Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals burn 400m of the Boyne boardwalk at Drogheda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

sniperman_by_wiredgear-d21bud0.jpg

Should be a team of Snipermen in Ireland, a secret government agency. They take out the dirt and vanish like a ghost.
    Judge and executioner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Stanley knife stories are great.Tell us how hard you are again!!

Im not hard at all. I was shaking when I spotted him and for a good period afterwards. I also had to keep looking over my shoulder for a while. I would have never used it either. Don't fool yourself into thinking I did something from a Hollywood movie. And don't think that some people can't work up the courage to do something like that every now and then. It was one kid on his own after all not a gang of hooded youths in a dark alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

its drogheda, what did ye expect ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Anything to do with the Battle of the Boyne ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

s8n wrote: »
    its drogheda, what did ye expect ?

That’s cheap, in fairness the majority of locals are a decent good living people who are sickened by this act. As for pulling Stanley blades on scrotes...we need to obey the rule of law and that’s not how it’s done.

• Advertisement

gebbel wrote: »
    That’s cheap, in fairness the majority of locals are a decent good living people who are sickened by this act. As for pulling Stanley blades on scrotes...we need to obey the rule of law and that’s not how it’s done.

Depends on if you want results or not. If the town got together and confronted those responsible it would send a clear message. Waste of time waiting for the Gardai. Even if they are brought before the courts they will most likely not get a punishment harsh enough to deter them. How many stories do we hear about people having dozens of convictions yet are still out terrorising. The rule of law is slow, ineffective and too lenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

What I can't understand is where do these softy judges live? How do they stay immune to this type of mindless thuggery that is going around. Perhaps they need a bottle thrown at their house.

I am going to start taking photos of any suspicious looking groups anywhere and everywhere. Discretely of course, I am not much of a fighter. At least that way if something like this were to happen, there will be something I can pass on to the Gardaí. Perhaps everyone should this - phones, dashcams, cyclists etc with gopros etc - the whole lot. Yeah, it is at the cost of everyone's privacy, but it will only be called upon or put to use when there is an incident such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Oh no! How horrible, I love that walk, it is such a pretty area there. I hope they catch whoever is responsible and make them rebuild it, at own cost of course.

Without trying to sound like internetz hard man myself, I agree completely with Autochange. The Gardai are so ineffective that it's actually farcical at times looking at them.

The judges are just disinterested at this stage I'd say. I can't recall the last time I heard of a ruling and thought 'proper order!'. It's always a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was burnt for a laugh, not for a sinister evil reason, just for a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ah well that's grand so /thread

Do they know it was intentionally started ? So much heat and dryness lately ......it wasn’t some bloody BBQ on the river bank was it? Have the Gardai said it was deliberate ?

It was a sinister act whatever about the laugh.

Do they know it was intentionally started ? So much heat and dryness lately ......it wasn’t some bloody BBQ on the river bank was it? Have the Gardai said it was deliberate ?

Again the gardai. When will people get into their heads that our guardians of justice basically cant be arsed.

Autochange wrote: »
    Again the gardai. When will people get into their heads that our guardians of justice basically cant be arsed.

Well my question , regardless , was who said it was arson or started by thugs ?? How does anyone know it wasn’t started by fishermen lighting a disposable BBQ on the river bank?

( I prefer not to call scum like this animals....huge disrespect to innocent animals who are regularly abused by scum !)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

_Brian wrote: »
    I do wonder what exactly has gone so wrong In our society to bring us to this sort of thing. And it’s not isolated.

My job includes managing maintenance of many public amenities and just this week we had public toilets smashed, bins vandalised and bouyency rings removed.
    Few years ago we had louts smash bottles into shallow water at a lakeside amenitie where public swimming lessons happen.

Then there’s the whole littering fly tipping problem. :(

Whats gone wrong? Simply put the Judiciary don't punish criminal behaviour so this sort of thing will continue until they do. In fact it'll get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

gofundme, nicely on track :)

Well my question , regardless , was who said it was arson or started by thugs ?? How does anyone know it wasn’t started by fishermen lighting a disposable BBQ on the river bank?

( I prefer not to call scum like this animals....huge disrespect to innocent animals who are regularly abused by scum !)

It wasn't a warm night, though. It was cool and raining the night it went on fire.

I believe they've reported finding petrol and latex gloves? Besides, the boardwalk is a recycled plastic (not timber) and the height of the flames would tell me it wasn't just a fire that spread of it's own accord.

It was definitely deliberate, and yeah, the Gardai have said they're treating it as a criminal act of arson.

kbell wrote: »
    gofundme, nicely on track :)

I threw a few Euro in, will likely do a bit more again. I hope they keep raising it. Would like to see them aim for 20k. That'd be 10% of the estimated repairs, and even if it's not reached, it'd still be great to see the public support.

