Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If there is demand for tg4 then make it subscription so those who want it pay for it. But no, they leave it to the licence and tax payers to foot the bill for this white elephant .
    1. Daniel O Donnell needs to go.

2. Ros na Run is ****e

3. I think Irish speakers have a right to hear and view things in Irish. And i think the tax payers is obligated to help them with that.

4 Crisis eile was actually good.

5. Apart from Crisis eile i wouldnt watch Tg4 and any time i have switched it on its like watching the twilight zone. Maybe i got unlucky.

I am just being blunt here.

Maybe its all they can do with such poor funding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

TG4 is way better than RTE or TV3. That's been well known for a long time. Way more creative and they do all that with a tiny budget. Yeah, they do show English language programs too but who cares, it's a channel. It's sole purpose is not to "teach" people Irish. It's more geared towards the Gaeltacht populations. Even the English language programs (and French etc.) are well chosen- Survivor, The Wire, Oz, etc. Even Ros na Rún is very good. The fact that there isn't a high turnover of actors makes it way better and the storylines refer back to things that happened years ago. Like in a real village. Compared to Fair City or Eastenders where there is basically a brand new cast every few years. I'd say you just never watched anything on TG4 and are looking to create a post with a bit of controversy. Oohhh!

TG4 is way better than RTE or TV3. That's been well known for a long time. Way more creative and they do all that with a tiny budget. Yeah, they do show English language programs too but who cares, it's a channel. It's sole purpose is not to "teach" people Irish. It's more geared towards the Gaeltacht populations. Even the English language programs (and French etc.) are well chosen- Survivor, The Wire, Oz, etc. The fact that there isn't a high turnover of actors makes it way better and the storylines refer back to things that happened years ago. Like in a real village. Compared to Fair City or Eastenders where there is basically a brand new cast every few years. I'd say you just never watched anything on TG4 and are looking to create a post with a bit of controversy. Oohhh!

Are they obsessed with Daniel O'Donnell?

If so ...what is WRONG with the gaeltacht???
    Even Ros na Rún is very good.

The emperors new clothes ..no its not ...its terrible ..the writing is terrible ..the acting is terrible.

Im just being honest.

Crisis Eile was pretty funny ....maybe it just cost too much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

The emperors new clothes ..no its not ...its terrible ..the writing is terrible ..the acting is terrible.

Go to bed man. Getting riled up over TG4 at 2am.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thaks to TG4, I got to watch Borgen. I hope they do more foreign shows like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Are they obsessed with Daniel O'Donnell?

DoD might not be to your taste, but he is to many people. I guess you'd have us just watch Eastenders and get depressed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 jimmyohallogan

pinch of schizophrenic salt to every thread, you never can know who is a bot trying to subversively take down what you didnt know you hold dear x

Go to bed man. Getting riled up over TG4 at 2am.:confused:
    Yeah you are right ..not worth caring about.

Where do they get the money? RTE or a direct grant?
    Direct grant nothing to do with rte.

Directly from the exchequer. Some coming from revenue. It gets about 30 million per year in state aid.

Its a shoestring to be fair.

The Irish radio stations seem to do a much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm surprised people still watch TG4.

Why so?

• Advertisement

DoD might not be to your taste, but he is to many people. I guess you'd have us just watch Eastenders and get depressed.
    I don't watch that either.

If there is demand for tg4 then make it subscription so those who want it pay for it. But no, they leave it to the licence and tax payers to foot the bill for this white elephant .

Do you object to government funding for sport, cultural pursuits such as ballet and drama, piss-ups under the guise of "festivals attracting tourists" ( from 3 miles down the road after the local pub has shut while the "festival" enjoys an exemption)? Or do you only approve of funding for your pet projects and hold that those you dislike should be left out in the cold?

I'd say it's the rise of tbe internet which has partly contributed to the demise of TG4.

Not only the additional on-demand choice of programming, but TG4 was once the home of the x-rated French movie. it was the only channel on Irish TV that wasn't afraid to show a tit, excuse my language.

I think it needs to move online.

They will find money from all the yanks and brits who want to learn irish. It will be annoying as **** but it will bring in money.

I wouldn't focus too much on learning the native language until you've got a working knowledge of English to be honest.
    He's English is perfect. Its just informal. Which is actually a higher level of language often.

It's called disglossia. The presence of formal language and informal language in the same country.

Basically all language was colloquial at one point even that spoken by the ruling class. Walk down the road you wouldn't be understood so people went about standardizing it. Neutralizing it etc.

People realized this neutral language was acceptable by all. But it wasn't the way people really sounded or spoke.

Informal language is much less regular grammatically and much more creative.
    Formal language is much less personal.
    Informal: I donʼt believe that the results are accurate.
    Formal: The results are not believed to be accurate.

