Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deathloop

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really you can only choose one as the game isn't the same without Shift 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Cordell

True, and for me the second one is Karnesis, and I never touched them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Aether and Nexus for me the majority of the time. Most roofs etc were easy enough to climb without needing Shift (and oftentimes trying to see where you'd land with shift was a bit of a nightmare). Never bothered with Karnesis or Havoc at all, I went pure stealth as much as possible. Taking out groups of enemies with one nail due to Nexus... sublime.

By the end I was only switching Aether to Shift for Aleksis' party to make it easier to get into position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So for those who have this, is it worth it? Is it worth all the big scores it's getting? Probably pick it up Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am still waiting for it to grab me, I am almost certain it will but I probably need to give it a proper session, I do think some of the annoyances mentioned above about UI etc are true but if I get used to them over time it'll be a minor gripe.

I have all lined up waiting for me to break the loop this evening :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Loop broken. Enjoyed the game a lot on the whole, although perhaps just ever so shy of peak Arkane for me. While I enjoyed the final loop, throughout the game I couldn't help but wish the game gave the player a little more leeway to put two-and-two together themselves. There are satisfying moments of discovery here, but compared to the peak exploration or 'information' games it definitely lacks that incredible sense of figuring out the big secrets or something major finally clicking into place. But there is fun to be had gradually lining up the dominoes for that one final push, even if the final push is very overtly spelt out for you.

The game is definitely more willing to make you completely overpowered compared to Dishonoured, which I do think works to its benefit. Towards the end when you have a few special weapons loaded with purple trinkets you'll be absolutely mowing through enemies - far more so than Dishonoured, Deathloop almost seems to prod you towards the chaotic path. Stealth is fine, especially when you finally have a decent slab and trinket setup (the hack from great distances trinket is hilariously overpowered), although with a couple of exceptions - such as the party - I often found it more efficient to simply let all hell break loose and pick off the dumb AI in a localised area.

Not entirely sure whether I liked or disliked the looter shooter element, although I'm perhaps leaning towards the latter. It was very satisfying to find one of the orange tier weapons by solving the puzzle attached to them. But the nature of the other random drops meant there was a whole lot of junk thrown the player's way. For example, I held off on the library and arsenal sections until later in the game... but in the end just found a bunch of generic weapons that weren't a patch on the ones I'd had for hours.

It's a good game overall with plenty to like. If it fell just a little short for me it was because it's doing some of the things a few of my favourite games from recent years are doing, just without the same level of trust in the player. But as a different spin on Arkane's brand of the immersive sim, it's a solid mix of the familiar and the refreshing.

I nearly wish more than anything that there were multiple ways to break the loop. Just one or two more options where you can gather different people into different configurations/locations.

Yeah I went stealth pretty much the entire game. Never even used Havoc or Karnesis until playing as Juliette. Aether, Nexus and Spiker gun. Probably made things take longer, but Nexus in particular made it so damn satisfying taking multiple enemies out with one shot.

• Advertisement

Stealth is definitely viable, although I found the nail gun I had (which tagged enemies in the area) was just a bit too inaccurate to be wholly relied on. Might have a look for other silenced weapons as I’d like to do a silent party run.

In contrast, I had two incredible shotguns to pick from and the incredible dual pistol / assault rifle combo weapon. They’d pick every enemy off with one shot. Just felt like the quickest way to clear a room or area, especially since the alarm systems usually seemed localised rather than level-wide.

The biggest issue I had with the nail gun was just that if I was using aether and was invisible, so was the sight on the gun, making it a lot harder to aim. But even then you're practically invisible when peeking over something anyway so it was usually the viable option.

Ha, I ran into that invisible sights issue as well during my final run, was an absolute pain!

I do think the ending was pretty underwhelming:

Played through the perfect loop twice to see two of the different ones and while neither was great I much preferred the ‘don’t kill Juliana’ option. The two bantering for eternity seemed oddly apt to me. The ‘kill Juliana and break the loop’ one seemed far less satisfying, although I believe that’s considered the ‘good’ one 😅

I’m actually confused now which endings are considered ‘good’ and ‘bad’ - from what I was reading online the one I liked more wasn’t considered the ‘good’ one 😅 Will have to try the third one to see if that settles it 😎

I went for the same ending without knowing there were different endings. I was prepared to have it fail and have to start the loop again (which wasn't an issue seeing as how easy it is by the end). Reading the other endings, I'm happy with the one I chose. Just felt like the right thing to do.

