get enough votes in South Louth and McGahon(FG) has no real base there either.Will Fitzpatrick transfer well to McGahon?? and vice versa? Bit of anomosity between the two i believe so remains to be seen.BUT bit of a red herring anyway as neither,i believe,will get elected.

So down to the transfers and imo the fifth and final seat will be between Byrne(FF) -who isn't very well known in North Louth at all, Nash(LAB)-,wont get many votes in North Louth either & Deary(GP) with Deary(GP) justtttttt about getting home on transfers.

All in the post :pac:

Call the guards and get it towed away.:p

Still there this morning at 6am as I was heading off to work. If it’s there when I get home I’ll ask the guards to move it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

LOUTH:

Big bother in wee county according to Fionnán Sheehan in this mornings Irish Indo.

"It's not guaranteed but Sinn Féin is in play to hold two seats with Imelda Munster in Drogheda, and Ruairí Ó Murchú in Dundalk, replacing Gerry Adams. Fine Gael's Fergus O'Dowd and Fianna Fáil's Declan Breathnach should be alright. Then there's a right scrap for the seat held by Independent former Fine Gael TD Peter Fitzpatrick - and the second Sinn Féin seat if it comes loose - with Labour's Ged Nash and Green Mark Dearey. Fianna Fáil's James Byrne and Fine Gael's John McGahon will build for another day."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/bitesize-ballot-the-final-week-whos-on-the-run-or-in-the-running-38920124.html

For me,atm =

Breathnach(FF) will top the poll.(1 seat FF)

SF will hold 2 seats.(2 seats SF)

O'Dowd(FG) home for all money.(1 seat FG)

Battle then between Deary(GP),Byrne(FF) & Nash(LAB) for the 5th seat.

Fitzpatrick(IND) wont get enough votes in South Louth and McGahon(FG) has no real base there either.Will Fitzpatrick transfer well to McGahon?? and vice versa? Bit of anomosity between the two i believe so remains to be seen.BUT bit of a red herring anyway as neither,i believe,will get elected.

So down to the transfers and imo the fifth and final seat will be between Byrne(FF) -who isn't very well known in North Louth at all, Nash(LAB)-,wont get many votes in North Louth either & Deary(GP) with Deary(GP) justtttttt about getting home on transfers.
    That's the second or third time recently I've seen somebody tip James Byrne to get a seat. Can't see it. He's not even that well known in Drogheda. He's the Drogs version of John McGahon. Really can't see FF getting two seats.

My picks: Breathnach, Munster, O'Mhurchu, Nash to get the first four seats with O'Dowd and Fitzer scrapping it out for the fifth and final seat. Hard to call that one but I'm thinking Fitzer may edge it.

Non election for me so far. First I heard of FG introducing a ‘pre season payment’ for 65 years old (around the JSB rate but not jsb) and a payment equivalent to pension at 66 ( but not ‘the pension’) was Leo on RTE this morning. And that was only in response to a question. Should state here that it doesn’t affect me now, but at 65, for the very first time in my life, I had to apply for JSB and get a public services card.

0 callers so far and I live in residential area of Dundalk.

I don’t think Fitzer will get in. He’s really not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Pighead wrote: »
    That's the second or third time recently I've seen somebody tip James Byrne to get a seat. Can't see it. He's not even that well known in Drogheda. He's the Drogs version of John McGahon. Really can't see FF getting two seats.

My picks: Breathnach, Munster, O'Mhurchu, Nash to get the first four seats with O'Dowd and Fitzer scrapping it out for the fifth and final seat. Hard to call that one but I'm thinking Fitzer may edge it.

If Fitzer edges O'Dowd you are suggesting no FG seat which I cant see happening. McGahon will transfer to O'Dowd and get him over the line if he is in trouble. Cant entirely rule out Fitzer due to his county wide profile with the GAA.
    Nash is a hit or miss so a bit like Labour nationwide. Real test for the 'Green Wave' and Deary has a broader profile than many too.

The 4th amd 5th seats will indicate the king makers in the coalition.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

501821.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

SF going to regret only running fourth odd candidates now.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    SF going to regret only running fourth odd candidates now.
    Based on their performance in the locals it was the only call. Any party would have done the same.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    If Fitzer edges O'Dowd you are suggesting no FG seat which I cant see happening. McGahon will transfer to O'Dowd and get him over the line if he is in trouble. Cant entirely rule out Fitzer due to his county wide profile with the GAA.
    Nash is a hit or miss so a bit like Labour nationwide. Real test for the 'Green Wave' and Deary has a broader profile than many too.

The 4th amd 5th seats will indicate the king makers in the coalition.
    That Green surge is not that big at all. Fitzer will not edge O'Dowd as O'Dowd had to rescue him twice. Looking now like the only question is that last seat with FG v Lab in for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭event

event wrote: »
    2SF
    2FG
    1FF

Thats me estimate on it but wouldn't be surprised to see 2FF with FG losing 1

So its looking lilke

2 SF (O Murchu & Munster)
    1 FF (Breatnach)
    1 FG (O'Dowd)
    1 Lab (Nash

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

I would hate to see Fitzer re-elected but it wouldn't surprise me at all. I've heard on a few occasions "he's the man to go to to get things done." There's a perception that he's a hard working TD. Personally, I would prefer a politician to have some sort of coherent ideology rather than try and fix the problems of every individual who happens to come knocking. Fitzer's our version of the Healy-Rae's only without the self-awareness to realise it.
    I'm hoping Nash and Deary get in, I think Nash is intelligent and articulate. He's done a lot of work on economic issues like pushing for a living wage etc. The Labour party on a national level seems to be flirting with identity politics which I think is electoral suicide but as far as I can tell Nash has stayed away thankfully. Deary is well known and well liked around Dundalk, I think he comes across well and it's high time we put in place more environmentally friendly policies.

Unlikely they'll both get in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Ivan Yeats called Breathach,O 'Dowd, Nash, O'Murchu and .......... Byrne!!

Advertisement