Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirty, dreary, expensive, nothing to do

• 22-11-2019 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

If that is the answer, what is the question?

Wow check out this post by a poster called louis on broadsheet, LMDGA!

Let’s knock off the B.S. and try and be a bit honest here. Dublin as a capital is still a bit of a dump (not as bad as it was in the 80’s, but still a dump) Yes the nightlife is good, but strip that back and think about it objectively and critically, and pretty soon you realise that it’s not much better than Bucharest.

The problem with the city is that there’s a serious absence of civic pride, and I blame that on three parties (1) Central Government for lack of investment (2) City Council for lack of taste and intelligence (3) Locals who have this romanticised version of the “Dirty Old Town” and row against any suggested improvement (if there are any?)

There are lots that can and should be done to improve the place, the problem being that the likes of Failte Ireland are still flogging the same old horse they were flogging thirty years ago (the Book of Kells and the Ardagh chalice)

I’m sorry to have to say this, but Dublin is no better than a drab town in the north of England.

So let me make a few observations as a foreigner who’s lived here for a long-time.

(1) No one outside of Ireland gives two sh1ts about Easter 1916 or anything related to it as a tourist attraction.
    (2) Viewing The Book of Kells is Boring waste of time.
    (3) Templebar is a dive, and not even the locals bother with it.
    (4) The Guinness Store House is limited to people who like a drink and not for families. It’s also set in a fairly rough part of town, as was recently demonstrated.
    (5) The Poolbeg Chimney’s are not and never will be an attraction for a tourist, particularly for anyone who grew up in an industrial city, where stacks like that were a dime a dozen.
    (6) Leaving genuine homelessness aside, there’s a small battalion of professional beggars on the streets of the capital.
    (7) Placing an injection room facility near a “tourist attraction” is the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard. Please note I’m all for harm reduction.
    (8) The paving of the Grafton Street Quarter is nearly taking as long as the building of Berlin’s new airport!
    (9) One Luke Kelly statue was enough, two is overkill considering few people under fifty knows who he was, especially foreign tourists.
    (10) A city should be safe for tourists, yet the cops are strangely absent on the ground, particularly in the core tourist areas

So what do tourists want?

(1) Put simply they want interesting, entertaining things to do and see that are affordable. Dublin’s free museums are quite good, but could be so much better.

(2) Hire “Meow Wolf” and ask them to build a world class attraction like they created in Santa Fe. If you don’t know it or never been to it, check it out.

(3) Where’s the huge statue of Gulliver? Something so obviously missing from the city, it beggars belief? Build one, and put a miniature Lilliput around it…..and do it tastefully!

(4) And having dealt with one famous writer’s contribution to world literature, how about getting rid of that giant hypodermic needle on O’Connell street and rebuild the pillar with the viewing platform (yes it actually paid for itself) and put Oscar Wilde’s “Happy Prince” on it. If you don’t know the story, read it. And if the usual hard-leftie republicans kick-up ask them if they ever read a bedtime story to their little princesses (or taken them to see Frozen!)

(5) Refurbish the Rutland Fountain, its a disgrace that it’s left in its current condition. And if some half-witted architect graduate from UCD shouts “Pastiche” ….cover him in fox scent and send him to Shelbourne Dog Track on a wet Thursday in November :-)

(6) Demolish those eyesores on the Poolbeg peninsula and use the space for something truly breathtaking that could become a real symbol of the city.

(7) Make Halloween a true city-wide festival and market the hell out of it abroad…. the Bram Stoker festival is drab, characterless and boring.

(8) Build an opera house. It may not be my cup of tea, but seeing the opera lovers pile into your local omniplex and spending good money, means there’s a market. If anything it will add to the city.

(9) Same for ballet, there’s a market. If you build a ballet hall, they will come.

(10) Encourage people to live in the city, including the one’s with money. There are magnificent houses on Merrion Square, Fitzwilliam Square an even Mountjoy that are subdivided into small offices. Seriously, what an utter waste?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dublin reviewed by Brexit voters on holiday wondering why it's more expensive to travel these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Your ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If that is the answer, what is the question?

Pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Guess you're referring to the widespread slagging of Dublin at the moment over on the Mumsnet forum. Bored British housewives dont seem to like our capital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Thats the wording on my tinder profile

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Guess you're referring to the widespread slagging of Dublin at the moment over on the Mumsnet forum. Bored British housewives dont seem to like our capital

They had no problem coming over before they were married and getting pissed and riding all around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    They had no problem coming over before they were married and getting pissed and riding all around them.
    Yeah I miss them too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It hurts more because it's an accurate observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Muahahaha wrote: »

Most of them probably from UNESCO heritage sites like Coventry, Bolton and Milton Keynes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Yes Dublin is very expensive. Way too expensive.

