Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

RTE on there website have being doing a Sunday Game team if players that were on Sunday games team of the year since 1978. It was voted on by Ty the public.

Bit disappointed Kerry only got 8 of the 15. TBH that's tongue in cheek. Delighted we got 8 we will not be as lucky with the Independent 202050 team . Biggest name Kerry player to miss out was Micky Sheehy.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0529/1143384-the-final-xv-football/

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

RTE on there website have being doing a Sunday Game team if players that were on Sunday games team of the year since 1978. It was voted on by Ty the public.

Bit disappointed Kerry only got 8 of the 15. TBH that's tongue in cheek. Delighted we got 8 we will not be as lucky with the Independent 202050 team . Biggest name Kerry player to miss out was Micky Sheehy.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0529/1143384-the-final-xv-football/

As great a player as he was not sure Moynihan should be the full back on the team he was a great player in the half back line but only really a good full back from my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Likewise, as the article suggests, Oisín McConville can feel aggrieved he wasn't selected, rather than Michael Murphy. We certainly can't complain about our representation, considering Tyrone, Dublin, Cork, Galway and Meath all had outstanding teams over the last 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

As great a player as he was not sure Moynihan should be the full back on the team he was a great player in the half back line but only really a good full back from my memory.

He probably shouldn't have won it at full back but he was footballer of the year at FB in 2000 and there was no all Ireland that year if it wasn't for him at full back, he was unreal there that year

• Advertisement

TBH a lot of fellas out of position. We probably got over represented. John O'Keefe was probably the best fullback I saw since the SG started. You can make the same for all the central position at CB and CF. Cannot imagine Keegan as great a footballer as he is to be a really teak tough CB, Connolly the same at CF. Matt O'Connor and Larry Tompkins were the two greatest CF I ever saw, But Moynihan TBF probably deserved to be on the team and would not have been out of place at CB.

We got 7 in the independent top 20. Jacko, Pat Spillane, Sheehy, Gouch, John O'Keefe, Maurice Fitz and Thomas O Se. I taught that was a good showing and it included Tomkin's and Matt O'Connor
    Kilkenny got 6 in the hurling

Slava Ukrainii

Stefan Okunbor speaks about his experiences growing up in Kerry - largely positive, but some racist incidents both on and off the field:

https://www.the42.ie/stefan-okunbor-kerry-geelong-5115283-Jun2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Adam Moynihan wrote a similar article in the Killarney Advertiser, spoke to a young Legion player Brian Okwute, well known local tattoo artist and soccer player Ozzy and Aaron Jackson who played basketball for Scott's last year.

https://www.killarneyadvertiser.ie/it-happens-all-the-time-killarneys-black-athletes-tell-of-shocking-racial-abuse/?fbclid=IwAR27gItiGMhFlyI_BF4j2Il420qiLEPwrWovViIOKVbm5nplMx8GR8FrU8A

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ok folks what is the county boards next move re competitions

Small window to play the games they should just keep it simple and run everything off in a straight knock out format

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

No time for county league anyway. Could they run senior, intermediate etc as straight knockout and just let the divisional championships be played at the end of the year?
    I spose it depends if fellas are comfortable going back playing or not

• Advertisement

Looks like its going to be the same format for the club football championships, group format with the top teams going forward so every team will get at least three games in the competition

Looks like the county hurling and football championships are going to be straight knockout

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Anybody in favour of scrapping the county championship in its current format, with the junior, intermediate and senior club championship is there a real need for the divisional teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Anybody in favour of scrapping the county championship in its current format, with the junior, intermediate and senior club championship is there a real need for the divisional teams.

Have you given that statement even a moments thought? Because if you have and you know anything about Kerry football then the answer is obviously yes, absolutely.

Divisions are what keeps the County championship as strong as it is, Divisions are what give every single club footballer from every corner of Kerry a chance to play against the best no matter what level his club play at or how they are going. Divisions mean the county championship is such a good proving ground for future county players. Anybody suggesting we shouldn't have divisions is either A)From one of the Senior clubs and wearing blinkers or B)Willfully ignoring the whole history of our SFC.

To give but 1 example: in 1996, Tom O'Sullivan failed to make the Kerry minor panel. By 2000 he was winning the first of 5 All Ireland medals with the Kerry Senior team...a huge reason for this elevation was his presence on the East Kerry team which won 3 successive SFC titles 1997-99. If he just had Rathmore (a Junior club up to 1999 I think) then would he have made it? I sincerely don't think so.

All that being said of course, this year extreme circumstances may mean that there just may not be time to play things off as they normally would be, so who knows what format the board will propose.

Any suggestion divisions not be a part of the SFC will be correctly, met with ridicule though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Not a hope.
    The county championship with divisional teams is one of the reasons Kerry have been so successful. It gives every player a chance if good enough to play senior championship and they can still give it their all for their club. There are counties that have tried divisional sides but have failed because there is no tradition there. I think ourselves and Cork are about the only counties that have it.

Just like you hear complaints from other counties about club teams from Kerry in the junior and intermediate being in Division 1 of the county league. They don't understand the system that championship is championship and you have to win to go up a grade and not be placed there just because you are promoted in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's not without a few quirks and issues, but I love the County Championship and the buzz of coming up against a stacked divisional team as a club. You see so many unreal players that you would never see otherwise as they might play for tiny clubs at the other end of the county too.

The other point about divisional teams us that it forces county underage management teams to look at all players. This was even so more before when younger players could play adult games and minor was U18. No minor management team wanted to be knocked out of the All Ireland championship and 3-4 weeks later a young fella from a Junior or Novice club give a few Intercounty players a roasting at a championship match. It happen a lot in other counties where smaller clubs underage players never get look at under age management selected from senior clubs are too busy filling up CB and CF positions with players from there own clubs

Slava Ukrainii

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's not without a few quirks and issues, but I love the County Championship and the buzz of coming up against a stacked divisional team as a club. You see so many unreal players that you would never see otherwise as they might play for tiny clubs at the other end of the county too.

Indeed - my own club of Churchill has had a few players over the years on minor, U-21 and junior county panels, but probably wouldn't have come to the attention of selectors at all if they hadn't been in Brendans' squads.

I am not against it, I was just putting it out there for discussion and now taking it back in straight away.

I would rather see a straight knock out but that is just my own preference.

Provisional fixtures
    First 3 weeks looks like been for the club championship to finish after SFC on Oct 11 and Oct 18.
    SFC to begin on Aug 30 with qf the following week, sf Sep 20, Final Oct 4
    SHC Aug 23, SF on Sep 13, Final Sep 27

Now all they have to do is allow us to go in and watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Remaining Inter-county Senior fixtures (all going to plan)
    1. Sat 17th Oct NFL Monaghan v Kerry (Inishkeen)
    2. Sat 24th Oct NFL Kerry v Donegal (Tralee)
    3. Sat/Sun 7/8th Nov MSFC Semi-Final Cork v Kerry (PUC)
    4. 22nd Nov MSFC Final
    5. 5/6th Dec SFC Semi-Final
    6. 19th Dec SFC Final

• Advertisement

First round of County Championship (straight knockout):

St Kieran's vs South Kerry
    Dr Crokes vs Austin Stacks
    St Brendan's vs West Kerry
    Dingle vs Templenoe
    Kenmare vs Shannon Rangers
    Feale Rangers vs East Kerry
    Mid Kerry v Kilcummin
    Legion vs Kerins O'Rahillys

Hurling Championship:

Lixnaw v Abbeydorney
    Ballyheigue v Ballyduff
    St Brendans v Kilmoyley
    Causeway v Crotta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

First round of County Championship (straight knockout):

St Kieran's vs South Kerry
    Dr Crokes vs Austin Stacks
    St Brendan's vs West Kerry
    Dingle vs Templenoe
    Kenmare vs Shannon Rangers
    Feale Rangers vs East Kerry
    Mid Kerry v Kilcummin
    Legion vs Kerins O'Rahillys

SK
    Crokes
    WK
    Dingle
    Kenmare
    EK
    MK
    Very hard to call but I'm going to go with Legion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

East Kerry should really be winning again with last year's experience under their belts and the addition of Rathmore to their ranks.

Will Rathmore be good enough to bounce straight back up to senior also?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    East Kerry should really be winning again with last year's experience under their belts and the addition of Rathmore to their ranks.

Will Rathmore be good enough to bounce straight back up to senior also?

If East Kerry don't win it with the addition of Rathmore it will be a serious failure.

East Kerry will have 6 county men (one in every line)

Shane Ryan
    Paul Murphy
    Jack Sherwood
    Liam Kearney
    Dara Moynihan
    David Clifford

What will be the real killer is the strength of quality they have after that - they have a wealth of quality in terms of non-county players.

Selectors will have some craic putting together a starting 15.

Rathmore are definitely good enough to bounce back up but it's by no means certain they will. Intermediate is a minefield. If Rathmore don't go back up senior and East Kerry do win the county championship, I can see there being serious calls to split East Kerry in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

Jeez guys, where’s everybody gone?

Club scene. Anyone to beat Crokes?
    What has happened to Rathmore at Intermediate?
    Any county guys out with injury?
    Anyone new putting their hand up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Crokes are gone way back I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

Did the intercounty u20 finish this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

keane2097 wrote: »
    Crokes are gone way back I think

How so? They have already beaten Rahillys and Templenoe. Kenmare will be a big test for them.

Shane Ryan is a massive loss to Rathmore outfield by the looks of things. I’m assuming he is making the sacrifice to help improve his goal keeping skills for inter county level so that has to be applauded.

In saying that, the likelihood of there being an inter county competition this year looks like a non runner.

Advertisement