Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CIMA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It all depends on yourself. My approach was do two and aim to pass two. I was never disciplined enough to juggle sitting three papers. Well obviously with the strategic papers I had to sit all three but I didn't do courses for all three.

Courses are expensive enough so need to make sure you get value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Didnt sit the exams i booked in November, so trying to decide myself how many to sit in the resits.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before but seeing as everyone here seems very knowledgable on the topic and there may be others with the same query as me at this time of year so i thought no harm in asking it again :) I have decided to give CIMA a go and plan to sit the first level in May this year. I have been given exemptions from the CBA and one of the final strategic level exams so guess I'll start with the operational exams. I work full-time with sometimes fairly long hours duringthe week but always with the weekends off.

My key questions are:
    1. Are there any exams that complement each other and may be best to sit together?
    2. Would people recommend study at home or classes?
    3. Does anyone have an example of a good study plan?

Many thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to help.

Best of luck to all starting out, working through & finishing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Any of ye planning topcima for end feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Not in February but T4B is all I have left to do, just need to get my rear into gear after the silly season.

Do BPP Ireland still do CIMA courses or even still exist? The info on their website seems old. I've always done their home study courses because I'm not Dublin-based and I just don't have the time or money to travel to a classroom course. Even if I had the money I'd end up missing classes due to family commitments so I work better studying from home.

I have a friend doing managerial level and she says she will not do an exam unless she can do the classroom course. When I was at managerial level I bought the whole home study course but at strategic level I just bought the BPP textbooks and revision books and they were much cheaper. Didn't get to submit a practice exam though, I passed but my marks were always in the low to mid 50's.

A few times a year CIMA ran free study and exam skills seminars which I attended and got great advice from. I'm unsure now what to do re: T4B, should I make the effort and go to a class or keep on with home study.

• Advertisement

Its all about doing mocks with t4, failed it 3times with same mark 23/50 so starting it again for feb as pre seen out next week....then exam 6 weeks later

Im out of work so I used to buy mocks from bpp, dont know if they doing mocks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

3 times that's rough :( Hopefully you're nearly there though. I'm out of work myself again, even if I pass TOPCIMA it won't be easy getting jobs as a qualified ACMA with only barely enough experience to pass T4A. I didn't think I had enough experience for T4A but I got it anyway so only T4B to get over now.

Yeah, may talk to later in year about t4a. Have experience just not multinational exp and they are only guys recuiting....told wife as soon as I pass this were off as dole is sole destroying. Onlything that keeps me sane is farm back home but you wouldn make a living from it.

Ill get notes from somewhere and have no issues with u taking them to help u in may as the fees are nasty for courses.

Have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

I was going to study some of the operational CIMA subjects online. I was wondering has anyone experience of studying CIMA online and if they had any reccomendations which provider would be best.

I tried the online course for the Operational Level, but to be honest I didnt like it, and ended up buying the text books also, which i find easier to read through. It could be down to personal preference though.

Howdy all.

I need to repeat P1. I was thinking of doing the extra exam sitting in Feb.

If anyone who has passed P1, and wants to get rid of the textbook, I might be interested in buying it, if it is the recent versio and you are based in the Cork area.

Also, a work colleague of mine mentioned that they often repeat the same types of questions in the extra exam sitting (in Feb) as the questions that appeared in the previous sitting (in Nov). Is there any truth to that? I cant ever imagine CIMA being that predictable?

Another theory is that an examiner will often ask the same types of questions, so if you know who is writing the next exam, there is a pretty good chance of predicting what will appear in that exam, based on what that examiner asked in previous examinations?

cheers

M

• Advertisement

Meursault wrote: »
    Howdy all.

I need to repeat P1. I was thinking of doing the extra exam sitting in Feb.

If anyone who has passed P1, and wants to get rid of the textbook, I might be interested in buying it, if it is the recent versio and you are based in the Cork area.

Also, a work colleague of mine mentioned that they often repeat the same types of questions in the extra exam sitting (in Feb) as the questions that appeared in the previous sitting (in Nov). Is there any truth to that? I cant ever imagine CIMA being that predictable?

Another theory is that an examiner will often ask the same types of questions, so if you know who is writing the next exam, there is a pretty good chance of predicting what will appear in that exam, based on what that examiner asked in previous examinations?

cheers

M

Cima are not predictable. Your best bet would know as much as you can. The turors may see a pattern but cima do it there way all the time pattern or no pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ciaranisco

Meursault, I sat P1 in November and while the November Paper could never really be considered a predictor for the February repeat exam, I would point out that of the two standard issue, long questions (3 and 4) which are generally always on Marginal Costing and Investment appraisal - this was not the case in November.

Marginal costing was replaced with Activity Based Costing. This was not the first time this had happened and it had happened in a few past papers, but I would consider it highly unlikely to see ABC reappearing as a long question in February when they broke with expectation just 3 months earlier... But what would I know, I don't get my results until tomorrow.

Have you been doing home study or attending a college?

I've been attending International College of Business and Finance (ic-bf.com) on Fitzwilliam Street in Dublin 2.

They opened last summer after BPP ceased lectures for most CIMA courses. Classes were quite small (3 or 4 per class).

I've taken a very aggressive approach and sat E1, P1 and F1 in November, having sat 3 CIMA Certificate exams between Sept 1st and 10th last year. I'll be signing up to do E2, P2 and F2 with them on Wednesday at their Open Night, assuming my results go to plan tomorrow... Although, even if I was to fail one (maximum, hopefully), I would do the resit and try to pass the whole Management Level in one sitting.

Doing three at a time is a burden, I won't lie, but I had an immaculate attendance for the Operational level classes and so I didn't find doing all three that bad (aside from the time sacraficed).