• Advertisement

Rufeo wrote: »

That's mostly an issue for people that live there. Tourists should be well aware of the cost of holidaying here, similar to plenty of other expensive European cities.

Bangs of people expecting a cheapo holiday in backward Ireland. Like the retards that book a 2 star hotel and then go on TripAdvisor moaning that it's not a Raddison

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

Rufeo wrote: »

That doesn't stop Dublin being one of the most popular tourist cities in Europe. Why are there so many tourists in London and Paris if they are also so expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

There is always something to do if you have enough money.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

The state of your underpants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My two cents

Most tourists seem to go to dreary parts of dublin and ignore other nicer parts

By that I mean they congregate around

The north quays
    O connell st
    Abbey st middle and lower
    Mary and Henry st
    Parnell st
    Temple bar
    Dame st

And they seem to be in much less numbers around the “grafton quarter” and leeson/baggot area. Nicer areas if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just as an aside I’d take dublin over many many British cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Most of them probably from UNESCO heritage sites like Coventry, Bolton and Milton Keynes.

Yeah the weathers so much better. And the cuisine. And the locals are better looking too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So much dyed concrete everywhere in UK regional cities. Puke.

My two cents

Most tourists seem to go to dreary parts of dublin and ignore other nicer parts

By that I mean they congregate around

The north quays
    O connell st
    Abbey st middle and lower
    Mary and Henry st
    Parnell st
    Temple bar
    Dame st

And they seem to be in much less numbers around the “grafton quarter” and leeson/baggot area. Nicer areas if you ask me.

Or they decide to hit the bars and nightlife, make a beeline for Temple bar and then spend the rest of their lives in their home country complaining to everyone how they spent 7:40 € for a beer in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The weather is worse in northern England and stuff is more expensive in southern England in comparison.

The dirty part is fair enough.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm immune to Dublin because I live here but I think I can understand its charm to tourists objectively. And for many tourists, especially European ones, its actually not that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

On the upside to Dublin, Rosslare seems to be getting popular for visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They're probably annoyed by the fact that they were served mashed potatoes with their dinner instead of the smash you get served up to you in England.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And lets not forget Margate and Bognor Regis, pebble stone beaches with helter skelters and kiss me quick hats for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

My wife.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If we're pissing off mumsnet we're doing something right.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To be fair, it's a bit crap. Not much history, rubbish architecture, non unique food, very expensive hotels, ****e weather. All we have are pubs and our nanny State governments want rid of those for Vegan and Coffee places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Why are there so many tourists in London and Paris if they are also so expensive?

Because they have things to do and are not dreary? And you don't have a knackbag asking you for a euuuuuuuuuuro every two seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

To be fair, it's a bit crap. Not much history, rubbish architecture, non unique food, very expensive hotels, ****e weather. All we have are pubs and our nanny State governments want rid of those for Vegan and Coffee places.

No they don’t. Why are you so unrelentingly negative about everything? It must be very emotionally tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Another fooking Dublin bashing thread. Fook off and leave my lovely city alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Maybe I'm immune to Dublin because I live here but I think I can understand its charm to tourists objectively. And for many tourists, especially European ones, its actually not that expensive.

It probably seems a lot more expensive to the British now that sterling has been pulverized by Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not much history,

****e talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Everywhere in Ireland has amazing history. And the food we do produce (mainly meat) is of exceptional quality. 'Grass fed beef' is a high demand premium product in the States, here that's the base standard. Same goes for butter and cheese.

Many European capitals are much more expensive for hotels as well. Architecture is subjective, I do wish Dublin had a high rise portion of the city though. But that's more of an issue on the planning side of things.

It probably seems a lot more expensive to the British now that sterling has been pulverized by Brexit.

If I fancy going to Reykjavik, Stockholm, Oslo or Copenhagen for a trip, I make sure and understand what it costs and enjoy it. I don't land here and have a convulsion because its not as cheap as Albania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

It Does rain a lot here. We seem to have a lot of days where it just does not stop raining. Of course that will piss people off no end. We dont really show in failte ireland brochures what really the street scape will probably look like if you visit. Pissing rain with umbrellas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ittakestwo wrote: »
    It Does rain a lot here. We seem to have a lot of days where it just does not stop raining. Of course that will piss people off no end. We dont really show in failte ireland brochures what really the street scape will probably look like if you visit. Pissing rain with umbrellas.

