Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Django99 wrote: »
    A Russian journalist has tweeted that Khabib Tony will happen April 7th in Brooklyn.

https://twitter.com/adamzubayraev/status/952607325134651392

I said the night of Khabib's win over Barboza that they'd do Khabib v Ferguson next. Knew it.

Taisumov will be on that card also.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I know it's been done to death, and the above tweet is almost meaningless on its own, but I feel that this would make sense for everyone involved apart from Ferguson who would miss out on a McGregor payday if he loses.

McGregor - hasn't had an MMA fight for over a year and has by all accounts been enjoying his wealth to excess. He's back training at the moment but I would think he would prefer a few months to get back in shape and primed for an MMA fight. He is in no rush to fight, and rather than have these two potential opponents in a row, one can take out the other and a Diaz fight would be more natural regardless of the result of his next one.

Khabib - obviously would prefer the McGregor fight straight away, but this is the next best thing. He believes he is back to his physical peak, can make weight without issues, and wants multiple fights this year. With a Russia card in September he would be sure to get to headline against McGregor if he was to win this one.

Ferguson - I would guess that if they do this McGregor will be stripped. He could negotiate a good deal as champion, and again, would solidify his claim as Mcgregors next opponent should he win here.

UFC - if they strip McGregor, and make this the undisputed title fight, I think it could sell very well indeed (relatively speaking, nothing like 1m+ but definitely 400k+) Merely by their association with McGregor these two are becoming more well known. The build up could be very good. Better again, if McGregor is stripped the redemption story of coming back to regain the belt in July/August/September writes itself, and would be something I think he would thrive on. Dana says it's hard to be motivated to fight with the money he has, taking his belt away would be one way to spark some motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That fight should be epic but I wonder if it will be for the interim or real belt.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    That fight should be epic but I wonder if it will be for the interim or real belt.

It wouldn't bother me either way although I know it's important to a lot of people. I would guess the real belt, as I said above I think it would be good move to strip McGregor at this point, even for himself. He doesn't need a belt for promotion purposes, but if money isn't much of a motivator for him anymore, maybe a belt that he's never lost being taken away from him would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zero-Cool wrote: »

They wont strip Conor

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    They wont strip Conor

I didn't think so either as they see him holding the belt having a higher stock value, more eyes when he does come back. But Django makes a good point, strip him and watch the motivation come back. He is not a champ champ, he is not even a champ anymore at that point, that might get him going, good for everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If they don't it's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,061 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Conor being stripped adds legitimacy to Tonys belt, it also adds an element if Conor ever fights again.

Conor vrs Tony for the title he never lost, sells better than Tony vrs Conor for the title that should already be his.

No brainier for the UFC imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Defending an interim title while the full champion is, in theory, active would be nonsense.

From Ferguson's (and most reasonable people's) point of view, there are two options. McGregor defends against him or McGregor is stripped, he's promoted and he fights Khabib for the belt. The belts and rankings mean comparatively little and McGregor will always be the cash cow, but making Khabib-Ferguson without stripping McGregor would be a joke, as would bypassing Ferguson and making McGregor-Khabib as some have suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Did anyone else listen to Tyron Woodley on the JRE? Jesus I thought the long, free flowing style of JRE might suit him and I might hear a new side to him but I dislike him even more now. The man is a gimp. He's bitter, insecure, and does nothing but whinge. All he did was whinge that he's not a bigger star than he is.

Rogan continually pulled him on it aswell and he was just oblivious to how much or a whingey little b*tch he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

dulux99 wrote: »
    Did anyone else listen to Tyron Woodley on the JRE? Jesus I thought the long, free flowing style of JRE might suit him and I might hear a new side to him but I dislike him even more now. The man is a gimp. He's bitter, insecure, and does nothing but whinge. All he did was whinge that he's not a bigger star than he is.

Rogan continually pulled him on it as well and he was just oblivious to how much or a whingey little b*tch he was.

Like I said a few pages back I thought the opposite and thought he came across well, and I usually have no time for him. The whinging was a bit too much at times but I think Joe was a bit harsh on him at times too. He's definitely not as respected as Joe thinks he is and Dana throwing him under the bus a couple of times, while that's part of what makes Dana Dana, is still not good promotion-wise to be talking down one of your current champions.

It gets a lot better after the first half hour. I more enjoyed the insight into how he prepares for fights and how he breaks down his opponents skills and strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Like I said a few pages back I thought the opposite and thought he came across well, and I usually have no time for him. The whinging was a bit too much at times but I think Joe was a bit harsh on him at times too. He's definitely not as respected as Joe thinks he is and Dana throwing him under the bus a couple of times, while that's part of what makes Dana Dana, is still not good promotion-wise to be talking down one of your current champions.

