Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

bruschi wrote: »
    off the very top of my head:
    Diarmuid Connolly AI semi final v Donegal
    Michael Murphy V Cavan
    Eoin Cadogan v Armagh
    Graham Canty v someone I cant remember
    Lee Keegan v Kerry
    Some Meath footballer recently too.
    Westmeath minor Israel Ulungu

and I know there is a heap more I cant remember right now

I know they are mostly football, but its rare enough to have red cards in hurling. The JonJo Farrell decision was absolutely baffling at the time. But there is no conspiracy. Its ridiculous that it is even thought of.

No it is not. Brian Cody described Kelly's decision as criminal (which t was) and would never have resorted to the use of such words if he was not deeply angry. That the same ref did it in two All Ireland finals is way too much to to accept anything other than bias.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

No it is not. Brian Cody described Kelly's decision as criminal (which t was) and would never have resorted to the use of such words if he was not deeply angry. That the same ref did it in two All Ireland finals is way too much to to accept anything other than bias.

so you think there is an all out conspiracy with all refs which is why the red cards have been rescinded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Farrell's red card was clearly a mistake, and a poor call by the ref.....but that happens.

If it was a case of the ref being part of some conspiracy to send off Kilkenny players, then he had plenty of opportunities to do it other than the Farrell incident. I'm not saying that other players got away with what should have been red cards, but if it was the refs intention to send of a player, there were other incidents that were much closer to strikes than the Farrell incident.

It was poor judgement in a fast pace game.....it was a just appeal, and the correct decision has been made.

so you think there is an all out conspiracy with all refs which is why the red cards have been rescinded?

Nope, Just Barry Kelly.

Nope, Just Barry Kelly.

Well that had nothing to do with what you quoted me on.

Even if it is still ridiculous to think Barry Kelly has a conspiracy to be against Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

The problem is not re red cards as far as I am concerned. I have a problem with Kelly's generally biased refereeing going back many years now.

I know it's probably too difficult to show this now but an analysis of games that he has reffed would show a wide disparity in the frees awarded by Barry Kelly against KK compared to those awarded to KK. There was some discussion and figures for this in games in more recent years on another site that showed very very significant discrepancies.

In my opinion Kelly has shown clear bias against KK on several occasions going back more than 10 years. I attended the great majority of these games and the bias is unmistakeable. This has been commented on for a long time now on other sites where KK hurling was discussed. I have no doubt but that the bias will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

off the very top of my head:
    Diarmuid Connolly AI semi final v Donegal
    Michael Murphy V Cavan
    Eoin Cadogan v Armagh
    Graham Canty v someone I cant remember
    Lee Keegan v Kerry
    Some Meath footballer recently too.
    Westmeath minor Israel Ulungu

and I know there is a heap more I cant remember right now

I know they are mostly football, but its rare enough to have red cards in hurling. The JonJo Farrell decision was absolutely baffling at the time. But there is no conspiracy. Its ridiculous that it is even thought of.

I am talking about hurling, why don't you start listing off Rugby and soccer red cards while you are at it!

I am talking about hurling, why don't you start listing off Rugby and soccer red cards while you are at it!

well if that is the sort of contribution you want to bring forward, then at least I know I wont have to discuss it any further.

well if that is the sort of contribution you want to bring forward, then at least I know I wont have to discuss it any further.

You have lost me? This is a Kilkenny Hurling Thread, the relevance of sendings off in football to the current discussion baffles me!

The current discussion revolved around the appeal of red cards, and apparently how kilkenny are the only county to do it. Football is quite relevant, it's the same organization, and the same discipline/appeal process.

• Advertisement

The current discussion revolved around the appeal of red cards, and apparently how kilkenny are the only county to do it. Football is quite relevant, it's the same organization, and the same discipline/appeal process.

Different referees , different rules, different sport. Completely irrelevant to the discussion on whether HURLING referees and targeting Kilkenny HURLERS!

Well that is complete nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

Does Barry Kelly have a thing 'agin' KK conscious or unconscious I would have to say he has. Do others out there , well lets just say I'd rather Barry reffing us than a Tipp ref.

That being said, this thread is going to go into melt down if you keep feeding the few trolls from other counties on here.

As a topic of discussion, as a KK man, I already know this as does many other KK folk out there. And pretty much all of us agree. The only folks that don't or pretend not too, are the trolls.

Therefore please ignore any further comments on this well discussed and agreed point and lets move on.

Team for Sunday please? Did John Joe get off, with the red, and if not who's taking his place ?

mercury16 wrote: »
    Does Barry Kelly have a thing 'agin' KK conscious or unconscious I would have to say he has. Do others out there , well lets just say I'd rather Barry reffing us than a Tipp ref.

That being said, this thread is going to go into melt down if you keep feeding the few trolls from other counties on here.

As a topic of discussion, as a KK man, I already know this as does many other KK folk out there. And pretty much all of us agree. The only folks that don't or pretend not too, are the trolls.

Therefore please ignore any further comments on this well discussed and agreed point and lets move on.

Team for Sunday please? Did John Joe get off, with the red, and if not who's taking his place ?

Maybe you shouldn't ignore too many comments.....this whole discussion started because of the news of Farrell's appeal being won.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Farrell is available for Sunday. I'd presume we'll see something similar to previous two outings tbh. I'd still like to see Keith Hogan and Kevin Kelly on the field.

