Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Who knew Jon Snow could act !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

First Man
    Damien Chazelle’s moon landing drama finds gripping danger amid its tale of remote emotions.

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous Season 1
    Set within the same timeline as the 2015 blockbuster sequel, the animated series follows a group of six teenagers chosen for a once-in-a-lifetime experience at a new adventure camp on the opposite side of Isla Nublar. But when dinosaurs wreak havoc across the island, the campers are stranded. Unable to reach the outside world, they’ll need to go from strangers to friends to family if they’re going to survive.

Ratched: Season 1
    “You should bathe more often. Your fingernails are filthy.” That’s the sound of Nurse Ratched bringing her unique bedside manner to Netflix in Ryan Murphy’s One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest prequel series, starring Sarah Paulson as the iconic asylum nurse.

The American Barbecue Showdown Season 1
    Eight of the country's best backyard smokers and pitmasters vie for the title of American Barbecue Champion in a fierce but friendly faceoff.

Johnny English Strikes Again

added

• Subscribers Posts: 41,860 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched old guard for the craic last night. Ah jaysus....

What starts as a good premise for an "underworld" type movie (immortals living amongst us) it just turns to complete farce with pretty suspect acting.

The more the 2 long hours play out, the more it morphs into a pilot... With the ending securing that aspect.

They only good thing about the movie is that I could watch Charlie theron mix mortar and I'd still be enthralled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Is there not some Fernando Torres documentary supposed to be out today?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

budgemook wrote: »
    Is there not some Fernando Torres documentary supposed to be out today?

I thought that was coming out on amazon prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought that was coming out on amazon prime.

So it is. I was reading something about it earlier in the week and they definitely said Netflix but obviously had it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭p to the e

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I can’t wait to watch the challenger documentary(which I hadn’t realised was four parts and not one) later on. I mean I’ve read the report of the accident over the years and know most of the stories behind this awful tragedy and I saw Dick Scobbies wife in the trailer and hopefully they have more than just Alan McDonald from Morton Thiokol(he’s a legend in his own right but hopefully we get more) and their take on that part of it. I’ll stop because I could keep rambling on about it.
    mikhail wrote: »
    I don't know if they mention him in it, but Richard Feynman's minority report on the disaster is required reading at many engineering colleges. It's quite an accessible read.
    https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/51-l/docs/rogers-commission/Appendix-F.txt

Looking forward to this myself. I studied Mechanical Engineering in College and the challenger disaster was a case study that came up time and time again across multiple subjects (thermodynamics, Materials science, Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics). I was a bit of science nerd so couldn't believe it when I heard Feynman was involved in the investigation. Amazing how such a small component failure led to such a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anyone watched Cobra Kai yet ?
    It’s supposed to be very good
    I’m wondering if it’s suitable for a 10 year old though ?
    We watched this first two karate kids with him over last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,364 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

mikhail wrote: »
    I don't know if they mention him in it, but Richard Feynman's minority report on the disaster is required reading at many engineering colleges. It's quite an accessible read.
    https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/51-l/docs/rogers-commission/Appendix-F.txt

If I remember correctly from other documentaries and stuff I’ve read the committee just knew his name and didn’t know his personality and got caught by the O ring in the ice experiment he did.

If you’ve been in the space forum of this site you’ll know I’m a huge fan of space and manned space flight both American and soviet/Russian and both the challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters took the shine off nasa for me. The shuttle was sold as doing stuff in a time frame it couldn’t achieve in term of number of launches per year. Challenger should never have happened if NASA hadn’t of been so ****ing arrogant because they only ever had one disaster on the pad(Apollo 1) and I think some nasa management got moved after Columbia thankfully. Again I’m rambling so I’ll stop.

Edit: btw no I’ve not watched the documentary yet but I plan to do it this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

km79 wrote: »
    Anyone watched Cobra Kai yet ?
    It’s supposed to be very good
    I’m wondering if it’s suitable for a 10 year old though ?
    We watched this first two karate kids with him over last month

season 1 is borderline ok (gains a few nostalgia points), season 2 is atrocious. Perfectly fine for a 10 year old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭cml387

Stop everything and watch Criminal.

Mentioned before was Jon Snow in the second episode of the new series, a very morally ambiguous story that will get you thinking.
    Also Sophie Okinedo is excellent in the first episode.

Think of the best bits of Line Of Duty, the interviews, and that's what Criminal is.
    You are dropped into a crime with no backstory, no explanation, and figure out what's going on.

Watched the first episode of the challenger disaster documentary and it’s very well done. The two worst phrases from the shuttle programme were “go at throttle up” for challenger and “UHF comm check” for Columbia. Hopefully the other three episodes are as good as the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just watched “The Devil all the time”. Great movie. Almost Tarintino in its feel. Great acting, great story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Watching second season of 60 days in. Undercover prison documentary. Absolutely riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

joeguevara wrote: »
    Watching second season of 60 days in. Undercover prison documentary. Absolutely riveting.

The constant replaying of segments, due to airing on US tv I assume, annoys me in that show. Otherwise well worth a watch.

A Cure for Wellness
    Dispatched to retrieve his company's CEO from a remote European wellness spa, a naive underling discovers the alpine retreat's terrifying secrets

Fukrey Boyzzz Season 1
    A troublemaking trio dreams big, plays hard and stirs up all sorts of classroom mischief in this animated spinoff of the popular Hindi film franchise.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

cml387 wrote: »
    Stop everything and watch Criminal.

Mentioned before was Jon Snow in the second episode of the new series, a very morally ambiguous story that will get you thinking.
    Also Sophie Okinedo is excellent in the first episode.

Think of the best bits of Line Of Duty, the interviews, and that's what Criminal is.
    You are dropped into a crime with no backstory, no explanation, and figure out what's going on.

Could'nt agree more.The second season was excellent.

Kit Harrington GOT typecasting was well and truly a thing of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Just finished succession (not on Netflix ) and need something new? Anything must see in the drama realm ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cyrus wrote: »
    Just finished succession (not on Netflix ) and need something new? Anything must see in the drama realm ?

You watched Borgen? I'm enjoying season 1 a lot more than I thought I would as I don't usually like political drama all that much (found house of cards a slog even at its best) but have found it really enjoyable. Its more episodic than I expected too, there's over arching stories but it's mostly the characters dealing with the issue of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've also started warching S1 of Borgen and heavily recommend it.

And I just finished Breaking Bad, having not watched it before. For the 2 people who haven't watched it, it deserves every bit of praise it received and it's never too late to start. It really is one of, if not THE, best TV programmes ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

And I just finished Breaking Bad, having not watched it before. For the 2 people who haven't watched it, it deserves every bit of praise it received and it's never too late to start. It really is one of, if not THE, best TV programmes ever.

I've tried BB twice but didn't even make it to the end of the pilot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Damien360 wrote: »
    Just watched “The Devil all the time”. Great movie. Almost Tarintino in its feel. Great acting, great story.

Really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just started Camp Cretaceous.
    The fact the have the excellent Jurassic Park soundtrack is a huge plus

Borgen ? I’m watching the challenger documentary but might give this a look.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Devil All The Time is one of the upper-tier Netflix films; a great cast whos deliver solid performances, a strong narrative with multiple threads weaving together, with a Coens-esque feel to it.

Finished the challenger documentary and Larry Mulloy is still as dislikable as any other time I’ve read or seen anything by him. He’d make the same decision today that he made in late January 1986 that led to the deaths of seven astronauts. Is it any wonder Columbia happened when this was the mentality in NASA. Larry mulloy didn’t lick that attitude off the VAB ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have just finished series one of criminal.
    It's really excellent imo.

Are the foreign language episodes worth a watch or should I just go to second series of UK series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fysh wrote: »
    The Devil All The Time is one of the upper-tier Netflix films; a great cast whos deliver solid performances, a strong narrative with multiple threads weaving together, with a Coens-esque feel to it.

I got half way through it, Coenesque my arse, its a pile of clichéd ****e like most Netflix content these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just started Camp Cretaceous.
    The fact the have the excellent Jurassic Park soundtrack is a huge plus

I enjoyed that. As for my earlier comment about it likely not having deaths and all, having subtitles on and seeing a dinosaur approaching a man followed by the subs showing "Crunching sound" proves that wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Another vote here for The Devil All The Time, although I can get why others didn't like it.

It's a slow burner, bit like a season of Ozark, it builds the story slowly and ends with a finale. I thought Pattinson in particular was excellent in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I started “Staged”. Filmed during lockdown, a comedy where David Tennant and Michael Sheen rehearse a play they were supposed to be in pre COVID over Zoom. Very funny so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

gmisk wrote: »
    I have just finished series one of criminal.
    It's really excellent imo.

