Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

keane2097 wrote: »
    Mad Men is nowhere near the level of The Wire but then again nothing is.

They are such different shows. The Wire has a documentary feel to it. Fortunately, David Simon is such a brilliant story teller, his characters escape from some of his more didactic tendencies, especially Bubbles.

I'd happily settle for anything approaching the standard of either show. All suggestions welcome. I enjoyed Ozark which was suggested here.

Caranica wrote: »
    I gave it 7 episodes this weekend but I just don't enjoy misogyny. Wouldn't normally give something that many episodes but it's just over half the season. Does it get any better?

Not really. Misogyny, racism, smoking and excessive drinking are baked into the show. However, the characters do pay for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I gave it 7 episodes this weekend but I just don't enjoy misogyny. Wouldn't normally give something that many episodes but it's just over half the season. Does it get any better?

I'd suggest you skip planet of the apes also. the male apes seem to be very much the dominant force throughout over the female apes. Its horrifying.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'd suggest you skip planet of the apes also. the male apes seem to be very much the dominant force throughout over the female apes. Its horrifying.

I've had a look and aside from calling things gay and "absolute scutter", you don't seem to have contributed much in the way of actual recommendations to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Patton Oswalt: I Love Everything
    Turning 50. Finding love again. Buying a house. Experiencing existential dread at Denny's. Life comes at Patton Oswalt fast in this stand-up special

Sweet Magnolias
    Lifelong friends Maddie, Helen and Dana Sue lift each other up as they juggle relationships, family and careers in the small, Southern town of Serenity.

2036 Origin Unknown
    Working with an artificial intelligence to investigate the failure of a deadly Mars landing, a mission controller makes an astonishing discovery

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It doesn't change much (well first 2 seasons don't). I can see why people enjoy it, it's very well made, and the cast are excellent but I got bored with it and gave up midway through 2nd season.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

We got towards the end of the first season maybe but the hype and rave reviews never matched our expectations. It looks good alright, but that was about it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Watched Giri/Haji over the last week. Started pretty decent, but was a total mess by the end. I have never seen characters in a show make such consistently baffling decisions. No consistency at all from them.

Definite thumbs down from me.

I also watched over the week end and found it okay but there were a lot of plot holes and stretched credibility at times, some comments below.
    The woman detective working in the same office with the same people after putting her ex away didn't make sense. Living in the same house as before and why did she drive such an old car she'd be on about 40k a year. Who put the snake in the letterbox and brick through her window? Considering her ex was killed she didn't seem that bothered, all in all that was a really busy day for her. pub,hospital,bed, roof top.

The gay lad was a complete stereotype and cartoon character, unnecessarily over the top, the programme wouldn't have suffered if he was written out. There might have been some saving grace but using the scene on the beach as an example he just wasn't funny.

Same for the gangster 'Billy Kimber,' from Peaky Blinders who lacked the gravitas for his position.

The annoying daughter 16 years old effortlessly found the money and hopped on a plane to London.

I thought Donna's character was good and she was bumped off too soon.

The women were easily tracked to their hideout in the wilderness and once there effectively turned around and came back, I've no idea what the English cop's motivation was at the end and as nobody died what was the point of crashing the car.

That weird dance sequence on the roof apart from the lack of security allowing them up there seemed a bit self indulgent and didn't really add to the experience.

I know sometimes you have to suspend belief and go along for the ride but sometimes more often than not it's just impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Really haven't thought much of any of the trailers for Space Force yet. Hopefully it will deliver, but expectations are low.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Really haven't thought much of any of the trailers for Space Force yet. Hopefully it will deliver, but expectations are low.

Is this maybe another one of those things where you can't really poke fun at something because the reality is already 10 times more ridiculous than anything fictional could come up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Space Force seems like a 3 minute SNL sketch that they're trying to get a full season of television out of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, would need to see some episodes; Greg Daniels knows how to build characters worth watching, so the trailer might be leaning too hard into the yucks at the expense of the quieter moments.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Trailers for Space Force haven’t been wowing me either..

.. though did notice the late great Fred Willard in the cast list! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Basq wrote: »
    New season of The Umbrella Academy out July 31st.

Watched the first season recently and thought it was good fun.. meandered a bit in the middle but good fun throughout!

I really enjoyed it too.
    Along similar ish lines (More grounded) I would recommend "deadly class"....it's not on Netflix though...and unfortunately cancelled after one season :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, Umbrella Academy was great.

Really slick.

Not sure if it can sustain a second season? They're outside the realms of the graphic novel now, are they?

Always tricky when shows get to that point. But I'll definitely be tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yeah, Umbrella Academy was great.

Really slick.

Not sure if it can sustain a second season? They're outside the realms of the graphic novel now, are they?