That’s just this year which is markedly bad. All day rain is not that common in Dublin and it’s not a particularly rainy city in general if you look at the stats.

Dreary, boring, dirty....not the ‘fun’ durrrty....

Yeah, sounds like a Mumsnet poster alright. The kind of crotch scratcher who thinks they’re cultured because they have both red and white wine in their home...in cartons...in the fridge.

Those eejits wouldn’t know a good time if it gave them a root up their gaping holes.

Dublin’s great. We all know it, even if it almost kills some people to accept or admit it. Let’s not have another round of The Same Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Pubs in Dublin are world class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Temple Bar has made the city centre smaller for tourists. They don't think there is anything else. In the 1960s the city centre extended from the Greasham Hotel to Stephens Green. Now it ihas all been sucked into the Temple Bar/Guinness Storehouse black hole. The city centre needs to be expanded back to its traditional axis of Parnell Square to Merrion Square. Also there are not enough people living in the city center. Hence the dreary. No real life. The lack of high rise and no underground rail system all adds up to Dublin feeling like a Mickey Mouse town even though it's actually the same size as Amsterdam. The "Guinness Factory" sums up everything that is wrong with Dublin as a tourist destination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Knock Airport constantly has English women arriving in beach attire. I kid you not. The airport even keeps anoraks handy for them. These kinds of English tourists tend to be very unworlldly and don't understand overseas. Many of them think all airplanes all fly to sunny foreign. They have no sense of the complexity and diversity of the rest of the world even after they even visit places. It's a strange unique English attitude. I can't explain it but it exists and ninety percent of Mumsnet would be comprised of these types. I wouldn't take their comments to heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

Maple flooring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

That's mostly an issue for people that live there. Tourists should be well aware of the cost of holidaying here, similar to plenty of other expensive European cities.

Bangs of people expecting a cheapo holiday in backward Ireland. Like the retards that book a 2 star hotel and then go on TripAdvisor moaning that it's not a Raddison

Or Dublin being marketed as a great holiday destination. But once they arrive it becomes evident that it's a bit of a kip. We all know that it is. Defend it if you will as some sort of patriotism to our capital but it's a dump. SoZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Nothing to do? There's loads to do..even for free.

A couple of uncultured English people basing their whole weekend in temple bar will of course get ripped off and have nothing much to do aside from a pub and Leo burdocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah the genius of the one-liner on a head-nodding forum, smart-looking but ultimately vacuous. I got bored with the seriously poor cut and paste article. How Dublin is responsible for someone being cold and wet in December is a real mystery.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Nothing to do? There's loads to do..even for free.

A couple of uncultured English people basing their whole weekend in temple bar will of course get ripped off and have nothing much to do aside from a pub and Leo burdocks

That's the nothing to do bit covered . Even though you didn't give any examples.
    Now tackle the dirty, dreary and expensive.
    It's a kip. Admit it and move on

Blueshoe wrote: »
    That's the nothing to do bit covered . Even though you didn't give any examples.
    Now tackle the dirty, dreary and expensive.
    It's a kip. Admit it and move on

There's lots to do in Dublin - bars restaurants galleries, museums, churches, castles and old houses, parks etc. Tell me, what is there to do in the other small capital cities in Europe, what is there to see and do in Bratislava, Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen etc.? Is the weather any better in any of these places? I read recently that the rainfall is greater in Amsterdam is heavier than in Dublin, could be true?

Fritzbox wrote: »
    There's lots to do in Dublin - bars restaurants galleries, museums, churches, castles and old houses, parks etc. Tell me, what is there to do in the other small capital cities in Europe, what is there to see and do in Bratislava, Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen etc.? Is the weather any better in any of these places? I read recently that the rainfall is greater in Amsterdam is heavier than in Dublin, could be true?

Dirty dreary and expensive.
    It's a kip. But it's our kip.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Or Dublin being marketed as a great holiday destination. But once they arrive it becomes evident that it's a bit of a kip. We all know that it is. Defend it if you will as some sort of patriotism to our capital but it's a dump. SoZ

S'ok. You haz your opinion innit, fam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Brits were always tight arses neways :)

Mr.S wrote: »
    A bit covered, what does that mean, inside? We have a heap of museums, art galleries, pubs, restaurants, tourist attractions like the Storehouse, EPIC, Kilmainham Gaol - to name a few.

Only boring people get bored. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement