Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

Hi guys
    I applied for the MA in Creative Digital Media- UX and Interaction Design in TUD weeks ago and my application is still pending. I understand someone on here has been accepted, anybody else? I'm getting so anxious. I contacted springboard, they told me to contact the college which I have done but they have yet to reply. I understand they have a lot to get through but it's driving me mental not having any updates! Has anyone else who has applied for this course heard from them? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Toashty91 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I applied for the MA in Creative Digital Media- UX and Interaction Design in TUD weeks ago and my application is still pending. I understand someone on here has been accepted, anybody else? I'm getting so anxious. I contacted springboard, they told me to contact the college which I have done but they have yet to reply. I understand they have a lot to get through but it's driving me mental not having any updates! Has anyone else who has applied for this course heard from them? :/

Also waiting to hear on my application for an Msc, not in TUD but it does appear that the Msc's take a bit longer than the others for getting back. The cut off for mine was the 31st July, i can see my application has been downloaded a few times so im just going to hang on until the closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Hi guys

I’m waiting on this aswell. I’ve been accepted on to another course at another institution but I’d honestly prefer TUD. My acceptance date for the other course is coming up soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I’m waiting on this aswell. I’ve been accepted on to another course at another institution but I’d honestly prefer TUD. My acceptance date for the other course is coming up soon!!

Reach out to the course contact & ask if they a. can let you know asap if possible b. if not, when will all be informed.

I just got a reply!

"All applications received are marked ‘pending’ on Springboard at the moment.

They are being assessed and this won’t be completed until around mid-August.

Then, all applicants will receive an email and the application ‘status’ will be amended on Springboard, to reflect decisions made."

Mid-August. So i don't understand how someone could have already been offered a place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

I just got a reply!

Then, all applicants will receive an email and the application ‘status’ will be amended on Springboard, to reflect decisions made."

Mid-August. So i don't understand how someone could have already been offered a place?

TU Dublin were the first to make me an offer out of the few applications I made and they only gave me a week to accept. Luckily for me it was my #1 pick so I was ok. The subject was Science in Computing so not the same situation as yours but still interesting to compare the two. They have been terrible to respond to my emails since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I just got a reply!

I got the same reply.

My other option for a different course has a deadline of the 04/08/20 - I’m not sure what to do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

Anyone had to get copies of transcripts of results?

If so how did you go about getting them?

I went to Kevin St DIT, Ive tried calling a few numbers but havent managed to speak to anyone yet.

Would admissions have access to results from over 20 years ago do you think?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone done interviews for the courses yet?

What type of questions were you asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IndigoStar

Anyone waiting on transcripts from Carlow IT?

Hubby waiting nearly two weeks now for a response and they aren't answering phones or emails.
    He doesn't even remember his student number it was over 25 years ago so we don't even know if he will ever hear back from them.
    It's holding up everything, only a leaving cert required for his chosen course so might just go ahead and apply

• Advertisement

Anyone heard from NUIG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Anyone heard from NUIG?

My wife has applied for a course there but hasn't heard a thing

Anyone had to get copies of transcripts of results?

If so how did you go about getting them?

I went to Kevin St DIT, Ive tried calling a few numbers but havent managed to speak to anyone yet.

Would admissions have access to results from over 20 years ago do you think?

Thanks

I requested my transcript months ago and they were very quick to reply although they only had to go back 5 years for mine. For TUD there is an online request form to fill out if you want your transcript. I think it's normally 25€ or something to post a copy to you but at the start of lockdown no one was in the offices so they just sent them through email. It should be the examinations office that deal with it.

https://www.dit.ie/studentservices/examinations/requestatranscriptofresults/

I requested my transcript months ago and they were very quick to reply although they only had to go back 5 years for mine. For TUD there is an online request form to fill out if you want your transcript. I think it's normally 25€ or something to post a copy to you but at the start of lockdown no one was in the offices so they just sent them through email. It should be the examinations office that deal with it.

https://www.dit.ie/studentservices/examinations/requestatranscriptofresults/

Thank you. They came back to me this evening with the same link.
    Thanks again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

IndigoStar wrote: »
    Anyone waiting on transcripts from Carlow IT?

I applied for a copy of my transcripts from Carlow on 8th July, and just got them in the post at some stage this week (sent to the office, only in today for the first time this week).

Hi everyone... just gotten my email to say I have been accepted into the Springboard that I applied for :D

I am trying not to get my hopes up just yet because it honestly sounds too good to be true...