Anyone know what the craic is with Tyrell doing that TV show? Does he have to go over to Miami during the season or miss training or anything? Or is it all filmed at this stage or what? I heard the baseball player was over playing in goals for the Village against Ballyragget recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone know what the craic is with Tyrell doing that TV show? Does he have to go over to Miami during the season or miss training or anything? Or is it all filmed at this stage or what? I heard the baseball player was over playing in goals for the Village against Ballyragget recently.

According to his Twitter, he was in the US last week playing baseball. And he's definitely back in Ireland now because he got a new Opel Insignia a few hours ago! :pac:

Farrell is available for Sunday. I'd presume we'll see something similar to previous two outings tbh. I'd still like to see Keith Hogan and Kevin Kelly on the field.

As far as i know Tyrells' contribution was shot over the last couple of weeks and he is available for Sunday. Would imagine John Power will start on Sunday more than likely for Geoff Brennan with Richie Hogan moving to midfield. Interesting to see if Keogh and Kennedy are given a shot at redemption, both were poor the last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Whatever happened to taking your punishment?

Cody and co are beginning to look like bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Go on, I'll bite.

How are they bullies?

You only take your punishment if you did something wrong. Being punished for nothing is the definition of being bullied. Farrell was in the right. That's why he won the appeal, in case you missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Must try harder:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Team for Sunday please?

Team will be announced (as always) tonight ca 9 pm.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/anthony-cunningham-kilkenny-complacent-in-defeat-to-dublin-316409.html

Cunningham sounding very bullish about this match. Personally I find when managers take this tack with Kilkenny it's inviting a backlash. His comments enthusing about his favourite referee are grist to the mill for Cody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

*some* of the Kilkenny paranoia over Barry Kelly is absolutely mental. Not going to games, not going to All Ireland finals :rolleyes:, pre empting mistakes and going to games waiting on him to make a mistake so they can crow "he is out to do us". A lot of counties have hang ups on referees (Galway and John Denton, Wexford and MacSuibhne, etc) but this thing with Kelly is beyond anything I have ever seen before.

This is it, if you go in thinking your going to get done you'll always find away to convince yourself you were right. I was at the Leinster final last year, and there was a lad that went mental after about 5 minutes, first 50/50 call going against Kilkenny. I'd say it wasn't a hard game to ref but I certainly didn't see any questionable bias that day.

But then you make this point as an impartial observer, and suddenly you get labelled as a conspirator against Kilkenny too. There is no conspiracy, the incidents involved are high profile enough that everybody outside of Kilkenny has seen them too, is it not telling that people that wouldn't let their emotions cloud their judgement think the idea of a conspiracy is ridiculous?

If you think he's a poor ref then that's fair enough, entitled to your opinion. But the anti-Kilkenny notion is pure nonsense.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/anthony-cunningham-kilkenny-complacent-in-defeat-to-dublin-316409.html

Cunningham sounding very bullish about this match. Personally I find when managers take this tack with Kilkenny it's inviting a backlash. His comments enthusing about his favourite referee are grist to the mill for Cody.

To be fair to him now, he was obviously asked about the appointment and saying he is an experienced referee and basically playing down the fire the media are trying to fan is about as objective as you can be.

But then you make this point as an impartial observer, and suddenly you get labelled as a conspirator against Kilkenny too. T

on here you get labelled a TROLL. For actually thinking that there is no conspiracy to a) Barry Kelly, and b) to referees sending off Kilkenny players. So be it, at least you know where you stand with *some* here (and I want to emphasise that, as a lot of the usual or most prominent posters on here are not at all saying anything of the like).

If what Barry Kelly did to Kikenny in 2012 and 2014 in All Ireland finals had been done to Waterford or Wexford instead, you can be absolutely certain Bruschi and Mountain Lad would be singing a very different song on their own respective boards..

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

But then you make this point as an impartial observer, and suddenly you get labelled as a conspirator against Kilkenny too. There is no conspiracy, the incidents involved are high profile enough that everybody outside of Kilkenny has seen them too, is it not telling that people that wouldn't let their emotions cloud their judgement think the idea of a conspiracy is ridiculous?

If you think he's a poor ref then that's fair enough, entitled to your opinion. But the anti-Kilkenny notion is pure nonsense.

A Waterford person lecturing Kilkenny people about hurling. Thats a bit rich :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If what Barry Kelly did to Kikenny in 2012 and 2014 in All Ireland finals had been done to Waterford or Wexford instead, you can be absolutely certain Bruschi and Mountain Lad would be singing a very different song on their own respective boards..

If a decision I felt was wrong went against my team I'd be annoyed, for sure. I wouldn't forget, but I'd move on especially if we ended up winning anyway. I've seen enough decisions go against Waterford, and I can think of two off the top of my head against Limerick in the Munster final and Wexford in 2007 where the opposition got square ball goals but we won in the end anyway. I can't even remember who referee'd the games, which tells you all you need to know.

Every team bar none has big decisions go against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

If a decision I felt was wrong went against my team I'd be annoyed, for sure. I wouldn't forget, but I'd move on especially if we ended up winning anyway. I've seen enough decisions go against Waterford, and I can think of two off the top of my head against Limerick in the Munster final and Wexford in 2007 where the opposition got square ball goals but we won in the end anyway. I can't even remember who referee'd the games, which tells you all you need to know.

Every team bar none has big decisions go against them.

Ah but there is the crux Kilkenny didn't win any of these matches. Go talk to any tipp man about 09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Cunningham's comments may be grist to the mill but that does not get over the fact that the KK team is massively depleted and Galway will justifiably be strong favourites. I would be amazed if we won and Galway would be in a seriously bad place if they lost at home to a second-string KK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement