Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite XC "Heat" Discussion thread ** Will Contain Spoilers **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Yet more from Meltzer:
    Nothing has been said to the live crowd about the main event. This has changed six times in the last several hours, but as of this moment, the scheduled main event is not happening. Frank Shamrock is still at the announcers desk and at this moment is getting ready for a stand-up but as of 15 minutes ago was awaiting word if the commission would allow him to do the main event or if Slice would accept him as a new opponent. Petruzelli's match with Aaron LaRosa hasn't happened yet because Petruzelli is also a possible opponent for Slice.

Kimbo would look like a real pussy to the casual fan if he didn't accept Frank as an opponent. That fight would be so great. This is total pro wrestling :D

Oh the drama!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

If Kimbo accepts either Seth or Frank i would be impressed. I think it would do a lot for his credibility as a fighter. His trainers and management have to know that EliteXC could be in serious trouble after this so it's either not fight, loss some credibility when you have talked a lot about how you just love to fight or fight, gain some respect and make the chances of getting into the big time that bit higher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Absolutely. 2 of the biggest names in the sport in terms of casual fan recognition, this could screw them.

I talking more on the business end, this maybe the last EXC show ever if a flop.

rovert wrote: »
    I talking more on the business end, this maybe the last EXC show ever if a flop.

I know. That's what i meant as well. If they don't have a main event then I don't know if Arlovski would be enough to hold the interest of a casual fan. And that could really hurt them.

• Advertisement

This is getting exhausting:

Meltzer:
    Nothing has been said to the live crowd about the main event. This has changed six times in the last several hours, but as of this moment, the scheduled main event is not happening. Frank Shamrock is still at the announcers desk and at this moment is getting ready for a stand-up but as of 15 minutes ago was awaiting word if the commission would allow him to do the main event or if Slice would accept him as a new opponent. Petruzelli's match with Aaron LaRosa hasn't happened yet because Petruzelli is also a possible opponent for Slice.

In the arena right now they are showing the Kimbo Slice vs. Tank Abbott match.

Live reports are saying that they're showing videos of past fights in the arena rather than live fights. Petruzelli was due to be fighting now, so it looks like they're stalling it to see if Kimbo will fight him

MMAJunkie says that ringside production people have Kimbo vs Petruzelli graphics on their computers

If it was a choice of Petruzelli or Frank Shamrock for Kimbo, the smartest option would have to be to fight Frank

Fozzy wrote: »
    If it was a choice of Petruzelli or Frank Shamrock for Kimbo, the smartest option would have to be to fight Frank

Id say it will be Seth. He's trained, licensed, in shape and in the correct weight division.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Live reports are saying that they're showing videos of past fights in the arena rather than live fights. Petruzelli was due to be fighting now, so it looks like they're stalling it to see if Kimbo will fight him

MMAJunkie says that ringside production people have Kimbo vs Petruzelli graphics on their computers

Do you think? Frank's head movement alone would cancel out Kimbo's striking.
    Petruzelli does seem to have a penchant for fighting the larger dudes though.

Id say it will be Seth. He's trained, licensed, in shape and in the correct weight division.....

And a no-name fighter who could easily beat Kimbo. Although he'd be a better choice than Aaron Rosa I think

• Advertisement

And a no-name fighter who could easily beat Kimbo. Although he'd be a better choice than Aaron Rosa I think

I personally think Kimbo would beat Seth on the feet. But Seth is TUF alumni making him more recognisable than, say, James Thompson, to the average viewer, which is enough to be worth a punt to keep Kimbo on the card. Kimbo fighting anyone is better than no main event.

Think about it, this is the safe option. Frank would murder Kimbo and as such destroy EXC's big investment. this is the safer option for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I've been thinking about this and I now think that EXC should just bin the Kimbo fight. Sometimes promoters have to make hard decissions and this is one of those situations. For two reasons:

1. Whoever you find to fight probably has a better chance to beat Kimbo than Ken did. So in one stroke you could be completely destroying your number one draw. Why bother?

2. All of this frantic searching for an opponent just to make a match makes them look like clowns. Any casual fan sho is used to UFC will just view EXC as a bit of a joke. Especially if Frank were to end up fighting Kimbo.

So just take the hit and ditch the Kimbo fight. Sure it might hurt the ratings but what they should do is open the show with Kimbo and Ken and a doctor explaining what has happened. Kimbo is so fragile as a draw that it would be madness to do anything else. And surely CBS would understand the situation?

And even if they didn't, EXC is still so much more viable with an unbeaten Kimbo than with a Kimbo that has just been beaten by Frank Shamrock or some heavyweight dude that most people have never heard of.

I personally think Kimbo would beat Seth on the feet. But Seth is TUF alumni making him more recognisable than, say, James Thompson, to the average viewer, which is enough to be worth a punt to keep Kimbo on the card. Kimbo fighting anyone is better than no main event.

Think about it, this is the safe option. Frank would murder Kimbo and as such destroy EXC's big investment. this is the safer option for them.

If Frank won they could do Frank vs Ken. That'd be huge

I read a report saying that a Kimbo vs Petruzelli graphic was shown in the arena, so it may be official. That fight's got so much less appeal to me than Ken or Frank!

