Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

fin12 wrote: »
    White lines is pretty good. The actor who plays Boxer is gorgeous.

I watched three episodes of it the other day and gave up. Had potential but ended up being pretty rubbish and OTT.
    The scene that made me say enough is enough was then the DJ got tied to a set of speakers as a form of torture. Also thought it was ridiculous how in the firs episode, the main character (the sister) shoots your man boxer in the leg as he is trying to kill someone, and then in the next episode he is giving her his car keys and letting her stay in his house!

Maybe grand as something to have on in the background but I felt it was like watching a soap set in Ibiza.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

peteeeed wrote: »
    happy monday ?

Yeah, I think so.

Plenty of other offs I've missed too. Drag off, sing off, juggle/sing/tell jokes off, choc off, wrestle off, pretend special forces off, desert island off, clothes off.

Sponsored by Brawndo.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, I think so.

Plenty of other offs I've missed too. Drag off, sing off, juggle/sing/tell jokes off, choc off, wrestle off, pretend special forces off, desert island off, clothes off.

Sponsored by Brawndo.

I hope Face/Off is the exception to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ermmmm..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Basq wrote: »

The forward slash is not optional :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,635 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I watched 3 episodes and I have to say I think its awful ,
    It had potential but its so stupid some things make little sense at all ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Haven't watched any of White Lines but I'm surprised at the negative reaction in here, as it's from the same creator of Money Heist (La Casa Del Papel) I was expecting it to be good - I'm assuming this isn't the case which is a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Haven't watched any of White Lines but I'm surprised at the negative reaction in here, as it's from the same creator of Money Heist (La Casa Del Papel) I was expecting it to be good - I'm assuming this isn't the case which is a pity

It's a bit silly. A lot of things don't really make sense. It's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Pretty much the worse, cliched, annoying, mundane dross that I've watched in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

White Lines is ****.I stuck it out until the 5th episode, I was giving it every chance because who is involved making it.

The plot is all over the place with some atrocious acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,217 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, I think so.

Sponsored by Brawndo.

Speaking as an artist, the annoying thing about them is focusing on the drama and not the actual technique. It's annoying to see a really good bodypaitning and think, "oh, that looks nice - look forward to seeing how that was done!" only to see the first ten seconds, the last ten seconds and about ten seconds in the middle.
    Mickeroo wrote: »

Face/off is the Travolta/Cage movie :)

(Sorry... taking pedantic hat off now....!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

yabadabado wrote: »
    White Lines is ****.I stuck it out until the 5th episode, I was giving it every chance because who is involved making it.

The plot is all over the place with some atrocious acting.

You did well, I didnt get to the end of the first episode.

Face/off is the Travolta/Cage movie :)

(Sorry... taking pedantic hat off now....!)

I know :o <Insert "that's the joke" meme here>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Obviously I’m in the minority as I enjoyed white Lines. I’m thinking (hoping) there will be a season 2 based on how it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Obviously I’m in the minority as I enjoyed white Lines. I’m thinking (hoping) there will be a season 2 based on how it ended.

Oh it sounds so ****e it’s right up my street! Gonna start it today!

Rfrip wrote: »
    Oh it sounds so ****e it’s right up my street! Gonna start it today!

Haha.even if I don’t like it Boxer is gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I watched three episodes of it the other day and gave up. Had potential but ended up being pretty rubbish and OTT.
    The scene that made me say enough is enough was then the DJ got tied to a set of speakers as a form of torture. Also thought it was ridiculous how in the firs episode, the main character (the sister) shoots your man boxer in the leg as he is trying to kill someone, and then in the next episode he is giving her his car keys and letting her stay in his house!

Maybe grand as something to have on in the background but I felt it was like watching a soap set in Ibiza.

I was the same. Watched about an episode and a half and thought it was brutal. The wife continued so I had a half an eye on it at times. Complete over the top garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New season of The Umbrella Academy out July 31st.

Watched the first season recently and thought it was good fun.. meandered a bit in the middle but good fun throughout!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Basq wrote: »
    New season of The Umbrella Academy out July 31st.

Watched the first season recently and thought it was good fun.. meandered a bit in the middle but good fun throughout!

