Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gallagher Premiership 2018/2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Power cut at the rec. Ref Mic and TMO not working.

Bath 0-0 Sale at half time. Inspiring stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Power cut at the rec. Ref Mic and TMO not working.

And that is the highlight of the first half.
    Bath 0 v Sale 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Finished 7-7

#ItsThePro14sFault

Finished 7-7

#ItsThePro14sFault

There was nothing at all on show for Leinster to be worried about. Though they can't be that bad next week. I think w can expect the match to be played on a very heavy pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Except the Premiership can just change their regulations with the stroke of a pen and make all these players eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There was nothing at all on show for Leinster to be worried about. Though they can't be that bad next week. I think w can expect the match to be played on a very heavy pitch.

The weather was really truly awful so I wouldn't take that performance as what we'll get next week, but there was some dire rugby played.

The Rec looks like it'll still be in bits by next week, the pitch was in bad shape by the end of today's game. Unless it's dry for a couple straight days next week it'll be a bog.

Except the Premiership can just change their regulations with the stroke of a pen and make all these players eligible.

How would that work with European Cup and Work Visa's though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

How would that work with European Cup and Work Visa's though

No one knows what the visa situation will be.

The European cup’s rules won’t be a problem though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wouldn't this affect Welsh and Scottish teams in the Pro14 as well?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

troyzer wrote: »
    Wouldn't this affect Welsh and Scottish teams in the Pro14 as well?

Would it affect Ulster?

Would it affect Ulster?

Good Friday agreement terms might cover that

Would it affect Ulster?

Good Friday agreement terms might cover that

Yeah it would. Worst case scenario they'd have to get Irish passports if they didn't already have one which they're entitled to by birth.

I'm surprised that we're only three months from this and this is the first time somebody in the media has raised the alarm.

There's an update on the article which says that the RFU have changed the rule to maintain the status quo to the end of the season. Nothing beyond that.

Are we actually looking at a scenario where the British teams will be forfeiting European games come March? They'll need an EPCR rule change to save them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Franno's article this week is a good one.
    He says that the premiership is a 2 horse race and that the rest are way back.
    He also mentions the influx of foreign players and in his opinion it detracts from the English game.
    Similarly, Geordan Murphy is under the kosh as the Tigers are in the relegation zone. Apparently, there's chatter to bring in Martin Johnson.
    All in all the standard of the premiership is poor. Franno thinks the Leinster seconds would beat most of them.

The rfu have lost the plot imo. Wasps are on the edge of bankruptcy and several teams are in the red.
    The players are flogged week in, week out. How the rfu turns it around is anyone's guess. They have recently laid off staff and it looks bleak.

Brexit may make things worse in the short term. Who knows how sterling is going to fare. I assume foreign players would have a tougher time getting work visas. Although I have no clue how Brexit will affect the rfu, I think it will probably be detrimental to begin with.

How are these clubs able to exist if the majority are financially insolvent? I think the rfu should have sought investors, with the rfu maintaining control of the clubs.
    The player welfare is awful. It's nuts.

That said, the IRFU look like business zen matters compared to the rfu. It will be a sad day for rugby if the Wasps fold. I never thought I'd see this day.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    He also mentions the influx of foreign players and in his opinion it detracts from the English game.
    Similarly, Geordan Murphy is under the kosh as the Tigers are in the relegation zone. Apparently, there's chatter to bring in Martin Johnson.
    All in all the standard of the premiership is poor. Franno thinks the Leinster seconds would beat most of them.

The rfu have lost the plot imo. Wasps are on the edge of bankruptcy and several teams are in the red.
    The players are flogged week in, week out. How the rfu turns it around is anyone's guess. They have recently laid off staff and it looks bleak.

Brexit may make things worse in the short term. Who knows how sterling is going to fare. I assume foreign players would have a tougher time getting work visas. Although I have no clue how Brexit will affect the rfu, I think it will probably be detrimental to begin with.

How are these clubs able to exist if the majority are financially insolvent? I think the rfu should have sought investors, with the rfu maintaining control of the clubs.

That said, the IRFU look like business zen matters compared to the rfu. It will be a sad day for rugby if the Wasps fold. I never thought I'd see this day.

It'll probably take a few teams like Wasps to go bankrupt and let the Premiership be populated by championship teams and lower who to date have relied on acadmies rather than foreign imports.

Hopefully it would then become part of the culture.

The fear of course is that this is how Exeter got to the top but now they're splashing out on players like Hogg.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the majority of your post assumes the RFU have any kind of control over clubs.... in reality the have little if none.... and both union and clubs in england are pulling in different directions and have different priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Similarly, Geordan Murphy is under the kosh as the Tigers are in the relegation zone. .

Franno with the early scoop as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for Wasps.

Borrowed a **** ton of money to build a team at probably the least sustainable moment in rugby history.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for Wasps.

Borrowed a **** ton of money to build a team at probably the least sustainable moment in rugby history.

I'm pretty sure the stadium is the main reason they're so indebted.

Stadiums in general are the main cause of debt in the premiership, not players.

I'm pretty sure the stadium is the main reason they're so indebted.

Stadiums in general are the main cause of debt in the premiership, not players.

Renting stadiums is the main cause of debt usually. But Wasps own the Ricoh. There are upkeep costs and they have to finance the debt they used to buy it but I follow their financial statements and the costs are spiraling each year. Admin expenses went up by 4.5m last year. And their auditor resigned.

Franno being given credit for writing guff that was readily apparent to casual fans months ago. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Franno with the early scoop as usual.

Finger right on the pulse!

Renting stadiums is the main cause of debt usually. But Wasps own the Ricoh. There are upkeep costs and they have to finance the debt they used to buy it but I follow their financial statements and the costs are spiraling each year. Admin expenses went up by 4.5m last year. And their auditor resigned.

https://twitter.com/PaulMorganrugby/status/1072165444885323781?s=19

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/PaulMorganrugby/status/1072165444885323781?s=19

Is that a joke?

Is that a joke?

Dunno.

Errlloyd posted a few times about the bonds etc. Seems to be fairly risky way of doing stuff but this guy seems to think it's all good

Is that a joke?

Dunno.

Errlloyd posted a few times about the bonds etc. Seems to be fairly risky way of doing stuff but this guy seems to think it's all good

I was referring more to the tweet hailing the Wasps as a well run club.

I think he genuinely believes what he is saying

I think he genuinely believes what he is saying

Bizarre. I thought he was joking. Wasps are a basket case.

• Advertisement

Well he is the Communications Director of Premiership Rugby. It’s in his best interests to pretend that everything is fine and dandy.

Bizarre. I thought he was joking. Wasps are a basket case.

Bonds of €35m plus losses up this year again. Errlloyd posted about the bonds a while back, I didn't really understand it but they basically built up debt and it's getting bigger year on year. Must be over €40m at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The Icebergs are getting Icebergier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

this-is-fine.0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Guardian reporting that the Premiership clubs have agreed to sell 35% of the league to CVC for £230 million.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/11/premiership-rugby-hopes-to-finalise-cvc-deal-by-christmas

Not sure this is a good idea for them, either short term or long term. A few probably need the upfront cash I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Not a good sign for the Heineken Cup.
    Where are the new investors going to get all this extra money from sponsorship and tv?
    Unless they are going to tempt the S African Super Rugby sides up north.

This investment company bought out rights in F1 already.

Not a good sign for the Heineken Cup.
    Where are the new investors going to get all this extra money from sponsorship and tv?
    Unless they are going to tempt the S African Super Rugby sides up north.

This investment company bought out rights in F1 already.

It's awful for English rugby as well. Whatever about the RFU struggling against the clubs, it'll be even worse now against a foreign, private third party.
    “It always comes down to a few issues and we will work through them. Nothing is done until it’s done and it will not drag on. With the collective will around the table today, we can find the answers to those items. If we get there, it will be a landmark moment that will allow clubs to make the next wave of investment on grounds and fan experience Kieran Read, Sonny Bill Williams and Sam Whitelock.”

Fixed it. Anyone getting Brexit vibes from the nothing is agreed until everything is agreed bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This Exeter v Saracens game is great. Owen Farrell just mouthed off to the ref to concede a penalty. Kick to Saracens half and a few phases later Exeter score a try. Schalk Burger has just been yellow carded and given away a penalty try.

It's 24-6 to Exeter with 10 minutes left. Saracens haven't lost a game since the Champions Cup defeat to Leinster last season.

Exeter score the bonus point try in the final minute of the game. It came from a 14 man lineout.

31-13 at full time. First time Saracens have been beaten in 8 months. Exeter go top of the league.

Exeter score the bonus point try in the final minute of the game. It came from a 14 man lineout.

31-13 at full time. First time Saracens have been beaten in 8 months. Exeter go top of the league.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Underhill injured. Big loss for Bath and England.

Underhill injured. Big loss for Bath and England.

We should really get a Six Nations thread going. There are loads of injuries already which will affect the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I saw the highlights on c5 the other day. Some great games recently.
    The hit Faf de Klerk put in on Billy Twelvetrees was something else, turned the ball over and Sale got a try.

Underhill did a number on Leavy and VdF at the Rec. Would be a huge blow for England if he missed the opening game.

The statement from Bath says he's going for a scan on a ligament injury. It's only a month until the opening fixture against England. Hopefully he's back in time for the other fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

BT Sport 1, Sale 18-13 Saracens at half-time just now.
    Good match so far.
    Billy V with an early try for Sarries, looks to be fully fit again.
    Sale fought back well, Solomona with a nice try.
    Ashton looking incisive for Sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Is the atmosphere this ****e for all Sale games? Went over for the Connacht challenge cup match last year and they were nearly outnumbered by 300 Connacht fans but this looks a decent size crowd and they're barely applauding penalties Sale are winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

21-13 with 15 to play. I think Saracens will get it together in time but Sale well worth their lead. Would be more too if the referee allowed a perfectly good try off a quick line out which he called back as he wanted to penalise Saracens for dissent instead.

FdK is having a brilliant game. He leaves nothing in the tank.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    21-13 with 15 to play. I think Saracens will get it together in time but Sale well worth their lead. Would be more too if the referee allowed a perfectly good try off a quick line out which he called back as he wanted to penalise Saracens for dissent instead.

FdK is having a brilliant game. He leaves nothing in the tank.

Is that allowed? Obviously players are a mile offside, but can you be offside if you're out of play?

Advertisement