Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election Louth Constituency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

joeysoap wrote: »
    0 callers

Daughter
    0 callers

Son
    0 callers

I think this must widespread

SF one day last week to my neighbour but otherwise just bumph. Same every election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not a single canvasser here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Fitzpatrick has big signs up all over East Meath which I only noticed today. I wouldn't have thought anyone around there would even know who he is his profile was so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

There’s much more homeless in NI

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/20000-northern-ireland-households-are-now-homeless-37719853.html

There’s 10,000 here and that’s too much but not as ad as NI and half the population.

Untrue - numbers in the 6c are counted differently.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Just a quick question regarding fringe candidates that obviously have no chance of winning. The likes of David Bradley who got a couple of hundred votes last time and is going again this time around. Or Topanga Bird who is unknown in Louth and has zero chance of being elected.

Why do they put themselves forward. I reckon at the very least it's going to cost them a grand as well as hundreds of wasted hours walking the streets and knocking on doors. Is it an ego thing? I see Topanga Bird has had two full page ads in a local paper this week and they don't come cheap. Does she genuinely think she has a chance or is it just a case of being seen to try and do something rather than sniping from the sidelines?

Any former fringe candidates here able to enlighten me?

Right wing, anti abortion candidates always seem to have an unending stream of cash.:confused::rolleyes:
    Those guys have a few running Feb 8th but just with different names.(Bradley,Bird,etc..)

Years ago you could get on the ballot for <€10 - i once voted for North-end punk CHARLIE R back in the day :D 80's,possibly late 70's - impossible these days'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭PGE1970

nc6000 wrote: »
    Fitzpatrick has big signs up all over East Meath which I only noticed today. I wouldn't have thought anyone around there would even know who he is his profile was so low.

He might stand a better chance of getting votes there so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PGE1970 wrote: »
    He might stand a better chance of getting votes there so :D
    Those posters have been up since the election was announced but I imagine they are confusing to people outside of Dundalk who've never heard of him!

Fitzer's a dead punt.

Conservatives are switching to Deary.

lump on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

James Byrne called to us last night. Only one to call - unfortunately, I was on a work call at the time and only got out to the door as he was going. Mr. CL had a chat with him but think it was all very wishy washy.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

CheerLouth wrote: »
    James Byrne called to us last night. Only one to call - unfortunately, I was on a work call at the time and only got out to the door as he was going. Mr. CL had a chat with him but think it was all very wishy washy.

FF has long been the party of the chancer. They are the bodhran of politics.

The thing that annoyed me more was when I did make it out to the door, he just said "Hello" to me - he didn't introduce himself or ask if I had any concerns, or make any effort to explain any of his manifesto to me - just kept talking to the husband.

• Advertisement

I just think it’s funny, that’s all.

Never insinuated they were intimidating anyone.

you're easily wised as they'd say down our direction ;)

In an update, the shinners appear to be going around the parish now - not the actual candidates themselves and all they appear to be doing is flinging leaflets at people and running off. No desire to converse at all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The thing that annoyed me more was when I did make it out to the door, he just said "Hello" to me - he didn't introduce himself or ask if I had any concerns, or make any effort to explain any of his manifesto to me - just kept talking to the husband.

In an update, the shinners appear to be going around the parish now - not the actual candidates themselves and all they appear to be doing is flinging leaflets at people and running off. No desire to converse at all.

FURTHER UPDATE:

What are fg$& ff etc.. going to do about homeless,law and order and the health service?

Talking about people throwing leaflets willy nilly serves nobody well,total distraction and abso bull crap.

Lets get some real policies on the board here instead of some silly point scoring exercises.

SF have costed all their manifesto.

lol -classic:D

No need to get all funny and me in mid flow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭event

:D:D:D:D:D

BIG business gurus that want FF/FG to stay in power(because it would suit them) release statement saying as much.
    Best you can come up with?

Whats ff/fg labour costing on housing?
    Healthcare?
    ffs- anything.
    Any wonder they're(fg esp) 10 points on the latest op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I'm not being smart or condescending, but do you know what they mean when they say its been costed?

It means the Dept. of Finance have checked the figures and they are correct i.e. €1m + €1m = €2m and so on.