Sitting 3 Management Level exams in May makes sense since I'll have all the momentum of having just done the three preceding courses only 2 months before the lectures kick off. Of course, the difficulty level jumps up a bit...

I did the Certificate exams in September using the online study resource and managed to get all three first time (I had 2 exemptions) but I didn't enjoy the experience at all. I much prefer physical classes and even though I'm working full time and it meant I had very little free time for 4 months, I really like the idea that I can sit 3 in May and maybe even 3 in November and get through the whole thing with 18 months of hard work.

In terms of "study", I got a library card and used it for the final week before exams, but for me, it was all about going to lectures, in a small class and paying attention. I learn a lot more that way than I do sitting, staring at a book on my own.

Well done on your progress, I completed the Certificate level myself in January doing all 5 in 3 months was tough but want to get the qualification finished as quickly as possible.

Did E1 in May scored very well and planned on doing F1 and P1 in November. Didnt sit the exams in the end as our baby came early, trying to decide now whether or not to do F1 and P1 in the resits or just do F1 & F2 on the same day and P1 & P2 on the same day in May

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

I was going to study some of the operational CIMA subjects online. I was wondering has anyone experience of studying CIMA online and if they had any reccomendations which provider would be best.

Hi.I studied E1 and E2 online thru CIMAstudy.com,passed E1 but failed E2.that was a couple of years ago,so then did E2 with BPP for Nov 2012 exam & just passed today! Found the BPP online lectures very good,as can be difficult just reading on your own. They have online forums too so you can ask any questions to lecturer any time. They get back to you within a day. Sent 2 mock exams to be corrected too. They're good to let you know how you're really getting on.
    ETA: CIMAstudy was a bit boring & didn't condense info as well as BPP does, in those 2 subjects anyway

Signed up to do F1 for May, so will be the first numbers based exam I'm doing through BPP online. I'm hoping to have similar positive experience. Just don't have the time to go to classes after work as I've a long commute & they wouldn't suit time wise.

Fair play to all those who can pass more than one at a time, I don't know how ye do it working full time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Finished certificate level as of this morning....passed C01 with a 50%...close call.

Have signed up for F1 and P1 in Dublin Business School for May exams.

Congrats to those who passed this morning. I passed F1 myself, so delighted to have another one out of the way

Ciaranisco, thanks for the advice. I would assume/hope that they'll continue to have an Investment appraisal question based around NPV for Q4 in P1? I might concentrate on Marginal Costing so, rather than ABC for Q3

so hard t predict tho. those classes sound great btw. Shame there isnt a similar option in Cork. I am planning on taking the extra exam sitting in Feb for P1, but have to go to Dublin for it. It is one of the drawbacks of doing CIMA - the fact that there arent as many courses, and it may involve travelling to sit an exam.

i find it very time consuming to try and fiigure out the course by myself. it would be great to be able to take classes and ask questions. ah well

anyway, best of luck to those taking Feb/Mar exams. hopefully i can get P1 out of the way in that sitting

cheers

Congrats Meursault. I got my results this morning too and all went well. I passed F1, E1 and P1 with over 10% to spare on all of them.

Roll on E2, P2 and F2 in May... A big step up again, but I hadn't done accounting studies since the Leaving Cert in 2003 and I'm working full time, so it was a big ask to get to where I am now - six exams and two exemptions down since last September.

sounds like you're on a roll Ciaranisco. you'll be finished in no time!

savage effort involved alright, but hopefully it will pay off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 brianmul189

Passed F2. Onto strategic level now. Any advice for this level/these 3 exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Hey, my 1 month old CIMA C01 Study Text is now no longer needed by me. Paid €40sih for it, would part with it for €20 if anyone wants it and can meet in Dublin City centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamescork

i too will be taking on the strategic level in May. Going to be a tough few months.

Has anyone studied online and would they recommend. I work late most nights so can't attend DBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Floria

Just pass CIMA gateway assessment (E2 P2 F2)and roll on the strategic level.

If anyone is interested pls PM.

BTW, I am galway-based.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Narraone

Hi everyone,
    looking for some info as im concidering starting with CIMA in the next few days.

Firstly i have a bachelor of business finance honours from I.T. Sligo which i completed 4 years ago, so im wondering is there anyone on here who started with similar degree and what exemptions do ye think i would be eligable for.

Secondly i have a decent enough job at the moment but it is in no way accountancy related as its retail management. When i say decent, i mean the money is decent but its kind of dead end. Would i be able to continue working this job untill near the strategic level exams and then hopefully find a relevant employer for the experience needed?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as i am getting near deadline date for this summers exams.

David

There is a section on the CIMA website where you check your exemptions.

Here is the result for your degree

http://www.cimaglobal.com/Study-with-us/Exemptions/Exemption-search/Institute-of-Technology-Sligo/?qualification=1-5X4FYZ

Hi All, quick question regarding NPV in P1.

If there is a negative NPV is it safe to assume they won't ask IRR?

I presume you ask because November's P1 exam had a negative NPV. I don't believe they would ask for an IRR when the result is negative, not just because of how it messes with the IRR formula, but more because traditionally when you get a negative NPV, that's sufficient to disregard an investment option.

In Nov-12's P1 exam, the negative NPV did not disqualify the project because it was an environmental project which would lead to certain sunk costs which the company would face if they didn't employ the project.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that Ciaranisco. I was thinking the same (that it wouldn't make sense to ask for the IRR, if there was a negative NPV). It would be safe enough to assume, therefore, that if IRR is asked, the the NPV is probably positive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ilanda

statss wrote: »
    Hey, my 1 month old CIMA C01 Study Text is now no longer needed by me. Paid €40sih for it, would part with it for €20 if anyone wants it and can meet in Dublin City centre.

I'd be interested if you still have the text.

Advertisement