Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you failed to get to a life boat on the Titanic?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Stovepipe wrote: »
    None of those who went into the water and were not subsequently picked up by a lifeboat or a ship survived. Not one. Immersion meant death and WW 1 and 2 forced the Admiralties and Marine authorities world over to pay attention to casualty rates among sailors and passengers and to make improvements to survival equipment such as fitting lights and whistles to life preservers,equipping ships with sufficient boats, putting survival rations into boats, improving training for crew,forcing companies to standardise on kit and training and making maritime safety law. Look up the Carley Float. It was a primitive lifeboat but it saved thousands.

Sir , i respectfully admire your post.
    But ya know your first sentence where you said none of those who went into the water and weren't picked up survived, is that not blindingly obvious, unless they managed to swim to Canada.

Your last sentence, im trying to be serious now , i love my military history particularly WW1 ,Carley floats were responsible for thousands of deaths by exposure due to way they were made , you might have a chance if your ship sank in the Mediterranean, not fcukin hope in the Atlantic.

Finally, if i was on the Titanic, id make sure Monica Lewinsky was with me , so at least the Titanic wouldn't be the only thing to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭FR85

I'd take a bath....and by take a bath I'd pull one out of one of the posh cabins along with the plug of course, line it with a duvet and be on my way. I dead reckon keeping the plug in would be an issue and yer man Archimedes may have a few opinions on that one but I think it's a solid plan.

FR85 wrote: »
    I'd take a bath....and by take a bath I'd pull one out of one of the posh cabins along with the plug of course, line it with a duvet and be on my way. I dead reckon keeping the plug in would be an issue and yer man Archimedes may have a few opinions on that one but I think it's a solid plan.

If you put the plug in from underneath you should be fine.

If you put the plug in from underneath you should be fine.

Genius! You can be in my bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

FR85 wrote: »
    Genius! You can be in my bath.

if you could find an outboard motor

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    if you could find an outboard motor

Bound to be a spare going a begging.

Not as stable as I thought it would have been, also just thought there, they'd have been big and heavy iron baths in state rooms so 1, how would I move it and 2, would it float with me in it given it'd be heavy enough already?
    Looks like I'm gone, save yourselves

• Often thought about this and what I've realised would be the best thing to do is wrap yourself in a ton of blankets and duvets and fabrics and clothes etc. and then simply jump overboard. The blankets will keep you warm and also prevent you from sinking. You can continue calling out repeatedly until someone aboard a lifeboat decides to take pity on you and give you a seat.

Ah jaysus lol. Maybe go on a water safety course for your own sake and that of your offspring. "Here kids, cover yourself in blankets and jump. Will be grand and toasty"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

But ya know your first sentence where you said none of those who went into the water and weren't picked up survived, is that not blindingly obvious, unless they managed to swim to Canada.

They didnt survive immersion and even when people were picked up by lifeboats at the scene, they died soon after as the terminal effects of hypothermia took hold. The people most likely to survive were those who boarded the boats when they were still on their davits. They started out dry and stayed that way. As for the Carley Float, while it was inadequate, it was free-floating (essentially unsinkable) and more importantly, it was stored on the ships as a float-off raft so that it required little or no action to get it off a sinking vessel. Lowering a boat from davits is slow and requires training and lifeboats were often fouled by the launch angle or by the rigging as a ship sank. Carley floats often floated off the ship and survived the tumult of the sinking, whereas lifeboats were often holed by debris or dragged down. So,it was either an inadequate float or no floating device at all. Even to this day, float off rafts are still used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Private Jet!

Stovepipe wrote: »

They didnt survive immersion and even when people were picked up by lifeboats at the scene, they died soon after as the terminal effects of hypothermia took hold. The people most likely to survive were those who boarded the boats when they were still on their davits. They started out dry and stayed that way. As for the Carley Float, while it was inadequate, it was free-floating (essentially unsinkable) and more importantly, it was stored on the ships as a float-off raft so that it required little or no action to get it off a sinking vessel. Lowering a boat from davits is slow and requires training and lifeboats were often fouled by the launch angle or by the rigging as a ship sank. Carley floats often floated off the ship and survived the tumult of the sinking, whereas lifeboats were often holed by debris or dragged down. So,it was either an inadequate float or no floating device at all. Even to this day, float off rafts are still used.

