Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of James Bond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Even with Skyfall they were swerving back towards the lighter tone though, people responded to the nostalgic nods and they doubled down on it in Spectre. The trend of having everything connected personally to Bond is just ridiculous at this stage, he's become a Harry Potter esque chosen one.

Seems to be a thing now. I love Star Trek but the new one is driving me nuts. Everything connects back to the main woman everything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Seems to be a thing now. I love Star Trek but the new one is driving me nuts. Everything connects back to the main woman everything

I don't mind it so much in that, it bothers me with Bond more because Bond isn't meant to "special" he's just the best man for the job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't mind it so much in that, it bothers me with Bond more because Bond isn't meant to "special" he's just the best man for the job.
    Exactly. And the job should involve ridin'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Dades wrote: »
    Exactly. And the job should involve ridin'.

Absolutely.

My James Bond is a lady killer, pure and simple.

He has a license for pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Galore

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

God I hope they make him gay just for the laugh. I would find it a bit jarring but it would be worth it to see the internet explode

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

God I hope they make him gay just for the laugh. I would find it a bit jarring but it would be worth it to see the internet explode
    What do you mean by this ‘ gay ‘ ?

Bond still chase pussy though ! !

blinding wrote: »
    What do you mean by this ‘ gay ‘ ?

Bond still chase pussy though ! !

Attracted to and bedding only other men

To be honest I don't.

James Bond is a typical heterosexual Alpha Male.

He is not Gay.

I don't want a Jessica Bond either.

brevity wrote: »
    Galore

Plenty :P

• Advertisement

To be honest I don't.

James Bond is a typical heterosexual Alpha Male.

He is not Gay.

I don't want a Jessica Bond either.

I see Bond the same way but I also really enjoy watching people get wound up and losing their s*** over trivial things so ide get a laugh out of it if it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Tom Hardy in Inception sold me on him playing Bond. He has everything you'd want in a potential 007. Handsome, can be slick, has the physicality, plus he can actually act. Much more naturally charismatic than Craig who I was never overly fussed on, he always seemed a bit sour and disinterested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Save me from the myth of the "Alpha male"; funny how the origin of its use - the dominant "alpha" in wolf-packs - was debunked ages ago by the very author who penned it - yet its use in the English language persists to justify or contextualise "horny, aggressive a$$holes" in humans :)

In any case, I wouldn't call Bond particularly Alpha: he is, as M put it once, a blunt instrument and tool of Her Majesty's Government. Were Bond a true Alpha / Lone-Wolf / Beautiful Violent Snowflake he wouldn't be a lowly 00, but the man in charge directing the poor chumps to their death ;)

That's not to demean the franchise as less than they are - Power Fantasies in fiction have their place; but then maybe I'm just not as constantly horny as others are outing themselves here. Perhaps I don't get the appeal to the same degree as those poor deprieved souls ;)

*gets coat* ;)

I see Bond the same way but I also really enjoy watching people get wound up and losing their s*** over trivial things so ide get a laugh out of it if it happened

Dream on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I know you only joking ~ ~ Bond just chase bad guy and pussy ~ ~ No more joke from you now ! !

I liked the line in Skyfall that hinted that he'd had dalliances with the same sex.

Haha see people are already getting hot about it and it's only some ejit like me making a joke about it. It would be glorious

We could at least meet half way and have a trans bond girl or something. Theres some pretty hot looking ones round nowadays

I liked the line in Skyfall that hinted that he'd had dalliances with the same sex.
    Haha see people are already getting hot about it and it's only some ejit like me making a joke about it. It would be glorious

We could at least meet half way and have a trans bond girl or something. Theres some pretty hot looking ones round nowadays

I could not allow these attempts to exploit the conversation get away lightly.

I recent read Brett Easton Ellis's new novel "White", which is an interesting commentary on the modern world and his perception of it. You may or may not be aware that Ellis is a somewhat bi-linear homosexual, insofar as he has had predominantly male partners ,over say the last last 20-30 years, but never really identified as being strictly "gay" as such. He has had female partners also, regardless ,I am more interested in his musings from one of the chapters of his book where he spends a number of pages drooling over the acting achievements of Richard Gere.

In the book he makes no secret of his admiration for Gere and speaks of him in both a highly sexualised manner, as only a gay man could genuinely interpret. The early 80's certainly found Gere at the ascent of his acting prowess and Ellis discussed ( at length ) his performance in American Gigolo.

I found it intriguing how a gay man might see the portrayal of a male heterosexual prostitute in early 80's culture. I won't spoil your read, but I would advocate both of you to pick it up if the opportunity arises, a fascinating book all told.

When you break down 007 you do actually find many many receptors which would raise the eyebrow of the modern gay man. For example, his innate style and sophistication, are both heavy signals of modern gay stereotypes. His bachelor lifestyle in a trendy underlived city apartment. His distinct drinking and eating routine(s). His attire. His precision. All these traits are definite qualities admired by a gay man. Which leads me to fully assess your urgency of aspiration for Bond to somehow reveal potential homosexual leanings?