I read a report saying that a Kimbo vs Petruzelli graphic was shown in the arena, so it may be official. That fight's got so much less appeal to me than Ken or Frank!

That's also true but Frank vs Ken would be huge regardless so this is the safe mans bet. I'm not gonna stay up for this now. I'm gonna hit the hay and watch in the morning.

For sure!

Apparently the Cyborg/Takahashi fight was great. Spoilered in case they show it during the show:
    Cyborg just delivered a beating and Takahashi somehow hung on for the whole fight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I can't wait to hear what Dana White says about this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

that was ****in shockin (the main event that is)

rovert wrote: »
    Tito Ortiz and Hulk Hogan ARE the building tho.
    woooo232 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

What do have to say now? Mauro even mentioned they should have gotten him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

bombidol wrote: »
    that was ****in shockin (the main event that is)

I would have expected Seth to take the fight. Just not so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Poor quality (but good enough) available on Dailymotion at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

www.mmascraps.com is yer only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

this was a bad bad bad loss for slice no matter how you look at it he lost to a guy on the undercard in 13 seconds and was cut by him to boot. as the commentry said rocky is in the buliding . I wasnt a value for money fight at all but who doesnt love those moments :D but in fairness both lads showed some class at the end

Haha i'm delighted! The right hand shocked me because Seth had one leg in the air so i wouldn't have expected a jab with one leg of the ground to drop anyone. Kimbo's chin has to be called into question on that evidence. He was classy indefeat to be fair to him.

Ninja v Radach was great. At one stage they booth dropped each other. Even though Ninja was landing Knees to the body I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before Radach was gonna KO him because he seemed to be waiting his time and Ninja as usual was far too open.

I thought the ref let Arlovski off. On the bottom in side control with your opponent working a kimura is not usually a spot where you see a stand up so in that regard he was lucky. However on the feet he looked awesome and he really peppered Nelson when he had his chance. Dunno why Nelson complained about the stoppage, he was done.

Carano's striking looked great, haven't seen the Cyborg fight but a fight between those 2 would be a real slugfest and ggreat for womens MMA.

Shields v Daley was a great striker v grappler matchup. Jako looked like he gassed a bit in the second and he really needs to train more standup but he did a great job in getting the win. Daley as always looked crisp on the feet but his fear on the ground cost him as I think he was shy of attempting escaapes out of respetc for Shields grappling skills.

That was somethin else. I'm not surprised that Petruzelli won, I'd been saying that it was a bad idea for Kimbo to take that fight. The funny thing is how they went on about how one of Kimbo's supposed strengths was fighting guys who he didn't know anything about

I loved the way Frank opened the show, still clearly building for that brother vs brother fight

The Ninja vs Radach fight was the best I thought. Some of the striking in the first round was very sloppy, yet it was still great

Carano did decent enough, she always ends up fighting a bit better than I thought she would

Nelson! He should have been more aggressive when he got Arlovski down because he could have easily finished it from there. He did win that first round (no idea what the commentators were doing saying that Arlovski easily won it) but my hopes for him faded in the second. That fight apparently cost Affliction over a million dollars

Daley was just outclassed by Shields. I didn't think that there'd be that much of a gap between them. Shields is the best fighter in the company yet I don't think that he's got over with the audience at all

And then Seth Petruzelli defeated EliteXC within seconds

Here's the video, don't know how long it'll stay up for:

That fight apparently cost Affliction over a million dollars

Really? Have you any more info on that?
    Daley was just outclassed by Shields. I didn't think that there'd be that much of a gap between them. Shields is the best fighter in the company yet I don't think that he's got over with the audience at all

Shields is in a league of his own when it comes to Jiu Jitsu guys in EXC. My worry for him would be his stand up. I wasn't surprised he dominated Daley on the floor. He's awesome. But he certainly didn't outclass Daley on the feet. He really needs to get better at striking because being an elite level grappler with mediocre striking will only get him so far...

Really? Have you any more info on that?

Arlovski earned $750,000 for beating Ben Rothwell at the Affliction show. The Wrestling Observer reported that he was due for a "substantial increase" in pay for the second fight on his contract, which would be a seven figure number if he won. Perhaps they convinced him to take a lower rate of pay in exchange for the exposure that he'd get on TV, but even with that the total cost could still be over a million dollars when you take Nelson's pay into account

Well, Entertaining it certainly was - the pinnacle of MMA skills it certainly wasn't.

I was impressed with Daley - he put on a bettr show then I thought he would be able to. I see Shields wants to move up to MW - makes sense really as there is not much left to test him at WW in Elite

Arlovski, idk man, he showed again that under pressure he doesn't do his best work. I will be betting on Barnett if that still goes ahead now after seeing that.

And as for Kimbo losing. I have no problem with Kimbo himself, the guy is just making his living but yeah, to see Jared Shaw screaming at the ref was some proof of just how much they had built that organisation around him.

• Advertisement

RNCFAN wrote: »
    Arlovski, idk man, he showed again that under pressure he doesn't do his best work. I will be betting on Barnett if that still goes ahead now after seeing that.

The plan is Fedor vs Arlovski for the next Affliction show. Barnett said that he turned down a fight with Fedor

I'm really interested in seeing what effect Ken not being on the show affected the rating

Advertisement