Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Game Platform
    Astro's Playroom PS5
    Spiderman PS4
    Hitman 2 PS4
    Assassin's Creed Valhalla PS5
    Days Gone PS5
    Final Fantasy VII Remake PS5

Days Gone - Great game just far too long. First third of the map could have been cut out completely. Too many annoying wife missions, I was wishing she was dead before long

FFVII Remake - Horrible padded out dungeon design mars an otherwise brilliant game. Incredible level of detail and the action cutscenes are great. Combat system is good but can be frustrating with lots of enemies interrupting you. Don't like the changes they seem to be hinting at in the story. Roche sucked as did all the other new bosses

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

#|Game|Platform
    1| Resident Evil 3| PlayStation 4|
    2| Resident Evil 4| PlayStation 4|
    3| Yakuza Kiwami| PlayStation 4|
    4| Yakuza Kiwami 2| PlayStation 4|
    5| Endless Fable 3: Dark Moor| PlayStation 4|
    6| Cube Escape: The Lake| Android|
    7| The Secret Order 7: Shadow Breach| PlayStation 4
    8| A Plague Tale: Innocence| PlayStation 4|
    9| Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime| PlayStation 4|
    10| Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love| PlayStation 4|
    11| Anodyne| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    12| Dandara| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    13| Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    14| Dead Space 2| PlayStation 3|
    15| Dead Space 3| PlayStation 3|
    16| Medievil| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    17| Broken Age| PlayStation 4|
    18| Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 (Campaign only)| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    19| Unmechanical Extended| PlayStation 4|
    20| Marvels Avengers| PlayStation 4 (PS Now)|
    21| Far Cry 3| PlayStation 3|
    22| Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon| PlayStation 3|
    23| In Rays of the Light| PlayStation 4|
    24| Yoku's Island Express| PlayStation 4

Yoku's Island Express

I had never heard of this game before until someone else mentioned it in a thread on here and it sounded good. Basically it's a pinball metroidvania game. It sounds like it shouldn't work but it really does. Although not overly challenging, getting around the world is great fun, the game looks great and the gameplay is fun. You need o traverse the world getting power-ups, defeating bosses, solving puzzles etc. It's definitely a unique and fun game.

the only think that annoyed me is that one bronze trophy glitched on me which prevented me getting the platinum trophy, I wasn't willing to play another 3 hours to pick it up. Otherwise it was a very enjoyable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2|Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3| Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4| Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5| FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6| AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7|Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8|Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9| State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10| Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5
    13| Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14| Dex | Switch
    15| Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16| Resident evil 8: Village | PS5
    17| Outriders | Xbox Series X
    18 | Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    19| Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)
    20| Dead Space | Xbox Series X(X360 gamepass)
    21| Disco Elysium Director's cut | PS5

Disco Elysium Directors cut

This game was easily one of the best RPGs I have played in years.

Little to no combat in it but all about dialogue choices you make, your Perks are thoughts and your personality traits in your mind battle it out to make you pass skill checks to do certain activities.

If it sounds nuts that because it is, it is an absolute work of genius, the only minor criticism is that the lore is quite deep and the worldbuilding is good but I feel like to understand some of the nuance to it I would need an education in political science to fully grasp it. But I can see why it got 10/10 I felt even luckier to play the directors cut with all voice acting added in over 7 million lines allegedly.

Now to decide whether to crack on with mass effect 2 LE or start yakuza 2 kiwami

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Watch_Dogs 2
    PLATFORM: PlayStation 4

Continuing where I left off two years ago. Managed to beat it this afternoon, before needing to go back and start from the beginning to get all the collectibles (they glitched out on me during my playthrough and had to start again if I wanted to get all the trophies).

Got my platinum there now.

Even though this game is pretty much the same as the first one from a gameplay perspective, I found it -- somehow -- much more enjoyable than the original game. This was one of few games I played through where I was having so much fun I hadn't realised I got to the last mission until it literally told me "This is the last mission, do you want to continue?".

Not sure when I'll get Watch Dogs Legion - I was hoping to get it for the PS5 if I ever got the system, alas, I don't, so I don't know if I'll wait it out, or play it on PS4(?).

This is, like, my 7th platinum this year, I think. I haven't managed to do that in all the years I've played games that have achievements attached. I didn't even get my first platinum on PlayStation until 2016. Now I have 17.

Happy out :D

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|BLUE TEXT = PLATINUM TROPHY
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC|41|HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE|XBOX ONE

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC|42|WATCH_DOGS|PS4

3|GRIS|PS4|23|STREET FIGHTER 3: 2ND IMPACT|PC|43|WATCH_DOGS 2|PS4

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|24|STREET FIGHTER 3: 3RD STRIKE|PC

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|25|SHANK|PC

6|KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KING OF FIGHTERS '95|PS4|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KING OF FIGHTERS '96|PS4|28|HALF-LIFE 2|PC

9|KING OF FIGHTERS '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|29|LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2|XBOX ONE

10|KING OF FIGHTERS '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|30|WARRIORS OF FATE|SWITCH

11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|31|JAK & DAXTER|PS3

12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|32|LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA|PC

13|STREET FIGHTER|PC|33|GUITAR HERO III|XBOX 360

14|STREET FIGHTER 2: THE WORLD WARRIOR|PC|34|GUITAR HERO: METALLICA|XBOX 360

15|STREET FIGHTER 2: CHAMPION EDITION|PC|35|GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR|XBOX 360

16|STREET FIGHTER 2: HYPER FIGHTING|PC|36|DAYS GONE|PS4

17|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: THE NEW CHALLENGERS|PC|37|CONCRETE GENIE|PS4

18|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO|PC|38|MASS EFFECT (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

19|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA|PC|39|MASS EFFECT 2 (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC|40|MASS EFFECT 3 (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I loved all the Watch dogs and 2 was a great game. I played it twice on PC and then Xbox and I loved using the gadgets and going to the vents to get collectibles.

Watch Dogs Legion is good as well I thought not as good as 2 though. The new spider bot is great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Megaman X2|SNES|Live a Live|SNES
    Streets of Rage 4|PC|Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    Sekiro|PC|DuckTales|NES
    Megaman 7|SNES|Drakengard 3|PS3
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4||
    Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC||
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC||
    Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4||
    Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC||
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||
    God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3||
    Resident Evil Village|PC||

Drakengard 3

Beaten all Branches and the DLC.

I really did not enjoy this one. It's a Yoko Taro game and the worst of his that I've played. This is also my first Drakengard game I've finished.

Th biggest problem with this game is that it's so repetitive and monotonous. The combat is very one note and never changes up. It's all just button mashing with very little difference. Levels are pretty much corridors with enemies and you'll be seeing a lot of the same areas since they are reused for side missions and are reused in the different branch endings.

It's a Yoko Taro game so you find yourself playing for the writing. There's some very funny moments in the script and it's interesting how open it is about sexuality but it never comes close to the Nier games. It also makes a lot of fourth wall breaking commentary about videogames but it's annoyingly one of those games that comments on bad game design while making you experience that bad game design. Zero always comments about how much she hates platforming bits while you struggle with controls not built for platforming. There's even a bit deep into the last branch where someone jokingly says that they've found Zero's weakness, repetition, after you've slogged through 30 hours of it.

The game also has horrendous technical issues. It's an Unreal game on PS3 and Unreal never ran well on that system. The game barely ever hits the 30 FPS mark, instead jumping wildly between 20FPS and single digits with horrendous screen tearing. It's a technical mess.

However my biggest annoyance is the final boss. It looks stunning and the game then turns into a very difficult rhythm action game. Not so bad except at the end when the screen fades to black there's two extra notes you have to hit with no visual or aural cue. Miss one note and it's back to the start of a 10 minute one hit KO rhythm game. It's complete bull****.

If there is one stand out area it's the soundtrack which while not as good as the Nier games is still gorgeous. The final boss track however is a real standout and an absolutely stunning piece of music.

