Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Very jealous! by far the nicest looking Aero I've seen for sale. My old one looked like a crap box compared to that :D

You running original boards in it or do you have some multi game setup in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Under close inspection, it's definitely well used, but it's been cared for. Needs a bit of work here and there, but I just cleaned it up a bit! The monitor is a little soft, but I haven't been able to block off time to really dial it in and games still look amazing.

I've got a few original boards and a horizontal multi-game, but it's boosted by a MiSTer connected to a JPAC and small audio amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Anyone have one of these data east cabinets? On the lookout.

picture-d3eb-bad-dudes-arcade-cabinet.jpg

Put up a wanted ad in marketplace too. This style of cabinet came with the likes of midnight resistance, ghosbusters, sly spy, two crude dudes and others.

It's the curved marquee that sets it apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dav09

1623797796524.jpg
    1623797796405.jpg
    1623797796457.jpg

Bought another project recently and am currently working on getting it back working. Initial D4 is a great game, and seems to have only really been in a few arcades on trial/ location test mostly and never properly released here. Seems like there was only one here and a handful in the UK and never really worked out, I love when there's a bit of history left on the cabs of where they were, originated from, etc since they've changed hands I'm sure many times over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

dav09 wrote: »
    1623797796524.jpg
    1623797796405.jpg
    1623797796457.jpg

Bought another project recently and am currently working on getting it back working. Initial D4 is a great game, and seems to have only really been in a few arcades on trial/ location test mostly and never properly released here. Seems like there was only one here and a handful in the UK and never really worked out, I love when there's a bit of history left on the cabs of where they were, originated from, etc since they've changed hands I'm sure many times over the years.

Ahh, nice pickup!

They had one of these years ago in Atari Expo in the Square too.

Could very well be the same unit that Quirkey's ended up buying... who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

love the ID series , and have a cab at home running 1 - 3 (or holding a load of jackets for the most part :P) , soundtrack for 1 is the best although pure cheese :D and think playabilty wise its one of the best (this is from someone how loved sega rally and virtua racing in the arcades) I'm a total ebenezer head minding the cards though !!! :pac: would love a twin set up some day if space permits and have always like the lcd id cabs . have never got to play 4 though :( , my only grip with the series was a credit is used per round and even if you won you had to credit up again to proceed.

Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    my only grip with the series was a credit is used per round and even if you won you had to credit up again to proceed.

The scabby bastards!! :pac:

They had a dual Initial D cab setup in the arcade that was beside the cinema on Parnell Street. Played it the last time I was in there, must be a good 4 -5 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dav09

MrVestek wrote: »
    Could very well be the same unit that Quirkey's ended up buying... who knows!

Nice! They could have been, they weren't cheap back in the day I believe 8k for a twin from a price list I have, so could well have been shipped on to just down the road.

geotrig wrote: »
    love the ID series , and have a cab at home running 1 - 3 (or holding a load of jackets for the most part :P) , soundtrack for 1 is the best although pure cheese :D and think playabilty wise its one of the best (this is from someone how loved sega rally and virtua racing in the arcades) I'm a total ebenezer head minding the cards though !!! :pac: would love a twin set up some day if space permits and have always like the lcd id cabs . have never got to play 4 though :( , my only grip with the series was a credit is used per round and even if you won you had to credit up again to proceed.

Yeah I recently restored my Maximum Tune 3 and now working on this to put in Level Up, I hope no one gives out about the lack of cards as they're top dollar now to get! I've tried to get at least one card reader working on each twin cab as they're tricky to keep running, if people want to bring the cards themselves. ID4 is a great game really, the first of the next-gen graphics (as I believe 1-3 were Naomi) where as 4 is Lindbergh, it looks very good and yeah they're really nice for LCD cabinets. In theory all those Initial LCD cabinets 4-8 are the same with different graphics/ marquee so I'm tempted to try my Ringedge multi in it to see will it play 8.

My big issue at the minute is I've never seen a cabinet with a more destroyed FFB system, seems like every board and motor is gone from my testing for it I've never seen anything like it, I suppose it was only a matter of time with the hills and hairpins of tracks like Akina!