Therein lies the great ironic paradox for me, insofar that his sublime exquisiteness is actually a trait which leaves the average gay man drooling over. His fast car, his looks and most importantly ... his very unavailability. The simple fact that Bond does not swing to the gay leanings leaves gay men biting the table and crying into their pillows at night. Therein lies the very chagrin of the modern gay man, the unavailability of the straight heterosexual male.

I could not allow these attempts to exploit the conversation get away lightly.

I recent read Brett Easton Ellis's new novel "White", which is an interesting commentary on the modern world and his perception of it. You may or may not be aware that Ellis is a somewhat bi-linear homosexual, insofar as he has had predominantly male partners ,over say the last last 20-30 years, but never really identified as being strictly "gay" as such. He has had female partners also, regardless ,I am more interested in his musings from one of the chapters of his book where he spends a number of pages drooling over the acting achievements of Richard Gere.

In the book he makes no secret of his admiration for Gere and speaks of him in both a highly sexualised manner, as only a gay man could genuinely interpret. The early 80's certainly found Gere at the ascent of his acting prowess and Ellis discussed ( at length ) his performance in American Gigolo.

I found it intriguing how a gay man might see the portrayal of a male heterosexual prostitute in early 80's culture. I won't spoil your read, but I would advocate both of you to pick it up if the opportunity arises, a fascinating book all told.

When you break down 007 you do actually find many many receptors which would raise the eyebrow of the modern gay man. For example, his innate style and sophistication, are both heavy signals of modern gay stereotypes. His bachelor lifestyle in a trendy underlived city apartment. His distinct drinking and eating routine(s). His attire. His precision. All these traits are definite qualities admired by a gay man. Which leads me to fully assess your urgency of aspiration for Bond to somehow reveal potential homosexual leanings?

Therein lies the great ironic paradox for me, insofar that his sublime exquisiteness is actually a trait which leaves the average gay man drooling over. His fast car, his looks and most importantly ... his very unavailability. The simple fact that Bond does not swing to the gay leanings leaves gay men biting the table and crying into their pillows at night. Therein lies the very chagrin of the modern gay man, the unavailability of the straight heterosexual male.

I ... I just liked a line in a movie.

I ... I just liked a line in a movie.

Which one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

loyatemu wrote: »
    The Hardy rumour seems to be doing the rounds, it would be unusual for them to cast someone already so well known. Craig was a minor movie actor, Moore and Brosnan were best known for TV, Dalton for stage acting; Connery was a bodybuilder and Lazenby a male model. Hardy's not quite A-list but he's a lot more famous than any of the previous Bonds.

Tom Hardy is way too short to play James Bond.

His official height is 5ft 9 but he looks more like 5ft 6.

The character of Bond is suppose to be at least 6ft tall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jack Reacher was supposed to be 6' 5" - didn't stop them casting The Cruiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Dades wrote: »
    Jack Reacher was supposed to be 6' 5" - didn't stop them casting The Cruiser!

That was a very controversial choice.

The new Jack Reacher is suppose to be 6ft3.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9288030/?ref_=ttrel_rel_tt

• Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The producers have said this last week that they are looking for an actor that can play Bond for the next 10 to 12 years so I’d say then they are looking for someone from their mid 30’s early 40’s.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For what it’s worth.. Paddy Power are going with…

Rege-Jean Page 13/8

Henry Cavill 3/1

Tom Holland 3/1

Idris Elba 7/1

Jack Lowden 8/1

Taron Egerton 8/1

Oscar Isaac 10/1

The very short odds on page are interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think the real target should be to hire some decent writing talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,638 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Idris Elba for two movies is what I'd like now.

That gives you plenty of time to find the next long term Bond.

John Boyega would be a good choice if you are looking for somebody long term.

If you go with Elba for two then you could go with Tom Holland after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

A gritty period piece seems like the easiest play to me, and Cavill would be the clear runner for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bingo. Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes was a one-two punch of talent far higher than "James Bond" could have ever hope to nab; but the scripts were often real stinkers - especially the last two. Craig's overall run became increasingly bloated by over-written stories using the inane trope of "it was all connected after-all!!".

As to the news about contracts? Makes sense, even if it puts to pasture any idea of the series maybe indulging in some once-off Bonds for a while. And also suggests the likelihood the new Bond will be a relative unknown - couldn't see a busy man like Idris Elba being tied down for 10 years. Think I said it before, but the question remains about where this series goes now? Especially given it has never been a trend-setter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

He's way too old, his chance is gone.

Page is a possibility, but based on past castings the next couple on the list are too famous already (they're not A listers but they're well known film-stars). They don't need to cast a big name, Bond is already a big name.

Advertisement