Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Book review slot was good, I would agree that autobiographies would be better if they were released 5/10 years after a career has finished, rather than rush them out even before retirement, I forgot some of the things they mentioned about Champagne Football, shows how mental the whole thing is, I have zero interest in Cricket but that Breath of Sadness sounded quite interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,211 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hopefully something good comes from all this.

https://twitter.com/diylan/status/1332816387253936128?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Book review slot was good, I would agree that autobiographies would be better if they were released 5/10 years after a career has finished, rather than rush them out even before retirement, I forgot some of the things they mentioned about Champagne Football, shows how mental the whole thing is, I have zero interest in Cricket but that Breath of Sadness sounded quite interesting.

Every page of champagne football has 2 examples of unbelievable ineptitude and stupidity. Never mind the €100k cheque change of tone.

Clegg wrote: »
    Hopefully something good comes from all this.

https://twitter.com/diylan/status/1332816387253936128?s=09

Timing is too good when it is launching again this week.

"I want sovereign control over my brain"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's not often I cringe for the man, but I did cringe today when Ken attempted a "oh no you didn't" - with sass - in response to Murph at one point.

Touch of accidental Partridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Always love the annual book review but I just cant take to sinead o Carroll.

I think she did it last year too?

She is a Ewan MacKenna disciple, thats all that needs to be said about her

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

kilns wrote: »
    She is a Ewan MacKenna disciple, thats all that needs to be said about her

Is she?

Did Ewan have some involvement with TheJournal before he turned into that old woman from The Simpsons who throws cats at everyone she meets.

Is she?

Did Ewan have some involvement with TheJournal before he turned into that old woman from The Simpsons who throws cats at everyone she meets.

I dont think so but she refers people to his "honest reporting" when she gets challenged on twitter about things like Dublin GAA

BTW good description of Ewan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I don't get the hate people have for Sinead O' Carroll. Think she's a decent guest if not the most interesting.

As for the stuff about McKenna, don't know how you can infer she's a "disciple" based on some tweets about his Dublin GAA stuff which IMO was perfectly fine reporting and while he had an axe to grind it didn't change the facts of what he was reporting. Dublin GAA fans are way too precious about themselves and their teams.

McKenna has gone off the rails completely these days and I've muted him on twitter so no idea what he's at now but there was a time where he was a decent journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I don't get the hate people have for Sinead O' Carroll. Think she's a decent guest if not the most interesting.

As for the stuff about McKenna, don't know how you can infer she's a "disciple" based on some tweets about his Dublin GAA stuff which IMO was perfectly fine reporting and while he had an axe to grind it didn't change the facts of what he was reporting. Dublin GAA fans are way too precious about themselves and their teams.

McKenna has gone off the rails completely these days and I've muted him on twitter so no idea what he's at now but there was a time where he was a decent journalist.

There was a time that Gemma O'Doherty was a decent journalist too :)

He's not gone full G.O.D though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Most people find her type of feminism a turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What's her type of feminism?

No point getting into that here as its not the forum for it but while at the start it was right to ask geniune questions, but he is and always was far from impartial and he has used the figure to suit his personal agenda (similar to me stating look Germany get more EU funding than Ireland what a disgrace) and with that has gathered a following because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Not interested in going off on that kind of tangent but a bit of a weird claim to say "most" people are turned off by her type of feminism. I don't even really know what you mean by that but as I said I don't mind her at all and follow her on twitter without ever noticing anything I particularly disagreed with, certainly not enough to get annoyed about her being on the pod.

Anyway, I've no issue with her contributions to the podcasts and think she's been especially good on the book review every year.

US Murph talking Biden today, not sure what that will mean for this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

similar to me stating look Germany get more EU funding than Ireland what a disgrace

Bad example. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48256318

Thats exactly the point, Germany gets 12bn from the EU, Ireland gets 2bn. Thats where his arguments start and end, he screams look at how much in total they are getting compared to the other without any relevance whatsoever.