It gets a lot better after the first half hour. I more enjoyed the insight into how he prepares for fights and how he breaks down his opponents skills and strengths.

Totally agree. Very enjoyable listening from about 30-40 mins onward.

Totally changed my opinion of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I actually only got about 40 minutes into it to be honest cos I couldn't be arsed with him. I'll finish it out this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 39,061 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No interest in listening to Woodley whinge.
    Danaher on JRE for me later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mellor wrote: »
    No interest in listening to Woodley whinge.
    Danaher on JRE for me later

danaher

my god his voice is so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so boring

I think he is literally a cure for insomnia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I found the woodley interview with rogan very interesting. The way woodley studies his opponents in such detail was fascinating.

Think woodley is an extremely underatted fighter by many fans in the mma world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

People are overstating the Woodley whinging. For a start, over the course of a long podcast, it goes on for a few mins. Secondly, he's not whinging. He says he's not liked, isn't prepared to do the kind of **** Colby Covington is, thinks it's a bit mad that being the champion of the world isn't enough to get him respect and dollars, doesn't understand why he, as champ, should jump through hoops or play the clown.

Thought it was thoroughly enjoyable and a real insight into his camps and approach to fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I like Woodley, can't stand Danaher. Woodley is definitely underappreciated, but I think he could legit challenge GSP's record. The man know's how to game plan, and up until recently was extremely active. I'd love to see him and GSP fight, but it won't happen because I don't think GSP thinks he can win.

Danaher is so full of himself, was painful listening to him try and take credit for nearly everything post GSP victory so I'll skip his interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Lukker- wrote: »
    I like Woodley, can't stand Danaher. Woodley is definitely underappreciated, but I think he could legit challenge GSP's record. The man know's how to game plan, and up until recently was extremely active. I'd love to see him and GSP fight, but it won't happen because I don't think GSP thinks he can win.

Danaher is so full of himself, was painful listening to him try and take credit for nearly everything post GSP victory so I'll skip his interview.

You talking about the same Woodley who didn't fight for a year and a half until he got a title shot after he had a two fight winning streak (one of which wasn't even a welterweight contest and a split decision)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I'm a bit surprised woodley is still champ especially when he was outclassed by rory mac
    he got his tactics spot on for wonderboy and maia so credit to him for that and he can put anyone away with one punch which robbie found out.
    I'm not a fan but similar to gsp he's winning ugly.

He will struggle with a more rounded fighter like dos anjos imo or the likes of usman who's going places.
    I'm not sure how colby will fare out and he gets hit far too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Beersmith wrote: »
    You talking about the same Woodley who didn't fight for a year and a half until he got a title shot after he had a two fight winning streak (one of which wasn't even a welterweight contest and a split decision)

He was promised one, and he made them stick to their word? So what, more fighters should have a backbone.

His title run including Lawler saw him fight at UFC 201, 205, 209 and 214. More or less every four months. He would have fought more recently had their been an actual challenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Him v Rory was over three years ago. He's too strong and skilled to be out-wrestled and while he has shown weakness to pressure in the past he's one of the most dangerous people in the sport to back up against the cage. The speed he can cover distance to land that big right accurately is insane. I think anyone who doesn't have the striking credentials of Wonderboy is going to get knocked out pretty quick. I would love if RDA beat him but can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Him v Rory was over three years ago. He's too strong and skilled to be out-wrestled and while he has shown weakness to pressure in the past he's one of the most dangerous people in the sport to back up against the cage. The speed he can cover distance to land that big right accurately is insane. I think anyone who doesn't have the striking credentials of Wonderboy is going to get knocked out pretty quick. I would love if RDA beat him but can't see it happening.

I think if rda can employ the same tactics as against robbie he could outwork woodley for five.

I never thought back then he would be good enough to be where he is, looked very good but then lost against jake by doing nothing and not pulling the trigger.
    He has improved so much no doubt about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I appreciate his skills but he ultimately is a super cautious boring fighter.

This would be amazing if true, I don't think 1 person would disagree, unless you were the man himself.

Supposed to be announced during broadcast of 220, if true.

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/953347766066937856

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Which would mean that even if Conor returned and fought the winner, he would continue the dubious honour of never having defended a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Which would mean that even if Conor returned and fought the winner, he would continue the dubious honour of never having defended a belt.

And also the first person to be stripped in two divisions.

If he does get stripped, I'm blaming the EA cover curse. Game releases 2nd Feb with Conor on the cover holding 2 belts. Game could release with him having no belts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I will be delighted if its true. Shocking how he has held up two divisions during his time in the UFC.

For me he is not a true champion. A true champion defends his belt. Obviously doesn't fancy any of tony or khabib and is chasing the money fights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement