Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Looks like the campaign to silence Dolly has worked! From 7 plays on the 19th to 0 yesterday 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sweet!!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Finally!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Just make sure you're not listening at the same time as DvB!! 😂

I have been listening now for the last hour or so, and some decent songs playing- Johnny Mathis etc. 🙂

Today seemed a bit better... Dolly wasnt heard once (yay!) I did however hear grandma got run over by a reindeer again... thats creeping into 2nd place on the 'not again' list for me this year.

Haven't heard either of the Robbie Williams tracks they played loads last year yet either (Time for change & cant stop Christmas) haven't hear the Blake Sheldon & Gwen Stefani or Goo Goo dolls ones either, and both were played regularly last year.

Its been an odd year on Christmas FM for me.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I heard Blake Sheldon and Gwen Stefanie track a few times this year. Which is good. Great tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It looks like no stone was left unturned with this entry in Wikipedia:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Feels like sleigh ride is on a couple of times an hour these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Finally heard Bing and Bowie this afternoon 😁😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Frosty the snowman has been on every half hour today if not more. So disappointing. The playlist rotation this year has been shocking. I wonder did the change of studio affect something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This might get me threadbanned ... eek... but I switched over to lyric fm for niall carroll then radio 1 for the driving home for christmas slot and now back to lyric for their jazz / swinging christmas concert.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I changed over to my own playlists a few times, even in the car as the playlist this year has IMO been the weakest i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I agree. What makes it worse is the kids absolutely love "the granny singing Holly Jolly Christmas" 🤦

I sank to a new low today. We were sitting in the car and they asked me to put on Justin Bieber's Under the Mistletoe. I agreed because I was fed up with what Christmas FM were playing at the time and I actually had managed to avoid him so far this year.

Also the less said about Christmas across the lands that’s been on since 6pm the better. 😡

I understand it’s Christmas Eve so they don’t want live DJs but do an automated playlist at least of all the hits.

Honestly reckon I'll listen in for the last hour or so on the 27th and that'll be it. Never listen on Christmas day or St.Stephen's day unless I'm in the car and I won't be this year.

Might listen in online for a bit on new years eve but outside that suspect I'm done with it for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

It has been very bad play list this year. I always listened in when I could I just didn't have the same interest this year because of the songs.

I actually don't mind Christmas across the Lands on Christmas Eve, especially since the DJ's come back to do the live broadcast on Christmas Day. It reminds me of dinner prep and anticipation of the big event

I agree that the songs have been much poorer quality this year. A lot more frosty, grandma and hippopotamussess and a lot less Bing, Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams etc. On the plus side, I didn't hear much of the footwear song this year. 😂

I'd love for them to choose an animal charity one day, because the funds would make such a huge difference to the likes of Dog's Trust.

For all my complaining I’ve had ChristmasFM since 12 today and the playlist has been cracking. All hits no repeats. Great stuff.

Yeah, they were on form today alright, and I always give kudos to anyone who volunteers their time on Christmas Day. 🙂

I only texted that in yesterday congratulating the volunteers. It must be amazing knowing you’re the soundtrack to a lot of peoples Christmas dinners.

• Advertisement

Hard to believe the airwaves go silent in just over 24 hours for another year... as much as I didn't think this years playlist was as good I'll miss it when it's gone.

Had ChristmasFM on again this morning walking the dogs and sorting the kitchen. Cracking playlist again today.

The reason I love ChristmasFM so much when they have live DJs is the texts messages. I love how it starts with people putting their tree up in November, to texting about Christmas shopping to travelling to loved ones for Christmas dinner. It’s like a snapshot into everyone’s Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I enjoyed it this year. They also seem to be doing fewer promotion of the song competition. I think I heard them talking about it early on? It's a nice idea but ultimately people not interested in the songs.

Outside of that, xmas fm is a great idea and I really appreciate having it there.

I heard the following songs just once on their FM run this year (so far - it's not quite finished yet!): The Little Drummer Boy by Bing and Bowie, Bryan Adam's Something About Christmas Time and Coldplay's Christmas Lights. I have not heard The Christmas Shoes by Newsong this year at all, which I was surprised at, as I usually hear it multiple times. Neither did I hear Once Upon a Christmas Song by Geraldine McQueen, although I think it had been getting less plays over the last two years.

Last day on the radio today, think they finish with the top 40 countdown and will likely then finish with Bing Crosby and its beginning to look like Christmas...

I'll be honest and admit I didn't enjoy it as much this year but will miss it in the car when driving back yo work next week.

Will continue to listen online until new years though, it's still Christmas after all 😉

I think I heard The Pretenders' 2000 Miles once. It's another song I would like to have heard more of.

Yeah it’s been a strange year for ChristmasFM when the station went live and the last few days the mix of songs has been great but during the main build up week to Christmas the song rotation was abysmal.

Still going to miss it terribly but will have it playing as much as I can until 1am New Year’s Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I heard the Christmas shoes today for the first time. That's a result compared to other years. Also agree on 2000 miles. It's a beautiful song.

Only heard Christmas shoes once this year, lowest count in a long time, that was one positive for this years playlist.

• Advertisement

Advertisement