Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election Louth Constituency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No it dosn't ya header - Costed and delivering are same method>

no hospital should cost what we're paying for out in Crumlin.

Dress it up anyway you want but this govt,aided by ff have let this scandal go on too long.

you want to deflect though.
    Costed just means the estimate is right, it offers no commentary on whether it's advisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

No it dosn't ya header - Costed and delivering are same method>

no hospital should cost what we're paying for out in Crumlin.

Dress it up anyway you want but this govt,aided by ff have let this scandal go on too long.

you want to deflect though.

I've decided not to vote for FF or FG, Deary is going to get my number 1.

You're 100% wrong in what you're saying regarding costed though. Affording any weight to the statements being made by SF about their manifesto being costed is stupid as it means nothing.

But, it seems to be working so no wonder they keep repeating it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'll be voting SF 1 & 2, probably Nash 3 and FF 4.

So I say this as a SF voter.

A lot of their stuff is pie-in-the-sky stuff. I square that with myself by saying I appreciate their hearts are in the right places, as opposed to FG and FF, and I'd hope that even though it won't be achieveable entirely, I'd be hopeful they'd make strides to fight some of the horrific issues that FG have created in the last 8 years, and FF before them.

I'll vote for SF, but I'd never try and argue their manifesto is some nuanced, fully-costed bible....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I still haven’t decided.
    I need a sieve for all the promises and s*** I’m reading. I have to get to the truth before I decide.
    It ain’t easy being a voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've decided not to vote for FF or FG, Deary is going to get my number 1.

You're 100% wrong in what you're saying regarding costed though. Affording any weight to the statements being made by SF about their manifesto being costed is stupid as it means nothing.

But, it seems to be working so no wonder they keep repeating it.

Voting Green usually costs the taxpayer a lot more.
    The last time they were in they caused the price of fuel to rise.
    They warned against petrol usage and advised that diesel was better NOW they have changed their minds I.e have been proved wrong.

• Advertisement

Voting Green usually costs the taxpayer a lot more.
    The last time they were in they caused the price of fuel to rise.
    They warned against petrol usage and advised that diesel was better NOW they have changed their minds I.e have been proved wrong.

All true. I’m not sure I’d vote Green if I thought Deary had a chance of getting in so my vote is more of a statement or an attempt to highlight climate change as an issue than anything else.

As the previous poster said about SF (though I’d disagree with him about the party while agreeing about some SF’s candidates) I think the Greens have good intentions but were let down by bad advice and poor leadership.

Full disclosure; I drive an EV so I won’t be as impacted by Green policies as others particularly any increase in fuel or home heating oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I might vote green, but I know doing so will in probability cost me money. But if it means a better planet for my grandchildren I’ll take the hit. Unfortunately I don’t believe what we do in the his country will make difference. Not an excuse to do nothing though.

This guy has flown half way round the world for £120. Something seriously wrong.

https://youtu.be/E3mydRGaUkI

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭event

Qué?

Their manifesto is absolute pie in the sky stuff. It relys on taxing people massively who are on over €140k a year. What happens when all those people leave? Cos they will

Just back from the polling station and it was quite busy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Had to queue into the polling station for the first time in my life. Probably more to do with it being a saturday/storm due but the polling staff reckon it's the fastest turnout in decades.

Gave most a preference apart from SF, Freedom Party, Renua and that Byrne conspiracy theory nutjob.

The SF wave is making me sick after the pain and misery they helped inflict in North Louth in my lifetime. The fact it's the 30 to 40 age bracket seemingly boosted is madness - their memories shouldn't be that short. Slab Murphy be delighted.

When SF come after multinationals to pay for all their ambitious plans say bye bye to PayPal et al.

• Advertisement

Had to queue into the polling station for the first time in my life. Probably more to do with it being a saturday/storm due but the polling staff reckon it's the fastest turnout in decades.

Gave most a preference apart from SF, Freedom Party, Renua and that Byrne conspiracy theory nutjob.

The SF wave is making me sick after the pain and misery they helped inflict in North Louth in my lifetime. The fact it's the 30 to 40 age bracket seemingly boosted is madness - their memories shouldn't be that short. Slab Murphy be delighted.

When SF come after multinationals to pay for all their ambitious plans say bye bye to PayPal et al.

