Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals burn 400m of the Boyne boardwalk at Drogheda

Options
13»

Comments

I seen today they're already underway sorting it.

JCB dragged the burned wreck away, they cut it off from the undamaged section, and have a load of stones in there now. I hope they get it back to normal as soon as.

They've also strimmed back all of the hedging and overgrowth. I presume that was planned, anyway.

It does bug me that they're gonna stick down a plywood alternative for the moment though. Surely a ply alternative, that has to be pulled up and replaced with the proper stuff, is just kicking the can down the road a bit? Would it not make more sense to get stuck in, get the proper materials in and go for a proper repair straightaway.

I don't think m/any would object to them skipping the tendering process and simply reverting to whoever did the initial install of the boardwalk. I know 'that's not the way it's done', but what harm would it do given the circumstances.

I seen today they're already underway sorting it.

JCB dragged the burned wreck away, they cut it off from the undamaged section, and have a load of stones in there now. I hope they get it back to normal as soon as.

They've also strimmed back all of the hedging and overgrowth. I presume that was planned, anyway.

It does bug me that they're gonna stick down a plywood alternative for the moment though. Surely a ply alternative, that has to be pulled up and replaced with the proper stuff, is just kicking the can down the road a bit? Would it not make more sense to get stuck in, get the proper materials in and go for a proper repair straightaway.

I don't think m/any would object to them skipping the tendering process and simply reverting to whoever did the initial install of the boardwalk. I know 'that's not the way it's done', but what harm would it do given the circumstances.

With the Fleadh just 2 weeks away I would say that's their priority - get something in place quickly. At least it means the boardwalk can reopen.
    I'd imagine sourcing the recyclable materials for the real deal and getting that put in would take more than 2 weeks!!

Plus if its public money (taxpayer's!) they simply cant skip the tendering process (creating precedent surely)

We should be thankful something is being done quickly and we probably have the Fleadh to thank for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

With the Fleadh just 2 weeks away I would say that's their priority - get something in place quickly. At least it means the boardwalk can reopen.
    I'd imagine sourcing the recyclable materials for the real deal and getting that put in would take more than 2 weeks!!

Plus if its public money (taxpayer's!) they simply cant skip the tendering process (creating precedent surely)

We should be thankful something is being done quickly and we probably have the Fleadh to thank for that!

exactly, they did mention that it could be months before the rebuild to start so its good to see something going in place for the Fleadh

So it seems the stone I seen being put in place is the temporary solution.

So it will now be, i presume, a hardcore base and a compacted gravel finish on top of it.

Better than Ply, I suppose, but in relation to sourcing the correct materials, I doubt it would be that difficult? I'd imagine it's a common enough boardwalk design/material and not unique to Drogheda?

That said, they reckon Eddie Phelan (a structural engineer i do believe, and chairman of the committee down there) reckons a cost of 150-200k to fix the section.

Now, call me mad, but is that not an eye-wateringly expensive, borderline obnoxious price?

As far as I am aware, the initial boardwalk project was 850,000. This damaged section is not 1/5th of the boardwalk. There's no 'trial and error' to see what works best or a risk of it collapsing due to the wrong materials. It's a copy/paste job of what was already there.

150-200k sounds like someone chancing their arm. The 'insurance job' price rather than the 'real' price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

be nice if they came out and said what the 10k that was raised will go towards

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    be nice if they came out and said what the 10k that was raised will go towards

I'm still adamant that should go towards CCTV. You'd only need one camera either end. Tap into the electricity supply off the Cable Bridge and install one that side of the boardwalk at the ramparts junction. Then use Oldbridge's power to get another one overlooking that side of the boardwalk.

If anything happens on the boardwalk you'd probably not see it take place, but you'd have a good idea who was on the boardwalk at the time of the assault/robbery/etc. taking place.

I know 10k wouldn't cover it (even though it's loads of money and really should cover it) but it would surely pay towards the cost.

I think Duleek got 11 Cameras installed and set up for €50k. No reason you couldn't stick 2-3 cameras on the boardwalk with 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

We have seen many occasions recently where people/community power has won out and in most cases it has been where the people have gone against the administration. On the Boyneside trail again the community voice has been heard but in this case the community have worked with the administration to turn adversity into victory. The gofundme campaign is now closed, the point has been well made, the short term solution will be in place for the Fleadh and the final solution has been committed. The next step is presenting the communities contribution to the local authority not only to help with the cost but also as a symbol of our ownership! Congratulations and well done to all involved

So wee just raised 10k for meath by sounds of it ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭gipi

How about putting the money raised up as a reward for information leading to a conviction?

Might make someone turn on their mate(s)....?

gipi wrote: »
    How about putting the money raised up as a reward for information leading to a conviction?

Might make someone turn on their mate(s)....?

To be honest, I'd rather it was put towards CCTV as, even if Little Johnny is arrested, the courts will take his sob story and parents addiction issues etc. and give him a slap on the wrist.

If it were me that burned it, I'd be more concerned about the general public knowing, than the Gardai. I'd say whoever did it may well get a good hiding (or at least so I hope).

Took a walk on the boardwalk today.

The burned part of the walk has been replaced with a gravel path, which is mostly compacted down to near-concrete levels. I presume that what will happen here (you heard it here first!) is that Meath CoCo will get the money to return the boardwalk to it's former glory, but instead, will tarmac the gravel area and leave it as a footpath section of the walk.

So the boardwalk will never return to that section in my opinion (sad as it is).

The (I suppose) plus side is that I have heard a name of a person floating around that's allegedly responsible. I'm hoping that'll spread a bit further around town. Of course, nothing will ever happen him in the judicial world. Unless the turns himself in and brings the petrol/gloves and a selfie of him lighting the fire, the Gardai will likely have no interest. Such is this great little country of ours.

Despite the (still!) burning smell, the walk is still a lovely one and I'm glad it's something I can still get out and do (id be on it regularly).

I notice the remains of the boardwalk are stored on OPWs land beside Oldbridge. It's a bit mad looking at it torn up out of place. Looks like a broken and burned rollercoaster track. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭positron

Sorry for digging up a 7 month old thread but thought this is relevant.

Here's a list of all the projects that was allocated funds in the couple of weeks ago: https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2018/11/outdoor-recreation-infrastructure-scheme-2018.pdf

Nothing for poor old Drogheda or Boyne.

They are making great progress on Royal Canal walkway. Can we even dream of a project starting from Mornington and heading all the way to Navan and beyond to Trim and perhaps even join the Royal Canal Way? Imagine being able to ride from Mornington to Longford along the river! Perhaps just a pipe dream!

Thought I saw something mentioned recently about a link from Kildare up as far as newgrange.

At this stage though I'd be happy just for them to make good the section between the park and where the boardwalk begins proper. Rode it recently on a MTB and it wasn't pleasant.

Thought I saw something mentioned recently about a link from Kildare up as far as newgrange.

At this stage though I'd be happy just for them to make good the section between the park and where the boardwalk begins proper. Rode it recently on a MTB and it wasn't pleasant.

Would agree with that.

There are sections that are un-walkable after even a small bit of rain.

Advertisement