Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals burn 400m of the Boyne boardwalk at Drogheda

Options
  • 27-07-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

This makes me sick inside. 2 weeks before the fleadh cheoil brings hundreds of thousands of people to Drogheda hits even harder. I don’t have any answers but if they can fix it before then I would gladly contribute. Sickening. How can anyone do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

its is sickening .. I cycle with the kids regularly to oldbridge and this made it so much safer … scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

It’s horrendous, I’m on holidays and it’s taken my enjoyment from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

They're not even animals. They're scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

gebbel wrote: »
    ...if they can fix it before then I would gladly contribute.

It took the best part of a year to put in. I doubt it will be fixed within a few months.

I hope they are caught but sure even if they are, what price will they pay? ZIP!

Scotty # wrote: »
    It took the best part of a year to put in. I doubt it will be fixed within a few months.

I hope they are caught but sure even if they are, what price will they pay? ZIP!

Yes it seems hopeless right now and our soft justice system doesn’t fill you with confidence. But the public outrage at this should guarantee some sort of custodial sentence. The problem is there’s no cameras down there and I’d be amazed if they can pin this on anyone.

• Advertisement

But the public outrage at this should guarantee some sort of custodial sentence.

You'd think. Remember that factory that was burnt down last year putting 70 people out of a job? Those guys were caught and faced little or no consequences.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

6p9b80.png

That's truely shocking. They should get jail.

You know, OK nobody died but the people of Drogheda didn’t just lose today, the people of IRELAND lost today....justice must be served!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

We all know even if they are caught there would be no justice-most likely juveniles which our system does nt cater for...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Scotty # wrote: »
    You'd think. Remember that factory that was burnt down last year putting 70 people out of a job? Those guys were caught and faced little or no consequences.

And at least 1 reoffended within no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That yoke would have needed loads of maintenance in a few years anyway

Put in a nice concrete walkway instead

BPCt72g.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »
    That yoke would have needed loads of maintenance in a few years anyway

That's the joy of recycled plastic, it's maintenance free - but not fireproof unfortunately.

Early estimates are €200K (according to LMFM). I wonder is it worth repairing at all for some little toerags to come along and do it again? A concrete boardwalk along there would cost €10's of millions.

There’s no CCTV down there. I’d say the chance of catching the scum who did it is somewhere between slim and zero. And as for a €200K repair bill, that’s also very unlikely in the short term. A disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

how long did it take to build?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I do wonder what exactly has gone so wrong In our society to bring us to this sort of thing. And it’s not isolated.

My job includes managing maintenance of many public amenities and just this week we had public toilets smashed, bins vandalised and bouyency rings removed.
    Few years ago we had louts smash bottles into shallow water at a lakeside amenitie where public swimming lessons happen.

Then there’s the whole littering fly tipping problem. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭enricoh

In 2018 apparently it is not possible to deduct fines out of people's welfare payments. In 2018! At worst they will have to go to the joy for a few hours. So scumbags know there is no deterrent whatsoever. So they couldn't care less

enricoh wrote: »
    In 2018 apparently it is not possible to deduct fines out of people's welfare payments. In 2018! At worst they will have to go to the joy for a few hours. So scumbags know there is no deterrent whatsoever. So they couldn't care less

Assuming they are unemployed

https://www.gofundme.com/repair-drogheda039s-boardwalk

Only looking for €5K so that’s not going to get much done but I’ve made a contribution anyway. People power can fight back against these scrotes.

https://www.gofundme.com/repair-drogheda039s-boardwalk

Only looking for €5K so that’s not going to get much done but I’ve made a contribution anyway. People power can fight back against these scrotes.

I see you have a few councilor types donating money .Fair play to them. Public money. Why dont you use the 5k to pay a few tough eastern European types to kick the scrotes who did it up and down the boardwalk.

A commendable effort all the same.Hope it gets rebuilt soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

_Brian wrote: »
    I do wonder what exactly has gone so wrong In our society to bring us to this sort of thing. And it’s not isolated.

My job includes managing maintenance of many public amenities and just this week we had public toilets smashed, bins vandalised and bouyency rings removed.
    Few years ago we had louts smash bottles into shallow water at a lakeside amenitie where public swimming lessons happen.

Then there’s the whole littering fly tipping problem. :(

Vandalism and fly tipping is not a recent phenomenon unfortunately. It is a global phenomenon though so it's not just our society.

All our society can do is act responsibly and report what's known and try to rebuild what's broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭positron

I am disgusted by this.That boardwalk and Oldbridge were the only safe places for kids to cycle. Shocking.

If you have ever wondered what triggers vigilante justice groups... Well this just might be it.

Also disgusted by this. Genuinely turned my stomache when I heard about it.

Can't imagine it'd cost anywhere near 200k to fix, and I'm also not sure what the Fund page will achieve (giving 5k to boyne restoration committee? I don't think they'd even be allowed to touch the boardwalk as it belongs to Meath County Council as far as I know?).

But this is arguably the best thing to happen to the town in a long time (the boardwalk I mean, not the fire, obviously). I'd use it regularly and the amount of people who start out getting in shape down there, who go for walks to clear their heads, or just families that try to take the healthy alternative and go out for a walk or cycle to Oldbridge... it's such a slap in the face to everyone in Drogheda.

There's a serious problem with antisocial behaviour in Drogheda, and it's been let go time and time again, so the scummers are just getting ballsier and ballsier with every passing day.

As for people going out and forming vigilante groups? Sign me up! Clearly the Gardai haven't a hope of dealing with any of it. Nice people individually, but a useless organisation (much like the Judicial system - a joke at the best of times).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Fight crime with more crime and animals with lighters and matches committing crimes
    Thread is good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Are you saying there are actual scumbags outside Dublin? Who'd of the thought it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

There's a serious problem with antisocial behaviour in Drogheda, and it's been let go time and time again, so the scummers are just getting ballsier and ballsier with every passing day.

Yep, it's disgraceful. A group of girls were hanging out in the back fields behind me in Drogheda a few weeks ago. An hour later, all the bales were on fire. Scumbags

tedpan wrote: »
    Yep, it's disgraceful. A group of girls were hanging out in the back fields behind me in Drogheda a few weeks ago. An hour later, all the bales were on fire. Scumbags

And did you do anything about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Not a good idea to have it flammable . Scrotes will be Scrotes !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Autochange wrote:
    And did you do anything about it?

Of course, rang the gardai and fire services

tedpan wrote: »
    Of course, rang the gardai and fire services

I pulled a Stanley blade on a little knacker who through a pint bottle of cider through a neighbour of mines window. She's a lady who lives on her own. Last Halloween a different group were aiming fireworks at her house. Gardai were doing nothing so I took it into my own hands. Kid is only about 14 I'd say. He went pale and nearly started to cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Stanley knife stories are great.Tell us how hard you are again!!

Advertisement