DLC has you playing as Zeros sisters and finding out a bit more back story to them. It doesn't add a whole lot and the combat is reuses enemies and levels. Each one does at least have a new boss battle which are usually not bad but you can safely give them a miss.... just like the main game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sekiro|PC|DuckTales|NES
    Megaman 8|PS1|Double Dragon|NES
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||

Double Dragon

Always hear a lot of negativity about this game. People compare it a lot to the Arcade game which had 2 players or the superior NES sequel which is a better game and also allowed two players. Taken on it's own I think this still holds up.

Got the urge to play this after watching the excellent 'U can Beat Video Game' video on it. The NES version loses the 2 player mode of the arcade but expands on the arcade game, adding new areas and gameplay. There's a levelling system which doesn't quite work as you are forced to use weaker attacks until you unlock the best moves. The better moves give very little to no experience.

I've been very negative so far but it's actually a great little beat'em up which I had a lot of fun with. It's been scaled back a lot from the arcade game but it's also been rebalanced to make it a much fairer game. There's a surprising amount of strategy in how you approach the game. You've got to balance damage with exp growth and the variety of enemies need to be approached in unique ways.

It's a pretty short game but quite the challenge as you've only 3 lives to beat the game with. However with a bit of focus it's perfectly beatable ina few afternoons.

A NES classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    PLATFORM: Xbox One

I had this on my to-do list since it launched. I loved The Blind Forest so I was naturally expecting more of the same here. A solid metroidvania that's up there as one of the best in recent years, complemented by a beautiful art style that looks absolutely stunning in 4K with HDR.

The story continues immediately where the first game left off so if you're gonna jump into this series you're best starting off from the first game. They both play the same pretty much.

This game left me an emotional state at the end, that's all I'll say. This is one of few metroidvanias where the story is just as good as its gameplay. It's f*cking heartbreaking.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|BLUE TEXT = PLATINUM TROPHY
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|21|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3|PC|41|HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE|XBOX ONE

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|22|STREET FIGHTER 3: NEW GENERATION|PC|42|WATCH_DOGS|PS4

3|GRIS|PS4|23|STREET FIGHTER 3: 2ND IMPACT|PC|43|WATCH_DOGS 2|PS4

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|24|STREET FIGHTER 3: 3RD STRIKE|PC|44|ORI AND THE WILL OF THE WISPS|XBOX ONE

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|25|SHANK|PC

6|KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KING OF FIGHTERS '95|PS4|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KING OF FIGHTERS '96|PS4|28|HALF-LIFE 2|PC

9|KING OF FIGHTERS '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|29|LITTLE NIGHTMARES 2|XBOX ONE

10|KING OF FIGHTERS '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|30|WARRIORS OF FATE|SWITCH

11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|31|JAK & DAXTER|PS3

12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|32|LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA|PC

13|STREET FIGHTER|PC|33|GUITAR HERO III|XBOX 360

14|STREET FIGHTER 2: THE WORLD WARRIOR|PC|34|GUITAR HERO: METALLICA|XBOX 360

15|STREET FIGHTER 2: CHAMPION EDITION|PC|35|GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR|XBOX 360

16|STREET FIGHTER 2: HYPER FIGHTING|PC|36|DAYS GONE|PS4

17|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2: THE NEW CHALLENGERS|PC|37|CONCRETE GENIE|PS4

18|SUPER STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO|PC|38|MASS EFFECT (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

19|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA|PC|39|MASS EFFECT 2 (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

20|STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2|PC|40|MASS EFFECT 3 (LEGENDARY EDITION)|PS4

Sekiro|PC|DuckTales|NES
    Megaman X3|SNES|Secret of Mana|SNES
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||

Secret of Mana

I've always wanted to play and beat this game. I saw it first in a Gamesmaster magazine walkthrough and it looked and sounded incredible. As a Megadrive owner though I was boned. I read gushing reviews of it and did get around to playing it through emulation but never stuck with it.

So I've finally stuck with it and beaten it and..... It's not great. There's a lot of nostalgia around Secret of Mana but the consensus recently has turned to it being deeply flawed and I have to agree with that sentiment.

