Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this tyre safe?

Options
  • 25-02-2021 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Company van, wanted to get anew tire, Boss said no, its fine. Thread depth is juts below 3mm so legally ok but it looks very worn along the edges. is he being unreasonable?

NZKSFVR

https://ibb.co/NZKSFVR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hard to know without seeing but if there is excess wear on the edges then it should be replaced imo rather than just going on the thread depth. I'd also be looking at what is causing the excess wear, could be under/over inflation or worn suspension but it sounds like your boss isn't interested. Did he/she actually see the tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

By the book i'd say it's NCT/ CVRT passable, in reality though, it's well past it's best. I wouldn't be wild about it by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looks dead and is going to need to be replaced soon any way so for the sake of a few quid your boss is either a tight arse or doesnt give a crap or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hard to know without seeing but if there is excess wear on the edges then it should be replaced imo rather than just going on the thread depth. I'd also be looking at what is causing the excess wear, could be under/over inflation or worn suspension but it sounds like your boss isn't interested. Did he/she actually see the tyre?

Oh ya he measured the depth it with English 20p coin
    By the book i'd say it's NCT/ CVRT passable, in reality though, it's well past it's best. I wouldn't be wild about it by any means.

Not wild about it myself, if it was my own private car id be changing it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No way I'd drive a van with that tyre. Can't stand that penny pinching by a boss at the end of the day it's you the driver who'll get hassle from the cops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Whocare

Rockfish wrote: »
    Company van, wanted to get anew tire, Boss said no, its fine. Thread depth is juts below 3mm so legally ok but it looks very worn along the edges. is he being unreasonable?

NZKSFVR

https://ibb.co/NZKSFVR

In eyes of law it perfectly legal nct a car few months back with tyres like that centre ¾ of tyre with about 2m . If I was you I just forgot about it you report it .there nothing more you can do . Is company having money problems I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Puncture it then has to be replaced

CoBo55 wrote: »
    No way I'd drive a van with that tyre. Can't stand that penny pinching by a boss at the end of the day it's you the driver who'll get hassle from the cops.

Tyre is legal so there going to be no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Getting hassle form the Gardai would be the least of my worries. I'd be more concerned about safety.

I say it depends on company if company is doing well tyre like that need replacing asap I be well annoyed going around with tyre like that But on other hand if place is struggling to keep in business the tyre is legal and just keep a eye on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Puncture it then has to be replaced

Was gonna say the same :pac:

Either that or crash the van and say I told ya so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Don't go over 50km/h
    And when your boss is wondering why you are gone longer than normal, tell him or her you don't feel safe driving any fast on that tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Whocare wrote: »
    Tyre is legal so there going to be no hassle

Barely legal, anyway there's more than legality to consider here it looks very worn on the outside and I'd say its performance on a wet road would be poor at best. Can't stand that messing with tyres, it's all you have at the end of the day. Luckily anyone I ever drove for, vehicle and driver safety were top priority. I'd be writing it down on my work sheet, not happy with offside front tyre, request to get it replaced denied by (person's name). Is the spare any better? Maybe use that instead.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Barely legal, anyway there's more than legality to consider here it looks very worn on the outside and I'd say its performance on a wet road would be poor at best. Can't stand that messing with tyres, it's all you have at the end of the day. Luckily anyone I ever drove for, vehicle and driver safety were top priority. I'd be writing it down on my work sheet, not happy with offside front tyre, request to get it replaced denied by (person's name). Is the spare any better? Maybe use that instead.
    It up to op if want to walk over it .boss told him it legal what more can OP do ? Quit I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That tyre is fine when it comes to tread depth, looks like 4mm or so. It is however excessively worn on the outside because of toe-in - the suspension would need to be corrected.

Money is def not an issue, its a semi state company :) Im going to get onto union rep, i just wanted confirmation that its not safe, that i wasnt being overly fussy, not long in the job

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Heaven forbid someone spills a few nails and you accidentally drive over them

grogi wrote: »
    That tyre is fine when it comes to tread depth, looks like 4mm or so. It is however excessively worn on the outside because of toe-in - the suspension would need to be corrected.

No its just under 3mm actually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Legally speaking, it's all right.

From a grip/safety point of view...I don't like it. Looks like it's worn unevenly and, even more interestingly, looks like there's more wear on the outside than on the inside, which should not be possible given how suspension are supposed to work. Clearly something needs to be adjusted in the setup.
    Moreover, the surface of the rubber, although it's somewhat harder to tell from a photo, looks hardened and "glossy", which usually mean a very old tire...

Whocare wrote: »
    It's not a Mercedes van by any chance .as thay have problem with outside tyre wear

No, Ford connect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Driver is responsible for the vehicle they take onto the road. It may be just about legal but it could certainly be the difference between having an accident and not on a very wet road so you therefore should drive with care.
    Id be recording in writing that you have reported tyre as being near end of life.

Rockfish wrote: »
    Money is def not an issue, its a semi state company :) Im going to get onto union rep...
    If in a semi-state, submit a risk assessment and request that it be escalated by a safety rep. (Most companies are required to have safety reps. Even if they are 'tick box' appointments, a risk assessment often concentrates the mind.)

(Not really a trade union matter as it doesn't affect your terms and conditions of employment).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

(Not really a trade union matter as it doesn't affect your terms and conditions of employment).

If it could cause an accident then it most certainly would affect his terms & conditions. An employer has a responsibility under health & safety to protect their employees.
    I would get an opinion from a tyre outlet or someone competent who can physically examine it.

Cerco wrote: »
    If it could cause an accident then it most certainly would affect his terms & conditions. An employer has a responsibility under health & safety to protect their employees....
    Yes, a health and safety matter - not a trade union matter. That is not to say that a trade union wouldn't take it up.

(I was a trade union branch secretary for 15 years. Much of what members think is a matter for their union actually isn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

I'll just link this post which quotes Michelin's position https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/michelin-changing-tyres-3mm-unnecessary-costly-harmful-environment/

That tyre is at a level where it is at peak fuel efficiency and dry breaking performance, outside thread does very little hence the focus on the centre 75% and on many brands the outside thread is shallow to begin with.

Tails142 wrote: »
    I'll just link this post which quotes Michelin's position https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/michelin-changing-tyres-3mm-unnecessary-costly-harmful-environment/

That tyre is at a level where it is at peak fuel efficiency and dry breaking performance, outside thread does very little hence the focus on the centre 75% and on many brands the outside thread is shallow to begin with.
    That link was interesting until I got to this bit. What a ridiculous analogy!
    A consumer would not throw away his shoes just because they need cleaning, or the tube of toothpaste which was half full, so why would he do this with tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

That tyre is below the legal limit on the edge and thats all it will take for a picky garda to issue a fine + points and you being the driver will be punished not your boss.

IMO i would want that replaced very soon, no matter company car or personal vehicle but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Could be the lighting but the inside of that tyre looks more bald the the outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

That tyre is below the legal limit on the edge and thats all it will take for a picky garda to issue a fine + points and you being the driver will be punished not your boss.

IMO i would want that replaced very soon, no matter company car or personal vehicle but thats just me.

The legal limit is 1.6 mm across 75 % of the tyre width.
    No reason for a garda,picky or otherwise,to have an issue with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Follow your instinct man, if you think it's unsafe it probably is. I won't leave it too late if I were you.

Advertisement