Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this tyre safe?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Might be due up soon for its service. Semi states should have an operation based on mileage of run hours. Maybe ask him if its coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’d never replace one tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

what's your spare like? If it's better, I'd stick it on and keep this for an emergency .

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Rockfish wrote: »
    Company van, wanted to get anew tire, Boss said no, its fine. Thread depth is juts below 3mm so legally ok but it looks very worn along the edges. is he being unreasonable?

NZKSFVR

https://ibb.co/NZKSFVR

If it's a company van & especially semi state,do you not have to fill the daily walk -around sheet?
    Mark it as a defect & report it to your fleet manager. If you're the only driver,it's your responsibility & not your bosses opinion that counts.
    Cover your own back first.
    Tyre looks like it was underpressured.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

If you're driving a commercial vehicle for work, you're probably completing a daily vehicle checklist. Note your concern on that and tell your boss. Keep noting the issue until it's sorted. If you're stopped by a garda, show them your checklist history, likewise in the event of an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I’d never replace one tyre
    So if you put four new tyres on your vehicle and then one suffers catastrophic damage the following day, you'd replace all four tyres again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

waste of time reporting anything. boss alread showed you they dont care.

i would find an quiete road somewhere on your normal route and let the air out then drive for a bit the inside of the tire will be ruined and the tire fitters will condem it.put a nail in it and put on the spare . then tell your boss you got a puncture on the motorway and couldnt pull in for a few hundred yards due to the road being narrow and unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Seve OB wrote: »
    Heaven forbid someone spills a few nails and you accidentally drive over them

I wouldnt bother, it will look intentional
    Too late now, but Id have discreetly recorded that conversation, and put it in writing too.
    for someone pottering around locally,Id say it could be ok,
    Id replace that on my car, and for a work vehicle, definitely.

But I would not pay for it myself, report it in writing, make note of highlighting it, keep records. drive with consideration of the tyre.
    Putting the spare on sounds like a good idea, if its ok.

I dont know how a business can take the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

Company van, wanted to get anew tire, Boss said no, its fine. Thread depth is juts below 3mm so legally ok but it looks very worn along the edges. is he being unreasonable?

NZKSFVR

Bring your van to a tyre centre and seek their advice. If tyre is bad and van is in an accident Gardai will hold on to van.

Get two tyres , hate mismatched tyres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So if you put four new tyres on your vehicle and then one suffers catastrophic damage the following day, you'd replace all four tyres again?

Clearly they meant replace at least 2 at a time.
    In your example, if the tyres are brand new, obviously it would be perfectly fine to replace a damaged one with an identical one but in the ops case, the tyre in question is nearing end of life and so surely both tyres should be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mickdw wrote: »
    Clearly they meant replace at least 2 at a time.
    In your example, if the tyres are brand new, obviously it would be perfectly fine to replace a damaged one with an identical one but in the ops case, the tyre in question is nearing end of life and so surely both tyres should be replaced.
    Relax - it was tongue in cheek as they used the word 'never'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Get two tyres , hate mismatched tyres

his Boss won't let him buy one, how will he get two?

Isambard wrote: »
    his Boss won't let him buy one, how will he get two?

His boss needs to do what he’s told , health and safety polices trump gob****e tight boss relics from the past

Get a report from a tyre fitter in the tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

His boss needs to do what he’s told , health and safety polices trump gob****e tight boss relics from the past

Get a report from a tyre fitter in the tyre

I think the idea of a boss is that you do what he tells you not the other way around. Faux outrage aside the most the op can do is record it on his driver's sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

NZKSFVR

No it’s not safe, the tyres are the only thing holding you on the road.

No it’s not safe, the tyres are the only thing holding you on the road.

Health and safety tells the boss what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Health and safety tells the boss what to do

Which, by the letter of the law, this tyre passes. I wouldn't use it myself but I've been lucky with work vehicle owners, unfortunately the op hasn't.

Advertisement