The main issue is that the game is incredible rushed. Famously SoM was meant to be a showcase for the Nintendo Playstation CD system but when that went south it had to be converted to Cartridge. The opening of the game is great and shows what the developers were going for. The map is huge, open and expansive. You can approach some objectives in different ways and the story seems interesting. That quickly goes out the window.

The majority of the game is a linear slog from macguffin to macguffin. There's obvious areas where whole dungeons were cut out. Bosses start to follow directly after each other in an effort to get through them all. And the narrative gets less interesting and makes less and less sense. A lot of the blame is levelled at Ted Woolsey's localisation but I played a fan translation and there's just as little plot in the english version as the japanese one. The english translation is very accurate.

There's a raft of gameplay issues. The game is very buggy, uncommonly so for a console game of the time. Characters will become stuck in walls forcing either a reset or to use an item called the escape rope which seems to be in the inventory to deal with bugs. The charge and attack combat works quite well initially but becomes a slog coming near the end of the game where you need to attack enemies with very high level charged attacks to even hit them. It's infuriating to charge an attack for ages and have the attack whiff, the enemy dodge it or have the a lucky hit reset the gauge. Magic is pretty broken as well. It's insanely overpowered against most bosses and there is a bug that allows you to chain magic so you can defeat enemies without them even attack. It's quite an easy bug to learn even if you are playing the game casually. I heard horror stories about people grinding magic and how necessary it is but that's nonsense, I didn't grind and just used magic a bit during the course of play and was never in any trouble with underpowered magic. This game also manages to rival Shin Megami Tensei IV for the worst overworld map ever (but like SMT4, it has incredible music).

I've been very negative here but it's not all bad. I did enjoy my time with the game but found that enjoyment lessened the further I got. It's an astoundingly pretty game in places. The soundtrack is a real stand out and one of the best on the SNES. It's just not the classic it's been made out to be. I think a lot of that is due to nostalgia for the game. I know I would have adored it if I had it and a SNES in the 90s. But also since it's release we have had the Falcom action RPGs finally come to the west. Falcom's output such as Brandish, Ys, Zwei and Xanadu Next are so much better than Secret of Mana and really are the barometer that all action RPGs should be held to.

Sekiro|PC|DuckTales|NES
    Megaman & Bass|SNES|Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions|Android
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

I'd beaten the PS1 game back in the day but never did any of the sidequest activities. I decided to give the android port a go and take my time with it. It's the same as the PSP game but with slightly updated sprites. I beat the game after finishing all the side quests including the bastard hard midlight's deep area.

What can I say here. The game is an absolute classic. It's the best interpretation of the FF job system. It's just so much fun to build up your party and create your own classes. It's a very easy game to break but half of the fun is finding neat ways to break it. And it's kind of encouraged because this game is tough! I still had trouble with some of the more infamous battles in this game.

The story is brilliant. Basically a fantasy take on War of the Roses just like Game of Thrones but I'd argue FF Tactics is far superior. It's a great tale of a civil war and a corrupt church trying to gain power in the background. I also love how it's a second person story all about how the winner writes the history books. It's the best narrative of any of the FF games by a large margin. The character of Ovelia left a big impression on me and she was a great personification of the manipulation and abuse of the downtrodden by the elites to meet their own ends.

The story can be quick complicated with dozens of important characters. You will find yourself doing a lot of errands and random battles before returning to the story and then finding it hard to pick up where you left off. Thankfully there's a glossary that can give you a summary of events when you inevitably get side tracked.

The soundtrack is worth mentioning, along with Vagrant Story I feel it's Hitoshi Sakamoto's strongest work.

Is FF Tactics the best Final Fantasy game? I believe so. Nothing really comes close. Is it the best game ever made? I'll just say there's a really good argument that it is. It really is that good.

The Android port is pretty good but has some flaws. The game is really well suited to touchscreen controls. There are issues with save files. First, there's no quick saving or mid mission saving, which is kind of a sin for mobile devices. Also your save is tied to your phone with no cloud saving. You'll have to root the phone to get at the save file and even at that it seems like an ordeal to back it up. Not great considering this is an 80 hour game at least.