Yeah…

Killing Juliana felt sort of odd with the whole daughter angle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Like Dishonored, what i recognise as a great game just isn't hooking me. This has a great story, characters, time loop mechanic, action and even though I'm really enjoying my playtime with it and unraveling new leads, i just find myself wanting to play other games. Sometimes I'll go to play this and think nah. I wish i was into it more but i think I'll sell it while i can still get good cash for Alan Wake / Far Cry 6.

I had to look it up - is this what passes for gaming journalism these days? Well, in that case I'm glad I stopped watching any of them, the last one I followed was Totalbiscuit.

But they're not too wrong either, this is not a 10/10 game. It is a very solid 8 and probably GOTY 2021 but that's only because this particular year wasn't too good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Indie gaming has been amazing this year. So far no triple A game this year should be going away with any GotY awards when indie games have far eclipsed them.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone could call Girlfriend Reviews "journalism". As much I enjoy some of their videos, they're just a bit of fluff.

I don't think I could call Deathloop GOTY either. It's a quality game, extremely well designed and a lot of fun to play, but I also think it can be a bit forgettable. It's not too challenging, enemy AI is disastrous, menu UI can be annoying and as I said before, I think they missed a real trick in not having a few different paths to breaking the loop.

None of those are major issues, but they do just knock the game down a little

*Lots* of great smaller games, but Monster Hunter Rise would be vying for ‘GOTY’ status for me honestly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That was my point exactly - if it wins any GOTY award it will be for lack of competition, and not because it's such a great game. But as far as AAA 2021 games go, it's the best so far.

Hmm, by the same standard I wouldn’t really class Deathloop as AAA. It’s clearly not a FIFA or Call of Duty or even a Sony first-party ‘premium’ title. By design I’d say it’s actually a smaller and more focused game than Arkane has done before. That said, I do think the game suffers from not being entirely indie as well, in order to please a larger audience - so it has to make compromises in terms of trusting the player where the likes of Outer Wilds were much braver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

thought the GF review was fairly on point tbf, as stated above they are a bit of fluff and nothing really to be worrying about but they do tend to raise good points in their videos.

ive played a few hours and like someone else stated above its just doesnt pull you back in which is odd because its not a bad game at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hope I still have GamePass when this eventually gets back to MS and Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

this reminds me a bit of bioshock 2, use guns and powers or perks ,most enemy ai is bad until you face the other main character.1960s type buildings and design.You can listen to audio logs to understand the story and characters .i think the level designs and graphics are fantastic ,makes a change from the standard military shooter set in 2021 .i,d love a no one lives forever remaster .theres 4 maps played at different times of the day,but the maps are very complex with lots of routes to travel through the level. i think the script is very clever and witty with a wide range of characters with different personalitys i think its one of the best designed games i have seen, with builds you can approach from various angles, stand on the roof top,s ,go in through a window , and it has beautiful detailed graphics, i think its clever how all the enemys have an icon

over them showing what weapon they are using .this would make a great film as the story is very complex and has a wide range of characters to defeat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

i'm slowly making my way through this . iv no idea how they gave it 10s . its a very good game but no way in hell a 10 . not even sure is it better then dishonored 1 or 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I finished this at the weekend and am currently on my second playthrough. I loved it to be honest. I wouldn't give it a 10 but I'd definitely give it a 9 if I was rating it. The setting is fantastic, the characters are interesting and I found the gameplay to be always fun. I liked the structure of it as well. It felt like a game I could play in relatively short bursts which kind of suits my playing habits at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I would give it an 8 or 9 out of 10, it's got replay value, as you can use a combo of different weapons and powers each loop if you want . It's nice to see an Aa game with 2 main characters who are black instead of the usual standard white dude it uses tricks from other games like the splinter cell hints on a wall writing i think Cod4 or metal gear 3 would be examples of 10,rated games i think it would be great if they could release extra maps as dlc with more characters to attack and a higher level of enemy ai to make going thru levels more challenging eg enemy's with extra powers or weapons that do, nt just stand around or run at you instead of using cover or using grenades I think the levels are very well designed with options to travel high low or across the roof tops

• Advertisement

She's right from the game design point of view but since she got technical and she's also a industry pro, I'd wish that she would clarify better that there's no AI in games, only state machines - she kind of does explain it, but not quite clear enough.