It doesn't mean the figures are realistic/achievable or that the assumptions contained within are accurate. It also doesn't take into consideration the impact of implementing it would have.

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D

Qué?

I'm not being smart or condescending, but do you know what they mean when they say its been costed?

It means the Dept. of Finance have checked the figures and they are correct i.e. €1m + €1m = €2m and so on.

It doesn't mean the figures are realistic/achievable or that the assumptions contained within are accurate. It also doesn't take into consideration the impact of implementing it would have.

And thats fair enough.
    Throw me alternatives.

BIG business gurus that want FF/FG to stay in power(because it would suit them) release statement saying as much.
    Best you can come up?

No matter what I say, it won't persuade you.

I am a (small) business owner. I work with big businesses. Businesses (small or large, MNC or local sole trader) significantly shoulder the tax burden that help run the country and provide employment to people that pay taxes. These taxes fund our public services and the civil service.

So do I take notice of what ISME or IBEC say? Yes.

But as I say, it won't persuade you but it's not my business to do so.

And by the way, I won't be voting for FF or FG on Saturday either. I shall be voting for Ged Nash as I appreciate the work that he has done for workers in the country and because I find that he speaks sensibly and would represent the area well.

No matter what I say, it won't persuade you.

I am a (small) business owner. I work with big businesses. Businesses (small or large, MNC or local sole trader) significantly shoulder the tax burden that help run the country and provide employment to people that pay taxes. These taxes fund our public services and the civil service.

So do I take notice of what ISME or IBEC say? Yes.

But as I say, it won't persuade you but it's not my business to do so.

And by the way, I won't be voting for FF or FG on Saturday either. I shall be voting for Ged Nash as I appreciate the work that he has done for workers in the country and because I find that he speaks sensibly and would represent the area well.

Fair enough and as a small business holder myself i'd have to ask why you would support Labour - i don't get it?:confused:
    Labour shot this country to pieces in the 1st place back in te 00's or do you not remamber?

Best wishes.

And thats fair enough.
    Throw me alternatives.

I'm not campaigning for anyone, I just get annoyed when people says its been costed like it means anything other than they got their sums correct. I don't think parties (any of them) deserve credit for that.

Fair enough and as a small business holder myself i'd have to ask why you would support Labour - i don't get it?

I vote for the candidate rather than the party and I think that he is a good guy.

"Labour shot this country to pieces in the 1st place" - unfortunate turn of phrase for a SF supporter to use ;)

I'm not campaigning for anyone, I just get annoyed when people says its been costed like it means anything other than they got their sums correct. I don't think parties (any of them) deserve credit for that.

Come on now-OF course it means something.
    The numbers have been looked at and scrutinised by independent and maybe foreign examiners who are basically saying that SF have balanced the books.

FG are spending millions on a failed health care system and are proposing to build a children's hospital that = although at a early planning stage is beset by cost and rivalry.
    SF will stop all that in it's track.

€1.7 billion children hospitals :eek: Come on mate?

I vote for the candidate rather than the party and I think that he is a good guy.

"Labour shot this country to pieces in the 1st place" - unfortunate turn of phrase for a SF supporter to use ;)

I don't get it:confused:

Come on now-OF course it means something.
    The numbers have been looked at and scrutinised by independent and maybe foreign examiners who are basically saying that SF have balanced the books.

But it doesn't mean that.

All it means is that the figures inputted add up to the totals stated.

It absolutely hasn't been scrutinized by the Department, so issues like whether 100,000 homes can be built for €6.5bn or whether an increase in the vacant site levy will generate an extra €100m (or whatever the actual figure is) haven't been tested by anyone. All that's been tested is that when SF add €6.5bn + €100m they get €6.6bn. That's what costed means.

FG are spending millions on a failed health care system and are proposing to build a children's hospital that = although at a early planning stage is beset by cost and rivalry.
    SF will stop all that in it's track.

€1.7 billion children hospitals :eek: Come on mate?

How? That's a genuine question, because having a budget and addressing the issues that caused the overrun are 2 very different things.

• Advertisement

No it dosn't ya header - Costed and delivering are same method>

no hospital should cost what we're paying for out in Crumlin.

Dress it up anyway you want but this govt,aided by ff have let this scandal go on too long.

you want to deflect though.

Advertisement