• Advertisement

Sekiro|PC|DuckTales|NES
    Megaman & Bass|SNES|Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions|Android
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4|Halo 5: Guardians|XBox One
    Mischief Makers|N64||
    Virtua Racing|Switch||
    Crysis Remaster|PC||

Halo 5: Guardians

Meh, the universal sound of indifference perfectly sums this game up. It's taken me a long time to get through this game because I just didn't care for it.

Halo has really lost its way since Bungie left. Halo 4 was so forgettable I can't remember any of it and Halo 5, while improved, is still a long way from reclaiming its former crown.

The game tries its best. I have to give the team credit for aiming for 60 FPS. The game feels and handles sop much better than previous Halo games of console and feels an awful lot better than the Sony 30 FPS exclusives. It's a decent looking game as well even if the levels you visit aren't very interesting. It's not perfect though, there's a few points in the campaign when the game froze for a good second or two.

The Halo combat is still fun and fighting covenant is great. The promethean robot thingies on the other hand are more annoying and their weapons boring. However Guardians just doesn't have the set pieces that the series is known for. Encounters all feel the same and nothing stands out. There's a few points in the game where it slows things down and these are just awful. I see what they are trying to do, flesh out the world and lore, but nobody is interested in Halo lore anymore and they are just boring exercises of looking for the next scripted trigger to get through them.

Which brings me to the story. Boring old ****e about the return of some ancient evil. You play as the master chief who now might be evil and a team sent to stop the master chief. And Master Chief has a hard on for cortana and is looking for her. It's all nonsense, the two opposing teams never pays off and everyone fawning over the master chief gets old quick when he is such a bland character. The writing is naff, there's plenty of that poundland Josh Whedon banter that stinks up modern games like Horizon Zero Dawn.

The Halo combat is still fun and I really think Halo would work well in an open world. The ending does keep things open to go in interesting directions so I'm hoping Halo Infinity is the kick up the arse the series needs because Guardians is severely lacking in the magic that made the Bungie games so entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Having picked up a few games in the last eshop sale and noticing how ridiculous the backlog situation has got, I've decided to take action. Spent the last couple of weeks finishing up some of the many games I'd started and had dropped for something shiny.

Control - PS4
    Super Mario 3D Word - Switch
    Firewatch - Switch
    Thronebreaker - Switch
    Blasphemous Switch
    Monster Hunter Rise - Switch

Control
    Really enjoyed this. Played the Ultimate version on PS5 and it looks and runs great. Loved the X-Files-like story and games gets super fun once you get some decent powers unlocked. Must get back and try the DLC at some stage.

Super Mario 3D Word
    Having not owned a Wii U I'm lucky to be getting the opportunity to play these gems I missed out on. This is probably up there as one of my favourite Mario games. Didn't 100% for stars or anything but definitely one I'll be going back to for some chill star hunting. Haven't tried Bowsers Fury yet but I've heard good things.

Firewatch
    Picked this up on the recent eshop sale. Had always meant to check it out and its perfect to chip through on handheld. Really enjoyed it and its a unique experience. On paper it doesn't sound like all that much but the narrative is great and the way the story unfolds is done really well. Nice short game too which is refreshing when your looking at 40hrs plus to complete some other games.

Thronebreaker - The Witcher Tales
    Been chipping away on this for a good while. I really enjoyed Gwent in Witcher 3 and I'm a big fan of the Witcher universe. It's a completely different form of Gwent that in the main game, not sure how similar it is to the standalone Gwent game but I really enjoyed it. The story is fantastic and narration is done brilliantly. Some good cameo's and nice little details that you wouldn't appreciate unless you were familiar with the books but thoroughly enjoyable even if your not. It's a big game too, I think I was up on 50hrs on completion, and can be picked up cheap enough (it's on Game Pass too).