The lore explanation for the bad AI is quite clearly a band aid for poor design. It's kind of an insult that arkane expect us to be dumb dumbs and accept it. Saying that, red dead 2 is still highly regarded by some 🤪

I don't dispute the general points she made, but I think they brought the enemy AI down too low. I think especially given the small maps (and only 4 maps at that), the player's familiarity with that will kick in after a few loops, meaning at that point the enemy AI as it is becomes trivial. Better enemy AI would have prolonged the challenge without it being too difficult for new players to learn the loops.

There are plenty of tools and powers at the player's disposal to help deal with enemies. They didn't need to be so dumbed down to that extent.

I never said she did in the video. But as I said it's obvious Arkane are using it as an excuse for their bad AI coding. Arkane aren't going to come out and say I'm right but 'the AI isn't bad it's actually because of story' is lame whatever way you look at it.

I agree with her, Arkane have proper "AI" implementations that they used before, so what we're seeing here are actual design decisions. They wanted to be easy to leave conflict and mind the important objective rather than managing both. I personally find it frustrating to do both looking for clues or trying to solve a puzzle while also keeping an eye for some random NPC that finally caught up with me.

Well I don't. There's ways of making AI dumb but also fun and engaging without being annoying or noticably lacking. The Thief games on PC prove that and Arkane know this considering the amount of Thief and Looking Glass alumni working with the company. No excuses.

1. Played a little of it. Not bought it yet. Watched a friend play a good bit. The bad AI isn't game ruining but it does stand out.
    2. https://www.thegamer.com/deathloop-ai-sensitivity-chase/ Pretty much explains it there. While the author is an apologist, I'm certainly not.

It feels more like a late/early 90's/2000's PC FPS AI. And again Thief showed how it could be handled well and they've most of the team that made the Thief games at the studio. Not the first time lore has been used to paper over dodgy coding/limitations, if you read the manual of Super Mario Bros there's an excuse for turtle shells bouncing off off screen scenery but not killing off screen enemies.

Wow, that's some unwarranted saltiness!

1. So? I played a little, seen a good bit of it and the AI was poor enough that it stood out like a sore thumb. I doubt the AI is going to get better if I played more of it.
    2. Fair enough. Can't find anything when I look but there's a lot of articles I read that have said this. Maybe it's from Arkane, maybe they've come up with it themselves. It still doesn't excuse the fact that the AI is just noticeably bad. Thought it would be more interesting if they did try to explain it with lore.

I almost completely played stealth, so the enemy AI in Updaam at night never seemed that different to me. One or two times I was caught there, just planted myself in a small room, mowed most of the enemies down as they just rush in blindly, then legged it. But again, by that point in the game, you're so used to the maps that getting around the enemies or knowing where best to escape to was just simple.

The biggest area I had trouble in was Frank's place early in the game because of the Classpass thing. But that's not due to enemy AI, but just not being able to use slabs.

1. Again so what? The AI is still bad from what I've seen and it's the common consensus. That hasn't changed. I haven't read a review that hasn't mentioned it let alone praised it.
    2. I already said I can't find anything directly from Arkane but Arkane are hardly going to say that. Anyway Eurogamer seem to come to the same conclusion with the AI's voiced lines and behaviour when not in an agressive state perhaps giving justification so I guess I'm not the only one. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-12-deathloop-review

Anyway, just thought it would make for interesting discussing but you are just getting way too defensive about the game.

• Advertisement

At least we can all agree that this game is a love it or hate it type of game.

I played about 2 hours of it. And in those 2 hours and what I'd seen from it, it was quite obvious the AI was a bit lackluster. So what's the issue here? Am I right about that or am I wrong like every publication that I read that came to the same consensus.

As for the second point I said I couldn't find anything from Arkane when I went back to look. I guess I took it was something a bit more concrete since a lot of the reviews and people on twitter I follow had similar opinions and I could see it myself when I played it from the enemy dialogue. Maybe my opinion was coloured from reading those reviews. Maybe instead of saying obviously I should say it's very likely in my opinion.

Anyway thinking about it there's no way that Arkane will say anything along those lines considering they are deep in a PR cycle. Perhaps in a few years time more will come out about it.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I did recently stick up for Resi 4 and Metroid Prime that the stiffness of their controls is by design. Maybe the simple AI is lackluster. Could be by design, development pressures or hardware limitations. But I also wouldn't take Alanah as gospel either. I think there is evidence of both, and there's a lot of dumb stuff the enemies say in their flavour text that can't be ignored and there are a lot of creative devs that worked on Thief at Arkane that used the same tricks on Thief guards.