Best news I've heard all week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

peteeeed wrote: »
    The last dance the final 2 episodes

added
    I don’t want to start this because I don’t want it to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

If Boxer wasn't in it, would you enjoy it? You seem to have ignored the shambolic storyline, shabby acting and cringe worthy representation of dance culture that forms the backbone of this series. You have been blinded by lust. The only thing it really has going for it is that it is beautifully shot in parts.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    If Boxer wasn't in it, would you enjoy it? You seem to have ignored the shambolic storyline, shabby acting and cringe worthy representation of dance culture that forms the backbone of this series. You have been blinded by lust. The only thing it really has going for it is that it is beautifully shot in parts.

No I liked the story between boxer and Zoe. I watch a lot of soap and tv drama series so based on that it would be something I like. I also thought the character Marcus was pretty funny. I wouldn’t just say I liked it cause someone good looking is in it, that’s just a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I'm watching Mad Men again before it disappears from Netflix and the subtitles are on to clear up stuff I missed before. What exquisite acting and writing. Why do I identify so much with the wretched Pete Campbell? Back in those days, a relative of mine bought an E-type Jaguar he could certainly not afford and was always complaining how unreliable it was - thus I had to laugh when Lane tried to kill himself in such a vehicle and the bloody thing wouldn't start. One mystery solved this time: Peggy Olson explains in a phone call that while her father was Norwegian and Lutheran, her mother was Irish and Catholic, hence a Norwegian Catholic. Her snobby Swedish roomie says they won't mention the fact that she's Norwegian, a little bit of Scandinavian animosity there. So many wonderful details.

I have a few minor quibbles about, say, the peculiarly generic French from France and not very Montreal accents of the Calvets, esp. the mother. Even Jessica Paré, the native Montrealer who plays Don's second wife Megan (Megan?), doesn't sound local. Montreal is not far from New York - these are odd artistic decisions to make. Did Weiner unconsciously choose the name Calvet, very rare in Quebec, because of his own state Maryland's founder Calvert? Some of the British stuff is strange too. I can forgive Lane for talking American but not his chums in London, and who in Britain could afford to buy an American ad agency in the early Sixties? They barely had enough to keep the heat on.

Anyway, Mad Men is a magnificent achievement, up there with the Sopranos, the Wire and Breaking Bad for me. Ozark showed the same ambition. I'm basically looking for a solid fifty or so hour movie about 'real life', more or less. Zombies etc. need not apply. So if you spot anything near that on Netflix, please give me a shout.

I gave it 7 episodes this weekend but I just don't enjoy misogyny. Wouldn't normally give something that many episodes but it's just over half the season. Does it get any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It made me so mad watching it at first!
    But stick with it, it’s definitely worth it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Caranica wrote: »
    I gave it 7 episodes this weekend but I just don't enjoy misogyny.
    You're definitely not meant to enjoy with the misogyny. It's a reflection of its time sure but you'll find a big part of some character arcs is fighting against that - the show is very much aware of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Underneath all the prestige trappings and social critique, I always thought the sexism and dated social values was kinda the point of Mad Men. The show was about a nostalgia for a different, possibly imaginary era when men behaved a certain way, which I think really appeals to some cohorts of Gen X. The show can't help but glorify Don Draper the same way The Sopranos couldn't help but glorify Tony Soprano's murderous behaviour.

It's great a show, though like The Sopranos it went on a bit too long and I'm not sure the ending works.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mad Men is nowhere near the level of The Wire but then again nothing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Interesting ^^

You're not the first to notice this error - https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a21720/mad-men-french-canadians/

Is it leaving Netflix?? And yes, it's an all time classic!

Any Quebecer would notice it immediately. When French Canadians say 'this' and 'that' it sounds like dis and dat rather than zeess and zat and it's in a twangy sing-song accent all its own even before they start into French. It would be akin to a Newfoundlander appearing called Montague St. John Stevas who spoke like somebody from Yes Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Watched Giri/Haji over the last week. Started pretty decent, but was a total mess by the end. I have never seen characters in a show make such consistently baffling decisions. No consistency at all from them.

Definite thumbs down from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Underneath all the prestige trappings and social critique, I always thought the sexism and dated social values was kinda the point of Mad Men. The show was about a nostalgia for a different, possibly imaginary era when men behaved a certain way, which I think really appeals to some cohorts of Gen X. The show can't help but glorify Don Draper the same way The Sopranos couldn't help but glorify Tony Soprano's murderous behaviour.

It's great a show, though like The Sopranos it went on a bit too long and I'm not sure the ending works.

I wonder what the people who actually came up with the Coke ad must have thought? Peggy's speech on the phone to Don was awful. Too many loose ends were hurriedly tided up.

Advertisement