Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diageo giving 26 weeks paid paternity leave to fathers

• 22-05-2019 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭

link here

Great for employees of Diageo, but don't know how any normal small or medium business's could do anything similar. Bit mad paying a fellow wages for half a year all because he managed to get someone pregnant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

2smiggy wrote: »
    Bit mad paying a fellow wages for half a year all because he managed to get someone pregnant

...or giving responsible fathers the opportunity to be a larger part of their childs first few months of life.

My first child is due this year and I'll get 10 days and am glad of it. If my employer was willing to give me 26 weeks paid leave, I'd take it. As it stands, I've not taken a minute of leave this year so far so I can be there to support my wife in whatever way I can once the baby arrives.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Jesus.... imagine your the type of person that wants 7/8/9/10 kids....... you'd be setup :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

If its fully paid leave then thats great, as 240 pw from the govt normally falls well short of the actual salary, which not a feasibile option for everyone.

I had 2 weeks fully paid by my previous employer, current employer only offers the govt paternity leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

Rhyme wrote: »
    ...or giving responsible fathers the opportunity to be a larger part of their childs first few months of life.

My first child is due this year and I'll get 10 days and am glad of it. If my employer was willing to give me 26 weeks paid leave, I'd take it. As it stands, I've not taken a minute of leave this year so far so I can be there to support my wife in whatever way I can once the baby arrives.

Dead right

I don't have children but it's a positive move by them to provide this type of leave.

Its very good from an employer.

God forbid, if a family have a newborn with medical issues, the current leave for fathers is quite inadequate and many resort to using annual leave.

I support the 26 weeks for the father also.

Yours sincerely
    A male :)

PS best of luck to your family and I hope everything goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Kimbot wrote: »
    Jesus.... imagine your the type of person that wants 7/8/9/10 kids....... you'd be setup :P

Irish twins. You'd be off work more than on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Generally those are the folks with 52 weeks maternity leave per year regardless of kids or not...

I'd hope they've written limitations into it. There would always be one employee that would take the piss, a story would circulate, feature in the papers and then it would ruin it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd hope they've written limitations into it. There would always be one employee that would take the piss, a story would circulate, feature in the papers and then it would ruin it for everyone.

In Lithuania, for women, they get 1 year fully paid, and an optional 2nd year at 50% salary.

A 'colleague' of my OH had 3 kids at 2 year intervals. Wasn't seen in the office for 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

great if you can get it, my point is I cannot see how any normal business can afford to pay 26 weeks leave every time some one has a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm aware of facebook doing something similar. An ex-colleague had a little 'un due within 3 weeks of starting with them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

great if you can get it, my point is I cannot see how any normal business can afford to pay 26 weeks leave every time some one has a child.

Every business already does it for maternity leave at a rate specified in your contract.

Short answer, unfortunately, they can't.

Same way my employer can't afford to pay my health insurance, dental, gym membership* etc. But two of my friends get all of these benefits from their employer. They had to work their asses off to get to their positions, made huge sacrifices and are now top of their game. As far as I'm concerned, they earn those bonuses.

*I don't go to the gym, running around after hyperactive patients all day keeps me fit :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

They would be better lowering the price of Guinness on battered pub owners and ripped off punters, they are a disgrace.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Actually,
    Research in Spain is showing that men that take paternity leave actually tend to have LESS children

Maybe they realise its a lot of work?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/20/paid-paternity-leave-study-spain-men-fewer-children
    Men who receive paid paternity leave want fewer children, study finds

In saying that I think extending perternity leave for a men is a good way of leveling the playing field for men/women in the job market, I'd get about two weeks if I had a kid tomorrow and I'd like to have more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

That type of person generally doesn’t work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every business already does it for maternity leave at a rate specified in your contract.

For the majority of non state sector workers, the rate in the contract is simply state maternity benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

Proper order. It's more of this we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

All Diageo employees will be eligible for the programme regardless of how they become parents.

Gets job in Diageo - heads for Coppers immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So just as a matter of interest do they have to prove they are actually supporting the child and caring for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its a great idea with one or two cavities the majority of it should be take after their partner returns to work that way the child could be with a parent for most of the first year of their life and provided the man is not checking in with work so it becomes the norm to see both men and woman dropping out of work for 6 months to look after a baby no matter how senior the person is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Think women are saying this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

theteal wrote: »
    I'm aware of facebook doing something similar. An ex-colleague had a little 'un due within 3 weeks of starting with them :D

I know a couple of lads who work there 4 months paid can be broken up a bit like 2 months when the baby is born and 2 later but has to be in the first year, they are quite pushy that you take it apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It's impossible. And that's why women of a certain age are discriminated against in the selection process whether they like it or not.

Hoboo wrote: »
    It's impossible. And that's why women of a certain age are discriminated against in the selection process whether they like it or not.

However as paternity leave for both parents becomes the norm that will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's nothing we can do about nature.

That's the way it is, we can't impregnate men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Life is short, OP. Fathers getting to spend more time with their newborns? Brilliant, in my view.

That is more perception that reality. I have come across woman who got promoted while on maternity leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

26 weeks putting up with her **** of a mother and sisters calling around with their little brats everyday and expecting me to make tea and entertain them. No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Edgware wrote: »
    26 weeks putting up with her **** of a mother and sisters calling around with their little brats everyday and expecting me to make tea and entertain them. No thanks.

God help them

A few days is enough for any man

mariaalice wrote: »
    That is more perception that reality. I have come across woman who got promoted while on maternity leave.

No that's very much reality. And as more legislation covers men it will hit both genders.

I'm talking about sme's here, not large national/international companies.

No that's very much reality. And as more legislation covers men it will hit both genders.

I'm talking about sme's here, not large national/international companies.

So Sme's are going to stop employing men and women bewteen the ages of 25 and 45 hardley likely.

mariaalice wrote: »
    So Sme's are going to stop employing men and women bewteen the ages of 25 and 45 hardley likely.

No one said stop. But when given a choice of two candidates, where possible, it plays and will continue to play a factor in the decision making process. Its never discussed, it's an unwritten rule. The 9 grounds go out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

So if you kept getting two women pregnant in rotation you'd never have to go to work..?

I just finished two weeks paternal leave and I don't think it's nearly enough. Couldn't leave the hospital for the first week, then only getting settled home and I'm back to work. It's exhausting at the start and with me back so soon it all falls on my partner to do everything. I know its changing but it should be two months minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good example to the kids. Work hard at school and college, get good job with big well resourced company, get well paid and lots of family friendly benefits for when you have your babies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

In my day we were lucky to get 20mins down the local to "wet the babys head", before heading off back down the mines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A week for every county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

5 weeks is probably plenty. Lads don't go out much during the week and there is only so much golf anyone can do before getting a bit bored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

link here

Great for employees of Diageo, but don't know how any normal small or medium business's could do anything similar. Bit mad paying a fellow wages for half a year all because he managed to get someone pregnant

Nobody is expecting small or medium companies to do similar. And the 26 weeks isn't because he managed to get someone pregnant....otherwise it would be called Prenatal getting someone pregnant leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Nobody is expecting small or medium companies to do similar. And the 26 weeks isn't because he managed to get someone pregnant....otherwise it would be called Prenatal getting someone pregnant leave.

But you don't get leave for getting someone pregnant - that'd be called conception leave.

You get paternity leave 8 / 9 months later when a baby is born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    But you don't get leave for getting someone pregnant - that'd be called conception leave.

You get paternity leave 8 / 9 months later when a baby is born.

Ok...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

The Feminists won't be happy. Could undermine the myth.

All of a sudden they can return to work in order to be on a level playing field with men for promotions etc to balance the gender "wage gap" if they choose while the man stays at home and looks after the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think all companies should offer this to fathers.
    We seem to be essentially forgotten about when it comes to our role in this.
    We are just as important as the mother and deserve to be at home and help them both for as long as needed.
    Now. Reduce the working week to 4 days and it's a utopia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Jet Black wrote: »
    So if you kept getting two women pregnant in rotation you'd never have to go to work..?

Someone tell TaxAhCruel
    Jet Black wrote: »
    I just finished two weeks paternal leave and I don't think it's nearly enough.

We had both of our kids in Germany. It's great here. You get 14 months Parental Leave between you to take pretty much as you want. With the only stipulation being you can take a maximum of 12 months per person. So you can split it 12-2 10-4 7-7 or whatever way you want after that.

And you get, as I recall, 67% of your Salary for that time which is paid not by your company or the government, but your medical insurance I think.

If you decide not to go back to work after that straight away however.... you get no money but your company is obliged to keep your job, or a justifiably comparable and equivalent position, open for a further 2 years.

So there is at least one woman I know here who works for us, but I have not actually seen her for 5 years. She could come back any day now though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

KSU wrote: »

All of a sudden they can return to work in order to be on a level playing field with men for promotions etc to balance the gender "wage gap" if they choose while the man stays at home and looks after the family.

I've never heard of a feminist who doesn't want this. It's better for both genders. Gives fathers more time with the parents and creates gender equality. It creates a better work/life balance too.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/may/22/how-stockholm-became-the-city-of-work-life-balance

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

KSU wrote: »

To me this is what the real feminists should be pushing for more of.
    It would eliminate any 'Bias' in job selection due to absence related to pregnancy. .

As you point out it would show that 'wage gap' would exist with men who stay at work more vs men who take the 26 weeks rather than it being base don gender alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Someone tell TaxAhCruel

We had both of our kids in Germany. It's great here. You get 14 months Parental Leave between you to take pretty much as you want. With the only stipulation being you can take a maximum of 12 months per person. So you can split it 12-2 10-4 7-7 or whatever way you want after that.

And you get, as I recall, 67% of your Salary for that time which is paid not by your company or the government, but your medical insurance I think.

If you decide not to go back to work after that straight away however.... you get no money but your company is obliged to keep your job, or a justifiably comparable and equivalent position, open for a further 2 years.

So there is at least one woman I know here who works for us, but I have not actually seen her for 5 years. She could come back any day now though :)

I remember this story from a while back

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/08/german-metal-workers-strike-in-bid-to-gain-28-hour-working-weeks
    Workers have downed tools at more than 80 companies across Germany as the country’s biggest union stepped up its campaign for a 28-hour working week to allow employees to improve their work-life balance.

In what is shaping up to be the biggest industrial dispute in the metalwork sector in three decades, more than 15,000 employees took part in warning strikes at factories including those of the carmaker Porsche.

The IG Metall union, which represents around 3.9 million workers, wants every employee in the metal and electrical sector to have the option to reduce their working hours for a total period of two years, with the automatic right to return to full-time employment afterwards.

German family policy took a shift in 2007 when a so-called “educational” benefit mainly aimed at mothers was replaced with a “parental benefit” that can be shared between the mother and father of a child.

Under the union proposals, workers who opt for a 28-hour week in order to take care of young children or ageing parents would get an additional allowance of €200 per month. Those who want to take a break from doing shift work with a high health risk would be compensated with €750 per year

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Grayson wrote: »
    I've never heard of a feminist who doesn't want this. It's better for both genders. Gives fathers more time with the parents and creates gender equality. It creates a better work/life balance too.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/may/22/how-stockholm-became-the-city-of-work-life-balance

What I am saying is that if this were to take off suddenly the figures that are cited (14% pay gap between men and women ) would start to normalize as working hours levelled off somewhat (men in Ireland work 11% more hours on average which is not accounted for in the wage gap)

It undermines the argument that is being regurgitated.

I think 1st and 2nd wave feminists might welcome it but it completely destroys third wave feminist arguments for superior rights to more pay (similar to the eerie silence which came out after the Google wage gap study which resulted in large scale pay increases for males who were found to be underpaid compared to the female colleagues)

Advertisement