I didnt play the tutorial. Purposely didn't start from the start as I knew like all new games it would be a two hour tutorial. So jumped in and messed around and my friend guided me a bit. And it's pretty obvious from that the AI is lacking. My friend brought it up before me.

As for Alanah's video I totally get what she is saying as well about dialing back the AI. If you make the AI too good it's not fun so you dial it back until it's fun. Had to do it myself in my own game projects. What stands out to me about the AI and why I call it bad isn't that it's dumb. It's that it's that it doesn't add to the game, the firefights just aren't that fun and can be exploited pretty easily. It's like the balance it wrong and it's an after thought to the rest of the game.

On another note, you'll find that the interpretation of art isn't just based on what the people that created that art have said or documented. There is an academic process where you analyse the evidence and create discussion about it and being totally dismissive doesn't help that discourse.

Also if you read my posts, I never said arkane flat out said they were justifying the dumb AI. I came to that conclusion from what I saw and heard in the game which was probably coloured by reading what other journalists were saying.

Honestly don't know where I was in the story and didn't care. I was just messing around getting a feel for it. My friend wasn't all that far in it either. Never said anything about the adaptive difficulty. Only really had the chaining ability which was fun.

I liked what I played. The ai stood out as being a bit basic but I was enjoying it all the same and it's something I will play eventually.

Honestly I think Alanah is going on just as much assumptions as I made. I mean there's no concrete statements from Arkane to back up what she is saying either and she is just going on her intuition from how she knows game design goes. I'm going on the same thing. I'm not going to go looking for her direct quotes and references as she is doing exactly the same thing I'm doing. I feel both view points are interesting and worthy of discussion until they can be refuted.

Also you've yet to show where exactly I said arkane lied or anything like that. You are taking my quotes out of context. Read them again please without your confirmation bias because I said no such thing. I'm making assumptions based on the evidence I've seen and never said anything but.

There is definitely a lore reason to explain the AI of the general grunts in the game, both through the enemies knowing they're in a loop and there being no consequences (so it doesn't really matter if they live or die as they'll come back to life the next day), and a lot of the enemies are drinking/drunk due to the hedonistic lifestyle they're living due to being in the loop.

I would say that counts as Arkane using the lore of the game to explain the enemy AI. Either way, I think it stands that just because Arkane explained why they balanced it that way, doesn't mean people can't say they think the balance is off. Even small changes like when you override a turret, if enemies took cover or tried to flank or grenade it more, rather than running right in front of it and shooting at it.

I really don't think you need more than 2 hours to come to the conclusion the AI is lacklustre. It's really obvious. My friend had only gotten the game the day before so hadn't that much time to play it. I was just messing about in a snowy area and a kind of a city bit. I just wanted a feel for the game so wasn't paying attention.

As for Alanah, I dont want to belittle the point she is making making because it's equally valid but I'd you want to bring up credentials Alanah isn't a dev. She is a writer for Santa Monica. Ive finished a game design course and had a project published and I was brought on to that project because nobody on the team knew how to do the AI for it. Wasn't exactly fps AI code but I did a state machine got character pathfinding.

As for arkane 'forgetting' to code AI, it would be stupid to claim otherwise. Most balance and issues that crop up in games aren't because the devs are incompetent but usually due to publisher and release pressure. No game is sent out complete. If anything it's more than likely they ran out of time and balancing the enemy AI took a hit.

Also just last night Jim Sterling came out with a review and said that the AI was explained by lore.

Well you can choose not to believe that I haven't played it if you want as it's suiting your confirmation bias. I remember getting killed by someone that locked me in a gas chamber. I know I did.

As for what a writer does as part of a game dev team, they do a lot but they aren't coding and definitely not coding AI systems.

I've also answers your last question already but you keep at it. I already said I'm making assumptions based on the evidence I saw. Same as Alanah. I won't find a quote from Arkane, I explained that but I also don't need one for analysis.

Starting to feel like Colt in the loop reading this thread...

I'm bored of it as well. Phantom pain, you've obviously made up your own mind about the whole thing and it's boring since you aren't even willing to even discuss it.

• Advertisement

Whoever said this game couldnt be Speedrun, there's a Speedrun of this already down to less than 20 minutes.

Advertisement