I have a part time job (in retail) that I've had for over a year. Worked through COVID etc. It says 'dept. of education will pay 90% of fees for those in employment' and so I will be liable for 10% - is this true?? The course has nothing to do with my retail job. Does it only matter that I am employed? Or does it have to be a job within the field of the course??

I presume if they have accepted me they have checked all of this out, since I gave my PPS number and details of the job. But I don't want to believe it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

Hi everyone... just gotten my email to say I have been accepted into the Springboard that I applied for :D

I am trying not to get my hopes up just yet because it honestly sounds too good to be true...

I have a part time job (in retail) that I've had for over a year. Worked through COVID etc. It says 'dept. of education will pay 90% of fees for those in employment' and so I will be liable for 10% - is this true?? The course has nothing to do with my retail job. Does it only matter that I am employed? Or does it have to be a job within the field of the course??

I presume if they have accepted me they have checked all of this out, since I gave my PPS number and details of the job. But I don't want to believe it yet...

It doesn't need to relate to your current field, and yes, you pay just 10% :) best of luck!

Would you mind telling us what college you applied to just to get an idea of which ones are making progress through the applications

This is it wrote: »
    It doesn't need to relate to your current field, and yes, you pay just 10% :) best of luck!

Thanks... what a great initiative :) I'm amazed. Just happened to hear about it by chance on the radio.

Would you mind telling us what college you applied to just to get an idea of which ones are making progress through the applications

Apologies for the double post.

It's a post-graduate diploma in NUI Galway, in the business school.

I applied on the 28th and got an acceptance email today.

• Advertisement

Thanks... what a great initiative :) I'm amazed. Just happened to hear about it by chance on the radio.

Yeah, I availed of it years ago and found full time employment. I'm going back in September to upskill. It's incredibly expensive to go back to college so like you said, a great initiative and allows unemployed and employed alike head back to upskill or change career.

Thanks and best of luck with your course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Pity one can't get in as mature student on most of these.

I didn't meet the requirements on any of the ones I was after.

I stay in the my **** job.

FFVII wrote: »

I didn't know they had places listed for mature students or not. Any IT course I looked at didn't specify anything regarding mature students, I'd imagine a large majority of those availing of this will be mature students, considering mature in the eyes of third level institutions is 23...

What courses specify no mature students?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Is it because you don't have a L7/L8 in something else?

Congrats. I applied to NUIG on the 12th and still haven't heard from them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

Congrats. I applied to NUIG on the 12th and still haven't heard from them :(

I asked them when they might get back to me as I applied on the 30th of June and they said they hope to be back to people next week. I applied for the Diploma in Software Engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's no age issue for any of these courses.

There are academic requirements (L7/L8) though and failing that you need to show previous experience, ie. an RPEL, in lieu of your lack of academic qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

What is the difference between a "Springboard" Course and a "Fetch" Course?
    Are they aimed at different
    Employment sectors?
    Ages?
    Past education History?
    The only difference i see are the stock photos on the Fetch home page are of older more mature looking people and the site itself is very business like, whereas springboard is all colorful fun colors and bright so im guessing fetch is for older people plus 30 that never went to college or career change and springboard for people under 30 ?

https://springboardcourses.ie/
    https://www.fetchcourses.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭bren2001

What is the difference between a "Springboard" Course and a "Fetch" Course?
    Are they aimed at different
    Employment sectors?
    Ages?
    Past education History?
    The only difference i see are the stock photos on the Fetch home page are of older more mature looking people and the site itself is very business like, whereas springboard is all colorful fun colors and bright so im guessing fetch is for older people plus 30 that never went to college or career change and springboard for people under 30 ?

https://springboardcourses.ie/
    https://www.fetchcourses.ie/

Springboard are courses run by Universities/ITs to a much higher level then fetch. The purpose is to upskill people in areas where there are employment opportunities in the economy. It is not for under 30's, it is for people of all ages. Based on my own experience, the majority would be 35-45. This will be extended by HCI Pillar 1 where full 1 year courses will be available enabling people to meet entry requirements where they did not have them before for 3rd level courses e.g. someone lacking maths for an Engineering Masters.

Springboard and HCI Pillar 1 are very much about career change.

Fetch is not run by Universities. They would not deliver material to as high a standard as Universities. Where Universities are level 7-9, I suspect Fetch is 3-5. They have apprenticeships, traineeships and more basic and fundamental courses compared to Springboard.

I would suspect the students to be older in Fetch.

Advertisement