If they got the bloke who designed the
    Carley Float to build the Titanic we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

If you find a couple of tea chests in the hold. Or maybe one of those old luggage chests. Then go to the kitchen and grab as many waterproof containers/bottles you can find. Plug them and place in the chests and then lash them together. You then should be good to go. Make sure you launch before things get too hectic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

arctictree wrote: »
    If you find a couple of tea chests in the hold. Or maybe one of those old luggage chests. Then go to the kitchen and grab as many waterproof containers/bottles you can find. Plug them and place in the chests and then lash them together. You then should be good to go. Make sure you launch before things get too hectic.

You would need a set of deck plans on hand and be prepared to bash open several locked doors and lug all this crap up several flights of stairs.
    It's a liner, not a fecking cabin cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

They probably had some massive cooking pots in the kitchen. You could take a big woodn spoon for an oar or a big windy egg whisk for a propellor. Grab some grub a nice pot of tea, steal a warm fur coat from Kathy Bates cabin and float away happy as Larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

I would have thought a hastily cobbled together piled of wood would be sufficient in a pinch. Basically the ultimate game of the floor is lava. If you touch the water essentially you're dead even if you climb out. Maybe a few doors lashed together like a sandwich would be enough. Realistically though if you knew it was going down its basically a question of jumping into a boat as its been lowered. Chances are you'd get some tuts, but they prob wouldn't throw you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

In the chaos id start to murder as many as i could then dump the bodies in a sauna. The heat, warm enough, would produce formation of gas within the body making it expand and float like a balloon. Hence id float away on my corpse raft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Rawr

magick wrote: »
    In the chaos id start to murder as many as i could then dump the bodies in a sauna. The heat, warm enough, would produce formation of gas within the body making it expand and float like a balloon. Hence id float away on my corpse raft

They had a Turkish Baths on board, so doable...although only for the first few minutes of the sinking, since those were below decks and near the front. Both perverse and funny the image of you murdering people and shipping them around the place without being stopped by the crew;

Crewman: Ey up there mate! What's going on here then? What's that you're carrying?!

magick (carrying corpse): Emm....spare life....belts?

Crewman: Aright, fair enough. Carry on....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Rawr wrote: »
    They had a Turkish Baths on board, so doable...although only for the first few minutes of the sinking, since those were below decks and near the front. Both perverse and funny the image of you murdering people and shipping them around the place without being stopped by the crew;

Crewman: Ey up there mate! What's going on here then? What's that you're carrying?!

magick (carrying corpse): Emm....spare life....belts?

Crewman: Aright, fair enough. Carry on....
    Joking aside. The best thing to do would be to try and build a raft. What's the point in hanging on to a deck chair while you're wet in the water? You'd be dead in 20 minutes just like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Joking aside. The best thing to do would be to try and build a raft. What's the point in hanging on to a deck chair while you're wet in the water? You'd be dead in 20 minutes just like everyone else.

You would have to row far away from the ship. otherwise it would be awful watching and listening to everyone roaring for help in the freezing water. People would try to get into your raft, and if they get in and it cant hold more than one of you, what are you going to do? push them back out?:( nightmare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

pgj2015 wrote: »
    People would try to get into your raft..
    Into? It wouldn't be that sophisticated. They might try and get onto it though. Hearing screaming would be the least of my worries.

You see if I launched the raft from the bow of the ship, where the water came up slowly, there'd be no one in that area. People weren't in the water at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,646 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The people on the Titanic had over two and a half hours, 82 years later the people on the MS Estonia were less luckier with only twenty minutes to spare. From the accounts of survivors, people only realised the danger when the ship keeled to a 30 degree list on the Starboard side, within 10 minutes it was at a 45 degree angle making it impossible for anyone to escape from inside the ship. 850 people went down with that ship in 1994. This is a good read by the Atlantic magazine recounting the MS Estonia story. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/05/a-sea-story/302940/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
Advertisement