Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Returned to the game after a break as I was getting burned out with all the backtracking in chapter 14.
    I decided to give the infamous pull ups a go and now my body's trembling lol

I beat it in about 25 minutes but I'd be lying if I said it was a satisfying win rather than a 'thank goodness I don't have to do that again' win.
    It's actually not as bad as people made out but it is very unfair and ill balanced. The trainee and amateur ones were very easy but the pro really exposes the problems with it. You have to pray that Jules stumbles at the last moment so there's a bit of RNG involved there because you can do absolutely everything right with no stumbles and he can still win or draw. You then have to hope you get the most agreeable button prompts as well. I turned off all sound too apart from effects which really helped.
    It's trickier for older people; in my youth my reaction time would have been much better.

25 mins is pretty good! The weird thing for me was that I was getting absolutely nowhere for ages, but when I beat him I absolutely blew past him somehow.

Some more news today for FF7 fans:

and this one almost skipped past me!

EDIT: Holy crap....FF7 is doing a battle royale mode :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

haha jesus christ, the milking of FFVII is far worse than predicted... feckin hell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The yuffie stuff looked really good.

No PC announcement yet. At least on PS5 they look like they've fixed up the parts that looked **** on the PS4 version.

That's also Weiss from Dirge of Cerberus in the trailer so looks like they are doing very different story stuff from now on. Tbh I only care about the combat at this point, want to see some more of that Chrono Trigger style dual tech stuff like where the spear guy throws yuffie up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The yuffie stuff looked really good.

No PC announcement yet. At least on PS5 they look like they've fixed up the parts that looked **** on the PS4 version.

That's also Weiss from Dirge of Cerberus in the trailer so looks like they are doing very different story stuff from now on. Tbh I only care about the combat at this point, want to see some more of that Chrono Trigger style dual tech stuff like where the spear guy throws yuffie up in the air.

All they had to show to be an improvement was the door to Clouds apartment :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surely this is just 1.5 the Yuffie stuff. Cant say I'm too excited, she was never my favorite character in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

This is available free on PS Plus next month.

I see the creators of the game got the pronunciation of Yuffie wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

This is available free on PS Plus next month.

Good line-up of games, Remnant is an excellent game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I see the creators of the game got the pronunciation of Yuffie wrong.

Don't think so..

You Fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Don't think so..

You Fee
    Ah yes...Duffie

Dooooooo Fee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Ah yes...Duffie

Dooooooo Fee

:D that's how I pronounced it too.

But YouFee is how it's pronounced in the live action movie and in the voiced games.

https://youtu.be/GTyK-ow1-a0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ever Crisis looks like it would be an incredible single player game but the fact that it's mobile means they will ruin it with MT.

If it's more like FFXV mobile edition I'll be all over it. It looks gorgeous and the character portraits are *little chef kiss*

To me Ever Crisis is their way of saying that the compilation games are going to be required reading for the remake games.

The next part of the remake looks like it's going all in on building off of Dirge of Cerberus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why can't they just ignore dirge. It's absolute scutter.

Personally I'm excited to see them cram as much sh1te as possible into these games lol.

Particularly looking forward to the reactions when Gackt comes back. He's going to be a boss fight in at least one of these games and people will cack themselves

I've long gone past the angry teenager who's pissed off at all the new stuff ruining the game, honestly the unpredictability of it makes it more fun. It's all stupid in the end and there's always the chance they might rehabilitate the crappier compilation titles and work that stuff in more neatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

In all seriousness, this is a lovely 15 hour game at best stretched out painfully thin over 35 hours +. I know some here love the nostalgic aspect and I'm not trying to take that away from you but let's be honest with ourselves: It really did not need to be this long.

I honestly think most people I know feel the same way. Loved how it looked, thought it dragged on forever.

As soon as I finished remake I went through the original again, and got through Midgar in an afternoon. The pacing of that section was far better in the original too.

We've seen it with this and the last of us II last year - AAA games with massive budgets feel like they have to hit a 30 hour campaign minimum to justify the price tag. I totally get wanting to provide value for money, but there's other ways to do that - or they could just charge 30-40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

McFly85 wrote: »
    I honestly think most people I know feel the same way. Loved how it looked, thought it dragged on forever.

As soon as I finished remake I went through the original again, and got through Midgar in an afternoon. The pacing of that section was far better in the original too.

We've seen it with this and the last of us II last year - AAA games with massive budgets feel like they have to hit a 30 hour campaign minimum to justify the price tag. I totally get wanting to provide value for money, but there's other ways to do that - or they could just charge 30-40 euro.

The vast majority of people disagree with you.

