Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

interviews will be after stage 2 results are sent out, you'll get an invite to stage 3 interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mmullen1983

just scraped through for stage two!Anybody got any advice to move up the oom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Oliolioli

Does anybody else find the verbal reasoning frustrating? I've done the practice 10 times and the best I've got is 4/6. Usually get 2 or 3/6. I wish there was somewhere they'd tell you why you got what you got!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭themom

Oliolioli wrote: »
    Does anybody else find the verbal reasoning frustrating? I've done the practice 10 times and the best I've got is 4/6. Usually get 2 or 3/6. I wish there was somewhere they'd tell you why you got what you got!

Very frustrating. There are some questions that in my opinion need explanation as to why you chose the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AGS2017

Passed all three tests and selected Dublin as my location. Any guesses as to likelihood of more people being called for Dublin?
    170 people appear to be called forward for Dublin, but I’m in 250’s plus.
    Surprised by how few are being called forward for Dublin, when 200 plus are being called forward in Galway. You’d think they’d need more as many in Dublin given population etc?
    Would I be as well off to forget about this campaign given my placing of 250 in Dublin? How many jobs are going in Dublin?
    Necrominus – You mention about people transferring out, do you mean people took the jobs and transferred to similar grades elsewhere in the civil or public service?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

I’m currently high on the oom for galway and Castlebar, am based in Mayo and recently found full time employment.
    I think it’s a complete joke that I would need to take a full day off, about 8 hours travelling, the cost etc ...
    All to do 17min of tests!!! Not sure if it’s worth it

piobhan wrote: »
    I’m currently high on the oom for galway and Castlebar, am based in Mayo and recently found full time employment.
    I think it’s a complete joke that I would need to take a full day off, about 8 hours travelling, the cost etc ...
    All to do 17min of tests!!! Not sure if it’s worth it
    And back up for interviews if sucessful after stage 2.Its a long spin... but "if your not in it you cant win it ". I didnt place high... just scraped through but i might be lucky enough to get through to stage 3!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

AGS2017 wrote: »
    Necrominus – You mention about people transferring out, do you mean people took the jobs and transferred to similar grades elsewhere in the civil or public service?

Yep, transfer to different departments etc. that might be closer to home - or simply because they've been here for so long and fancy a change from shift work :)

I myself have put in for a transfer back to my home county but will have to serve another 18 months before I'm eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ted2015

Necrominus wrote: »
    Training is for 4 weeks, first two weeks is in a training room getting used to the PULSE system.

Next 2 weeks you're out on the floor taking calls but supervised.

After that you join one of the teams and go on shift cycle. Work is monitored and all your incidents are checked by your supervisors for the next six months.

Training is paid at base salary rate (no shift allowances etc) That comes when you go on cycle.

Note: All above info is regarding Castlebar centre.

Anyone has any questions as such about stuff I'll try to answer, been there since September myself. Shift work is tough but you do get used to it.

Just wondering would you have any idea how long the recruitment process may take after you finish stage 2 to actually beginning the position? thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ted2015 wrote: »
    Just wondering would you have any idea how long the recruitment process may take after you finish stage 2 to actually beginning the position? thanks in advance :)

I don't sadly. I was part of the 2016 CO competition. Started September 2017 so it does take a while.

Now in saying that I could have started in June but I had holidays organised.

Did my stage 2 in November 2016, had the interview in February 2017. Got offered the position in April and then had to undergo garda vetting which takes a little longer for these positions.

Going off that about 6 months... BUT, that was CO and this is a more specified competition so could be quicker. Depends on your order of merit position really.

Hope that helps :)

Anyone here in today for state two ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 A91

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Anyone here in today for state two ?

No tomorrow. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I'm in at 3. The hanging around is killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I was in at eleven. Glad to have it out of the way now.

Well that was great fun, results at the end of march seems a bit of a stretch.

• Advertisement

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I was in at eleven. Glad to have it out of the way now.

How was it? How long were you in there for ?

A91 wrote: »
    How was it? How long were you in there for ?

It's an hour max

how did the call audio go?is it physically possible to complete 8 pages in 5 minutes?

how did the call audio go?is it physically possible to complete 8 pages in 5 minutes?

I would be seriously impressed if someone finished the 8

I would be seriously impressed if someone finished the 8
    Same as that... on the practice tests I'm getting all 8 done with 50/55 seconds left.But they are a lot shorter than the real test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Waggamamma

Does anyone know do you have to bring a printed copy of invite to stage 2? I'm sure I read a screen shot is ok but I can't find where it's written to confirm that. Thanks

Waggamamma wrote: »
    Does anyone know do you have to bring a printed copy of invite to stage 2? I'm sure I read a screen shot is ok but I can't find where it's written to confirm that. Thanks

I also read that a screenshot is ok

I thought so. Thanks. Good luck with it! I'm not up until tomorrow but feeling a bit anxious today.

Hi, where are you all doing the practice tests for the call handling? i can only do it once and it says exercise complete? if someone could help me out that would be great in on Friday!

March is a very long stretch to waiting to hear and then interviews if were lucky.