As for the music, the cheesy Eurobeat makes it, the latest Initial D Zero I really dislike simply because it has more of a pop-punk/ rock soundtrack which really ruins the feel for me. Hoping the new one out this year Initial D The Arcade fixes that.

Boom boom Japan!

IMzWDG2.png

Anybody on the lookout for any Genuine OSBF-30 Sanwa snap-in style buttons?

Ordered replacements for the ones that I had broken but got sent the wrong colour. Ordered them from Jammastar in France but they've no pink replacements, so got refunded and don't have to return the buttons. I have replacements on the way from ArcadeWorldUK so these are up for grabs to anyone that wants them.

All I ask it for a few quid to cover postage but they're free to anyone that wants them as they'll just be taking up space in my place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Are they 30's or 24's?

edit: Whoops I see they are 30's :) If you still have them I would grab them off you.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Are they 30's or 24's?

edit: Whoops I see they are 30's :) If you still have them I would grab them off you.

Yep, they're 30s. Feel free to DM me and we'll sort something out.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Are they 30's or 24's?

Enjoy the buttons! :-)

Random question for everyone:

How do you store your Arcade PCBs?

Here's mine, someone linked to these boxes a few years back ln ukvac I think and I picked up a bundle, fits almost all pcbs except a few huge boards that are on top, just in large antistatic pink bubble envelopes thingys inside and then more normal bubble wrap to stop them moving about. I had boxes made up for the mvs carts but when the collection grew I didn't have the space anymore so mostly just sitting there now
    IMG-20210620-005950.jpg

Here's mine, someone linked to these boxes a few years back ln ukvac I think and I picked up a bundle, fits almost all pcbs except a few huge boards that are on top, just in large antistatic pink bubble envelopes thingys inside and then more normal bubble wrap to stop them moving about. I had boxes made up for the mvs carts but when the collection grew I didn't have the space anymore so mostly just sitting there now
    IMG-20210620-005950.jpg

Nice! Are they still available? I only have a Tekken Tag PCB right now but considering the fact that I have an actual arcade mcahine now I can see the collection growing soon enough...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Enjoy the buttons! :-)

Thank you again, I have them swapped out on my pandora stick and the difference is incredible :)

Nice! Are they still available? I only have a Tekken Tag PCB right now but considering the fact that I have an actual arcade mcahine now I can see the collection growing soon enough...

There's some storage boxes on AliExpress for pcbs, just search pcb storage box and you should find plenty. I see Ali also do replica game sleeves and inserts for alot of the retro console too now.

That's some amount of neo Geo mvs :)

An old picture, but I used to make up boxes with the arcade flyers on the front, marquees on the spine. Bit of effort but looks nice I think

IMG-20200906-204929-3.jpg

My new artwork for the blast finally got here! Ideally would have enjoyed Tekken Tag artwork but couldn't find any anywhere... so settled for the next best thing: Street Fighter II.

I think it really makes the machine look the part. All I need to do now is wipe her down with some Magic Erasers and she'll be fully refurbished!

vWR13Fl.png

Gu4qug7.png

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I've never really noticed before but that Street Fighter 2 artwork goes really well with the Blast's colour scheme, nicely done.

Anybody here in need of a JPAC by any chance?

It was kindly donated to me by CathalDub but the USB port doesn't appear to work quite right.

I would assume, although I have no way of testing, that the PS/2 ports on it work fine.

The mini USB port might need to be fixed as, although it provides the board with power any machine it's connected to doesn't pick it up as a HID device.

I've already replaced it now so it's up for grabs for anyone that wants it.

It's free to whoever wants it, I can pop it in the post whenever.

Hey folks... I have a question.

I'm thinking of picking up a Sega Naomi or Naomi 2 system after pay day.

My Blast City currently has a JAMMA loom connected.

If I've read up on things correctly, Naomi boards use JVS right?

Could anybody point me in the right direction as to which kind of loom that I'd need in order to hook one of these up to the blast? Ideally I'd like it to tap the PSU too instead of needing its own.

I've googled around a bit but I can't seem to find the right answer. I'd appreciate the assistance folks, cheers!

Master of the Universe

Simplest solution would be to get a converter to go from JVS to Jamma.