But thats not for here and he is not worth a thread on his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

US Murph talking Biden today, not sure what that will mean for this thread.

Deadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't know what you mean to be honest. She seems entirely reasonable to me.

If you really mean a certain proportion of listeners find that she's a female journalist talking about sport a turn off then I'd agree with you. Let's be honest here: that's the beginning and the end of the problem. Because if you think she ever says something crazily feminist on SC then, buddy, you need your head checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Thats exactly the point, Germany gets 12bn from the EU, Ireland gets 2bn.

Germany net PAYS 12bn into the EU, Ireland net pays 2bn.

Germany net PAYS 12bn into the EU, Ireland net pays 2bn.

Thanks for saying it. I chose not to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Another week of disproportionate coverage/gloating of a Man Utd defeat, compared to when they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Another week of disproportionate coverage/gloating of a Man Utd defeat, compared to when they win.

Never let your support of a team cloud your listening experience.

Never let your support of a team cloud your listening experience.

Lol, you are right.

As an aside, what’s the craic the political pod? Hasn’t been one in ages?

• Advertisement

Thanks for saying it. I chose not to bother.

Not true, Ireland pay net 229 million net not 2bn, Germany pay net 12bn yes, but they receive back 12bn also but pay approx 24 bn in

Jesus even I have forgot what the original point was :D

tomwaits48 wrote: »

Lampard and Jose are doing well, have to target someone else!

It doesn't bother me one bit to be honest, but I'd imagine if you supported one of the teams it would get tiresome

I'd agree with Ken, it would have been annoying if that Denver Broncos receiver was a success at QB.

US Murph reminiscing about doing live shows, Ken watching football in the corner ignoring everyone, people going in and out to the bar mid-show annoys me too.

Remember Eoin saying way back on OTB that Peter Collins kind of ignored him and talked a lot to some other lad about Hockey for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ken's lack of interest in work experience kids was brilliant because it's probably how most people feel when they get lumped with one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Murph missing from today's Podcast. Might sound harsh but its every bit as good without him. Wouldn't really miss him tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

I like Murph for the GAA talk but sometimes he comes off as forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

That chat with Sadlier re Jack Byrne seemed to go on forever, I nearly fell asleep at the wheel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

MercuryBoy wrote: »
    That chat with Sadlier re Jack Byrne seemed to go on forever, I nearly fell asleep at the wheel

Also...he did sfa in the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

MercuryBoy wrote: »

There was hot hot hot premier league action to review... and they squandered the podcast by talking about jack byrne/ league of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Lads, leave off Murph. He's the glue that keeps it all together. Richie on the other hand...he just seems to drain the life out of whatever topic he's on to talk about. I like the Players Chair and he's clearly suited to that style of interviewing but it's rare that he adds anything when on as a pundit.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Lads, leave off Murph. He's the glue that keeps it all together. Richie on the other hand...he just seems to drain the life out of whatever topic he's on to talk about. I like the Players Chair and he's clearly suited to that style of interviewing but it's rare that he adds anything when on as a pundit.

He peaked after the millwall Christmas party story, been chasing the dragon ever since

Brexit changes Irish football quite significantly. It’s worthy of discussion although they didn’t address could young Irish players go to portugal or Germany or other EU leagues now at any age.

healy1835 wrote: »

He’s not the glue at all. Ken is the glue....and most of the rest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

He [Murphy] is a f*%king great presenter, and you're all f*%king idiots. :D

Ken is good, but would be useless for anything that isn't soccer. Murph at least has interest across a range of sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If Ken is missing I don't bother listening to the football podcast. Seems pointless unless they have someone like Tim Vickery or Jonathan Wilson on to make it worth while.

Also, I was very surprised Eoin said Chris Wilder should STFU. Seemed slightly out of character for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

dulpit wrote: »
    Ken is good, but would be useless for anything that isn't soccer. Murph at least has interest across a range of sports.

Disagree. He's generally very funny when talking about other sports. A great "colour" commentator on other sports.

Disagree. He's generally very funny when talking about other sports. A great "colour" commentator on other sports.