Hi, where are you all doing the practice tests for the call handling? i can only do it once and it says exercise complete? if someone could help me out that would be great in on Friday!

March is a very long stretch to waiting to hear and then interviews if were lucky.
    check your emails from PAS... it has a link for practice tests.Best of luck .

I'm in same boat but my email link to practice tests only let me do 18 seconds of it. Can log in again.

I'm in same boat but my email link to practice tests only let me do 18 seconds of it. Can log in again.
    Did you copy and paste the link because when I click on the link it's inactive.

I clicked link initially and got 18 seconds worth. Copied link and it said exercise completed.

I clicked link initially and got 18 seconds worth. Copied link and it said exercise completed.
    Is that the link from the administration booklet or the separate email from PAS?

Is that the link from the administration booklet or the separate email from PAS?

From booklet and was directed to log on to typing test via email confirmation sent by PAS if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill got it via email i was using the material book thanks again :)

From booklet and was directed to log on to typing test via email confirmation sent by PAS if that makes sense.
    Check your emails separately... not from the booklet.if you search your emails from PAS... all capital letters it should help.it might say "exercise is completed " but click run exercise anyway and it will work.

Check your emails separately... not from the booklet.if you search your emails from PAS... all capital letters it should help.it might say "exercise is completed " but click run exercise anyway and it will work.

Got it thank you very much.

Got it thank you very much.
    You are very welcome...Hopefully it will bring me good luck tomoro!!Which are are you looking for?I'm hoping for castlebar.

Castlebar aswell i just wonder what type of results you need to be getting in round two to be called to stage three was round one tight enough? ah best of luck tomorrow

You are very welcome...Hopefully it will bring me good luck tomoro!!Which are are you looking for?I'm hoping for castlebar.

I have applied for Galway. Best of luck, might see you up there tomorrow!

Castlebar aswell i just wonder what type of results you need to be getting in round two to be called to stage three was round one tight enough? ah best of luck tomorrow
    I don't know... I'd say the qualifying score is the same.well I have to try and move all the way up the rankings tomorrow because I just scraped through.Hopefully there will be a few that won't bother going up to Dublin for stage 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shopassistant

I'm just wondering if there's any point for me going up to Dublin for Stage 2? I'm in the top 130 for my chosen areas but feel I'm too far down the list to eventually end up in the job. Have many people attended the Assessment Centre?

I'm just wondering if there's any point for me going up to Dublin for Stage 2? I'm in the top 130 for my chosen areas but feel I'm too far down the list to eventually end up in the job. Have many people attended the Assessment Centre?

You might improve your oom after stage 2.
    How interested are you in the job? I desperately want it but am not convinced I will get placed being in top 50 in my area but I'm going to give it a shot.
    I have been told of a few people who are not going to continue despite invitation to stage 2 so you never know.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Advertisement

I don't know... I'd say the qualifying score is the same.well I have to try and move all the way up the rankings tomorrow because I just scraped through.Hopefully there will be a few that won't bother going up to Dublin for stage 2!

Are you are also scored on interview? If we make it that far we could come out with much better scores. Fingers crossed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Don't discount yourself yet. In the last CS campaign I did, I jumped from 1580 to 158 between stage 1 and stagr 2 (nationwide rankings)

Are you are also scored on interview? If we make it that far we could come out with much better scores. Fingers crossed !
    I don't think so... as far as I know it's either they like you in the interview and think you're suitable or they don't.Think they just offer interviews based on how you ranked in stage 2.

I don't think so... as far as I know it's either they like you in the interview and think you're suitable or they don't.Think they just offer interviews based on how you ranked in stage 2.

Fair enough I guess.

Fair enough I guess.
    true... Hopefully tomorrow will go well and stage 3 invites will come.its nerve wrecking stuff!!!

Any idea the amount of positions they are offering us. I'm saving to cover me until I get on shift pay. First month is only basic pay.

• Advertisement

Any idea the amount of positions they are offering us. I'm saving to cover me until I get on shift pay. First month is only basic pay.
    I'm not sit sure cedric87... someone said in an earlier post between 20 and 30 for castlebar. you would never know... when 2nd choice slots are taken out of the equation it might free up a few more positions in castlebar...and people that don't bother going to Dublin for stage 2.

I'm not sit sure cedric87... someone said in an earlier post between 20 and 30 for castlebar. you would never know... when 2nd choice slots are taken out of the equation it might free up a few more positions in castlebar...and people that don't bother going to Dublin for stage 2.

Perfect thanks. I won't be taking my second choice it's Dublin for me or nothing. I'm sure many are the same.

Perfect thanks. I won't be taking my second choice it's Dublin for me or nothing. I'm sure many are the same.
    I know.. it's the same for me.. mayo or nothing.best of luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 colfah

Does anybody know how many they need in Galway. I think this is a new Garda control room maybe I'm wrong. I wonder how many they need to set it up

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeanoG14

colfah wrote: »
    Does anybody know how many they need in Galway. I think this is a new Garda control room maybe I'm wrong. I wonder how many they need to set it up

I heard that it's a new control room too.

Necrominus, any idea how many staff are currently employed in Castlebar?

• Advertisement
Advertisement