Blasphemous
    Another one I had decent progress on and dropped for something shiny. Picked it up the other day and before I knew it I had 10hrs played over a couple of days. Fantastic metroidvania, really cool dark artstyle and some challenging bosses. Definitely one of my favourite in the genre.

Monster Hunter Rise
    I know you can't really finish a MH game but I've about 90hrs put into this and all the village quests finished a good while ago. Need to get to HR 100 still to fight the new monsters in the last update but I don't want to rush it or I'll lose interest once there isn't another update on the horizon. I've played World and MHGU but got into both late in the day and never got as far as the end game stuff. Rise is my first MH game I've played since day 1 and there's a lot to be said for getting in on these when the excitement is there and there's a lot of folks online to help when missions get hard. Love the mobility the wirebug gives and all the QoL improvements over the likes of MHGU. After playing World I kind of preferred the older style MH and Rise offers the best of both style of MH games.

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    11|Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12| Crash 4 | PS5
    14| Dex | Switch
    22 | Mass Effect 2 : Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X

Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition

Rolled credits on this a few nights ago, enjoyed every minute of it have the DLC to mop up but,
    all my team survived so delighted

A lot better than ME1 and a lot less clunky the loyalty missions still hold up, got a lot of nostalgia playing this as I played it just after finishing my leaving cert, Crazy how time flies.

Look forward to starting ME3 , currently between ruiner, Zelda one dungeon left and halfway through Returnal which is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4

A plague tale innocence - Xbox one

Fifa 20 - Xbox one

Hotshot racing - Xbox one

Mafia - PS4

Resident evil 3 - PS4

The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one

Hitman 2 - PS4

What remains of Edith Finch - Xbox onee

Beyond 2 souls - PS4

Ion Fury - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Control - PS4

Super Mario 3D Word - Switch

Firewatch - Switch

Thronebreaker - Switch

Blasphemous Switch

Monster Hunter Rise - Switch

Doki Doki Literature Club+

Doki Doki Literature Club+

Picked up Doki Doki out of curiosity and its definitely a different experience. I've never really played graphic novel type games but its nice and short and kept me hooked til the end. Not sure what else to say about that one really

Well it seems boards has buggered up lists:

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    8. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4
    9. Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC
    10. Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    12. Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC
    13. Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4
    14. Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    16. Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC
    17. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    19. God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3
    20. Resident Evil Village|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    22. Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    27. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions|Android
    28. Halo 5: Guardians|XBox One
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC

Air Combat

It's a lot more basic than Ace Combat 7 but I really enjoyed playing this. A good fun short piece of action. As a PS1 launch window game, it's pretty great. The flight model is good for its time but of course would be built upon later. Graphics have dated but for it's time this would have been stunning. One issue is that flat ground isn't textured so can lead to accidents while flying close to ground level. The game's biggest issue is the mission variety but then again that's judging the game against its sequels. If I had gotten this around the PS1 launch I'd be very happy with it and it's fun to see how this series started.

Kamui

A doujin shoot'em up from japan from 1999. While it took a while for the western indie scene is become a thing, in japan homebrew games on PC was a big deal with some very high quality releases such as Kamui. I credit fed this one but it still counts!

Kamui is a doujin take on the Taito classic Layer Section. Both games use scaling and rotation effects to give a sense of depth despite being totally 2D and the effect in both cases is absolutely stunning. Kamui may even be better looking than Layer Section in many stages. You've got your normal shot but you also have a focused laser that can destroy most if not all projectiles. You also have a lock on attack that can lock on and destroy targets below the player. You'll constantly find yourself juggling focusing on what is on the same plane as your fighter but also what is below you.

Enemy encounters and bullet patterns are fantastic. The game is more patterned after Taito classics like Darius or Layer Section so never gets into Bullet Hell territory. I much prefer this style of game and aping Taito is no bad thing, IMO their games have some of the most complex and surprising attack patterns of the genre. The game also has an interesting score multiplier system if you want to take your game to the next level. You lock on weapon has a multiplier and destroyed enemies will sometimes sink before being destroyed which leaves them open for a final lock on attack.