Are the foreign language episodes worth a watch or should I just go to second series of UK series?

Do both,second season is very good.Ditto the various foreign language versions.

Some Japanese movies added - High & low and lots of sequels and spin offs

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Watching Staged and enjoying it so far. Tennant and Sheen work really well together. Nice and easy 6 20 minute episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,746 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

peteeeed wrote: »
    Some Japanese movies added - High & low and lots of sequels and spin offs

Just to note this is resolutely not the Kurosawa classic High and Low :(

• Advertisement

Just to note this is resolutely not the Kurosawa classic High and Low :(

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thought the Duchess was pretty good. Binge watched the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Johnny English strikes again is very funny. It’s my favorite one out of the franchise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then Bigfoot was a good watch, better than the name suggests. Good turns from Sam Elliot and Aidan Turner, and a story that somehow manages to encompass the events described in the title while having more nuance and character focus than you'd be expect. It reminded me a bit of Bubba Hotep, but might actually be a bit better than it.

A Love Song for Latasha
    The killing of Latasha Harlins became a flashpoint for the 1992 LA uprising. This documentary evocatively explores the 15-year-old's life and dreams.

Added

inside no.9 has been removed , i would hope we will see it back soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Operation Odessa is worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Fysh wrote: »

Watched it last night, great film.

Jack Whitehall: Travels with My Father season 4
    Jovial comic Jack Whitehall and his stuffy father, Michael, take unusual and amusing trips to foreign lands in an attempt to strengthen their bond.

Kiss the Ground
    Science experts and celebrity activists unpack the ways in which the earth's soil may be the key to combating climate change and preserving the planet.

Mighty Express season 1
    Catch a ride with the Mighty Express -- a team of trains and their kid friends who overcome trouble on the tracks with quick thinking and teamwork!

The Playbook season 1
    Coaches with championship résumés share their personal rules for success in sports and life in this reflective and inspiring documentary series.

added

Coming in October
    N=Netflix original

October 1st
    Addams Family Values (1993) – Beloved 90s family comedy sequel which sees the Addams family contend with Uncle Fester’s new gold-digging wife.
    A Moving Image (2016) – Small independent drama movie about an artist returning to her home that has been gentrified.
    All Because of You (2020) N – Asian action comedy.
    Banana (Limited Series) – Channel 4 limited series by Russell T. Davis.
    Beyond the Mat (1999) – Sports documentary on WWE looking at the day-to-day lives of wrestlers.
    Carmen Sandiego (Season 3) N – Animated series about the globe-trotting master thief Carmen Sandiego.
    Corpse Bride (2005) – Tim Burton’s animated
    Dennis the Menace (1993) – Family comedy from the early 90s based on the Beano cartoon.
    Dolphin Tale 2 (2014) – A family drama about a team that hopes to find a companion to their dolphin friend. Stars Morgan Freeman.
    Familiar Wife (Season 1) – Korean drama fantasy series about a man waking up to a different reality.
    Generation Revolution (2016) – Documentary on black activists changing the social landscape in London.
    Gone Too Far (2013) – British comedy.
    Good Morning, Verônica (Season 1) N – Spanish-language crime-thriller.
    Into the Storm (2014) – Natural disaster drama starring Richard Armitage.
    Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) – Fourth installment of the found-footage horror franchise.
    Pose (Season 2) – The hit US FX series with producer Ryan Murphy.
    Kangaroo Jack (2003) – Comedy starring two childhood friends and a kangaroo
    The Conjuring (2013) – Horror from James Wan based on the terrifying tales of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren.
    The Last Tree (2019) – Small independent drama about a teenager moving to London.
    The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005) – Romantic comedy from Ken Kwapis about four best friends hoping to stay connected with each other.
    The Three Musketeers (2011) – A modern-day remake of the classic tale that didn’t score great reviews.
    The Ugly Truth (2009) – Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl feature in this rom-com from over a decade ago.
    Tucked (2018) – Drama about an aging drag queen.

October 2nd
    A Go! Go! Cory Carson Halloween (Limited Series) N – Animated Halloween special
    Dick Johnson Is Dead! (2020) N – Documentary drama centered around Kristen Johnson preparing her father, Dick Johnson, for the end of his life.
    Emily in Paris (Season 1) N – Fish out of water comedy starring Lily Collins as Emily, an American midwest girl who moves to Paris for an exciting job opportunity but cultures soon clash.

Oloture (2019) – A journalist goes undercover in the prostitiuion trade.
    Serious Men (2020) N – Indian comedy movie.
    Song Exploder (Volume 1) N – Based on the podcast, this new docu-series deconstructs some of your favorite songs.
    The Binding (2020) N – Italian demonic horror for Halloween
    You’ve Got This / Ahi te Encargo (2020) N – Romantic drama.

October 5th
    Line of Duty (Season 5) – Police procedural drama about the AC-12, a controversial police anti-corruption unit.

October 6th
    Starbeam: Halloween Hero (2020) N – Kids Halloween animated special

October 7th
    Hubie Halloween (2020) N – Adam Sandler’s latest Original comedy takes a stab at Halloween.

October 9th
    Deaf U (Season 1) N – Docuseries told through the eyes of deaf students who attend Washington D.C. private college for the deaf and hard of hearing.
    The Haunting of Bly Manor (Season 1) N – Horror anthology starring Victoria Pedretti. Mike Flanagan’s adaptation of Turn of the Screw.
    The 40-Year-Old Version (2020) N – Sundance Award-winning comedy from Radha Blank.

October 10th
    Start-Up (Season 1) N – Weekly rom-com K-Drama series.

October 11th
    Dr. Suess’ The Grinch (2018) – Illumination Studios brings this modern-day animated update to the classic Dr. Suess book.

Overlord (2018) – J.J. Abrams produced horror where a group of American soldiers finds some horrific Nazi experiments.

October 14th
    BLACKPINK: Light Up the Sky (2020) N – Behind the scenes documentary on K-Pop group Blackpink.

October 15th
    Brave Blue World: Racing to Solve Our Water Crisis (2019) – Documentary that looks into new innovations to help solve the water crisis. Narrated by Jaden Smith.
    Tattoo Fixers (Season 5) – The Channel 4 reality series where we follow Tattoo artists cleaning up some right old messes.

October 16th
    Grand Army (Season 1) N – Coming-of-Age drama centered around five different students who attend a busy public Brooklyn High School, as they struggle to navigate love, sex, and life.
    La Révolution (Season 1) N – French drama based on an alternate take on the French Revolution.

Star Trek: Discovery (Season 3) N – New episodes weekly – the next season of Star Trek Discovery where the crew of the USS Discovery head 930 years into the future.
    The Da Vinci Code (2006) – Ron Howards’ excellent mystery thriller starring Tom Hanks.
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020) N – Historical drama directed by Aaron Sorkin based on the real-life controversial trial of the Chicago 7.

October 18th
    Nobody’s Fool (2018) – Tyler Perry comedy.

October 19th
    Unsolved Mysteries (Volume 2) N – Docuseries chronicling some of the weirdest and most controversial unsolved crimes and paranormal events.

October 21st
    Rebecca (2020) N – Chilling romantic drama starring Lily James and Armie Hammer.

October 22nd
    Cadaver (2020) N – Norwegian horror

October 23rd
    Over the Moon (2020) N – Family animated adventure about a young Chinese girl who builds her own rocket ship to the moon in search of the goddess that lives there.

The Queen’s Gambit (Limited series) N – Anya Taylor-Joy stars as Beth Harmon, a talented but compulsive chess player who struggles with her drug addiction.

Netflix UK October TBD Releases
    Mank (2020) N – David Fincher’s biographical drama about Herman J. Mankiewicz, co-writer of Citizen Kane.
    The One (Season 1) N – Sci-Fi drama based on John Marrs’s novel of the same name.
    Tiny Pretty Things (Season 1) N – Drama centered around a group of aspiring students of an elite ballet academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Delighted Line of Duty season 5 is being added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Finished Schitts Creek last night.

Overall a great show, mild humour at times but quality maintained throughout. Many belly laughs too.

Some superb comedic acting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

NIMAN wrote: »
    Finished Schitts Creek last night.

Overall a great show, mild humour at times but quality maintained throughout. Many belly laughs too.

Some superb comedic acting too.

I thought this was quite sweet...

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/1247930496715128837?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1247930496715128837%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Ftv-and-radio%2F2020%2Fsep%2F21%2Fschitts-creek-the-five-things-that-make-it-such-perfect-emmy-award-winning-tv

Ah what, I thought we'd get a second season at least. Season 1 was one of the best shows they've done in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

Good to get a date for season 3 of Star Trek Discovery. But when is Netflix (or Amazon) going to bring us The Lower Decks?

• Advertisement
Advertisement