I'm also playing throouhg the original now and the idea that you could just do a one for one replacement of that game with better graphics and it would fly these days is ridiculous. It worked at the time - and still works really, it's still a great game - because of the limitations of the hardware. You can fly through an emotional scene in 30 seconds because you're dealing with cartoony sprites.

With the graphics now, you need to flesh out basically everything or it becomes a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I got the platinum with total play time of 102 hours. I usually can't stand padded games and give up on them if they're wasting my time but loved (almost) every hour of this. Getting all the dresses trophy was a pain. Saying that, don't think I'd play again until the ps5 version and that would mostly be for the dlc. Hard mode is a great playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

OhHiMark wrote: »
    The vast majority of people disagree with you.

I'm also playing throouhg the original now and the idea that you could just do a one for one replacement of that game with better graphics and it would fly these days is ridiculous. It worked at the time - and still works really, it's still a great game - because of the limitations of the hardware. You can fly through an emotional scene in 30 seconds because you're dealing with cartoony sprites.

With the graphics now, you need to flesh out basically everything or it becomes a joke.

I never said that you could take the Midgar section of the original, glow it up an expect it to be better than the remake. I think that the story of Midgar is told in a better way in the original, there's no bloat, and you quickly move from one area to the next. It would in no way stand as it's own game. It's an introduction to the setting, story and characters and it works well as that.

Square decided to basically take that introduction and make it it's own game. That section in the original can take about 4 hours, but just because you're telling the story through cutscenes as well as gameplay doesn't automatically make it a 30 hour game. If you did that the game would at best still be a sub 10 hour campaign.

Square had to add loads of things into it to stretch the story into a 30 hour game. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. By the time I hit chapter 13 it really started to drag for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

McFly85 wrote: »
    I never said that you could take the Midgar section of the original, glow it up an expect it to be better than the remake. I think that the story of Midgar is told in a better way in the original, there's no bloat, and you quickly move from one area to the next. It would in no way stand as it's own game. It's an introduction to the setting, story and characters and it works well as that.

Square decided to basically take that introduction and make it it's own game. That section in the original can take about 4 hours, but just because you're telling the story through cutscenes as well as gameplay doesn't automatically make it a 30 hour game. If you did that the game would at best still be a sub 10 hour campaign.

Square had to add loads of things into it to stretch the story into a 30 hour game. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. By the time I hit chapter 13 it really started to drag for me.

I think they did it the right way. Once they chose to make a single game in Midgar it needed to be done like this. And making the entire remake as a single game wasn't an option.

The only part of the game that I thought dragged was the bit with the moving crane hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OhHiMark wrote: »
    The only part of the game that I thought dragged was the bit with the moving crane hands.

The crane hands were ok I thought, but the sewers were the worst, especially when done twice :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The cranes were bad, the sewers were worse (x2), but HoJo's lab is probably one of the worst levels I've played in a major videogame since sometime around the Xbox / PS2 era.

The cranes were bad, the sewers were worse (x2), but HoJo's lab is probably one of the worst levels I've played in a major videogame since sometime around the Xbox / PS2 era.

Agreed, there are plenty of places that just pad for the sake of padding.

There are definitely parts I think that help a lot of the game "growing" up. I like the mission to Jessie's house, I like the idea of walking through sector 8 after the explosion (but the ruin it with flashbacks straight away) and I personally like the idea of "hubs" like sector 7 slums and wall market. But the chapter where you're on the way to reactor 5 is the first point where you really feel they are making you work for this, and then Hojo's lab is ridiculous.

But Zero-Cool has the right idea, replaying on hard mode is much more fun because you spend more time on the fun part.

I'm still not a fan of the ending but I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying the debate between episodes happening while people try to decipher it. Reminds me of people trying to figure out what the hell was happening in season 1 of Lost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Really? Worse than the insanely stupid sliding parts of Jedi Fallen Order?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

fixXxer wrote: »
    Really? Worse than the insanely stupid sliding parts of Jedi Fallen Order?

The contest isn’t even close :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I love how having the whole game set in midgar, and the argument was, people always wanted to see more of midgar, and the only real difference between OG and remake midgar is the dungeon padding.. The only new section they do add really is when you go to Jesse's house and even then that isnt that much..:rolleyes:

Then its just littering the sectors that were already in OG with tedious fetch quests, and most people lapped it up, it blows my mind how far standards have dropped..

Although it's a very uneven game I think Cyberpunk 2077 paints a very cool picture of what a fully committed 'Midgar' set game could have been like in terms of setting. Playing that game on a 30XX card you can really see where they put the work in.

As it is there's not a whole lot of difference as said above between the pre-rendered one in 1997 and the 3D one today. It's the same tiny little areas that you're being funneled through, only now you can look up at a very grainy pre-rendered background that doesn't blend in well at all with the 3D graphics. Which is ironic in itself.

Advertisement