You can pick up Kamui for pretty cheap along with its two excellent sequels on steam pretty cheaply in sales and it's a bit of a hidden gem on the platform.

#|GAME|PLATFORM

11|Astro's Playroom |PS5

12| Crash 4 | PS5

14| Dex | Switch

22 | Mass Effect 2 : Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X

23| Returnal | PS5

24 | Ruiner | Switch

Seems like the auld formatting is gone since the site revamp.

Returnal

Amazing game didn't really see the cries of difficulty until the last areas tbh, it can be a tad overwhelming at times and it does really depend on your build and guns but really really enjoyed it. The gameplay is the perfect mix of challenging and one more go. Excited for the future of this IP

Ruiner

Got this for a couple of euro on nintendo eshop played it now and again, not bad kinda like a blade runner-hotline miami mix, entertaining enough but not as good as hotline miami.

Currently playing Mass effect 3 to finish off the trilogy and started Mario v rabbids which is surprisingly excellent.

After this I think I will tackle Yakuza 2, 6 , Judgement and Yakuza 7 Like a dragon.

Excited to get to 7 as I have seen talk and footage on it and it looks bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Astro's Playroom PS5

Spiderman PS4

Hitman 2 PS4

Assassin's Creed Valhalla PS5

Days Gone PS5

Final Fantasy VII Remake PS5

Chicory: A Colorful Tale (PC)

Brilliant indie puzzle game where you paint in a world drained of colour. Similar to 2d Zelda games. They're aren't enemies in the world but there are dungeons with bosses. Also deals with issues like depression.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Resident Evil 3 - PlayStation 4
    2. Resident Evil 4 - PlayStation 4
    3. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4
    4. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PlayStation 4
    5. Endless Fable 3: Dark Moor - PlayStation 4
    6. Cube Escape: The Lake - Android
    7. The Secret Order 7: Shadow Breach - PlayStation 4
    8. A Plague Tale: Innocence - PlayStation 4
    9. Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime - PlayStation 4
    10. Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love - PlayStation 4
    11. Anodyne - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    12. Dandara - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    13. Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    14. Dead Space 2 - PlayStation 3
    15. Dead Space 3 - PlayStation 3
    16. Medievil - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    17. Broken Age - PlayStation 4
    18. Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 (Campaign only) - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    19. Unmechanical Extended - PlayStation 4
    20. Marvels Avengers - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    21. Far Cry 3 - PlayStation 3
    22. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - PlayStation 3
    23. In Rays of the Light - PlayStation 4
    24. Yoku's Island Express - PlayStation 4
    25. Borderlands 3 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    26. Streets of Rage 4 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)

Borderlands 3

More of the same really. Enjoyable game although I don't think the characters were as good in this entry. It's probably a little too long for this type of game too, with the side missions etc you are looking at a good 50hrs to finish it all. The only difficult parts were the Circle of Slaughter levels, the rest is fairly straightforward once you have decent weapons.

Streets of Rage 4

I'm not sure if this game is designed for multiple playthroughs, it seems as if it is with the various characters and trophy list, however one playthrough is definitely enough for me. It was a fun game but it's very simple and not overly challenging. I know it was a design choice but movement is very clunky. The music is very good and I liked the nods to other fighting games. I'm glad a I got this free with PS Now rather than paying for it.

As an aside, Boards have really done their best to make this website almost unusable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

✓ Dishonored (ps5)

◦ Days gone (ps5)

What remains of Edith finch(series x)

◦ Gears of war 1 

◦ Gears of war 2

◦ Gears of war 3 ( all series x)

◦ Evil within (ps5)

◦ Resident evil 7 

◦ Resident evil village (both ps5)

◦ Yakuza 0 

◦ Alan wake 

◦ Outriders ( all series x ) 

◦ Ratchet and clank rift apart 

◦ Ratchet and clank (2016)

W(both ps5)

◦ Uncharted golden abyss ( vita )

◦ Hitman 3

◦ Horizon zero dawn (both ps5) 

◦ Dishonored death of the outsider (series x)

Advertisement