But formal language is just a tool its not the 'ideal'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I remember pronouncing the station as Tina G (TnaG) and TG Ceathair back in the day. But they just call it TG4 now. I remember as a kid I used to pray that the cartoons would be in English as I was lousy at Irish and didn't like reading the subtitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

TG4 is way better than RTE or TV3. That's been well known for a long time. Way more creative and they do all that with a tiny budget

What are they currently doing for the 13/22 market ? 10, 20 years, they'll have had a bilingual pop or movie show on at teatime, nowadays they're showing episodes of the weakest link from 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only time I ever watched TG4 is when RTE weren't showing Limerick in the hurling. Not a massive fan of sport in general, but I do like a good game of hurling, and really only interested enough to watch the big matches or Limerick playing, more for company for the father than anything. Does be a good family event with the 2 parents actually. Anyway, I can't speak/understand Irish aside from basic stuff to have passed a test 20 odd years ago, so it's extra annoying that the matches are in Irish. Sometimes, we watch it via Sky because of the delay, turn the tv audio down and listen to it on the radio. The delay via radio usually matches the delay with Sky, whereas if you were to watch it on Saorview the action is slightly ahead of the commentary on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

feargale wrote: »
    Do you object to government funding for sport, cultural pursuits such as ballet and drama, piss-ups under the guise of "festivals attracting tourists" ( from 3 miles down the road after the local pub has shut while the "festival" enjoys an exemption)? Or do you only approve of funding for your pet projects and hold that those you dislike should be left out in the cold?

I just object to wasted money.

Alvin and the chipmunks is on now. Pure irish culture there.

I mean its daniel o donnell hula hooping....its not even in irish..

Who would watch this?? It's Daniel O' Donnell working out with his wife.
    I bet this one watches it in bed with the husband

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I can’t even pick up RTE, tg4, virgin where I live because the digital signal is so pathetically weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I remember they used to show breaking bad (best tv series ever), curb your enthusiasm etc. do they still show great shows like that? RTE never showed these two series.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I can’t even pick up RTE, tg4, virgin where I live because the digital signal is so pathetically weak.

Retune if it's only gotten worse in the last few months as some frequencies were sold off to the mobile phone companies.

Get a proper aerial. Like one that's colour coded or matched to the frequency of the transmitter and with a decent gain. Avoid anything marked "Digital" or looks weird.

Or go Saorsat.
    It doesn't have virgin. But you can get most of their content on Freesat, earlier, and in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

They also showed Oz and The Wire before that.

Brought Curb Your Enthusiasm to Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember once TG4 showed Cruising, a little known Al Pacino movie set in the New York gay S & M scene. Theres a scene where a guy is fisted in a nightclub.

I just object to wasted money.[/ quote]

I didn't ask you about wasted money. One man's waste is another man's fertiliser. I asked you:

Well? No funding for GAA, rugby, soccer, Olympics etc? Are you ok with that? No digouts for the Abbey Theatre etc? No lottery money for golf clubs? Do tell us please.
    Alvin and the chipmunks is on now. Pure irish culture there.

I'm sure you could as likely see Alvin on Portuguese or Polish television. I remember a time when Telefís Éireann, as it was, broadcast for very limited hours, starting around 5 p.m. and finishing before midnight. Much in between was filled with crap cartoons from USA abd Eastern Europe, as well as cheap soaps from the USA and political documentaries with a heavy pro-American bias. The station just didn't have the resources to do better.
    TG4 is a small station which is never going to compete with the BBC for instance. If they can extend their viewing hours and boost their viewership and their advertising income by showing Alvin, why not?
    Also, the current lockdown hasn't improved the quality of television generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Country and Western channel as I like to call it. Any time I flicked past it was either Wee Daniel crooning or some dated cowboy movie.

Hated the children's stuff as a kid, no way was I going to bother watching cartoons in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

feargale wrote: »
    I just object to wasted money.[/ quote]

I didn't ask you about wasted money. One man's waste is another man's fertiliser. I asked you:

Well? No funding for GAA, rugby, soccer, Olympics etc? Are you ok with that? No digouts for the Abbey Theatre etc? No lottery money for golf clubs? Do tell us please.

I'm sure you could as likely see Alvin on Portuguese or Polish television. I remember a time when Telefís Éireann, as it was, broadcast for very limited hours, starting around 5 p.m. and finishing before midnight. Much in between was filled with crap cartoons from USA abd Eastern Europe, as well as cheap soaps from the USA and political documentaries with a heavy pro-American bias. The station just didn't have the resources to do better.
    TG4 is a small station which is never going to compete with the BBC for instance. If they can extend their viewing hours and boost their viewership and their advertising income by showing Alvin, why not?
    Also, the current lockdown hasn't improved the quality of television generally.

You are missing Murder She Wrote on TG4 right now. Some more classic Irish culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Some Yoke wrote: »
    Garraí glas is on daily, excellent program about growing your own veg and fruit, making preserves, foraging, making meals with wild plants, old Irish traditions and travelling all around the west

The last run of that was on RTÉ and not TG4 though oddly.

One thing that disappoints me (not the station's fault directly) is that they used to have a lot of Gaeilge in the ad breaks, just Irish versions of ads that were shown in English on RTÉ, but now it is rare to see such. They were a good learning opportunity. Dubbing can't be that dear but I suppose it is the advertiser's call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

My parents watch it and they are not Irish speakers.

But you are right, it does need a shake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I remember once TG4 showed Cruising, a little known Al Pacino movie set in the New York gay S & M scene. Theres a scene where a guy is fisted in a nightclub.

Oh yeah I saw that. Wasn't Cruising though if I remember rightly as that wouldn't mean anything to an Irish-speaking audience. Was Tabhair Dom do Lámh.

Advertisement