Thread Closed  

02-12-2020, 15:23   #271
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary kk View Post
Lol me included.
You can make quite a lot of alcohol with not that much sugar and a packet of yeast and a few flavourings, I make a ginger beer easy enough that comes in at about 7.2%, I wonder what the biological footprint of that is.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-12-2020, 15:24   #272
El Tarangu

Quote:
And of the 66% cropland how much is for confectionery for alcohol and other products we don't necessarily need maybe we could rewind that land first. And no I don't expect anyone to agree to that.
Again - this post is an example from posters from the F & F forum asking posters on this forum to solve all the problems of agricultural production, of any kind.

Perhaps you should try on the beer, wine and spirits forum, because tbh I don't see how this question is relevant to this forum.
Thanks from:
02-12-2020, 15:26   #273
Gary kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
You can make quite a lot of alcohol with not that much sugar and a packet of yeast and a few flavourings, I make a ginger beer easy enough that comes in at about 7.2%, I wonder what the biological footprint of that is.
7.2% I would be ko after a pint.
(3) thanks from:
02-12-2020, 15:27   #274
Gary kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tarangu View Post
Again - this post is an example from posters from the F & F forum asking posters on this forum to solve all the problems of agricultural production, of any kind.

Perhaps you should try on the beer, wine and spirits forum, because tbh I don't see how this question is relevant to this forum.
Cool
02-12-2020, 15:30   #275
ElKavo

The boss of Eat Just called it "one of the most significant milestones in the food industries" but challenges remain.

Firstly, it is much more expensive to produce lab-grown meat than plant-based products.

Case in point: Eat Just previously said it would sell lab-grown chicken nuggets at $50 each.

The cost has since come down but it will still be as expensive as premium chicken.

SRC: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55155741

Although it was $50 the price has already come down. Thought the article doesn't give a todays price. It certainly wont take 30 years before we see these directly competing with the cheapest nuggets on the market. Tech moves quick, far quicker than any optimization in animal farming.
Advertisement
02-12-2020, 15:38   #276
Thelonious Monk

I wonder how it works... do they have to feed soy to some kind of meat lab monster?
Thanks from:
02-12-2020, 15:39   #277
ElKavo

Quote:
I wonder how it works... do they have to feed soy to some kind of meat lab monster?
Well 66% anyway :wink:
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2020, 15:52   #278
Banned

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...for-first-time

Cultured fake chicken approved in Singapore. I wonder how long before this kind of stuff will become available in Europe?
I read that earlier, sounds vile. There was a time when some people shifted towards vegetarian diets for health reasons, (myself included for almost 10 years). However veganism seems a very different animal (no pun intended) to me.
In the last few years there has been a huge drive towards producing all manner of vegan options to pretty much everything, much of it highly processed and not healthy. A few years ago I was in vegan supermarket in Germany and was struck by how processed and unnatural much of the food was. I only eat meat a few times a week but I'd never substitute it with any sort of fake meat.
(3) thanks from:
02-12-2020, 15:55   #279
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamai View Post
I read that earlier, sounds vile. There was a time when some people shifted towards vegetarian diets for health reasons, (myself included for almost 10 years). However veganism seems a very different animal (no pun intended) to me.
In the last few years there has been a huge drive towards producing all manner of vegan options to pretty much everything, much of it highly processed and not healthy. A few years ago I was in vegan supermarket in Germany and was struck by how processed and unnatural much of the food was. I only eat meat a few times a week but I'd never substitute it with any sort of fake meat.
Vegan or not, everyone eats too much processed food. It's a big market now for vegans but the staples of a good vegan diet would be pulses and veg.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-12-2020, 18:02   #280
gozunda

Quote:
Edit : Just to clarify I don't know because I am having a hell of a time trying to locate solid figures on what products are produced and value of the products produced.
I'd agree with that much of what is published is at best confusing.

I think what we do know is that 86% of livestock feed is not suitable for human consumption and much of that is crop residues and by-products

On the article quoted above
Quote:
Analysis of shipping data shows that Cargill imported 1.5m tonnes of Brazilian soya to the UK in the six years 
That works out at approx. 250,000 kg of Brazilian soybeans imported into the UK each year. And as you pointed out those soybeans are processed for their oil and the leftover meal is sent for animal feed.

Don't agree with growing soy there - but looking at total Soybean production for Brazil - that's a drop in the ocean tbh. Production figures show that more than 122 million metric tons of soy beans were grown in Brazil in 2019/ 2020.

In the same period combined domestic use and exports of soy beans to China made up 87% (106.6 million metric tons) of all soybeans grown in Brazil

Leaving approx 13 % of all Brazilian soybeans being exported to other countries globally - of which the main importers were the Netherlands, Iran and Spain Thailand and Turkey.

I'd like to see all countries stopping such imports from Brazil. Not sure how that would go down with China tbh.

At present approx two thirds of all soybeans are grown outside of Brazil with the United States as the leading soybean producing country globally. No reason Brazilian production cant be moved to other suitable regions which don't involve deforestation tbh.

Last edited by gozunda; 02-12-2020 at 20:12.
(3) thanks from:
02-12-2020, 21:59   #281
klopparama

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...for-first-time

Cultured fake chicken approved in Singapore. I wonder how long before this kind of stuff will become available in Europe?
It’s clear where all this is heading and it’s great to see.

The numbers in there are crazy and this is from the article - https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...eat-each-year/

This will be an easy transition for your average carnist to make and especially the younger carnist who wants to make better choices for, what will be, their planet.

It’s also good to see the terms ‘drug-free’ and ‘cruelty-free meat’ in that article as I’ve never understood the struggle to accept that those terms have common use.

The Guardian has always provided great journalism and I’m happy to make my regular contributions to access their online content. I would encourage more people to do this. I do it through PayPal.

This article gives hope and it’s great to think that within 20 years we could see that 60% of meat provided will not come from dead animals - https://www.theguardian.com/environm...animals-report

That’s great news for the environment and for the billions of animals that won’t face slaughter.

Last edited by klopparama; 02-12-2020 at 22:59.
(3) thanks from:
02-12-2020, 22:46   #282
Thelonious Monk

The Guardian have this as their main story tonight

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tonio-guterres

They are the only major news source that are taking the environmental crisis seriously. That is why I have given them contributions. Also love their sport content.
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2020, 23:09   #283
richie123

Quote:
Not yet, but some day, i reckon. I cant see it ever replacing meat totally it will just be another option, so you wont be out of a job any time soon.
Why wouldn't it replace meat it's basically the same thing ?
Only problem I have with this is it'll just be big conglomerate s that will be allowed produce it!
02-12-2020, 23:50   #284
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie123 View Post
Why wouldn't it replace meat it's basically the same thing ?
Only problem I have with this is it'll just be big conglomerate s that will be allowed produce it!
Well you're talking to a tiny subsection of people in this sub, most people would probably prefer to eat real animals, for now anyway. I just hope we can find a way to balance nature with food production, worldwide.
03-12-2020, 08:20   #285
richie123

Quote:
Well you're talking to a tiny subsection of people in this sub, most people would probably prefer to eat real animals, for now anyway. I just hope we can find a way to balance nature with food production, worldwide.
Lab grown has some battle to become mainstream.beef at the minute is produced below cost and it's dirt cheap ..vast majority on the planet don't care what they eat so long as it's cheap
Thanks from:
Thread Closed