National Pen in particular, wouldn’t take much for them to shut up shop and relocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

3,000+ votes in, biased towards Drogheda in location but Munster is doing fantastic; 35%. Nash 12.5, Ó'Murchú 10.4, O'Dowd 7.6, Fitzer 7.1, Breathnach 7%.

I constantly see this brought up when people who dislike SF are discussing why people vote for them. It's as if they think people are ignorant of SF's past.

We aren't. It's just that while what SF did 10, 20, 30 years ago was absolutely horrific, for many, what the likes of FG are doing RIGHT NOW is horrible.

The SF surge is as much a reflection of how poor a job FG are doing selling themselves as it is a reflection on SF's past. For many people, SF is the only alternative to the damage FG are causing now and that FF helped set up.

3,000+ votes in, biased towards Drogheda in location but Munster is doing fantastic; 35%. Nash 12.5, Ó'Murchú 10.4, O'Dowd 7.6, Fitzer 7.1, Breathnach 7%.
    Out of an electorate of over 100k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Tough ask for FF to take a seat; 12% of the vote split between two candidates. The extra 3% first preference vote FG have makes a big difference, they should get a seat. Nash doing poorly than expected. Fitzer is well placed and picking up votes throughout the constituency.

Of course, A lot depends on where the SF surplus goes. I can see three elected without reaching the quota. This is not going to be a quick count.

Think we can say 4/5 seats are clear even at this early stage 2 SF, 1 FF and 1 FG. It also looks like a definite seat loss for FG with Nash and, a surprise for me, Dearey in with a shout. I'd go for Nash for the last seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Is Nash likely to be transfer friendly from any SF surpluses?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Breathnach not doing as well as expected considering he topped the poll last time out.

As things stand, Declan Breathnach is running seventh and will be hoping transfers go his waym otherwise Fianna Fáil are at a danger of failing to return a Louth candidate for the first time ever.

Fianna Fail are in trouble. I don't understand why it was assumed that there is a FF seat given the tallies.

Is Nash likely to be transfer friendly from any SF surpluses?
    He just needs to be in the frame as Donnelly says.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Think we can say 4/5 seats are clear even at this early stage 2 SF, 1 FF and 1 FG. It also looks like a definite seat loss for FG with Nash and, a surprise for me, Dearey in with a shout. I'd go for Nash for the last seat.

I think Nash will struggle, hasn’t polled too well in Drogheda and unlikely to do much better in Dundalk.

Fianna Fail are in trouble. I don't understand why it was assumed that there is a FF seat given the tallies.
    Tallies can swing support levels up and down depending on where they come from. Let's wait for an actual count. 12% might even be OK for them.

I think Nash will struggle, hasn’t polled too well in Drogheda and unlikely to do much better in Dundalk.
    If he comes in anywhere where he was the last time he'll compete. The huge tranche of votes for SF is throwing everything out of whack.

Final Tally

1. Imelda Munster - 16,538 (23.61%)
    2. Ruairi O’Murchu - 12,461 (17.79%)
    3. Fergus O’Dowd - 6,402 (9.14%)
    4. Peter Fitzpatrick - 6,009 (8.58%)
    5. Declan Breathnach - 5,697 (8.13%)
    6. Ged Nash - 5,696 (8.13%)
    7. Mark Dearey - 5,409 (7.73%)

Last two seats are anyone's guess.

1 vote between Breathnach and Nash.

Final Tally

1. Imelda Munster - 16,538 (23.61%)
    2. Ruairi O’Murchu - 12,461 (17.79%)
    3. Fergus O’Dowd - 6,402 (9.14%)
    4. Peter Fitzpatrick - 6,009 (8.58%)
    5. Declan Breathnach - 5,697 (8.13%)
    6. Ged Nash - 5,696 (8.13%)
    7. Mark Dearey - 5,409 (7.73%)

Last two seats are anyone's guess.
    Yep although Breathnach will have his insipid running mate to help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭BQQ

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep although Breathnach will have his insipid running mate to help him.

May not help him that much.
    Running mate is from Drogheda and may even transfer more to Nash

BQQ wrote: »
    May not help him that much.
    Running mate is from Drogheda and may even transfer more to Nash
    He may not need that much. Even a thousand votes could put him above Fitzpatrick. All those SF transfers will be interesting but a lot of them will just go dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭event

Fitzer :|

• Advertisement

Breathnach should make it up from Byrne's transfers and Nash v Fitzer unless SF help Fitzer.

Advertisement