He's good for other sports as a "as well as" contributor, but not "instead of", if that makes sense?

Ultimately though, I think all 5 of them are needed to make the show what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I am writing the following in a very light playful tone but I have noticed Ken has been shown to have been very wrong a lot of recent times and actually in fairness he has been saying this on-air, a few here:

>Gerrard at rangers (thought he would totally fail)
    >Dundalk guaranteed winners of the LOI for the next decade (on the basis of 1 Europa league campaign)
    >Stephen Kenny (as Ireland manager)
    >Mourinho (at spurs)
    >Pogba (that it essentially was Mourinho's problem)
    >Kane (being finished)
    >James Rodriguez (signing for Everton)
    >Everton being in with a decent chance at the top
    >Lampard (doing well)
    >Mount and Abraham (not being able to get into the lineup)
    >Kepa (thought it was just Lampard's tactics)
    >David Silva (his quality as Real Sociedad are on fire)
    >Atlectico Madrid (written off as the Simone has been there too long etc)
    >Bayern (that they can't compete as the TV revenue isn't in the Bundesliga)
    >Henderson (at Liverpool)
    >Brendan Rogers (career in general)
    >Moyes (at West Ham)
    >Neymar at PSG (Barca not looking a great place and PSG doing well in the CL and him playing very well)

....maybe we shouldn't necessarily agree with anything Ken Early has to say about football

Beersmith wrote: »
    I am writing the following in a very light playful tone but I have noticed Ken has been shown to have been very wrong a lot of recent times and actually in fairness he has been saying this on-air, a few here:

>Dundalk guaranteed winners of the LOI for the next decade (on the basis of 1 Europa league campaign)
    >Mourinho (at spurs)
    >Kane (being finished)
    >Lampard (doing well)
    >Moyes (at West Ham)
    >Neymar at PSG (Barca not looking a great place and PSG doing well in the CL and him playing very well)

....maybe we shouldn't necessarily agree with anything Ken Early has to say about football

So was Dunphy right then, you need to have played the professionally to truly understand it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pretty sure the "remember this is just a football game" in the US Murph intro was commentary interrupted by the news of John Lennon's murder, 40 years ago today.

Just y'know, saying.

>Mourinho (at spurs)
    >Kane (being finished)
    >Lampard (doing well)
    >Moyes (at West Ham)

Great post. I don’t recall all of them but I actually have a few to add.

Said around 2014 that Real should sell Ronaldo. A truly terrible call even at the time but especially when you look at what Ronaldo went on to do.

Sergio Ramos- a player Ken wrote off as a head case that is now proving indispensable to Real Madrid.

David Luiz proclaimed as the worlds best defender.

That Crystal Palace were kind of finished after sacking Ronald De Boer. Basically went on from strength to strength since under Hodgson.

One thing I think he was right about- Neymar’s move to PSG has been a bad career move. He would have done better to stay at Barca. Him leaving is basically why Barca are in a tailspin. If he stayed with Messi and Suarez they’d have won at least one more European cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Great post. I don’t recall all of them but I actually have a few to add.

Said around 2014 that Real should sell Ronaldo. A truly terrible call even at the time but especially when you look at what Ronaldo went on to do.

Sergio Ramos- a player Ken wrote off as a head case that is now proving indispensable to Real Madrid.

David Luiz proclaimed as the worlds best defender.

That Crystal Palace were kind of finished after sacking Ronald De Boer. Basically went on from strength to strength since under Hodgson.

One thing I think he was right about- Neymar’s move to PSG has been a bad career move. He would have done better to stay at Barca. Him leaving is basically why Barca are in a tailspin. If he stayed with Messi and Suarez they’d have won at least one more European cup.

Damn was meant to add ramos to it alright!

>Mourinho (at spurs)
    >Kane (being finished)
    >Lampard (doing well)
    >Moyes (at West Ham)

Ken = Not a real football man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

ken is a top football contributor. whether he has what it takes to be a top, top, top football contributor, i dont know.

Advertisement