Worth having a look into something like this:

http://jammastar.com/gb/jvs-to-jamma/48-jvs-to-jamma-converter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

Figure out which wiring you have in it 1st.
    iirc correctly blast carried 2-3 different versions,
    Model 2/3 wiring which you probably don't have !
    Jvs with jamma loom
    Standard Jamma wired

Jvs with jamma loom attached is the preferred option for naomi /jvs as its just detaching the loom and connecting up the naomi iirc

I don't remember if the power supply is any different in these setups but guessing not as i dont ever remember anything !

Jamma wired only and you need the capcom i/o or something like oisin linked to above. capcom ios are power hungry bastards but they all have their pros and cons !!

On Naomi's,look at the games that only run onNAOMI 2's as there are only a few and most are dedicated type games. so more than likely a naomi 1 will suffice and save you the expense of a naomi2

Depends on the loom in the blast, if you have a 001 loom (which is jvs/jamma) you'll just need an additional i/o board could be a capcom i/o mentioned above or a Sega i/o (cheaper and easier to find option) if you have some pics of the loom in the cab can tell you what it is you need. Also worth checking if the power supply in the blast has the 3.3v necessary for naomi as there are different types of power supplys in these cabs sometimes

Depends on the loom in the blast, if you have a 001 loom (which is jvs/jamma) you'll just need an additional i/o board could be a capcom i/o mentioned above or a Sega i/o (cheaper and easier to find option) if you have some pics of the loom in the cab can tell you what it is you need. Also worth checking if the power supply in the blast has the 3.3v necessary for naomi as there are different types of power supplys in these cabs sometimes

It's just a standard JAMMA loom with an addon connector to hack the VGA cable into the jamma loom. Nothing extra for JVS that I can see. I think the solution that Oisin posted above is the one I'll end up going for.

Also... OOPS MY FINGER SLIPPED!

Screenshot_2021-06-24_at_15.27.15.png

*edit*

I'm guessing that the Naomi board itself probably won't come with cables. Sorry for all the noob questions but... anybody know which cables I'd need to connect the JVS to JAMMA board to the Naomi? For power and suchlike.

I haven't used one of those before but I can't see from the picture where the USB from the naomi connects to it, also your still going to have to power the naomi so iam wondering if this board concerts the 5v from the jamma edge to the 3.3v for the naomi.. Eitherways this will probably work only for cart games and your power supply won't have enough juice for gdrom setup unless you pop a sun psu in there.. Capcom i/o is a great solution if you can find one with all the cables included.. No you won't get any cables with the motherboard

I haven't used one of those before but I can't see from the picture where the USB from the naomi connects to it, also your still going to have to power the naomi so iam wondering if this board concerts the 5v from the jamma edge to the 3.3v for the naomi.. Eitherways this will probably work only for cart games and your power supply won't have enough juice for gdrom setup unless you pop a sun psu in there.. Capcom i/o is a great solution if you can find one with all the cables included.. No you won't get any cables with the motherboard

The Blast City's PSU has enough juice to run a GDRom just fine according to various posts on UKVac and the likes.

The plan is to get a NetDimm though and use a Raspberry Pi to push game images over to it.

The JVS to JAMMA appears to supply the correct voltages etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

It's just a standard JAMMA loom with an addon connector to hack the VGA cable into the jamma loom. Nothing extra for JVS that I can see. I think the solution that Oisin posted above is the one I'll end up going for.

Also... OOPS MY FINGER SLIPPED!

Screenshot_2021-06-24_at_15.27.15.png

*edit*

I'm guessing that the Naomi board itself probably won't come with cables. Sorry for all the noob questions but... anybody know which cables I'd need to connect the JVS to JAMMA board to the Naomi? For power and suchlike.

USB-like cable (A to B cable I think I remember) connects from the JVS adapter board for controls
    VGA<->VGA cable for video
    Phono type audio<->same for audio
    The JVS to JAMMA appears to supply the correct voltages etc.
    That earlier linked to JVS/JAMMA board, the power connector to possibily feed the Naomi (or what looks like it) doesn't look populated. Wonder if it is meant to feed the Naomi direct or some other setup?

PiForce web is handy :) note that you won't be able to play all games as they expect certain JVS control boards (think MonkeyBall or analogue controls) - unsure if the JVS/JAMMA board does any magic with that

Advertisement