Always tricky when shows get to that point. But I'll definitely be tuning in.

If memory serves Season 1 combined elements from the first two volumes of the graphic novels, when it was released a third had been released already and they were working on the fourth so there could be enough material for a second season right there

That being said the show deviates massively from the novels in a lot of ways and only uses the rough elements of the plots so even without material if it kept the same tone as season 1 they could easily drum up a good plot so I'd be hopeful either way

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Must say I thought the last dance was fantastic, up there with the best documentaries on Netflix.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Eye see you m must be one of the best movies on Netflix m. If your a fan of Stallone, then this movie is liquid gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Just started watching the mini series "Unbelievable " based on a true story , getting better after every episode , thumbs up do far.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Just started watching the mini series "Unbelievable " based on a true story , getting better after every episode , thumbs up do far.

Yes, excellent series, great cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I thought Umbrella Academy was brilliant.

Number 5 looks about ten years older in that ad. I wonder if it will affect the second season. The way he looked like a kid but convincingly came across like an old man worked really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

I absolutely loved this series. My husband not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's fantastic but not an easy watch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics

I liked
    Sting's taking Peyote and helping his neighbour with calving, then coming to realise the meaning of life
    at the start. But then
    Sarah Silverman and a lot of other D-list celebrities started talking like idiots about drug driving and I got really pissed-off because it sounded like a load of glorified sociopathic crap when they described getting behind the wheel on drugs. Absolute morons. It continues in that vein for some time.

Carrie Fisher was quite interesting though. She had quite a bad addiction, more than likely to cope with her sudden levels of fame.

So in short, it's not terrible but not great. It glorifies the crass fakeness and celebrity while only touching briefly on the potentially good uses of hallucinogens. The popcorn we made is savage though, popped it in toasted sesame oil and added loads of butter oregano, paprika and a tiny bit of fenugreek. And I've a can that's been teasing me from the fridge for ages. I find it always tastes better if you've wanted it for about three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Eye see you m must be one of the best movies on Netflix m. If your a fan of Stallone, then this movie is liquid gold.

Am I right in thinking that this was originally released in cinemas as D-Tox?

I'm enjoying S5 of She-Ra. Only watched 4 eps so far but it's certainty burning through plot early on, not dragging out any of the resolutions from S4's ending.

I ended up binging this in one night. I think it was the best season by far. Lots of payoff from previous season's set ups, some really great set pieces, and some of the character arcs are better than anything I've seen in live action shows. The ending felt like it was earned too. I really enjoyed the show as a whole and it's probably one of my favourite things I've watched on Netflix.

And yes, I know, an animated show with Princesses in the title isn't going to be for everyone but if you've been watching it I think you'll be very happy with S5 and if you haven't been watching it, it's never too late to try something new ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that this was originally released in cinemas as D-Tox?

Yes! That's it... knew it looked familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Ben Platt Live from Radio City Music Hall
    Backed by a full band and a ready wit, actor Ben Platt opens up a very personal songbook onstage --numbers from his debut LP, "Sing to Me Instead."

Blood & Water season 1
    After crossing paths at a party, a Cape Town teen sets out to prove whether a private-school swimming star is her sister who was abducted at birth.

Mutiny of the Worker Bees
    When Omar's grandfather forces him to get a job at a tech company in Mexico City, he meets a quirky ensemble of nine-to-fivers ... and some nemeses.

The Queen and the Conqueror Season 1
    Years after Spanish conquistador Pedro de Heredia betrayed her people and broke her heart, indigenous woman Catalina reenters his life to get revenge.

Especial 20 años Fútbol de Primera
    Revisit the emotional bouts and memorable highlights from the past two decades in this special celebrating esteemed TV show "Fútbol de Primera.

Added

• Advertisement

It doesn't change much (well first 2 seasons don't). I can see why people enjoy it, it's very well made, and the cast are excellent but I got bored with it and gave up midway through 2nd season.

This may be a generational thing. Mad Men is full of awkward, shameful moments (so much so, I hit pause on occasion) and Don Draper is a damaged man who cannot express sexual love in a healthy way. When he debates the significance of sex with his ex-wife in bed in S6 E9, Betty says this of Megan and him: "That poor girl. She doesn't know that loving you is the worst way to get to you." Then she adds sarcastically, "Are you sure you just don't want to hold me?", and the answer is, of course, a resounding, and tacit, no. It's sad, funny, brilliant all at once.

Regarding Netflix, I'm open to suggestions - that's why I'm here. A show has to have good writing and acting. The only deal breakers for me are zombies and time travel unless something really interesting is done with them. Otherwise, I just feel sorry for the zombies - what responsibility do they have for their sad plight? Man, it's like a Marxist critique of capitalism or have I had too much completely legal Canadian weed at this point?

Advertisement