It's just a pity the CoCo can't drop a few sheets of the plastic decking and handrails there, then turn a blind eye and go and work on something else for a week, and let Joe Soap and friends get stuck into fixing it up. Would speed it up a lot if it was taken over by local people and didn't have to go through the whole process of paperwork to say what happened, reports of this, report that, etc.

As an aside, I could almost guess now who did it. Some of the reactions on Facebook to it lead me to a particular group of people that I would be aware have a history of starting fires locally. I'd guess, and this is a guess of course, that the Gardai probably already know fine well who done it. But getting them for it is a different matter.

But ultimately, I hope that the boardwalk gets fixed up to the way it was, and I hope this doesn't affect future plans for mornington greenway etc. As Kevin Callan said on LMFM, boardwalks exist in loads of counties, and loads of counties. Nothing ever happens to them. It'd be difficult to go begging for money to work on completing the walking route, whilst also acknowledging that the boardwalk we currently have has been burned to a cinder by local thugs.

If it was money out of my own pocket, I think I'd be having a hard time investing in future boardwalks/greenways for the town when that's going on in the background.

I also notice St. John Ambulance are promoting a GoFundMe for a new ambulance. I really really like SJA and everyone in it is lovely in my experience, but I can't see them doing too well out of it with the timing of the Boardwalk GoFundMe appearing. Hopefully they'll get sorted, though. :)

Scotty # wrote: »
    You'd think. Remember that factory that was burnt down last year putting 70 people out of a job? Those guys were caught and faced little or no consequences.

Last year? Sept 2015 and at least one lad did do a stretch for that.

Anyway, I'd love if they actually did a job on the stretch while they are at it from the park to where you meet the road again. The surface is terrible in places and sections prone to flooding which leaves reeds and silt on the path which even with out those has large rocks sticking up and is narrow in places too. Not a stretch I like riding on. Recall earlier in the year having to carry my bike over a 20 meter stretch of mud then go back and carry my wee one and her bike over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭blingrhino

cant understand this gofund me larky

it must be owned by the county council therefore will be fully insured .

We already are paying for it !

• Advertisement

Meath CC said today it's fully covered under insurance based on a report on LMFM News I heard today.

I rode by on the bike earlier and it's bad yes but not 400 meters bad i've seen suggested else where, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Meath CC said today it's fully covered under insurance based on a report on LMFM

so where does all this money go then ?

https://www.gofundme.com/repair-drogheda039s-boardwalk

That gofundme looks like a scam :

Now local Councillor Paul Bell has reassured locals that it can be rebuilt and a county council insurance scheme will pay for it.

He said: "I am informed that it is council property an it is covered by the insurance which is the Irish Publics insurance scheme

"I have established that it is County Meath Council that is involved - it is the property of the council and it is covered by the insurance.

gctest50 wrote: »
    That gofundme looks like a scam :

Think the GoFundMe was set up properly, in that the money will still be used by the lads at the boyne trail committee or whatever the name is.

Obviously just not used for the boardwalk repairs themselves as we now know that money is covered.

Wouldn't be a bad thing to suggest putting it towards some CCTV for the area. Still think this will have a negative impact on the likelihood of the greenway into mornington idea.

maybe it was zeus throwing firing lightening bolts from his arse. Get a grip

The gofundme thingy has exceeed the 10 grand target. I’m sure it’s not a scam like someone suggested but it would be good to be updated on exactly what it’s used for.

I agree with the above.

I think Boyneside Trail voluteer group was instrumental in getting the boardwalk built in the first place. And they have been campaingning for Mornington to Navan greenway, which sounds fantastic. I would love to see that happening, will be a huge boost to the area. If the funds get directed towards that campaign (current boardwalk would be part of it of course), I will fully support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the sad tools that did this have nothing in their lives so the wanton destruction of the things that others get enjoyment from is as good as it gets for them..

I detest them and pity them in equal measures.

I don't know what it is to be such an empty being.

Truth is that there at least one, if not more, persons going on around the town with their life as usual right now - fully knowing who did this.

Perhaps a parent or a sibling of the culprit(s), reading all the news and sensing all the grief - yet can't bring up the courage to do the right thing.

it's a shame. They are suffering, so is rest of the town - for the mindless thuggery of some moron(s).

• Advertisement

gebbel wrote: »
    The gofundme thingy has exceeed the 10 grand target. I’m sure it’s not a scam like someone suggested but it would be good to be updated on exactly what it’s used for.

That was my point - what exactly are the funds collected going be used for ?

All donations received will go to the Boyneside Trail Committee (all volunteers) who will direct the funds into the work needed to repair the boardwalk.

The structure is insured, the council will get on with it and be paid

Advertisement