Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of TG4

Options
  • 10-07-2020 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Have management at TG4 become lazy and completely given up on new talent? One time it was an excellent place to foster new talent, Síle Seoige got a show just out of secondary School called Hollywood Anocht, which saw her regularly flying to LA to meet the stars. Hector's travel shows were another innovative creation. The channel launched the careers of The Seoige sisters, Hector, Dahi O'Si, Eoghan McDermott. But where are the next generation of irish speaking presenters? Have you seen the state of TG4s current schedule? Little House on the prairie, the west wing, the weakest link and the Gilmore Girls, shows that are in no way relevant to TG4s remit of promoting the Irish language.

Comments

It launched Eoghan McDermott?..

Close it down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Does it still have the talented weather ladies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

It always shows a classic western on Friday night.

Its an important channel leave it be.
    But i agree it neeeds a shake up.

Fiona Ní Fhlaithearta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Fiona Ní Fhlaithearta

Did a quick google image search out of curiousity....:eek:

https://www.independent.ie/incoming/e2185/31170790.ece/AUTOCROP/w1240h700/MM.jpg

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

mick087 wrote: »

Of course there's no harm in showing an odd classic, but isn't showing murder she wrote 7 days a week Overkill?

leoXX wrote: »
    Of course there's no harm in showing an odd classic, but isn't showing murder she wrote 7 days a week Overkill?

That depends. Is it the same episode each day of the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Does it still have the talented weather ladies?

That’s how it got the nickname TnaGee

Fiona Ní Fhlaithearta

Fiona is lovely..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Tonights line up.
    I cannot belive they showing the Irish RM i remember it ehrn i was a kid hated it then hate it now.
    The western looks promising at 20.30.

Gilmore Girls (R,S)
    18:05

An Aimsir Láithreach
    18:57

Nuacht TG4
    19:00

Damhsa na hÉigeandála
    19:30

The Bravados
    20:30

An Aimsir Láithreach
    22:20

By the Balls
    22:25

Siar sna 60idí
    00:05

The Irish RM (R,S)
    00:35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They used to show Breaking Bad back in the day too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

They also showed Oz and The Wire before that.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

They also showed Oz and The Wire before that.

We used to call Thursday nights, tele night, nah can’t go out mate, it’s Thursday night, tele night ....

Survivor followed by Oz...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Josh.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    They used to show Breaking Bad back in the day too

I preferred it when it was TG3

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Garraí glas is on daily, excellent program about growing your own veg and fruit, making preserves, foraging, making meals with wild plants, old Irish traditions and travelling all around the west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I'm surprised people still watch TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Has survivor on it.

The greatest show in television history.

It also does class documentaries still. Especially on sport.

And it shows the minor Gaelic and hurling and the club games

Also one of the presenters of rte school from home during covid is yerone who played Aifric for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

If there is demand for tg4 then make it subscription so those who want it pay for it. But no, they leave it to the licence and tax payers to foot the bill for this white elephant .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Its grand for a bit of GAA that other channels are not showing other then that meh! At the end of the day its built around basically a dead language so its not gonna be everyone's Cupan Tae.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mick087 wrote: »

Last one was Cowboys & Aliens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Its grand for a bit of GAA that other channels are not showing other then that meh! At the end of the day its built around basically a dead language so its not gonna be everyone's Cupan Tae.

I wouldn't focus too much on learning the native language until you've got a working knowledge of English to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where do they get the money? RTE or a direct grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I wouldn't focus too much on learning the native language until you've got a working knowledge of English to be honest.

Good man well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

I love TG4 but they do seem to have stepped away from great Irish documentaries. I loved Ceart agus Coir, Maru, anything about the revolutionary years. You could be guaranteed one good doc a week a couple of years ago. I dont see them anymore, I wonder is it an editorial decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

Where do they get the money? RTE or a direct grant?

They have 3 sources of income, the government give them an annual grant of about 33 million, RTE provide them their news service for free and they also take in a few euro in advertising & sponsorship

I'd say it's the rise of tbe internet which has partly contributed to the demise of TG4.

Not only the additional on-demand choice of programming, but TG4 was once the home of the x-rated French movie. it was the only channel on Irish TV that wasn't afraid to show a tit, excuse my language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 jimmyohallogan

tg4 is class. long may it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

leoXX wrote: »
    Have management at TG4 become lazy and completely given up on new talent? One time it was an excellent place to foster new talent, Síle Seoige got a show just out of secondary School called Hollywood Anocht, which saw her regularly flying to LA to meet the stars. Hector's travel shows were another innovative creation. The channel launched the careers of The Seoige sisters, Hector, Dahi O'Si, Eoghan McDermott. But where are the next generation of irish speaking presenters? Have you seen the state of TG4s current schedule? Little House on the prairie, the west wing, the weakest link and the Gilmore Girls, shows that are in no way relevant to TG4s remit of promoting the Irish language.

I mean its daniel o donnell hula hooping....its not even in irish..

In fairness this made me laugh...but for all the wrong reasons

Who would watch this?? It's Daniel O' Donnell working out with his wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

tg4 is class. long may it live.

I don't want it to die either .....but i need to cut off at least one arm

I can't believe this is on the tv.

Daniel Sa Bhaile....what were these people thinking?

Advertisement