Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of TG4

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I love TG4. Great for the GAA and also the GAA nostalgia. Wonderful little channel. Is what it is and im glad it didnt change and evolve into a 'woke monster' like that overpaid Frankenstein RTE.
    Do you watch it?

Its way more woke than RTE politically. It's just entertainment wise they are obsessed with daniel o donnell.

Do you watch it?

Its way more woke than RTE politically. It's just entertainment wise they are obsessed with daniel o donnell.

I watch it, but probably cant understand it for most part :D

I watch it, but probably cant understand it for most part :D
    :) Bláthnaid on ...radio na life is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hector hasn't gone away you know!
    He's still doing his travel shows. He had a new series on recently.

The station is necessary.

I don't think putting 'beautiful people' on screen is the answer.
    The content should speak for itself.

Their movies series are often more compelling than anything else on terrestrial TV in Ireland.

The channel commissions a good deal of content that wouldn't be made if tg4 didn't exist.

I heart it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There are some scammers in this. It makes the Irish language look like a black hole.

I can remember when TG4 started I knew a nordie fella who was a Gaeligóir and he was starting up a media company just to try milk the funding

From Tyrone and was a member of Fianna Fáil, that will tell you what sort of cowboy he was :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i,m not saying it should not exist,
    I,m sure its good if you like gaa,sport, I think most people won,t watch it
    since 90 per cent of people in ireland outside the gaeltacht, do not speak irish,
    and cannot understand spoken irish.
    Many people have cable tv,or sky tv .
    When you have 400 tv channels why would would bother to watch tg4 if you are not a gaa fan.And alot of young people watch streaming tv or youtube.
    It has to compete with bbc and american tv programs .
    Theres, lots of free tv channels on freesat even for those who have no acess to cable tv in rural area,s .

Bambi wrote: »
    I can remember when TG4 started I knew a nordie fella who was a Gaeligóir and he was starting up a media company just to try milk the funding

From Tyrone and was a member of Fianna Fáil, that will tell you what sort of cowboy he was :D
    There is a lot of that.

Its partially why we get so little for much with the Irish language. Its never talked about. But well that is what its all about for most people in the irish language ..the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Do you watch it?

Daniel O Donnell is on RTE as much if not more than TG4.

:) Bláthnaid on ...radio na life is good :)
    She has the most beautiful Connemara Irish which is odd because she grew up in Canada and is from the Meath Gaeltacht.

Hector is the same, a Meath man who sounds like he's from Rossaveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

She has the most beautiful Connemara Irish which is odd because she grew up in Canada and is from the Meath Gaeltacht.

Weren’t the Connies “planted” in Meath as a way to add a little chlorine to their, disturbingly close, gene pool?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Does anyone remember Sibin, loved that show and took part in the audience for it. I'll say one thing for TG4 it shows really good trad programmes which I think RTE have fallen back from, programmes like Geantrai, Siar An Bothar (basically Come West Along the Road) and the like. Also during the lockdown they were showing films like Scarface.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BBC 2 NI tonight 22:00 Nazi sa Ghaeltacht

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

They also showed Oz and The Wire before that.

Many a Thursday night at all hours adjusting the aerial on my portable in the bedroom to pick up the adventures of Ryan and Cyril O Reilly...what a struggle getting up for school the following day then, I think it used be on about 1q generally but sometimes it could be as late as 1 or 2 iirc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I think this thread has brought more fame to TG4 than their actual programming.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

In my experience 90 % of Irish people outside the gaeltacht can understand spoken irish but not speak it.

That just can't be true. 9 out of 10 people you know can understand Irish ? So if someone said two or three sentences more advanced than asking for permission to use the toilet they would completely understand???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hector is the same, a Meath man who sounds like he's from Rossaveal.

I posted this on another thread recently, but no harm putting it here as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A1th_Chairn

Long story short, most of the people who established the Meath Gaeltacht moved there from County Galway. :)

Weren’t the Connies “planted” in Meath as a way to add a little chlorine to their, disturbingly close, gene pool?
    I thought the Meath Gaeltacht was a much older tradition but you're right, seems they were all planters from Connemara. Revenge for Mr Cromwell.

That just can't be true. 9 out of 10 people you know can understand Irish ? So if someone said two or three sentences more advanced than asking for permission to use the toilet they would completely understand???
    Understand ..yes i would say so. Or the jistiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Zero interest in the Irish language myself.

However, I'm looking at TG4 right now.

Documentary on Lemmy on now. (You know, Lemmy a fiver from Motorhead.)

Where else would you see this type of sh1t?:confused:

Enjoying it immensely.

TG4 rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My mistake, i meant 90 per cent of irish people outside the gaeltacht cannot understand spoken irish,
    So say if you have 300 channels on cable tv why would you bother to watch a program on tg4 in .Unless you are a gaa sports fan.
    And many people have streaming tv on the internet.
    Maybe tg4 made sense when most people in ireland had just rte,itv,bbc,
    eg before satellite tv and cable tv was widely avaidable .
    i,d presume now its ratings now must be very low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

riclad wrote: »
    So say if you have 300 channels on cable tv why would you bother to watch a program on tg4 in .Unless you are a gaa sports fan.

Okay, so apart from all the live sport and highlights packages, the music, the news and weather, drama, documentaries, profiles of outstanding artists and historical figures, Irish dancing, sit-down interviews, children's entertainment, and opportunities to practise using Irish, apart from all that. What have the Romans ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Zero interest in the Irish language myself.

That's grand. Whatever floats your boat. Thanks for telling us.

I have zero interest in horse-racing myself. Could you direct me to a thread I could post in to tell the punters that? Thanks. If you have time, like.

However, I'm looking at TG4 right now.
    :confused:

Documentary on Lemmy on now. (You know, Lemmy a fiver from Motorhead.)[/ quote]

Never heard of him/her.

Where else would you see this type of sh1t?:confused:[/ quote]

In Spanish and Portuguese tv. There's a dating programme where all the
    suitors (no pun intended) start out bollyx naked and end up wearing clothes.

Enjoying it immensely.[/ quote]

I know. I know. Why can't these damned tv stations just show what I'm interested in and to hell with the rest.

TG4 rocks!

And rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I remember they used to show breaking bad (best tv series ever), curb your enthusiasm etc. do they still show great shows like that? RTE never showed these two series.

The Sinner also aired on TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

I think this thread has brought more fame to TG4 than their actual programming.

Lol sad but true id say.

It's a hidden gem, lots of very interesting stuff on it.

But the content is a bit light these days. I looked at the player there and they were advertising jump boys with ruby walsh. I saw that like 10 years ago, is there nothing more recent to promote?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ros Na Rún is its best show

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

feargale wrote: »
    I have zero interest in horse-racing myself. Could you direct me to a thread I could post in to tell the punters that? Thanks. If you have time, like.

:D:D:D:D

No comeback to that ! Well put. And exactly how a lot of threads tend to end up,
    "I have no interest in..." but ive come in to tell you all that … :confused::rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

BBC 2 NI tonight 22:00 Nazi sa Ghaeltacht

That was a cracking good programme. I wonder if TG4 did some kind of a link-up with BBC NI, pooling resources etc, is that the way to go?

Advertisement